Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT? What MacOS AU instruments should I purchase?

edited February 2020 in Other

Picked up a 2018 Mac mini. What audio unit synths/sampler should I get? I’m going to try Zenaud.io as my daw. Whats the best stuff out there((((((?))))))

V

Comments

• i’d take it back n get an ipad pro! 🧐🤣😎😏😀

• SynthMaster One

• For synths look at u-he stuff

• McDMcD
    edited February 2020

For $30 you can get MainStage 3 (an apple product) that contains all the AUv3 instruments/synth included with Apple's Logic Pro X DAW ($199).

That's one of the best deals on a Mac for $30. All of these au's will
    appear in the Zenaudio product too. It's a great set of synths and FX.

• @reasOne said:
    i’d take it back n get an ipad pro! 🧐🤣😎😏😀

Lol you knows i do’s

@MobileMusic said:
    SynthMaster One

I’ll check it out!

@ruggedsmooth said:
    For synths look at u-he stuff

Ahh Uhe...already peeping Zebra

@McD said:
    For $30 you can get MainStage 3 (an apple product) that contains all the AUv3 instruments/synth included with Apple's Logic Pro X DAW ($199).

This I did not know! Sweet! EXS in there too? I got so many .exs files

• edited February 2020

@nerVe said:

@McD said:

Yes. Totally agree with McD.

Before you purchase the Zenaud.io full version, make sure you really want to miss Logic Pro X.

• This bundle has some great things and the price is nice. Think everything in there is available separately for about 8 dollars, highly recommend Iris 2, Trash and RX elements.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/81-Bundle/89-Complete-Collection/6140-Plugin-Boutique-s-8th-Birthday-iZotope-Bundle

Eventide has some stuff on rotating discount and the new Spring thing is heavily reduced until March.

• @nerVe said:

@reasOne said:
    i’d take it back n get an ipad pro! 🧐🤣😎😏😀

Lol you knows i do’s

@MobileMusic said:
    SynthMaster One

I’ll check it out!

@ruggedsmooth said:
    For synths look at u-he stuff

Ahh Uhe...already peeping Zebra

@McD said:

There's an EXS import/export capable sampler in Logic/Mainstage. It also has an auto-sampler
    feature set.

The best way to get great instruments in the IOS AudioLayer sampler is to move these
    EXS exports right into AudioLayer. Some don't work but a great many do.

• Of course you will get a million answers. First....Logic Pro X, alone Alchemy is worth it :)
    But the very best sounding synth for these organic, analog, vintage, brassy and so on i ever heard and played (and that includes hardware) is P900 modular for me.
    Never heard such an organic sound from a subtractive synth, best filters, best delay, best reverb and (polyphonic) saturation i ever heard on any synth (and yes, also including synths from U-he, Synapse Audio, Native Instruments etc.)
    I saw that the (new) developers seems to port it to juice (i think it was built with X-code and is mac only yet) that means an iOS port might happen in the future. Also they seems to bring an FX version from the analog delay, reverb and saturation as plug-in and hopefully iOS as well. I have most of the big reverb plug-ins beeing 2CAudio and Breeze 2 my favorites but there is no plate reverb sounding as like this inside P900 for me as well.
    If it comes to iOS it is another step i could ditch my mac since StaffPad and Drumbo serves a lot other things i misses in iOS. Now add Logic for iOS and i can leave my mac maybe forever :)

• For reverbs and delays, I recommend taking a look at https://valhalladsp.com/

• edited February 2020

@rs2000 said:
    Yes. Totally agree with McD.

Before you purchase the Zenaud.io full version, make sure you really want to miss Logic Pro X.

I am looking for something more immediate for production.

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    This bundle has some great things and the price is nice. Think everything in there is available separately for about 8 dollars, highly recommend Iris 2, Trash and RX elements.

Great! Thanks for the sale tip!

@McD said:
    There's an EXS import/export capable sampler in Logic/Mainstage. It also has an auto-sampler
    feature set.

Does this mean if I purchase Mainstage I can use the sampler as an AU in zenaud.io or other hosts?

@Clueless said:
    P900 for me...

Seems cool...but the thought of wiring modular in the box does not seem like fun to me...i have a modular, looking for a real fast and dirty in the box experience.

@jipumarino said:
    For reverbs and delays, I recommend taking a look at https://valhalladsp.com/

Thanks I have the ValhallaDSP plugs and the SSL suite, just looking for a Standalone synth and a sampler.

• @Clueless said:
    Of course you will get a million answers. First....Logic Pro X, alone Alchemy is worth it :)
    But the very best sounding synth for these organic, analog, vintage, brassy and so on i ever heard and played (and that includes hardware) is P900 modular for me.
    Never heard such an organic sound from a subtractive synth, best filters, best delay, best reverb and (polyphonic) saturation i ever heard on any synth (and yes, also including synths from U-he, Synapse Audio, Native Instruments etc.)

Have you spent some time designing sounds in Model 15?

I saw that the (new) developers seems to port it to juice (i think it was built with X-code and is mac only yet) that means an iOS port might happen in the future. Also they seems to bring an FX version from the analog delay, reverb and saturation as plug-in and hopefully iOS as well. I have most of the big reverb plug-ins beeing 2CAudio and Breeze 2 my favorites but there is no plate reverb sounding as like this inside P900 for me as well.

Cool, seems like you've done some serious research.
    I thought about trying P900 myself but got too distracted by all the other synths 😅

If it comes to iOS it is another step i could ditch my mac since StaffPad and Drumbo serves a lot other things i misses in iOS.

Let's hope the best! That would certainly be an exciting new synth.

• I had a chance to play around with AUSampler in Zenaud.io. Although it does show the EXS conversion, I have yet to get it to work. I’m assuming it has a specific target for samples and instrument files I’m not adhering to...

• Just one small nit-pick: If a topic is not strictly about IOS music making you should tag the title with OT.
    Mainly because most of us consume the all categories flow and will read the title and decide if you want to be seduced by the great desktop software and it's 5-10x pricing models. I've been convinced to buy more desktop AU's than I care to admit to buy just reading about products like Valhallah Delay. I'm seriously trying to avoid PianoTeq's Piano products. Yet they have a version for Raspberry Pi's. That alone has given me strength. I love the Raspberry Pi hardware but that just means they could do an IOS port easily. Are we not customers? Is our money tainted in some way?

Carry on.

• @rs2000 said:

@Clueless said:
    Of course you will get a million answers. First....Logic Pro X, alone Alchemy is worth it :)

Have you spent some time designing sounds in Model 15?

Cool, seems like you've done some serious research.
    I thought about trying P900 myself but got too distracted by all the other synths 😅

If it comes to iOS it is another step i could ditch my mac since StaffPad and Drumbo serves a lot other things i misses in iOS.

Let's hope the best! That would certainly be an exciting new synth.

I love Model 15 on iOS and it is indeed the closest to compare with P900 since they share similar modeled modules (Model 15 has some missing in P900 and vice versa) but as much as i love Model 15, P900 is just way better in terms of the pure sound. Of course a personal flavor plays a big role but in general when i just judge the raw power of analog and organic sound it is P900 > Repro (U-he), Dagger (Beepstreet) > some other synths on par > Model D, Zeeon, Model 15, DRC >everything else. I guess Drumbo will fit at the top for iOS for me since it sounds really great form what i hear and it is a workhouse for so much things. I just like modulars.
    For more digital sounds and other unique stuff Alchemy, Sculpture and then whatever :)
    Indeed i think it is hard to find a synth today on mac or iOS which doesn´t sound good. Some still stands out but in general i guess most major DAWs come with enough to start. F.e. Obsidian inside NS2 is really wonderful. I was shocked how good it sound at such small cpu usage. And often 8X oversampled ZDF filters are not the most important thing :)

• @McD said:
    Just one small nit-pick: If a topic is not strictly about IOS music making you should tag the title with OT.
    Mainly because most of us consume the all categories flow and will read the title and decide if you want to be seduced by the great desktop software and it's 5-10x pricing models. I've been convinced to buy more desktop AU's than I care to admit to buy just reading about products like Valhallah Delay. I'm seriously trying to avoid PianoTeq's Piano products. Yet they have a version for Raspberry Pi's. That alone has given me strength. I love the Raspberry Pi hardware but that just means they could do an IOS port easily. Are we not customers? Is our money tainted in some way?

Carry on.

Just Wow....

• As mentioned by McD, Valhalla products.

Also on my list for someday, Waldorf Largo. Uh-e Diva.

That would keep me busy(busier) for awhile.

• Just Wow...

If you get a full on addiction to desktop products I pity you. You need to make money to justify shopping in that store.

If you use a few products it’s an ideal platform.

I’m addicted to shopping.

• edited February 2020

Instruments ? SERUM. Best sounding, most powerful synth on desktop. You can easily get any type of sound in superb top class quality from it. Infinite possibilities, infinite quality.

Btw. that's the synth used in majority of Youtube patch design tutorials :-)

• @McD said:

Just Wow...

If you get a full on addiction to desktop products I pity you. You need to make money to justify shopping in that store.

If you use a few products it’s an ideal platform.

I’m addicted to shopping.

I hear you...hardware is my monkey...hehehe...i’ve been at this a long time. I quit macOS and moved to iOS when Apple switched to Intel and no longer supported Logic my on my C2D MBP...my plan was to wait till ARM made it to MacOS but had to get a macOS system to run some new hardware not supported by class compliant drivers...

@dendy said:
    Instruments ? SERUM. Best sounding, most powerful synth on desktop. You can easily get any type of sound in superb top class quality from it. Infinite possibilities, infinite quality.

Awesome, I will check it out! Thanks

• edited February 2020

@nerVe said:
    Picked up a 2018 Mac mini. What audio unit synths/sampler should I get? I’m going to try Zenaud.io as my daw. Whats the best stuff out there((((((?))))))

V

If I was starting from the ground floor on desktop, I’d definitely recommend getting Wusik Station V9 for multi-layer synth/sampler duty when it’s on sale. For $10, it’s just a steal for all the sounds and capability get with this; Even the non-sale price is worth it, imo. (I also have Omnisphere 2 but still find V9 to be incredibly fun and useful)

I’d also recommend keeping an eye on Plugin Boutique, audioplugin.deals and audiopluginguy.com for sales. When I first got into mac production I was tempted to sign up for a lot of rent-to-own plans you see on places like splice—ended up getting Serum & Sylenth1 that way, but found that with a little patience waiting for sales, you can usually get the same top plugins for less than half of what you’d pay through a payment plan.

• Alchemy is the most powerful sampler I’ve seen in a bit...comes with main stage and Logic Pro
    Iris2 is rather fun
    Serum is a must
    Synthmaster is good

• edited February 2020

@MrSmileZ said:
    Alchemy is the most powerful sampler I’ve seen in a bit...comes with main stage and Logic Pro
    Iris2 is rather fun
    Serum is a must
    Synthmaster is good

Sounds great! Do you guys know if Alchemy will work in other AU hosts ?

• I really want a Super 6 polysynth ...🤯

• @nerVe said:
    Sounds great! Do you guys know if Alchemy will work in other AU hosts ?

Unfortunately no, they only work in LPX and MS

• McDMcD
    edited February 2020

@dendy said:
    Instruments ? SERUM.

SERUM will keep you very busy... I lost patience. But I tend to want music with recognizable
    instruments and not craft new sounds. Synth One with so many presets is something I might pay for. The IOS instances provide all the sounds too at a discount.

Check out IDAM (Inter-Device Audio and MIDI) which allows IOS devices (iphones, iPads) to send audio and MIDI over a USB cable. Any IOS synth app you own can be a IDI sound module (i.e. hardware device) to Logic or most OS X DAW's.

You can also use an USB bus so many IOS devices can be connected and controlled by the OS X DAW.

Very few here seem to use this amazing capability. But if we're OT and discussing OS X apps it should be mentioned early rather than later. Bluetooth MIDI is also worth considering. The latency for MIDI events is OK... not like the excessively buffered Bluetooth Audio which is only useful for playback to remote speakers/headphones but NOT live playing.

• edited February 2020

@dendy said:

Depends for which sounds. I find it pretty harsh and sterile mostly. The filters and included FX are not the best. I find even Obsidian better :)
    But indeed for precise digital sounds it might be a super great synth.
    It also comes with maybe the worst default presets.

• edited March 2020

I went with Izotope Iris2 for the time being. Zenaud.io is a bit buggy, but I hear Logic is also buggy on Catalina too...

• edited April 2020

I now using Logic Pro (it’s been years) I just don’t care much for the work flow. I’m really looking forward to going back to iOS when Loopy Masterpiece drops...I’ll miss the SSL suite and CPU power.

• I really like the Sinevibes products