Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recording audio with AUM

edited December 2019 in General App Discussion

I have a Yamaha mixer that is also an usb interface connected to my iPad (Pro 11”, iOS 13). When I add it in AUM as a stereo audio source the sound has a weird echo to it. I am recording two mics.
How can I fix that? Thanks.

Comments

• I think you might be having latency issues. Make sure you have the settings in AUM set to 512 or 256.

• @Antkn33 said:
    I have a Yamaha mixer that is also an usb interface connected to my iPad (Pro 11”, iOS 13). When I add it in AUM as a stereo audio source the sound has a weird echo to it. I am recording two mics.

Sounds like you're monitoring both the live signal (directly via the mixer) and the AUM signal. There is some latency (processing time) involved with the conversion to digital so if you monitor both you'll hear a little delay. Try muting one or the other.

• edited January 2020

Yeah. Weird because I tried it with Cubasis and it was fine. I almost thought that AUM had the iPad mic enabled too. Not sure how to turn off monitoring on the mixer. The manual is pitiful.

• edited January 2020

Just mute the AUM master output? Of course, if you're trying to record with effects hosted in AUM and you need to be able to hear them, that ain't gonna work.

Might also try restarting the ipad and then checking the latency settings in AUM. Restart suggested first because iOS can be stupid—once an app sets the latency for an interface, another app can't change it and sometimes those apps seem to zombie and you still can't change it. I think AB's 'Clear Session' might actually address this without the restart but I'm not 100%.

• @Antkn33 said:
    Yeah. Weird because I tried it with Cubasis and it was fine. I almost thought that AUM had the iPad mic enabled too. Not sure how to turn off monitoring on the mixer. The manual is pitiful.

It sounds like hardware monitoring is turned on. I have a digital recorder that I sometimes have used as an audio interface but it has no option to turn off input monitoring.

Are your headphones connected to the iPad or the interface?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Antkn33 said:

It sounds like hardware monitoring is turned on. I have a digital recorder that I sometimes have used as an audio interface but it has no option to turn off input monitoring.

Are your headphones connected to the iPad or the interface?

Interface. My iPad only has the usb c Jack

• Which Yamaha Mixer do you have?

• I have the yamaha mg10xu. I discovered a button that turns off the monitoring. It is labeled stereo/mon. I thought that meant mono. But it routes the signal to the stereo jacks or the headphone / monitor jack. 🙄

• AUM recordings drops out so frequently if you try and record more than 2 stereo pairs.

Its so frustrating, trying to have AUM at the centre of my studio when it ruins so many takes by glitching out randomly.

I’m on the verge of writing a begging plea of an email to sort this out, I don’t need AUM as a DAW I just need at least 8 stable recording channels.

• Never experienced that with 4 stereo pairs... but I'll take an extra look when adding the 4 tracks of the Bleass Groove thing (only recently aquired) to single AUM channels.

If you have (say) 3 synths and fx channels running in AUM, the apps may overload the system due to cpu demands (high quality sound, polyphony etc come to mind).

• @Antkn33 said:

I think the mixer might be the issue .. I have tried all these combo solutions .. always an issue here and there .. better getting dedicated usb interface which is already tested

• @Telefunky said:
    Never experienced that with 4 stereo pairs... but I'll take an extra look when adding the 4 tracks of the Bleass Groove thing (only recently aquired) to single AUM channels.

If you have (say) 3 synths and fx channels running in AUM, the apps may overload the system due to cpu demands (high quality sound, polyphony etc come to mind).

I’d be surprised if its cpu as other DAW apps like cubase can easily record much more than 8 channels.

• It's not the channel count, but the content ;)
    If I record my plain guitar, CPU load is close to zero, if I add an amp sim like Bias, load goes up...
    But if the exact same apps and fx channels deliver a different result in AUM and Cubasis, that's something to be concerned about.
    I don't have Cubasis, but afaik it doesn't support busses, so setups may not be comparable.

• edited March 2020

Never mind more than 8, AUM isn’t coping with 1 channel recording now!

Admittedly its a semi complex set up:

• AUM iPad Pro 9.7 connected to Audiofuse
    • ES-8 connected to Audiofuse by ADAT
    • AUM set up is 4 in: 2 channels being processed in AUM with the onboard Parametric EQ per channel, those ar3 being sent out via ES-8 to reverb then returned on the remaining two inputs.
    • Bus send both return channels to one channel to record.

But never the less, I am not using any CPU hungry AUs and the meter reads between 1% and 9%.

• @Calverhall said:
    Never mind more than 8, AUM isn’t coping with 1 channel recording now!

Admittedly its a semi complex set up:

• AUM iPad Pro 9.7 connected to Audiofuse
    • ES-8 connected to Audiofuse by ADAT
    • AUM set up is 4 in: 2 channels being processed in AUM with the onboard Parametric EQ per channel, those ar3 being sent out via ES-8 to reverb then returned on the remaining two inputs.
    • Bus send both return channels to one channel to record.

But never the less, I am not using any CPU hungry AUs and the meter reads between 1% and 9%.

What sample rate and buffer size? I routinely record 3 or 4 stereo tracks at a time in AUM on an iPad 6 under iOS 12.3.1 without issue.

• 44100k and 1024, which I usually had much lower, trying to get AUM stable enough with higher buffers. (256 mostly) to record.

Latest iOS.

• @Calverhall said:
    44100k and 1024, which I usually had much lower, trying to get AUM stable enough with higher buffers. (256 mostly) to record.

Latest iOS.

As a test. If you have no external hardware connected, are you able to record simultaneous tracks in AUM from loaded AUV3s without these issues?

• edited March 2020

Yes, but not in a test situation, I've had these drop out issues for years with AUM, always used to be random to the point of being an occasional nuisance, now its more frequent, probably because of the changing set up every session.

I have just now successfully recorded in 256 buffer size, but will try doing 2 channels, and if brave, a further third with an AU or interapp.

• If CPU overloading is ruled out, you may check this part of the system:

ES-8 connected to Audiofuse by ADAT

I'd set the Audiofuse as clock master and slave the ES-8 Adat connection to it.
    Stating the obvious: all systems are on the same clockrate.
    Sometimes 48 khz is more reliable than 44.1 or vice versa (rate should not matter, but theory isn't realworld).
    Doulecheck AUM's clockrate remains set to what's on Audiofuse, some interfaces may trigger negotiations in the background, which may add (just guessing) an automatic conversion process to the chain if things don't match.

• So I want to try to record a live performance. The plan is to run my vocal & DI guitar into AUM via my interface then route that audio out to my PA speaker. I also want to record the tracks, so do I send a copy of the mix bus to a muted recording track? or should I sent it to Cubasis;?
    any suggestions welcome
    Cheers

• @iLLaFenT said:
    So I want to try to record a live performance. The plan is to run my vocal & DI guitar into AUM via my interface then route that audio out to my PA speaker. I also want to record the tracks, so do I send a copy of the mix bus to a muted recording track? or should I sent it to Cubasis;?
    any suggestions welcome
    Cheers

You can simply arm any and all tracks you want to record. Recording a track has no effect on the output and any track can be recorded at any time.