Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

While we're all cooped up inside, here're some Loopy Pro updates

Comments

• Have to say, with midi looping, every review becomes Ableton Live on ios, finally!

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Yep, listen to @McD for once. I mean it, only this time. No more, no less

Now that's when I knew I must be wrong... more or less.

• I wonder whether a much desired feature in an update brings a fresh new wave in sales. Regarding the MIDI looping I'm guessing the people that would bite only if it had this might well be a bit more clued up. Judging by the inevitable need to mention to casual customers that MIDI utilities don't produce sound.

• @SpartanClownTide said:
    I wonder whether a much desired feature in an update brings a fresh new wave in sales. Regarding the MIDI looping I'm guessing the people that would bite only if it had this might well be a bit more clued up. Judging by the inevitable need to mention to casual customers that MIDI utilities don't produce sound.

Yeah, that's an argument in favour of eking out updates over a while, to stay in the press. I've done that in the past, and it's seemed to be quite successful.

That's a good point about people after the MIDI feature knowing to keep an eye out...could be, although I suspect there'll still be plenty who will see the initial release press, but might miss press for later updates, just because initial release press is so much bigger.

• @Michael said:

That's a good point about people after the MIDI feature knowing to keep an eye out...could be, although I suspect there'll still be plenty who will see the initial release press, but might miss press for later updates, just because initial release press is so much bigger.

Adding MIDI looping isn't going to take that long I'm guessing. So having a 'major' (in terms of functionality) update hot on the heels of the initial release does feel a bit odd somehow. I can see how that might be missed, and pointing to the contents of the road map as a selling point is, well, a bit crap. Though It would be nice to have it a couple of weeks earlier 😀 especially in these strange times.

• Yeah, you guessed wrong – it’s a colossal job!

• @Michael do you envision the MIDI looper also having an editor? Just curious, count me in either way :)

• Do Loopers as a category have their our special user base since hardware loopers are used by Guitarist doing solo acts and EDM types using lots of small hardware units? Does the existing Loopy product continue to have a steady flow of users discovering the power of IOS in place of the Boss Loopstation hardware? or has the market been saturated with too many new choices like the TC Electronics Ditto options. If this is too close to private data please ignore my curiosity.

• @Michael said:
    Yeah, you guessed wrong – it’s a colossal job!

Then if it's a few months off.. I'm on the side of V1.1 though of course purely out of self interest. Personally I wouldn't get into MIDI editing, seems like a rabbit hole too far. X2 does that just fine. Import, export MIDI files would be awesome but that could be further down the line. MPE should just work no?
    And there's me thinking you just slap some timestamps on MIDI events and plug it into the existing architecture.. (I'm not a coder BTW 😅)

• @jipumarino said:
    @Michael do you envision the MIDI looper also having an editor? Just curious, count me in either way :)

Probably not at first. Maybe later?

@McD said:
    Do Loopers as a category have their our special user base since hardware loopers are used by Guitarist doing solo acts and EDM types using lots of small hardware units?

To be honest, I don't really know!

Does the existing Loopy product continue to have a steady flow of users discovering the power of IOS in place of the Boss Loopstation hardware? or has the market been saturated with too many new choices like the TC Electronics Ditto options. If this is too close to private data please ignore my curiosity.

Yeah, it does, I'm happy to say.

• @SpartanClownTide said:

@Michael said:

Then if it's a few months off.. I'm on the side of V1.1 though of course purely out of self interest. Personally I wouldn't get into MIDI editing, seems like a rabbit hole too far. X2 does that just fine. Import, export MIDI files would be awesome but that could be further down the line. MPE should just work no?
    And there's me thinking you just slap some timestamps on MIDI events and plug it into the existing architecture.. (I'm not a coder BTW 😅)

Hehe, indeed. I haven't sat down and mapped it out, but it'd probably be something around that magnitude, a couple months.

• McDMcD
    edited March 2020

There was a thread about coordinating the MIDI clocking between DAWs for sample launching.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/710648#Comment_710648

Both have their own clocks so the MIDI sent into AUM can't be synced to launch audio tracks with any accuracy. The problem seemed impossible to solve according to @j_liljedahl since midi clock timing between DAW's can't be shared with sample accuracy.

If you can just sync audio with Xequence you'd have a winner for a lot of folks that want to sync audio segment with their MIDI projects with precision. Is there something in AudioBus as an alternative that would alcove you and @SevenSystems to share some accurate clocking for Loop launching.

This Hybrid DAW functionality would satisfy a lot of requests. @SevenSystems is wrestling with adding AUv3 support to his app and I'm sure he'd rather partner with you to solve this problem than move his EDM style product into competition with the full on DAW's and just get hammered for the effort.

I think your skills with audio and @SevenSystems robust MIDI "DAW" could be a winner for you both. Maybe you could pioneer a new Hybrid UI for Inter-App Window sharing/switching as the teamwork gets a user base. Expand the AudioBus side-bar concept with some new widgets for start/stop of loops/one shots.

Release Loopy Pro as pure audio and do a 1.x announcement with Xequence that targets the Ableton like use case. With a new Clock Sync defacto standard that @j_liljedahl could also adopt like a more robust Ableton Link for IOS Inter-app time sync'ing. Long range plan but something that looks really hard to solve without a new API standard that removes the DAW to AU model and opens up the possibility of sync'ing multiple AU Host apps. It might take a couple of years but it's a real problem people will only keep facing without any leadership to fix it.

• Midi looping isn’t something I would be likely to use or expect to see.

There’s tons of apps that do magic with midi that will do the job nicely and I’m guessing this will state save?

Anyone that owns Loopy/Audiobus knows that feature updates are guaranteed.

+1 for sooner is better

• For the uninitiated, could someone kindly highlight the standout features that you are looking forward to.
    I’m keen to be getting a look at it when it comes out what with all the excitement, but I’m in the dark a bit as to what it’s all about.

• loopy as a host! wow! this shall be the goat

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Midi looping isn’t something I would be likely to use or expect to see.

There’s tons of apps that do magic with midi that will do the job nicely and I’m guessing this will state save?

+1 for sooner is better

I’m in this camp as well. State saving, labeling, groups, loop editing etc. Can’t wait.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Midi looping isn’t something I would be likely to use or expect to see.

+1 for sooner is better

+1. Any active Loopy user will be overjoyed to get a beefed-up version at all. I’ve been dreaming about it for 6 years and the thought ”it should have MIDI looping” never entered my mind.

• edited March 2020

idk i’m pretty excited about a midi looper! audio is permanent but midi can be re sequenced, cc stuff, takes up less space and more

• edited March 2020

@reasOne said:
    idk i’m pretty excited about a midi looper! audio is permanent but midi can be re sequenced, cc stuff, takes up less space and more

It’s an interesting idea for sure, but not something I need specifically in Loopy Pro 1.0; I’ve never missed it in Loopy HD, but I have missed things like AUfx, different play modes for individual loops, file app integration, etc.

• @Michael said:

@SpartanClownTide said:

@Michael said:

Hehe, indeed. I haven't sat down and mapped it out, but it'd probably be something around that magnitude, a couple months.

Not to be a chaos agent or anything, but if the delay would be a couple of months (or more...cuz ya never know) what about releasing Loopy Pro and have the MIDI Looper be a separate app/AU... that way you get the publicity and don't have to do it as an AU since Loopy Pro is a host. Maybe you could even have some special features available when Loopy MIDI is hosted by Loopy Pro. Might give you the best of both worlds.

Some people desperately want the new Loopy Pro and don't care about MIDI. Some care about a MIDI Looper and not so much about the audio looping.

Just a thought.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Michael said:

@SpartanClownTide said:

@Michael said:

Not to be a chaos agent or anything, but if the delay would be a couple of months (or more...cuz ya never know) what about releasing Loopy Pro and have the MIDI Looper be a separate app/AU... that way you get the publicity and don't have to do it as an AU since Loopy Pro is a host. Maybe you could even have some special features available when Loopy MIDI is hosted by Loopy Pro. Might give you the best of both worlds.

Some people desperately want the new Loopy Pro and don't care about MIDI. Some care about a MIDI Looper and not so much about the audio looping.

Just a thought.

+1

• oh i agree to loopy hd asap and implement the midi stuff in an update, but i’m still really stoked for the possibility

• @Michael said:
    Yep - Loopy Pro itself is a host.

This can quite possibly change my entire setup. SUPER excited!!

• Like a fusion of Audiobus and Loopy, with loops grouping, midi looping, presets midi loading etc... can’t wait really. Any real-time built in pitch shifter? A must have for loopers too, especially with formant settings too. @Michael please ask when beta testing will be needed ;)

• edited March 2020

@Michael said:
    And here's Loopy hosting an AU as part of an effect preset (in a chain with an EQ). The parameters of the AU can be bound to X or Y on the effect pads on the main screen (as many parameters as you like bound to XY), and controlled via a MIDI controller too.

Loopy will automatically load and manage multiple instances of the AU so it can apply it via multiple sends and inserts, as needed.

Oh look, you can have real plugin browsing on IOS.

• @Janosax said:
    Any real-time built in pitch shifter? A must have for loopers too, especially with formant settings too.

You can put AUv3 FX on Loopy Pro tracks and busses (maybe only in standalone, I suspect) for that requirement. Cool feature in a Looper.

• @McD said:

@Janosax said:
    Any real-time built in pitch shifter? A must have for loopers too, especially with formant settings too.

You can put AUv3 FX on Loopy Pro tracks and busses (maybe only in standalone, I suspect) for that requirement. Cool feature in a Looper.

But also yes, there is a built-in pitch shifter with formant controls. There’s one that works as a live insert or send effect, and there’s also a setting for adjusting the pitch of a loop after the fact (also on import) with a slider.

• @Michael said:

@McD said:

@Janosax said:

But also yes, there is a built-in pitch shifter with formant controls. There’s one that works as a live insert or send effect, and there’s also a setting for adjusting the pitch of a loop after the fact (also on import) with a slider.

Yes!!!! 👍

• @McD said:
    There was a thread about coordinating the MIDI clocking between DAWs for sample launching.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/710648#Comment_710648

Both have their own clocks so the MIDI sent into AUM can't be synced to launch audio tracks with any accuracy. The problem seemed impossible to solve according to @j_liljedahl since midi clock timing between DAW's can't be shared with sample accuracy.

Actually, I don’t think that’s the case, at least not as I understood it. Jonatan knows what he’s talking about so maybe something’s been lost in translation. I believe both my MIDI sync library (TSSE) and Link do sample-accurate sync, if integrated correctly.

Same with audio unit sync, but the latter can be troublesome when there are complex structures of audio units, because rendering order is important due to the frankly sloppy way the timing API works.

If you can just sync audio with Xequence you'd have a winner for a lot of folks that want to sync audio segment with their MIDI projects with precision. Is there something in AudioBus as an alternative that would alcove you and @SevenSystems to share some accurate clocking for Loop launching.

I’ll get in touch with @SevenSystems to talk sync with AB, I’m sure there’s something can be done.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Michael said:

@SpartanClownTide said:

@Michael said:

Just a thought.

I think I’d prefer to have it all integrated - I want a nice clean, self-contained workflow, and fragmenting it into two apps runs counter to that.

This discussion has been closed.