Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Photon AU not importing .mid files any more?

Hi,
I wonder if anyone else has an issue with this? Prior to the IPad OS update I was happily using Photon AU with Files on my IPad 2018, saving .mid clips made in other apps like Suggester into the Photon AU folder ‘On My IPad’ and then being able to open them in photon whilst using it inside AUM. I now find that it doesn’t recognise any files placed in the folder, despite me uninstalling and reinstalling. Any thoughts? I am also contacting the dev direct. Thanks.

Comments

• just realised this has been raised on the main Photon AU thread, my bad. I’ve cross posted on it there instead, FAO @midiSequencer
  • @svetlovska, are you sure you remember having done it that way before? The method I remember being described by @midiSequencer, and have always used is: Long-press the filename and then from the open-in dialog select "Copy to Photon AU". Then it would open the standalone with a confirmation that the file was loaded. Then it would be available in the AU.

I'm not loading iOS 13 on my iPad yet, so unfortunately I can't try, but that's the process that worked every time for me before.

• It isn’t showing up as a destination for ‘open in’ on iOS 13.

Seems like the same problem with trying to import the Icegear synth presets before the update fixed that problem.

• @wim Yup, I tried it in AUM and standalone, saving and copying manually or using the method you describe, but I see I’m not alone in this (and it’s not the only app that seems to have lost the one step ‘open in’ option since the update.) Guess I’ll have to keep my fingers crossed for an update.

• It’s slightly possible that uninstalling and reinstalling would re-establish the file association. But one would need to back up files, and it might not work anyway.

• @wim said:
    It’s slightly possible that uninstalling and reinstalling would re-establish the file association. But one would need to back up files, and it might not work anyway.

Already tried it.
    No use, unfortunately.

• Will look at a fix for this chaps

• @midiSequencer said:
    Will look at a fix for this chaps

Any progress on state-saving?

• @midiSequencer said:

Thank you :)

• @espiegel123 said:

@midiSequencer said:

Any progress on state-saving?

I'd made a start on it (saving/restoring events) so just need to complete it. I'ma bit behind on updates so will see if I can include in the next patch

• Circling back, any further developments on a fix for the midi file import issue with iPadOS? Open with...Photon does not show in the Share menu.

• @zilld2017 said:
    Circling back, any further developments on a fix for the midi file import issue with iPadOS? Open with...Photon does not show in the Share menu.

Scroll up 5 posts.

• @midiSequencer said:

Glad to see you’re still around @midiSequencer
    Regards

• Any update on the midi file import fix?

• @Dlowells80 said:
    Any update on the midi file import fix?

Haven't tried myself, but can you save a .mid file to Photons FILES folder?

• @audiblevideo said:

@Dlowells80 said:
    Any update on the midi file import fix?

Haven't tried myself, but can you save a .mid file to Photons FILES folder?

Changes to that folder will not show up in Photon. It appears you can only get one file at a time into the app by sharing via "Open in Photon AU".

I surmise that the "import fix" happened only on Apple's side by their restoring old functionality that they had broken in earlier iPadOS 13 versions.

Interestingly, in the Photon app notes it says that an iPhone / universal version is planned. Whenever that actually happens, you might have a chance on seeing updates to the import functionality.

With respect to using Files for browsing and accessing Midi, Jens Guell's 'GM Midi Player' app is the definite showcase how this should be done. Alas, he has withdrawn it from the App Store, and I wonder whether we will ever see the AU Midi player he also talked about releasing. As I understood it, that could have become an alternative to Photon AU.

• Jens Guell is an odd duck to be sure.

• The iOS music app scene would definitely be poorer without him ... still hoping to see more of his apps in the future.

• Wouldn't mind seeing some of his old apps back...

I like the apps I have of his, but the erratic way he's behaved generally has made me wary of buying anything else from him.