Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Still no Midi Looper AUv3 with Midi-in record?

Do I miss something? Is there still no simple Midi Looper out there that simply records all incoming Midi (also CC) into a pre-defined Loop? Hit me up!

Comments

• Atom - records CC?
    BeatHawk - not simple
    Photon ?
    Thesys - need magnificent glass and surgical tools to use

Mozaic - DIY
    StreamByter - DIY

• Photon does this.

Set:
    Pre to "Wait on Key" and Length on the "RealTime Rec" tab to the number of bars required
    Post to "Copy to P1" (or what ever pad you want)
    Pad 1 (or whatever) to "Start Now"

• Thanks for your input!

So I got me the Mozaic, so far I think the one that works best for me.

But isn't it weird that after years of iOS music apps, hundreds or maybe even thousands of apps, there is still not one auv3 mid Looper that works simple and just records everything that's coming in?! I mean Atom could be it, but it doesn't capture CC.

• This might be too much of a shameful plug, but I honestly think that my Flow script for Mozaic is by far the best midi looper available. I've tried using SO MANY OTHERS but they don't have any of the immediacy of Flow.

I wish someone changed this and released a polished, easy to use AUv3 midi looper as Mozaic does force some trade-offs and slightly cumbersome UI-metaphors ;)

(The biggest drawback of Flow is not having different track lengths - they all use the same setting so if you want to combine longer and shorter sequences you need to load up one Mozaic instance for every length. )

• @Peblin said:
    This might be too much of a shameful plug, but I honestly think that my Flow script for Mozaic is by far the best midi looper available. I've tried using SO MANY OTHERS but they don't have any of the immediacy of Flow.

I wish someone changed this and released a polished, easy to use AUv3 midi looper as Mozaic does force some trade-offs and slightly cumbersome UI-metaphors ;)

(The biggest drawback of Flow is not having different track lengths - they all use the same setting so if you want to combine longer and shorter sequences you need to load up one Mozaic instance for every length. )

Haha! Plug ahead dude! Im gonna try flow out. Thank you for making this creation.

• flow sounds great imma grab it

• @Peblin said:
    This might be too much of a shameful plug, but I honestly think that my Flow script for Mozaic is by far the best midi looper available. I've tried using SO MANY OTHERS but they don't have any of the immediacy of Flow.

It's not a shameful plug! You are are absolutely right!
    And yes, I'm wishing for a looper with an easy interface with all the functions you've put in! Why is nobody doing it? I don't understand, everybody here would buy immediately! I don't need another phaser, reverb, limiter what ever!!

• @Shiro said:

Haha! Plug ahead dude! Im gonna try flow out. Thank you for making this creation.

:)

Here's some more info on it, thanks to @wim and others contributing to the Wiki:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/mozaic_flow_tutorial

• @Peblin

.. but is there a probability to map the shift button?

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

@Orne33e said:

.. but is there a probability to map the shift button?

sorry, I don't mean to try to speak for Peblin here, but ...

Unfortunately the shift button can't be mapped - Mozaic doesn't provide that ability. Something else like one of the user AU parameters would need to be used with handlers written that would do the same things as the shift button. That could be a pretty big task.

• edited March 2020

@Peblin said:

First of all, huge respect for creating such an app, definitely an under-appreciated niche! 🤘

From purely user perspective, I'd be willing to pay extra for having better UX and a bit more polished look&feel. Please consider collaboration with an UX/App designer on the next iteration of the UI 🙏

EDIT: sorry, missed the point, feedback should be directed to the Mozaic devs :smile:

• @ilya said:

First of all, huge respect for creating such an app, definitely an under-appreciated niche! 🤘

From purely user perspective, I'd be willing to pay extra for having better UX and a bit more polished look&feel. Please consider collaboration with an UX/App designer on the next iteration of the UI 🙏

EDIT: sorry, missed the point, feedback should be directed to the Mozaic devs :smile:

I think @brambos has done a fantastic job with Mozaic and that it's very polished - for what it was meant for.
    I think I'm stretching Mozaic to the extreme with Flow and "shoehorning" things into the UI that I doubt it was originally intended for.

I'd also be willing to pay a premium for a polished MIDI-looper, and I'm hoping that someone with more time available and better iOS/Objective-C skills than me will do it eventually. ....you hear me, Bram? ;)

Meanwhile I use Flow and the OP-Z. (I originally created Flow to NOT have to buy an OP-Z but caved in eventually anyway....)

• @Peblin said:
    I think I'm stretching Mozaic to the extreme with Flow and "shoehorning" things into the UI that I doubt it was originally intended for.

You really do push it to some limits with Flow. The new update you have for testing is amazing. Notes, CC's with so many control options and features.

I'd also be willing to pay a premium for a polished MIDI-looper

Huge opportunity.

I'm hoping that someone with more time available and better iOS/Objective-C skills than me will do it eventually. ....you hear me, Bram? ;)

A @BramBos Looper AUv3 app? Wow.

Meanwhile I use Flow and the OP-Z. (I originally created Flow to NOT have to buy an OP-Z but caved in eventually anyway....)

Hey... hardware pushing is "OT". Lot's of site for people with too much money that like to collect hardware or trade them with their peers.

• +1 for proper MIDI recorder. I even started learning iOS development because I wanted such app. I'd love a grid based recorder, similar to Ableton Live's grid. It's a pity that script in Mozaic is closest to such thing...

• I'm suspecting Flow is being underused for fear of being too complicated. But it's really quite straightforward once you give it a go. It should definitely be among the first responses when the monthly midi looper question pops up here.

Reading that Metroplex was an inspiration I checked it out on patchstorage. It had a rather huge update only a week ago! Suggested indoor covid19 activity the coming days (for myself as well): learn to master Flow and Metroplex.

• Metroplex looks like an AU replacement for Quantum, to a large extent. Anyone using it?

• I use it quite a lot, nice simple way to generate quick ideas (I added the weird XY pad sketcher thing to it 'cause I'm soo lazy 😂)

• @Peblin @bleep

Forgot how nice the flow script is! Just got the GitHub version and sketched this on steelytron with a little (a lot 🤣) of Blackhole and a bit of rotary (thanks Eventide)

Still not confident re AUM / AU state saving so saved a version of the script with the patterns in as well as taped out the performance to xequence... Is this overkill?

• @Orne33e said:

@Peblin said:

And yes, I'm wishing for a looper with an easy interface with all the functions you've put in! Why is nobody doing it? I don't understand, everybody here would buy immediately! I don't need another phaser, reverb, limiter what ever!!

I'm on it! Loopy Pro will do this.

• @Krupa said:
    @Peblin @bleep

Forgot how nice the flow script is! Just got the GitHub version and sketched this on steelytron with a little (a lot 🤣) of Blackhole and a bit of rotary (thanks Eventide)

That's quite lovely and meditative. I just made something today that's in the same mood:

• Thanks @McD I liked that a lot, especially the percussive bleeps underpinning it 👍

• @Michael said:

@Orne33e said:

@Peblin said:

Looking forward to it. Sign me up for beta! :)

• @Krupa @McD thanks guys I really like!

Re state-saving, I think it's stable - never had any issues with it.
    Mozaic is rock solid and I rely on its ability to save all variables to the state.

• Thanks @Peblin and I think you're right re state saving, it's just so good that it feels like taking it for granted or something - all loaded up perfectly today 😁

• @Michael said:

Nice! Put me on the beta list!

• @Krupa said:
    Thanks @McD I liked that a lot, especially the percussive bleeps underpinning it 👍

Those percussive tinklings were an initial exploration of SpaceCraft's sequencers.
    Then I loaded the 3 Mozaic Flow scripts to input three melodies. I started selecting "strings"
    sounds and adding FX. But I ran into DSP problems and had to try another workflow.

I started looking for a good sounding synth and gave Continua a trial. It had the pseudo-orchestral sound I was seeking... very "Hans Zimmer" as @LinearLineman suggested.

I played all three octaves of ascending melodies LIVE and recorded the result.

Then I killed the Mozaics and the Continua track and recorded 2 more melodic recordings
    recording initial recording at the 1/3rd and 2/3rd starting point. Now I had 3 recordings that once started have the 3 layers that are in the final master recording.

There's no accurate time syncing and it's a big hack but it convinced me just layering ascending melodies would create the "barber pole" sensation of a loop that rises infinitely.

Descending infinitely would work the same. I'll bet using a piano roll editor with cut and paste and transpose +/- 12 steps or more would create the 3 melodies even faster and also allow for some more interesting harmonic effects for the 3 layers to create chords.

Easy-peasey for a Xequence, Cubasis or NS2 creative.

The melody doesn't have to strictly ascend with every interval but just get there over the course of the sample. A melody like:

1-4-2-3-7-6-5-7 than up to the next octave and again. or harmonize 2 (+9) and 3 (+19) with
    10-13-11-12...
    20-23-30-31...

The +9 creates the 3rd note of the chord and the +19 the 5th.

Another useful interval would be to space the notes by 6ths and create tighter chord.
    I'd put the 5th in the bass melody, the 3rd in the middle range melody and the roots on the top. You'll get a shepard's tone effect with chordal harmony and a modal chord progression.
    Selecting the right mode would create a specific effect.

I'm sure this could be Mozaic script without much effort with:
    selectable scales
    harmonic options (octave, 10th and 6th spacings)

I hope someone makes it. I'll put in on my To Do List when I get inspired to make something
    new but there are so many great programmer's I thought I document the ideas to save the work solving all the Mozaic headaches getting to the finish line.