Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trying this out: Blocs Wave/Groovebox/AUM/Audiobus 3. Any one doing this, anything I should know?

Seems like a nice symmetry, Blocs Wave audio tracks and slicing with the new Groovebox. Performance and recording possibilities seem open ended.

Comments

• Yeah I’d say if you just set up some scenes in Groovebox and record as many variations of the performance into different slots in Blocs Wave, that should afford you many options. You could then export to launchpad and add even more fx and such. Personally I’d keep AUM out of it for simplicity sake but I get it if you need to add your favorite fx

• edited February 2020

@db909 said:
    Yeah I’d say if you just set up some scenes in Groovebox and record as many variations of the performance into different slots in Blocs Wave, that should afford you many options. You could then export to launchpad and add even more fx and such. Personally I’d keep AUM out of it for simplicity sake but I get it if you need to add your favorite fx

That’s cool- I actually was thinking about using Groovebox and Blocs Wave in parallel, (recording into AUM tracks) but I hadn’t thought about about using them in series...All kinds of back and forth possibilities there. Thanks!

• edited February 2020

Launchpad and Groovebox on the same Audiobus track with BlocsWave in the output slot with monitoring enabled is very quick and powerful for building things.

You can select the Bloc for recording from the Audiobus side panel and set the length and count in as desired. Solo the bit(s), record, repeat.

Total recall is a breeze, just remember to save the preset in Audiobus.

Once you have all the BlocsWave sections full, send it to Launchpad to add effects and try different combinations.

Bonus fun if you have the hardware controllers for GB and LP!

• @BlueGreenSpiral Could you elaborate on this?

All three Apps in AudioBus, with BlocsWave in a audio recording slot.

And the other two?
    Both in parallel as audio sender to BlocsWave?

Maybe a screenshot?
    Or a preset link?

:)

• edited February 2020

Step 1

Setting up BlocsWave

Record using the left panel

• edited February 2020

Don't mind me...I'm just here to steal ideas.

But here’s what I’ve been doing. Effectrix as a plugin transformed the way my audio came through those apps.. I’ve also briefly tested Blackhole Reverb and it’s done a lot of wonder to the atmosphere of my loops.

Sadly, I don’t have AUM. But I’ll add another app to the list. - Reason Compact has been competing with Groovebox/Gadget for the same spot for the past few weeks.

• edited February 2020

Here’s another tip - I made a blank Groovebox project and set a reminder that everyday, I make a simple sequence. Once I reach 20 sections (or I make a sequence I really really like,) I send the entire project to AudioShare so I can sort through it. With automation, whatever knobs I adjust in one, will be different ion the other. So, in 20 days, I have 20 * 8 = 160 loops. For free....

• I use this 3 app combo all the time, mostly just load the apps without a host and play. They do work well together, and as @BlueGreenSpiral says, add both the controllers and you can control the Launchpad and Groovebox apps simultaneously.
    There are various ways of working.... I tend to use AUM for recording the output from the apps together but that’s just because it’s what I’m used to. When using AUM to host, start the apps first before trying to load them into AUM.

Best tip I have is that when wanting to make your own launchpad projects, start them in blocs wave....blocs is the best place to build and Launchpad for performance, it is simple to transfer stuff from blocs to Launchpad....but you cannot send a project you start in launchpad over to blocs...you’d have to manually rebuild it.

• edited February 2020

Thanks @BlueGreenSpiral, @Samflash3, @AndyPlankton
    Looks like tons of fun -

What I’ve tried so far: AB hosting GB and BW, sent as parallel AB sources into AUM. At the minimum AUM is a way to record results, but I’m not ruling out fx (midi and otherwise) and other parallel sources

Got there because I’m enjoying the new iteration of Groovebox but wanted to use audio tracks, chops to pads, and clip launching support as well. Lots of live performance and improvisation possibilities.

But since posting, y’all have opened my eyes to all kinds of other possibilities...

• edited February 2020

I’ve been wondering about using Multi Track Recorder for each channel since I don’t have AUM. I read a previous post where someone uses it to organize their loops. Plus, it can be used in almost all DAWs which makes transferring a project easy.

• I’ve been using the blocs + koala combo for awhile now but just redownloaded groovebox again yesterday after not being too impressed at launch, and wow their suite of apps really do work well together. Great ideas here. There goes the weekend