Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple to Release iPad Pro Smart Keyboard With Trackpad in 2020

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/27/apple-ipad-pro-keyboard-trackpad/

Looks that we probably get a normal cursor and iPadOS will in the end merge with MacOS.

Opinions?

Comments

• Hope Brydge doesn't sue them! Ha

• We’ve had nothing but problems with 🍏’s original iPad Pro keyboard in our household. Not sure I’d trust them with another at this point. Logitech seems better.

• No aux jack. No purchase.

• @robertreynolds said:
    We’ve had nothing but problems with 🍏’s original iPad Pro keyboard in our household. Not sure I’d trust them with another at this point. Logitech seems better.

I can account for this. Have a 12.9 2nd generation and the smart keyboard sometimes just didn't connect well also found the type experience awfull and finally sold it.

• I use a Microsoft Wedge bluetooth keyboard and mouse with my iPad Pro. They work great, except of course the current mouse support is lacking, doesn't quite feel like a "real" mouse. Hopefully they'll be adding first class mouse support, not just the "accessibility option" that exists now, which works but itsn't great.

• It's an interesting dilemma. On one hand, having mouse support has been amazing. On the other hand, what separates the iPad from a less powerful laptop? While it does have unique apps, a lot of them may be redesigned for a desktop interface (which is where Project Catalyst makes sense).

If they do something like Samsung DeX where I can connect the iPad to a computer via USB for a different experience, then we're in business.

Also, better multitasking. Documents app has been amazing and gives me the illusion that I'm doing a lot more than I actually imagined. Browser integrated with files, pdf, and server configuration is actually brilliant.

• @robertreynolds said:
    We’ve had nothing but problems with 🍏’s original iPad Pro keyboard in our household. Not sure I’d trust them with another at this point. Logitech seems better.

You are right, all four of the iPad official apple keyboards we have had failed withing the he first 1-2 years with apple unwilling to warranty their shoddy crap. Apples keyboards are complete garbage; which is super sad bc I like the design a lot.

• edited February 2020

@rivermonster said:

@robertreynolds said:

You are right, all four of the iPad official apple keyboards we have had failed withing the he first 1-2 years with apple unwilling to warranty their shoddy crap. Apples keyboards are complete garbage; which is super sad bc I like the design a lot.

I have been using for four years a super cheap no name Bluetooth keyboard found in a discount bin. The letters writing is mostly worn out but still works great. 😎

• I've also had 3 smart keyboards gradually lose their reliability. Beautiful looks but unreliable and WAY overpriced.

• So the rumors get louder and i wonder if that is even a good thing for iPads.
    Does that means iPad OS will be the same clusterfuck as windows touch apps soon. Half made for mouse input and half for multi-touch.
    But it seems people soon can buy an iPad which might cost then nearly the same to replace something which do this kind of workflow better.
    So i hope they will not force developers to bring these nightmare apps to iPad and multi-touch gets not the attention it deserves anymore.

• edited March 2020

@greengrocer said:

@robertreynolds said:

I can account for this. Have a 12.9 2nd generation and the smart keyboard sometimes just didn't connect well also found the type experience awfull and finally sold it.

Mine started accumulating weird green stains on the keyboard and on the felt underside. Got it replaced and same happened. Eventually worked out they corresponded to the space bar which I was pressing most so there is a design fault in the material that results in some disgusting oxidizing reaction. I’m a writer so used it for hours a day but you know.. Apple design a keyboard that is unsuitable for writing.

The more iOS grows the less the new parts and the old are reworked together. It’s awful now and barely usable for quite simple functions like moving icons etc so god knows what their incompetent designErs will make of this. Guarantee it will mess up and interfere with navigation, as that’s been the case with every new development in the last few years.

• edited March 2020

@Clueless said:
    So the rumors get louder and i wonder if that is even a good thing for iPads.
    Does that means iPad OS will be the same clusterfuck as windows touch apps soon. Half made for mouse input and half for multi-touch.
    But it seems people soon can buy an iPad which might cost then nearly the same to replace something which do this kind of workflow better.
    So i hope they will not force developers to bring these nightmare apps to iPad and multi-touch gets not the attention it deserves anymore.

Yes, this is my concern too. Mouse/touchpad control (or anything which replaces a fingertip with a cursor) on apps is an abomination imho. Also expect lots of lazy desktop software ports with little to no thought put into optimizations for mobile use.

• @brambos said:

@Clueless said:

Yes, this is my concern too. Mouse/touchpad control (or anything which replaces a fingertip with a cursor) on apps is an abomination imho. Also expect lots of lazy desktop software ports with little to no thought put into optimizations for mobile use.

Agree, but isn't this the danger with anything designed for iOS, iPadOS or MacOS in the future. what i understand devs can easily develop apps for all platforms at once.

• edited March 2020

@greengrocer said:

@brambos said:

@Clueless said:

Agree, but isn't this the danger with anything designed for iOS, iPadOS or MacOS in the future. what i understand devs can easily develop apps for all platforms at once.

The problem is that different platforms have different requirements in order to be accessible/user friendly, but sooner or later they will merge either way, so...

• @greengrocer said:

@brambos said:

@Clueless said:

Maybe. But it might work better the other way. Apps which are made for finger input might be also usable via a mouse/trackpad (here multi-touch is actually possible as well) or pencil (of course not the best way then) but apps made for mouse input are unusable mostly for multi-touch.
    I like the idea of a touch screen mac once but i think in general that to seperate macOS and iOS is still the best way and combine them if needed. Both workflows can be great and all has pro and contra. But mix them up and you get some frankenapps which are not great with a mouse/trackpad and not great with your finger.
    I do not like the idea of these keyboards at all for iPads. Terrible, wobbly things i cannot write on.
    But if the market want that, then it will come. I think it will definitive have a negative influence in both directions.
    Lazy ports from desktop/notebook to iPad/iPhone and vice versa.
    If i wanted that i had bought a surface :)

• edited March 2020

@0tolerance4silence said:

@greengrocer said:

@brambos said:

@Clueless said:

The problem is that different platforms have different requirements in order to be accessible/user friendly, but sooner or later they will merge either way, so...

That is true but this will also slow down maybe innovative apps really optimized for a certain input. Less quality, more quantidy. Like with all :(
    F.e. a complex DAW like Logic just belongs much better on a desktop or notebook while apps like Geoshred, Animoog, Samplr, Borderlands and yes all the great Brambos apps belongs on a multi-touch device.
    I find there are already too much non touch optimized apps and synths which would work even better on my notebook.
    I must say that Apple f.e. did some really great multi-touch controls/surfaces with Garage Band iOS. Maybe even the most touch friendly iOS DAW. Sadly a bit too crippled in some areas.
    Things like Finger Fiddle, ThumbJam are amazing and would not work the same on another platform. Sadly the best multi-touch apps are abandoned or stopped their evolution.

• @Clueless said:

@greengrocer said:

@brambos said:

@Clueless said:

That is true but this will also slow down maybe innovative apps really optimized for a certain input. Less quality, more quantidy. Like with all :(
    F.e. a complex DAW like Logic just belongs much better on a desktop or notebook while apps like Geoshred, Animoog, Samplr, Borderlands and yes all the great Brambos apps belongs on a multi-touch device.
    I find there are already too much non touch optimized apps and synths which would work even better on my notebook.
    I must say that Apple f.e. did some really great multi-touch controls/surfaces with Garage Band iOS. Maybe even the most touch friendly iOS DAW. Sadly a bit too crippled in some areas.
    Things like Finger Fiddle, ThumbJam are amazing and would not work the same on another platform. Sadly the best multi-touch apps are abandoned or stopped their evolution.

I think the reason why 'all in one' DAWs don't exist on iOS is that you simply can't pack all the features in accessible way, so they have to ditch or simplify things. Also AppStore with its rules doesn't help the situation.
    Not sure if it's Apple's persistence that convinced us that this can be a laptop replacement or us wanting to replace our laptops with tablets just to mimic laptop workflow at the end, but seeing that many still waiting for some desktop/hardware ports I guess this is what we going to get. Thankfully there are new apps that require you to touch them like Mononoke or GlitchCore and the old timers you mentioned.

• @0tolerance4silence said:

@Clueless said:

@greengrocer said:

@brambos said:

@Clueless said:

I think the reason why 'all in one' DAWs don't exist on iOS is that you simply can't pack all the features in accessible way, so they have to ditch or simplify things. Also AppStore with its rules doesn't help the situation.
    Not sure if it's Apple's persistence that convinced us that this can be a laptop replacement or us wanting to replace our laptops with tablets just to mimic laptop workflow at the end, but seeing that many still waiting for some desktop/hardware ports I guess this is what we going to get. Thankfully there are new apps that require you to touch them like Mononoke or GlitchCore and the old timers you mentioned.

Oh i also would like some more desktop ports since there are still things which are not exist in iOS but actually would speed up workflow a lot and avoid switching apps, plug-ins which is a main deal-breaker for me sometimes.
    But in general an iPad could never really replace my notebook while my notebook never can replace an iPad. An iPad even cannot replace my iPhone and vice versa.
    Maybe in 10 years we have A.I. OS which automatic translate tools for certain input, screens, surfaces etc.
    I thought some years ago we would be already there now but all the yearly software upgrades with sometimes need better hardware to run is like one step forward, one step back. No progress.

• Then today again i saw rumors about these mysterious ARM macbooks. At some point i think they will come and maybe they will run iPad OS along with macOS? Could be also a reason iPad and iPad OS gets more laptop like features and trackpad support etc.
    At least i must say Apple make really by far the best trackpads. I hate using mouse of any kind but i really like the trackpads. But not for iPads :) Well, not yet. Maybe the prove me wrong.
    F.e. there is a nice app which lets me use my trackpad (or any trackpad for mac) as midi controller, MPE controller and even velocity. So a bit like the velocity keyboard app. Of course you have no visual feedback on the trackpad itself, just on a virtual trackpad on the screen. But i like sometimes to use these things to avoid a need of a hardware midi controller and having the keys for shortcuts and the whole screen for editing.
    There is one thing i find odd with iOS and that is too much switching around if an app not support several open windows or slide over (or how it is named?).
    I would like to use f.e. a virtual keyboard which is always on screen (at best at the bottom) while i can switch trough all iOS music apps. Would be great if there would be a general thing for this. But maybe this is already too far a notebook workflow? Sometimes the convergence is close but sometimes its already over the top or its missing simple things which would speed up my iOS workflow a lot.