Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playbeat by AUDIOMODERN EOOD

Comments

• I am not satisfied with Playbeat's AUv3 implementation:
    1. It does not show up as a MIDI source or destination. (Unlike Riffer)
    2. The presets are not exposed to the host (AUM, apeMatrix)
    3. There are no automation parameters exposed to the host (AUM, apeMatrix)
    4. There is no state saving?

The only way to route MIDI into the host is to route it out from Playbeat, which means the host will never be able to save the routing.

• @mojozart said:
    I am not satisfied with Playbeat's AUv3 implementation:
    1. It does not show up as a MIDI source or destination. (Unlike Riffer)
    2. The presets are not exposed to the host (AUM, apeMatrix)
    3. There are no automation parameters exposed to the host (AUM, apeMatrix)
    4. There is no state saving?

The only way to route MIDI into the host is to route it out from Playbeat, which means the host will never be able to save the routing.

I agree. @Audiomodern it would be great to see these issues fixed. Thanks!👍

• @mojozart they made an update and with it came the fix for the statesaving 👍🏼 Working now!

• @mojozart I agree with you. Playbeat is a great app but its MIDI implementation should be better. I hope in a (near) future update.

• To be honest, I am struggling with the save/presets implementation. Just not that intuitive (to me). Have lost a number of patterns by misunderstanding or overwriting. Has happened three or four times: Get frustrated, walk away for a week, come back, repeat etc. Not blaming the app per se. Just UX and as devs know you certainly can't please all the idiots all the time and on this one I'm certainly the idiot, more's the pity.

• edited November 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    To be honest, I am struggling with the save/presets implementation. Just not that intuitive (to me). Have lost a number of patterns by misunderstanding or overwriting. Has happened three or four times: Get frustrated, walk away for a week, come back, repeat etc. Not blaming the app per se. Just UX and as devs know you certainly can't please all the idiots all the time and on this one I'm certainly the idiot, more's the pity.

Seems ok in standalone. There’s no ‘load’ button, so you double tap a name in the list, and then one of the two save options, for saving.

Had a few crashes in AUM recently.

• @JohnnyGoodyear Now that you mention it, the preset system is a bit wonky.. I’m usually just randomizing whatever is on the screen and not worried about even keeping presets.. BUT.. from page 31 in the manual.. hope it helps..

• Is there a way to using midi to changes patterns or presets? If so what would you use?

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    To be honest, I am struggling with the save/presets implementation. Just not that intuitive (to me). Have lost a number of patterns by misunderstanding or overwriting. Has happened three or four times: Get frustrated, walk away for a week, come back, repeat etc. Not blaming the app per se. Just UX and as devs know you certainly can't please all the idiots all the time and on this one I'm certainly the idiot, more's the pity.

Seems ok in standalone. There’s no ‘load’ button, so you double tap a name in the list, and then one of the two save options, for saving.

Yessir. Might well be my fat calloused fingers. I've noticed even when choosing samples (Kick, snare etc) from their list, I often have to hit it ten times to get going....will give it another go.

• @royor said:
    @JohnnyGoodyear Now that you mention it, the preset system is a bit wonky.. I’m usually just randomizing whatever is on the screen and not worried about even keeping presets.. BUT.. from page 31 in the manual.. hope it helps..

I appreciate you snapping/posting. I will go back and have another consistent fiddle.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Yessir. Might well be my fat calloused fingers. I've noticed even when choosing samples (Kick, snare etc) from their list, I often have to hit it ten times to get going....will give it another go.

Ah right, I get that as well, thought it was just me.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Ah right, I get that as well, thought it was just me.

Enormity loves company :)

• I'm pretty sure you are supposed to double tap to load a sample.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I'm pretty sure you are supposed to double tap to load a sample.

Believe me, I double tap, triple salkow tap, spin and beat and incant, make promises, wheedle and whine :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Believe me, I double tap, triple salkow tap, spin and beat and incant, make promises, wheedle and whine :)

I think the devs are using an Apple Pencil

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Perhaps not suitably pleasant manners?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Perhaps not suitably pleasant manners?

I start off with this:

but end up with:

and from there it's all:

• @JohnnyGoodyear
    Maybe try using your pinky?
    😉

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

This describes my experience in Korg Electribe Wave exactly. I mean, exactly.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

This describes my experience in Korg Electribe Wave exactly. I mean, exactly.

Yeah me too, never got the hang of that one. Partly due to me not putting enough effort in, as it just seems easier to get the same effect with different tools. Also see NS2, BM3 etc.

• Experiencing something strange, anyone else? When I change presets within Playbeats inside AUM using either internal keyboard or Woodstepper the DSP often jumps well beyond 100 even if only 1 version of Playbeats is playing and nothing else playing. Is this a bug?

• @Toastedghost said:
    Experiencing something strange, anyone else? When I change presets within Playbeats inside AUM using either internal keyboard or Woodstepper the DSP often jumps well beyond 100 even if only 1 version of Playbeats is playing and nothing else playing. Is this a bug?

...and then the timing drifts. This is my endless pain with Playbeat.

• @gsm909 said:

@Toastedghost said:
    Experiencing something strange, anyone else? When I change presets within Playbeats inside AUM using either internal keyboard or Woodstepper the DSP often jumps well beyond 100 even if only 1 version of Playbeats is playing and nothing else playing. Is this a bug?

...and then the timing drifts. This is my endless pain with Playbeat.

Time drifts not experienced yet but DSP spikes yes. This introduces a crackle into the mix

• I’m getting this in AUM on my phone. I’m presuming this is for iPads only?!

• Playbeats zombies out in AUM sometimes when a new app is loaded. Still love it despite its erratic behavior.

• @ecamburn said:
    Playbeats zombies out in AUM sometimes when a new app is loaded. Still love it despite its erratic behavior.

Yeah happening to me too. However, the randomiser comes up with some really usable beats.

• Need help connecting it to send midi to KEW standalone for the drums. I believe the drums run midi channels 9-16 but no matter what connection it simply wont play anything 😳

So I’m using it in AUM as midi strip to KEW as IAA. Any setup help appreciated.

@david_2017 said:
    Sure, mate.

I think this screenshot explains is already pretty much. If any thing is still unclear. Let me know.

Playbeat is in a MIDI Strip.

@Prog1967 said:

@david_2017 said:
    Had a quick test with Fractal bits and this worked like a charm!

Amazing point release! Great addition to a very cool generative Plug

Hi David, can you explain to me how can I connect it to Fractal Bits? I tried to do it with no success. Thanks in advance

• I’m experiencing the same cpu spikes. Never had a single glitch from AUM until I started using playbeat. It’s lots of fun to mess about with but I don’t think I could trust it in a live performance setting :(

And thank you @david_2017 , your screenshot explaining midi really helped me get playbeat to play well with my other drum apps

• mine is jumping on and off, a pain !

• @mlau said:
    mine is jumping on and off, a pain !

Do you have the latest version? they pushed another update that dealt with the clock and timing things...