Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cool and Very Weird Video and Photo Effects app MOSHUP

edited March 2020 in Other

Hey,

I've been playing with this new app from the developer of other interesting apps like Bluristic, Fluxu, etc.

It's called Moshup. It's hard to explain what it does, but it's VERY unique. I'm not a beta-tester and have purchased all of his graphics apps at full price. Most of them let you use most of the app with an inexpensive IAP to get higher resolution output and such.

This new one lets you shoot some video, then either repeat pixels or sort of a randomization of the pixels, then also... and this is where it really gets interesting... sort of mosh them into a second video into the first capture. You can go on and on like this for some extremely unique abstract and twisted effects.

I bought the IAP for $2.99 to get higher resolution output, but you can use nearly all the app for free.

It's not very straight forward on how to use. You just have to get in there... experiment... and get weird with it. Soon you'll get the hang of what's going on.

Here's the dev's instagram account for examples: https://www.instagram.com/moshup_app/

Here's the app: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/moshup/id1493084077

Comments

• Cool! I'm guessing you can import anything from Photos?

• Nice! Thanks for the tip...

• Good find, looks like Sparkle for videos.

@skiphunt you might want to edit you link so people don’t get this:

• edited March 2020

@InfoCheck said:
    Good find, looks like Sparkle for videos.

@skiphunt you might want to edit you link so people don’t get this:

That’s weird. I own the app and bought the IAP. I just cut/pasted from desktop because I was reading a dev reply to my review. Updated, thx 🙏

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/moshup/id1493084077

• edited March 2020

@auxmux said:
    Cool! I'm guessing you can import anything from Photos?

Not yet. Live capture only, but the dev says that’s coming soon :)

• Thank you, I love datamoshing

• @animalelder said:
    Thank you, I love datamoshing

It’s really addictive. The devs samples where he does a kind of match frame on the mosh can get some great inception level bizarreness that’s really cool. Haven’t quite mastered that myself though

• Looks like something I'd have fun with when it can import video. I think I'll hold off messing with it until it does. If you don't mind updating here if that happens, it would be much appreciated.

• @skiphunt Thanks for sharing that.. Really interesting + creative +... It's alive!
    His other apps look just as unique.. downloading some of them now..

• Thank you sir @skiphunt !
    Gonna mash some pixelz

• edited March 2020

Hey all, again... most of the app is free. I don't recall what you get extra for the $2.99 IAP. I paid for it because I wanted the highest export resolution for video and to support the dev. There might be a couple other things too.... but I'd say at least 90% of the app's function are completely free.

If you're holding out for when/if he adds the photo/video import from the camera roll, he says he's working on that right now. If it looks like something you'd dig, but not sure you want to spend the $2.99 for the IAP, just install it for free and play with it in order to figure out what it can do.

Some things that might not be too obvious...

1. While you're shooting, if you slide your finger up to the right side you'll see a ratio like 1/15, etc. that's how many frames are repeated for interesting effects. The more frames, the more it looks like a loop, the fewer frames looks more abstract. You control how many frames in the repeating buffer by sliding up and down.
    2. If you slide your finger up to the left side while shooting, that randomizes the frames for trippy abstract effects. (similar to the repeat side, but more random)
    3. While shooting, you can slide your finger up to the repeating frames side, the slide over to the random side, then back to repeated frames, then back down to regular capture... all live while you're shooting.
    4. When you finish and want to save what you've done, you have a choice to save the last frame as a photo, or the video of what you just captured, or you can save both at the same time. I always save both and decide later what to keep. You can then export out of the app's library into the camera roll.

Hidden feature easter egg ;) - After you've been messing around with the abstract stuff and get a screen you like, the very next recording pics up from there. The video saved will be the first clip, plus subsequent clips with data moshing in between each recording. HOWEVER, if you want to have the last trippy frame you just created be the beginning of the next moshing sequence instead of including the video that preceded it... you can long press the trash can and select "Reset Recording".

• Thanks!

@skiphunt said:
    Hey all, again... most of the app is free. I don't recall what you get extra for the $2.99 IAP. I paid for it because I wanted the highest export resolution for video and to support the dev. There might be a couple other things too.... but I'd say at least 90% of the app's function are completely free.

If you're holding out for when/if he adds the photo/video import from the camera roll, he says he's working on that right now. If it looks like something you'd dig, but not sure you want to spend the $2.99 for the IAP, just install it for free and play with it in order to figure out what it can do.

Some things that might not be too obvious...

1. While you're shooting, if you slide your finger up to the right side you'll see a ratio like 1/15, etc. that's how many frames are repeated for interesting effects. The more frames, the more it looks like a loop, the fewer frames looks more abstract. You control how many frames in the repeating buffer by sliding up and down.
    2. If you slide your finger up to the left side while shooting, that randomizes the frames for trippy abstract effects. (similar to the repeat side, but more random)
    3. While shooting, you can slide your finger up to the repeating frames side, the slide over to the random side, then back to repeated frames, then back down to regular capture... all live while you're shooting.
    4. When you finish and want to save what you've done, you have a choice to save the last frame as a photo, or the video of what you just captured, or you can save both at the same time. I always save both and decide later what to keep. You can then export out of the app's library into the camera roll.

Hidden feature easter egg ;) - After you've been messing around with the abstract stuff and get a screen you like, the very next recording pics up from there. The video saved will be the first clip, plus subsequent clips with data moshing in between each recording. HOWEVER, if you want to have the last trippy frame you just created be the beginning of the next moshing sequence instead of including the video that preceded it... you can long press the trash can and select "Reset Recording".

• Cool, thanks for the tip!

• Thanks for pointing this out. Really inspiring app. It’s like user controlled mpeg artifacts!

I did some shots with bushes, flowers,etc. it’s amazing the resolution he’s able to get in the 3D models just based on motion tracking and parallax... no 3D scanner, etc. impressive stuff.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Thanks for pointing this out. Really inspiring app. It’s like user controlled mpeg artifacts!

I did some shots with bushes, flowers,etc. it’s amazing the resolution he’s able to get in the 3D models just based on motion tracking and parallax... no 3D scanner, etc. impressive stuff.

Yeah, I I’ve it so much and it’s so unique... I was tempted to keep it a secret ;) but I ultimately want the dev to have success with it so that it continues to evolve :)

• I was trying to do this with plugins in after effects a couple of years ago and had a proper 'mare and didn't get anywhere close to how well this does it...

• @Krupa said:
    I was trying to do this with plugins in after effects a couple of years ago and had a proper 'mare and didn't get anywhere close to how well this does it...

You have to use a displacement map plugin, that what this app does, uses one video as a displacement map for the other

• @Strizbiz said:

@Krupa said:
    I was trying to do this with plugins in after effects a couple of years ago and had a proper 'mare and didn't get anywhere close to how well this does it...

You have to use a displacement map plugin, that what this app does, uses one video as a displacement map for the other

FYI: I like to keep mine set for the higher resolution (that you get with the IAP) and I prefer the effects. I also like the higher/finer codec. I believe the dev told me that the mapping is better with the lower/less fine codec. I've tried both and prefer to set everything the highest, but you should play with the settings and decide for yourself.

• This hurts my brain a little bit.

• @Strizbiz said:

@Krupa said:

Feels like this one’s actually doing the ab stream switch thing with it though...

• @Strizbiz said:

@Krupa said:

Pretty sure it’s more than just a displacement map... It’s creating a 3D model you can move around and that moves with the subject.

• I think it’s doing proper ‘moshing’ as it’s called - video codecs work by having a frames which are kinda like key frames that are a whole picture and b frames which are a bunch of vectors (and other Clever tricks) and the codecs use the b frame'sv ectors to distort / displace the a frames until the codec decides enough is enough and it's time for a fresh a frame... So it's kinda like what striz said but a little bit more to it... When I was making my attempt (I can't remember why, probably a music video pitch) I went as far as getting some esoteric video encoding software and deliberately swapping the streams from different bits is video. It works but it really time consuming and a right pain, whereas this is practically realtime, and looks better than the one after effects plugin I found back then that sort of did the same thing...

• For those of you who where interested in this app... the developer just updated this with a VERY cool new feature. You can now import videos in from the camera roll, then "moshup" with a duplicate of that video OR a new second video OR use the live camera. It really open it up to all kinds of strange and twisted/glitchy possibilities!

It's included if you already bought the IAP. If you haven't the IAP went up a little for the new feature.

The main app is still completely free though, so you can get an idea what you can do with it.

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1493084077?ign-mpt=uo=4

• @skiphunt said:
    For those of you who where interested in this app... the developer just updated this with a VERY cool new feature. You can now import videos in from the camera roll, then "moshup" with a duplicate of that video OR a new second video OR use the live camera. It really open it up to all kinds of strange and twisted/glitchy possibilities!

It's included if you already bought the IAP. If you haven't the IAP went up a little for the new feature.

The main app is still completely free though, so you can get an idea what you can do with it.

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1493084077?ign-mpt=uo=4

thank you for the tip

• Here's the dev's insta if you wanna get an idea what it does

https://www.instagram.com/moshup_app/

• edited December 2020

There is a new free app called Beatsy, it uses AR to move your surroundings like a speaker, or one of a few other options. Haven’t used it yet but looks pretty cool. This looks like something that could create some real cool videos, and/or scenes in a video.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/beatsy/id1543162330

Edit - wrong thread

• There is always this app. It’s real-time DataMoshing but a different take. They ( Destroy All Circuits )have two DataMoshing apps both focusing on audio and DataMoshing. Here is one of them. Very different than MoshUp but a good one for the arsenal.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/datamosh-reactive/id1582860802