Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

FL Studio Mobile: What’s Missing

So I haven’t seen many details, but it seems pretty obvious that FL Studio Mobile is pretty useless. What’re the details here? Why’s it so bad?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

No thanks. Not a fan of the app but less of a fan of threads like this. What are you hoping to accomplish?

• Beatmaker 3 is pretty solid now (ok automation needs a little love) but maybe that could scratch the same itch.

• It’s missing the Fl Studio

• edited March 2020

@wim dude i always respect the help and info you give but as of late been a bit opinionated. Are you on edge? Chill relax the OP is only asking whats missing. No harm there.
    @YourJunk it needs the FPC Sampler which is in desktop version Sort of an MPC

• @stormbeats said:
    @wim dude i always respect the help and info you give but as of late been a bit opinionated. Are you on edge? Chill relax the OP is only asking whats missing. No harm there.
    @YourJunk it needs the FPC Sampler which is in desktop version Sort of an MPC

Wim has been let down by a lot of apps, and has waited for a feature for so long. Plus, I'm guessing what's going on right now might have a role.

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

No, I just don’t enjoy trashing apps even if I don’t like them (FLSM is one of those). And I also did not see what the purpose of the thread was when the OP has already concluded that it’s “obvious” that the app is “useless”. I was genuine in my question about what the OP was hoping to accomplish.

If you guys think there’s value in that discussion then go for it. Sorry I spoke up. I’ve only dropped back in at this stage to clarify. I’ll show myself out now.

Oh, and I’ve not been let down by a lot of apps. I’m totally happy with almost every app I have. Yes, I did say that I was sad Loopy Pro won’t have midi looping out of the gate, but mentioning that had a constructive purpose or I wouldn’t have done it.

• Is this still the Xewton music maker thing from years ago that ImageLine licensed and added the FL logo to?

• For me, I'd say it's missing a handful of things.

1. That single wav sampler channel that can be used to manipulate samples. It's a shame it wasn't added to the app already.

2. Edison.

3. AU Support

With that being said, while FL Studio Mobile isn't up to par when compared to other music creation apps on iOS, it certainly shines on Android (especially on a Galaxy Tab S6). It has decent built-in synths, decent selection of effects, it can load virtually any Directwave patch (including the ones purchased from https://www.dskmusic.com ), etc. FL Studio Mobile also benefits greatly from Android's file management system (although I haven't checked FLSM since around the time iOS 11 came out). Definitely worth a look if you have a decent Android phone or tablet (i.e. a Samsung), but I would give it a pass on iOS. This is my (hopefully) balanced opinion. :)

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Is this still the Xewton music maker thing from years ago that ImageLine licensed and added the FL logo to?

Nope. It was completely rewritten from the ground up starting with version 3.0. Conversely, I still love using Xewton Music Studio to sketch out musical ideas.

• I purchased Fruity Loops many years ago for a very few pounds when it was a simple MIDI step sequencer. Look what that turned into. I still get free updates for that now.
    They have committed to giving those same free updates on FL Studio Mobile.
    This app will keep growing

• @wim said:
    No thanks. Not a fan of the app but less of a fan of threads like this. What are you hoping to accomplish?

The point is literally what I asked. I’ve heard that it’s not good but I’ve never actually heard why. I want to know why.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    For me, I'd say it's missing a handful of things.

1. That single wav sampler channel that can be used to manipulate samples. It's a shame it wasn't added to the app already.

2. Edison.

3. AU Support

With that being said, while FL Studio Mobile isn't up to par when compared to other music creation apps on iOS, it certainly shines on Android (especially on a Galaxy Tab S6). It has decent built-in synths, decent selection of effects, it can load virtually any Directwave patch (including the ones purchased from https://www.dskmusic.com ), etc. FL Studio Mobile also benefits greatly from Android's file management system (although I haven't checked FLSM since around the time iOS 11 came out). Definitely worth a look if you have a decent Android phone or tablet (i.e. a Samsung), but I would give it a pass on iOS. This is my (hopefully) balanced opinion. :)

The lack of AU support makes total sense why people don’t use it. That’s critical to iOS music production.

• Stability! Every now and then I reinstall FLSM and give it a try. And everytime it does crash at one time or another. This is especially true when trying to connect it with the outside world ( Audiobus and IAA that is). Piece of junk. Full stop. And maybe add their „support“ to the formula. ymmv

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Is this still the Xewton music maker thing from years ago that ImageLine licensed and added the FL logo to?

Nope. It was completely rewritten from the ground up starting with version 3.0. Conversely, I still love using Xewton Music Studio to sketch out musical ideas.

But Steinberg aquihired Xewton and Music Studio now seems to be abandonware that’s broken on many iphone models.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:

But Steinberg aquihired Xewton and Music Studio now seems to be abandonware that’s broken on many iphone models.

Believe it or not, I actually did write Alex (Xewton) about this last week. It's not abandonware, but something in iOS 13 mucked it up to the point where Music Studio will require a massive rewrite. Short term goals are nonexistant, but they do have longterm goals.

• @YourJunk said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    For me, I'd say it's missing a handful of things.

2. Edison.

3. AU Support

The lack of AU support makes total sense why people don’t use it. That’s critical to iOS music production.

Very much so mate. Like I said, FLSM shines on Android (at least on Samsung products) since there aren't too many options for making music on Android besides FLSM and Caustic 3 (at least as far as I know).

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    It’s missing the Fl Studio

100%.
    It doesn't even remind me of the desktop version. We have much better alternatives on iOS.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    FLSM shines on Android (at least on Samsung products) since there aren't too many options for making music on Android besides FLSM and Caustic 3 (at least as far as I know).

There’s also Gstomper Studio and the new Gstomper producer, both very capable.

• I quite like flsm. It’s certainly not an ultimate solution, but it’s a quick and easy way to make a tune. Some of the included content is also pretty good.

• @branis said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    FLSM shines on Android (at least on Samsung products) since there aren't too many options for making music on Android besides FLSM and Caustic 3 (at least as far as I know).

Ooo I'm definitely checking those out. :) Thanks for the heads up. ^_^

• I would say either money or love is what’s missing.

• edited March 2020

@denx said:
    I would say either money or love is what’s missing.

I would say both.
    They have said that they don’t see it a a profit centre more as a way of driving sales of the main desktop versions. Even so it’s gradually getting better.

• @purpan2 said:
    I quite like flsm. It’s certainly not an ultimate solution, but it’s a quick and easy way to make a tune. Some of the included content is also pretty good.

Exactly. Not THE answer, but can be an answer (especially when I'm not certain what the question is :)

• edited March 2020

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@branis said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

Ooo I'm definitely checking those out. :) Thanks for the heads up. ^_^

If it’s Android, don’t forget the usual stuff (Zenbeats, SunVox Fractal Bits and the Pixitrackers, AEM, Delemask, Sequence, Milky Tracker (free), Phoenix Studio, DrumPadBeats, and BandPass. Those last 4 and G-Stomper Producer are the reasons I bought into the Android platform, in my case not on Samsung - which is underpowered and crackly with the more demanding apps. I’m using a lovely and forbidden Huawei tab)

I’m a big fan of FLSM, and have been on the beta for a minute, passing on the above items, and others, on the FLSM beta forum. Maxx Claster continues to update the soft and a sizeable update just dropped on the 17th.

I love the one page GUI, and I find it the most fluid DAW on Android and iOS. For me the meeting of fluidity and power is pretty hard to beat on either platform. The synthesis, FX and instrument-building potential is limited only by the processing power on your device. The improvement in these areas over the FLSM 2 is just nuts. (BTW, IAA and AB3 support on FLSM is like a lot of other apps a matter of opening the intended connecting soft first.)

• @branis i been hoping to see G Stomper on iOS it looks good.

• @stormbeats said:
    @branis i been hoping to see G Stomper on iOS it looks good.

Unfortunately when asked during the beta the dev expressed no interest in an iOS port...

• I> @Littlewoodg said:

If it’s Android, don’t forget the usual stuff (Zenbeats, SunVox Fractal Bits and the Pixitrackers, AEM, Delemask, Sequence, Milky Tracker (free), Phoenix Studio, DrumPadBeats, and BandPass.

Id also add ufxloops to that list. Wish there was something like that on iOS.
    FLSM works well for me, no problems.

• edited March 2020

@Sirt said:
    I> @Littlewoodg said:

If it’s Android, don’t forget the usual stuff (Zenbeats, SunVox Fractal Bits and the Pixitrackers, AEM, Delemask, Sequence, Milky Tracker (free), Phoenix Studio, DrumPadBeats, and BandPass.

Id also add ufxloops to that list. Wish there was something like that on iOS.
    FLSM works well for me, no problems.

Thanks for this tip, I’d seen it a few times on the googooplay, skipped past it, but just looked at the tutorials on Yootoob and it looks sweet. Have you tried Yossi Barel’s Synthesizer (which is not a synthesizer and I forgot to include in the list) BandPass which is cool af, and DrumPadBeats?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    It’s missing the Fl Studio

This is it exactly, another desktop company that wants to throw out some half assed garbage in comparison to their desktop offering.