Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

need a new audio interface...

i want to get a new audio interface for my ipad/ pc.
i'm currently using the rme babyface (first version) and the ipad air 2, but i'm hoping the rumours of new ipad pro versions being released soon, is correct.
if so, i'll probably buy one of those new ones.
if not, i'll probably buy the latest ipad pro version available.
i've used the rme babyface for almost 10 years now and it's been great, but lately i've been having problems, that i think are related to the breakout cable.
i'm gonna order a new breakout cable, just to make sure, but i also feel that it's time for a change, so i wanna try another audio interface.
also, it would be nice with 4 inputs, instead of 2...

i've read/ watched a lot, regarding audio interfaces lately and right now, i'm leaning towards the following 2:

• audient id44
  • focusrite clarett 4pre usb

AUDIENT
i've been in contact with audient and they don't recommend the id44, for use with the ipad.
this is very unfortunate, as i was pretty set on buying this.
this is what audient wrote to me:
"i'm afraid the id44 isn't ipad compatible and there is no software which can control the id44 on ios.
i can't recommend the id44 for use on ios"
they also wrote, in another response:
"the only device from our interface range that we officially support for ios is the id4.
you might be able to use our other interfaces as simple input and output devices with an ipad, but they are not fully ios compatible, as some features require the id mixer software in order to be used, while all features for the id4 are available from the unit itself."

so, it doesn't sound very promising, but i appreciate their honesty.
i'm pretty sure though, that i've read about ipad musicians, successfully using other audient audio intefaces, than the id4...
anyone here using audient (other than id4) with your ipad and can share some info about this?
anyone here actually using the id44 specifically, with your ipad?

FOCUSRITE
regarding my other option, the focusrite audio interface...
it doesn't seem to have any ipad software either, from what i've read?
i haven't been in contact with them yet, but i probably will...
anyone here using one of the clarett 2/4/8pre usb audio intefaces and can share some info about this?

both of my options are a pretty costly, so i just wanna make 100% sure, that i won't run into any compatibility problems, using them with my ipad/ pc setup.
i'd really appreciate some help from users of these audio interfaces, that could help me decide the very best/ right option.

i'm a singer/ songwriter and the primary use of the audio interface, would be to record my own vocals, into auria pro (or maybe cubasis) using my condenser mic.
then export the audiofiles to my pc, for further editing and completion of the song.
another use would be to film myself, performing songs, using a drum machine (either the beatbuddy, or a bass drum stomp pedal) and the voicelive 3.
probably some other scenarios that i can't remember right now (it's pretty late here in sweden).

Comments

• I've used the MOTU M4 with excellent results with both my iPad and desktop computer (Linux) but it works with PCs and Macs and is audio and MIDI class compliant, no driver necessary.

https://motu.com/en-us/products/m-series/m4/

• edited March 2020

I’m considering the Arturia Audiofuse Studio should be shipping this month.

• I'm using the Steinberg UR242, it's got 2 mic-in and 2 line in with 2-out plus Midi I/O.
    I do wish it's Mic Pre's were a bit cleaner at higher gain levels. If the input levels is hot enough and there's no need to normalize it's ok, but when normalizing the noise floor can creep up at least when compared to other interfaces...

Steinberg provides the dspMixFX.app for full control over the DSP and other settings of the device.

• @brynte5 said:
    "i'm afraid the id44 isn't ipad compatible and there is no software which can control the id44 on ios.
    "the only device from our interface range that we officially support for ios is the id4.
    you might be able to use our other interfaces as simple input and output devices with an ipad, but they are not fully ios compatible, as some features require the id mixer software in order to be used, while all features for the id4 are available from the unit itself."

i'm pretty sure though, that i've read about ipad musicians, successfully using other audient audio intefaces, than the id4...
    anyone here using audient (other than id4) with your ipad and can share some info about this?

... then export the audiofiles to my pc, for further editing and completion of the song.

In that case you're safe using the ID44: set it up on PC, it will store the configuration internally and use it on IOS as well.
    The onboard storage is the main difference to the ID22, which I use for > 5 years in IOS.

It's my favourite recording device for microphone and instrument input and the monitor section is stellar.
    The preamp sits between an ultra clean RME and a Telefunken V676a. (I know the latter myself)
    It's a bit modern and a bit vintage, a nice compromise, and Audient uses the exact same inputs in their expensive broadcast consoles.

• @Deskscape said:
    I've used the MOTU M4 with excellent results with both my iPad and desktop computer (Linux) but it works with PCs and Macs and is audio and MIDI class compliant, no driver necessary.

I 2nd the motu m4. Love it love it love it! I’ll be grabbing the ssl 2+ and the evo (made by audient) also out of curiousity. But I love the motu m4.

• How about an RME Babyface Pro, you’ll have 4 inputs, and can easily add another 8 with a Focusrite/PreSonus/Behringer ADAT Pre, they sound awesome, are built awesome and use no breakout cables, are very reliable, have the Total Mix app which is the same exact app used on their high end interfaces and has a great equalizer, has Midi, and the dawg on things just work. I’ve been using one now for a couple years with a 2nd generation iPad Pro with no hiccups.

• I'm planning to pick up the Behringer UMC204HD because I'm very much an amateur/hobbiest. It's so inexpensive and has surprisingly good reviews on YouTube. I want to use it to try jamming with a guitar player friend.

• @Deskscape said:
    I've used the MOTU M4 with excellent results with both my iPad and desktop computer (Linux) but it works with PCs and Macs and is audio and MIDI class compliant, no driver necessary.

+1

MOTU has been my favorite since I went with an Ultralite Mk4 last year. Great IO connectivity, flawless operation as standalone mixer and as an interface for iOS or my Mac.
    I’ll prob end up eventually getting a used X32 when I need more IO but definitely keeping the MOTU around indefinitely for submix duty and/or as dedicated iPad interface.

• @brynte5 i just gave the Id 44 a run with my iPad Pro and it seems to work great. I'm guessing it's just the mixer routing stuff you can't get to. All the Id 44 inputs showed up in aum and I recorded guitar and used my keyboard with iFretless bass.

• Audient ID14 works great on iOS. And the ID mixer software works on OS when I need to change settings. That's cool of Audient to let you know of the limitations but all of them are gonna be with the mixer software so it depends on how much you think you're going to be setting up alternate headphone mixes, grouping 2 channels to 1 stereo input, etc.

• Yes, the Audient control panel app doesn't exist in an IOS version, but he can do the setup on his PC and then the same routing will be active in IOS and will be remembered across power cycles.

• edited March 2020

I'd recommend Focusrite Scarlett 4i4, or 8i6 etc if you need more channels or headphone jacks.

The drivers are class compliant and you don't need any dedicated software. Auria, Cubasis, AUM, etc will see all of its inputs and outputs, and its MIDI I/O.

I think the Scarlett preamps are great.

• @Eschatone said:

@Deskscape said:

+1

MOTU has been my favorite since I went with an Ultralite Mk4 last year. Great IO connectivity, flawless operation as standalone mixer and as an interface for iOS or my Mac.
    I’ll prob end up eventually getting a used X32 when I need more IO but definitely keeping the MOTU around indefinitely for submix duty and/or as dedicated iPad interface.

+2

I've had the MOTU M4 since it was released. It's terrific, so much so that it replaced my Clarett 2pre. Effortless with a Mac. For Lightning iOS devices, it needs a camera adapter (you probably knew that) and a powered USB hub.

• I've been really enjoying using a keith mcmillen k-mix with my iPad. Has mixer functionality but is also an 8-in 10-out interface. Solid iOS support and you can often find them used for fairly cheap. Good midi implementation and some usable "FX" (eq, compressor) too. It's kinda cumbersome as a standalone mixer but still useful.

• thanx so much everyone, for helping out :-)

a lot of great suggestions here and i really appreciate your input.
    atm i'm still kinda leaning towards the audient id44.
    i really like how it's designed and i've read/ watched a lot of reviews and comments about it and i'm liking what i hear/ see... :-)

@Telefunky said:

@brynte5 said:

... then export the audiofiles to my pc, for further editing and completion of the song.

In that case you're safe using the ID44: set it up on PC, it will store the configuration internally and use it on IOS as well.
    The onboard storage is the main difference to the ID22, which I use for > 5 years in IOS.

It's my favourite recording device for microphone and instrument input and the monitor section is stellar.
    The preamp sits between an ultra clean RME and a Telefunken V676a. (I know the latter myself)
    It's a bit modern and a bit vintage, a nice compromise, and Audient uses the exact same inputs in their expensive broadcast consoles.

thanx a lot, for your input.
    about "set it up on PC, it will store the configuration internally and use it on IOS as well".
    i'd appreciate some clarification about that part.
    what exactly, would need to be set up on pc?
    is it complicated?
    in my case, i'm pretty much all into audio recording (not midi), so for example, let's say i wanna record vocals with a condenser mic in an ipad daw...
    after that, i wanna record my guitar through the line in and at the same time with a mic...
    what would i need to set up on my pc, in this scenario, in order to successfully record my vocals, with the best possible quality?

@cloudswimmer said:
    How about an RME Babyface Pro, you’ll have 4 inputs, and can easily add another 8 with a Focusrite/PreSonus/Behringer ADAT Pre, they sound awesome, are built awesome and use no breakout cables, are very reliable, have the Total Mix app which is the same exact app used on their high end interfaces and has a great equalizer, has Midi, and the dawg on things just work. I’ve been using one now for a couple years with a 2nd generation iPad Pro with no hiccups.

thanx for your input.
    yeah, even though i'm now leaning towards the audient id44, the rme babyface pro fs, was my initial and obvious choice for the upgrade and i still haven't ruled it out completely, cause it really seems to be awesome, but i've been using the rme babyface (first version) for almost 10 years now and i feel like maybe i'd like to try something else this time...
    i read something about the new rme babyface pro fs, isn't ios compatible, like the previous rme babyfaces, but that can't be correct info, right?
    other than that question, it does feel like the most "safe" option of all...

@Bootsy said:
    @brynte5 i just gave the Id 44 a run with my iPad Pro and it seems to work great. I'm guessing it's just the mixer routing stuff you can't get to. All the Id 44 inputs showed up in aum and I recorded guitar and used my keyboard with iFretless bass.

awesome.
    ok, did you set it up on your computer before those ipad recordings?
    how did you record the guitars?
    any difficulties with that?
    yeah, i've been using the rme babyface for almost 10 years, but i've actually never really used the mixer/ routing, cause i've always wanted to record my audio, without any effects anyway.
    so i'm guessing the audient id44 works just like i want it to...

@BitterGums said:
    Audient ID14 works great on iOS. And the ID mixer software works on OS when I need to change settings. That's cool of Audient to let you know of the limitations but all of them are gonna be with the mixer software so it depends on how much you think you're going to be setting up alternate headphone mixes, grouping 2 channels to 1 stereo input, etc.

thanx for your input.
    yeah, very cool move by them.
    i don't think i'd need to set much things up.
    i'm not sure what would need to be set up, though...?

• @brynte5 you probably don't need any setup to record as described, as the regular in/out connections are always visible.
    (that's how I used the ID22)
    To change routing/monitoring there's a mixer control panel by Audient running on PC/Mac.
    Just install the PC software, connect the interface and start the panel - it's simple.
    (you may check the documentation in advance, it describes the options)

• @brynte5 said:
    thanx so much everyone, for helping out :-)

a lot of great suggestions here and i really appreciate your input.
    atm i'm still kinda leaning towards the audient id44.
    i really like how it's designed and i've read/ watched a lot of reviews and comments about it and i'm liking what i hear/ see... :-)

@Telefunky said:

@brynte5 said:

thanx a lot, for your input.
    about "set it up on PC, it will store the configuration internally and use it on IOS as well".
    i'd appreciate some clarification about that part.
    what exactly, would need to be set up on pc?
    is it complicated?
    in my case, i'm pretty much all into audio recording (not midi), so for example, let's say i wanna record vocals with a condenser mic in an ipad daw...
    after that, i wanna record my guitar through the line in and at the same time with a mic...
    what would i need to set up on my pc, in this scenario, in order to successfully record my vocals, with the best possible quality?

@cloudswimmer said:
    How about an RME Babyface Pro, you’ll have 4 inputs, and can easily add another 8 with a Focusrite/PreSonus/Behringer ADAT Pre, they sound awesome, are built awesome and use no breakout cables, are very reliable, have the Total Mix app which is the same exact app used on their high end interfaces and has a great equalizer, has Midi, and the dawg on things just work. I’ve been using one now for a couple years with a 2nd generation iPad Pro with no hiccups.

thanx for your input.
    yeah, even though i'm now leaning towards the audient id44, the rme babyface pro fs, was my initial and obvious choice for the upgrade and i still haven't ruled it out completely, cause it really seems to be awesome, but i've been using the rme babyface (first version) for almost 10 years now and i feel like maybe i'd like to try something else this time...
    i read something about the new rme babyface pro fs, isn't ios compatible, like the previous rme babyfaces, but that can't be correct info, right?
    other than that question, it does feel like the most "safe" option of all...

@Bootsy said:
    @brynte5 i just gave the Id 44 a run with my iPad Pro and it seems to work great. I'm guessing it's just the mixer routing stuff you can't get to. All the Id 44 inputs showed up in aum and I recorded guitar and used my keyboard with iFretless bass.

awesome.
    ok, did you set it up on your computer before those ipad recordings?
    how did you record the guitars?
    any difficulties with that?
    yeah, i've been using the rme babyface for almost 10 years, but i've actually never really used the mixer/ routing, cause i've always wanted to record my audio, without any effects anyway.
    so i'm guessing the audient id44 works just like i want it to...

yes I was initially using it with my Mac although I was using my iPad via a zoom u44 using the optical out of the zoom into the I'd 44. So I had setup a couple of things in the mixer. Like two sets of monitors I wanted to output to both at the same time. unplugged from the Mac and Just plugged the Id into the cck 3, I think I needed the iPad charger plugged in as well. The guitar I just went into the direct input on the front of the Id and into aum. And recorded it in aum. No dsp affects in the Id 44.

@BitterGums said:
    Audient ID14 works great on iOS. And the ID mixer software works on OS when I need to change settings. That's cool of Audient to let you know of the limitations but all of them are gonna be with the mixer software so it depends on how much you think you're going to be setting up alternate headphone mixes, grouping 2 channels to 1 stereo input, etc.

thanx for your input.
    yeah, very cool move by them.
    i don't think i'd need to set much things up.
    i'm not sure what would need to be set up, though...?

• What do you guys think about the MOTU Ultralite AVB?

https://www.amazon.com/MOTU-UltraLite-AVB-USB-Interface/dp/B00TUH9I7K/

• @Keyb said:
    What do you guys think about the MOTU Ultralite AVB?

https://www.amazon.com/MOTU-UltraLite-AVB-USB-Interface/dp/B00TUH9I7K/

I had both the UltraLite and the ID44. The ID44 sounded way better than anything else i’ve had to date (i’ve had a lot RME APOGEE MOTU iCA4) . I’m now upgrading to the Audiofuse Studio. Will report my findings when it ships...

• Would a powered ipad Pro 2017 power the motu m4 via usb C do you know?

@Deskscape said:

• Not sure they’re still made but I find the Roland duo capture ex works very well with my iPad. Decent pre’s for the cost imho.

• edited March 2020

thanx to everyone, for your responses :-)

i finally made my decision, so i asked a friend to buy the audient id44 for me (i live pretty far from the closest music store), so i'm getting it this weekend (maybe even tomorrow) :-)
    i'm looking forward to trying something new :-)

one thing i've been wondering about, is if there's a carrying case to buy for the audient id44?
    it would be nice to have a proper case, where it's more safe from small bumps, instead of some random plastic bag, when you need to bring it somewhere...
    looking for a case, i found that universal audio have nice cases, for their audio interfaces...
    i'm thinking that, maybe one of their interfaces (apollo twin, or arrow...), happens to be about the same size as the audient id44, so if audient don't have a case, maybe one of the ua:s cases, would be a great fit...?
    what do you think?

• edited March 2020

just picked up my audient id44 :-)
    still in the box...
    excited!

another thing, besides a protective case for the audient id44, that i'll be looking for, is a stand with an angle, so you'll get a better view of all the buttons, switches and knobs, of the id44...
    any ideas for a protective case and a stand?
    i'm thinking something like this would be cool:

https://www.udggear.com/by-device/universal-audio/apollo-twin

https://www.twelvesouth.com/products/curve-for-macbook?variant=31432696463417

• @brynte5 congrats. Please share your experiences with it when u get a chance

• your gonna need a bigger case. It'll have to be at least 11x8x3. Id 44 is 10.8x 7.3x 2"

@brynte5 said:

still in the box...
    excited!

another thing, besides a protective case for the audient id44, that i'll be looking for, is a stand with an angle, so you'll get a better view of all the buttons, switches and knobs, of the id44...

• No, for use with an iPad, you'll need a powered USB hub as the CCK plus Apple charger doesn't generate enough power to handle the 48V phantom power and mic preamps of the M4. While that makes it less useful for a purely portable setup, the hub allows you to connect other USB hardware (keyboards etc.) at the same time.

@rhaley said:
    Would a powered ipad Pro 2017 power the motu m4 via usb C do you know?

@Deskscape said:

• @Deskscape said:
    No, for use with an iPad, you'll need a powered USB hub as the CCK plus Apple charger doesn't generate enough power to handle the 48V phantom power and mic preamps of the M4. While that makes it less useful for a purely portable setup, the hub allows you to connect other USB hardware (keyboards etc.) at the same time.

@rhaley said:
    Would a powered ipad Pro 2017 power the motu m4 via usb C do you know?

@Deskscape said:

is that also the situation with the audient id44?
    that the CCK plus Apple charger doesn't generate enough power to handle the 48V phantom power and mic preamps of the id44?> @ipadbeatmaking said:

@brynte5 congrats. Please share your experiences with it when u get a chance

sure, i'll be trying it out next week, recording vocals with a condenser mic.> @Bootsy said:

your gonna need a bigger case. It'll have to be at least 11x8x3. Id 44 is 10.8x 7.3x 2"

@brynte5 said:

still in the box...
    excited!

ok, thanx for that info.
    i'll keep on searching for a nice fit.

• i'm planning to record vocals, using my id44, an audio technica condenser mic and my ipad air 2, tomorrow...
    any tips for a smooth recording session?
    i know i'll have to save it in a standalone state, to work with the ipad.
    does that mean that whatever i save the buffer size and sample rate at, i won't be able to change them from my ipad daw?
    are there any guidelines, regarding what number of samples equals how much latency?

• Did you try it on the PC already ? Because there you can check the direct monitoring feature of the input signal (they call it cue path iirc).
    The interface has an onboard DSP that allows monitoring at about 1ms latency, but only the dry input signal.
    If you want to monitor with IOS fx engaged, you don't need that mixer at all and you probably don't have to setup anything for plain playback and vocal recording.

The setup/mixer control panel is first of all required for signal routing/busses.
    (in the earlier ID22 the digital channels were muted by default, so you couldn't send anything through them, but they appeared in IOS apps like AUM... that was nasty...)

Latency calculation: 48 samples represent 1 ms delay at 48 khz samplerate
    (44 at 44.1 khz, 96 at 96khz etc)
    A 128 sample buffer results in roughly 5ms of effective latency (you have input and output, so the buffer is travered twice), which is convenient for monitoring vocals.

• edited March 2020

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @brynte5 congrats. Please share your experiences with it when u get a chance

yeah, so i tried out my id44 yesterday, for the very first time.
    i was gonna record vocals, in auria pro, on my ipad air 2.
    everything went great and i didn't run into anything weird at all (which feels very uncommon for me).
    used a condenser mic (aston spirit).
    great experience overall.
    very happy with the id44, so far.
    ps! the only minor problem i had, was that i first tried to set the sample buffersize to 32 (in auria pro), but that didn't work, so i had to raise it to 64 and after that, no problems.

@Telefunky said:
    Did you try it on the PC already ? Because there you can check the direct monitoring feature of the input signal (they call it cue path iirc).
    The interface has an onboard DSP that allows monitoring at about 1ms latency, but only the dry input signal.
    If you want to monitor with IOS fx engaged, you don't need that mixer at all and you probably don't have to setup anything for plain playback and vocal recording.

no, i still haven't tried it on pc.
    ok, can you set those those up (cue path iirc and onboard DSP) in standalone state, for ipad recording/ monitoring?
    i tried recording vocals with the id44 on my ipad air 2 yesterday.
    everything went great and like it's supposed to.
    very happy with the id44, so far.

The setup/mixer control panel is first of all required for signal routing/busses.
    (in the earlier ID22 the digital channels were muted by default, so you couldn't send anything through them, but they appeared in IOS apps like AUM... that was nasty...)

ok, i don't think i'll be using any of those features anyway, so no worries here.

Latency calculation: 48 samples represent 1 ms delay at 48 khz samplerate
    (44 at 44.1 khz, 96 at 96khz etc)
    A 128 sample buffer results in roughly 5ms of effective latency (you have input and output, so the buffer is travered twice), which is convenient for monitoring vocals.

ok thanx for this.
    when recording vocals yesterday, i tried to set the buffer size, in auria pro, to 32 sample buffers, but that didn't work, so i raised it up to 64 and everything went great after that.
    one small problem i had with that, was after the recording, i imported the files to cubase, on my pc.
    for every file import, i got a warning, saying that the sample buffers don't match the project settings.
    i checked the project settings in cubase and the max setting there, is 60, so i couldn't set it right.