Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

While we're all cooped up inside, here're some Loopy Pro updates

Comments

• Michael, stop stressing over the stock market! It’ll be back in a few years! If you stress I stress!

• @wim said:
    OK, the one and only question that is important to me ... will this record and loop MIDI as well as Audio? All the rest looks fantastic to me, but my one and only itch that just can't seem to get scratched is integrated looping of MIDI and Audio. To be able to do both from something as elegant as Loopy HD is all I need.

I have more FX than I know what to do with.

+1 integrated Audio and MIDI looping would be amazing!

• edited March 2020

There’s masses of AU effects out there, many from reputable developers. Please don’t get too sidetracked by requests for more bells and whistles. There is a reason why the original Loopy is a success:

It is simple

It has a great UI

It has a great midi implementation

All I want is for it to be an AU so I can run it through whatever’s out there. Just saying 🤐😷

Edit: good that you’re learning how to code other related stuff tho! ;)

• @NoiseHorse said:
    @Michael that’s a great looking EQ. Would you consider making the EQ into a separate app? I’m thinking of a way to buy more stuff from you.

Thank you! Actually now you mention it, I have been planning on making the effects processor (including the EQ and all the other modules I’m making) into a separate app, for those who just want that part! 😀

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    The design is beautiful.

But never having designed a world-beating app before, I'm intrigued by the process. Namely, working on these beautiful effects: does this mean you're done with the overall beast and you're on to the punch list? Or is this like high-level procrastination? :#

Thank you 😊 I’m certainly about 85 to 90% there, still a few important things to tick off but the backbone is well and truly completed. I’m still not publicly talking about release dates because I don’t want to embarrass myself, but I’m not expecting it to be very much longer.

• @wim said:
    OK, the one and only question that is important to me ... will this record and loop MIDI as well as Audio? All the rest looks fantastic to me, but my one and only itch that just can't seem to get scratched is integrated looping of MIDI and Audio. To be able to do both from something as elegant as Loopy HD is all I need.

I have more FX than I know what to do with.

In a word, yes – in a few more words, not straight away; I think, anyway, that I will be adding midi to version 1.1, after the initial release. I’m leaving my options open, it might still make it into the initial release though.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Michael, stop stressing over the stock market! It’ll be back in a few years! If you stress I stress!

🙃

• @supadom said:
    There’s masses of AU effects out there, many from reputable developers. Please don’t get too sidetracked by requests for more bells and whistles. There is a reason why the original Loopy is a success:

It is simple

It has a great UI

It has a great midi implementation

All I want is for it to be an AU so I can run it through whatever’s out there. Just saying 🤐😷

Edit: good that you’re learning how to code other related stuff tho! ;)

Thank you 😄 Yeah, integrated effects is something that’s very important to me for this one though. Having them built-in allows for a much more intuitive and accessible workflow. There’s not much more to go on it, though – the EQ was the big one.

• I think this should be bundled with Drambo...

• Looks awesome @Michael cant wait for release... is there a ballpark release date or still yet TBD?

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    I think this should be bundled with Drambo...

Well, at least we made it to page 2 before someone offered the inevitable.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Looks awesome @Michael cant wait for release... is there a ballpark release date or still yet TBD?

Sometime this year was his projection... but he's edging towards something a bit closer but life has a way of adding extra jobs to your To Do List and these are crazy time so any estimate of delivery should be treated as suspect. The fact that he's talking about it is encouraging and suggesting he'll do the 1.1 for potential feature improvements like MIDI Looping is great too. He needs to provide new products for income because he doesn't want to sell stocks right now so he's "on it". Anything he documents is just
    adding to the developer curse of predicting the future. If feels useable and stable I suspect before he'd
    go public.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Great idea!! 😄

• @McD said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    Looks awesome @Michael cant wait for release... is there a ballpark release date or still yet TBD?

Sometime this year was his projection... but he's edging towards something a bit closer but life has a way of adding extra jobs to your To Do List and these are crazy time so any estimate of delivery should be treated as suspect. The fact that he's talking about it is encouraging and suggesting he'll do the 1.1 for potential feature improvements like MIDI Looping is great too. He needs to provide new products for income because he doesn't want to sell stocks right now so he's "on it". Anything he documents is just
    adding to the developer curse of predicting the future. If feels useable and stable I suspect before he'd
    go public.

Pretty much what he said 😁

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

I'm here to do the necessary work in these troubling times. :)

• Have you got any celebs lined up to demo it yet? :p

• @funjunkie27 said:
    Have you got any celebs lined up to demo it yet? :p

I wish 😄

Actually Dub Fx lives just around the corner from me (our kids are mates, it's adorable), and he's been really helpful in guiding design decisions; we'll probably do a bit of stuff with it at launch.

• Sweet. Once its outta the gate, the others will be hounding you to promote it.

• @Michael said:
    Pretty much what he said 😁

I had a technical career of trying to gracefully answer "When will software ship?" questions. When a big company puts a date in writing... it never ends well. Sometimes it has caused the small company to go bankrupt with severe a cash flow crisis. It tells everyone to wait and continue to demand updates and if th schedule is missed it's a recipe for storming the building for refunds on any money spent to date for "abandonware" from con artists. If it ships on time with major bugs it's commercial fraud.

Pre-announcements are typically verboten for these a many other reasons... shit happens, things change, stability can be challenging for a critical "run your business" app with dire consequences.

But users will always seek every rumor and spread it widely ASAP.

Please enjoy the act of creating and we'll pay you for your efforts...

with payback being a function of your "asking price x the number of motivated buyers", ya-da.

We might have a whole new perspective on life later this year... no jobs, civil unrest, economic recession.
    In other words... motivated to play for music alone in a safe place. Huge market opportunity for a developer off the grid. Be safe.

• Yeah, I've definitely learned to shut up about release dates because I inevitably underestimate - and now, in this new age of being a parent, it's orders of magnitude worse =)

But yep. Brave new world out there, with Covid-19. Can't quite tell if it's likely to help or hinder app sales, actually - could go either way! Pretty significant bust-up for the economy though, there're a lot of people and businesses who're never gonna recover from this. Hope the powers that be step in! But I digress..

• Looking good indeed! Loop on my friends, but not too loopy <>>>

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Looks great!!

Any plans for Ableton Project Export?

Oh, missed this one - yeah, I believe so! I haven't delved deeply into it, but I'm planning to integrate it as long as it doesn't turn into too big of a PITA.

• Been waiting for this one for a very long time, @Michael please keep us updated, and great work, looks awesome 👏

• @Dchild said:
    Been waiting for this one for a very long time, @Michael please keep us updated, and great work, looks awesome 👏

Thank you! Will do!

• I guess this means I really should learn the HD version better 😬

• I don’t know how my anxiety could be controlled expecting Loopy PRO‘s release! Hope it has midi looper, loopy group and bus send (for FX) as well... Congrats for your great job @Michael!

• edited March 2020

Thanks, @RenattoVaz!

MIDI looper: on its way, probably v1.1 (shortly after release), but possibly 1.0 if I get the time.
    Loop groups: Oh yes, with bells on. I'll show what groups can do soon.
    Bus sends: Yep, per group or master output, with pads for live control (and MIDI too, naturally). Inserts too, applied on the audio input and captured in the loop audio.

• @Michael said:
    Thanks, @RenattoVaz!

MIDI looper: on its way, probably v1.1 (shortly after release), but possibly 1.0 if I get the time.
    Bus sends: Yep, per group or master output, with pads for live control (and MIDI too, naturally). Inserts too, applied on the audio input and captured in the loop audio.

Oooow my gosh it sounds amazing! God bless you and your family! I’ll be in tune!

• Sounds amazing!

@Michael said:
    Thanks, @RenattoVaz!

• wimwim
    edited March 2020

I'm really sad about no MIDI looping. :|

I'm sure I'd buy an Underwater Yodeling app just because it's @Michael. But I'd say I need another audio looper just about as much. Same for another AU host app. Same for more audio FX.

I hate to say that, but 'tis the truth.

This discussion has been closed.