Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Koala - the ultimate pocket-sized sampler

Comments

• @alecsbuga said:
    :)) users...
    You make a simple app focused on a simple quick workflow and they love it so much that they want timestretching, mixers, clip launching, VSTs :)))

Just kidding. I love the simplicity of it.

Seeing the love for Drambo, not sure, users love simplicity so much, they love great apps. Samplist is
    one of those great apps, though it could be even better when Auv3 :)))

• I think there’s scope for something being simple on the surface, with complexity that you can dive into, that’s hidden at first, but enablable. The only trouble with that is it can be self-sabotaging for the user, getting lost tweaking stuff.

Most of these features are pretty straightforward technically, I even have a pretty ok timestretch algorithm but I’m nervous about polluting the interface, and there’s no chance of redesigning the interface from scratch at this point.

Probably the safest thing to do would be to make another app. I’ve been thinking about this for a while, where I would make the “anti-koala” where everything is tweakable, pianorolls, sidechains, arpeggiators and midi-routing galore. Maybe I’ll call it bushfire.

This is all still up in the air. The next app I make is pretty set in stone now, but won’t start on it til I fix a few more koala things including koala android and an AUv3 of just the koala FX section

• LOL @ bushfire!

• @Jeezs said:

@alecsbuga said:
    You make a simple app focused on a simple quick workflow and they love it so much that they want timestretching, mixers, clip launching, VSTs :)))

Seeing the love for Drambo, not sure, users love simplicity so much, they love great apps. Samplist is
    one of those great apps, though it could be even better when Auv3 :)))

Thanks. I appreciate it.

• edited February 2020

@elf_audio said:
    I think there’s scope for something being simple on the surface, with complexity that you can dive into, that’s hidden at first, but enablable. The only trouble with that is it can be self-sabotaging for the user, getting lost tweaking stuff.

Most of these features are pretty straightforward technically, I even have a pretty ok timestretch algorithm but I’m nervous about polluting the interface, and there’s no chance of redesigning the interface from scratch at this point.

Probably the safest thing to do would be to make another app. I’ve been thinking about this for a while, where I would make the “anti-koala” where everything is tweakable, pianorolls, sidechains, arpeggiators and midi-routing galore. Maybe I’ll call it bushfire.

This is all still up in the air. The next app I make is pretty set in stone now, but won’t start on it til I fix a few more koala things including koala android and an AUv3 of just the koala FX section

@elf_audio koala has so much potential. Please don’t leave it just yet. A few tweaks here & there like multi stem export , pad mute solo , record count in & choke groups. Not much else . Hope alls well. :) on a sidenote - using Koala as an IAA in Bm3 - when I do a project export the audio from koala is very distorted. Iam using same sample rate for bm3 & koala 48000. Will try some other DAWS bit later.

• @stormbeats don’t worry I will keep developing koala for a long time yet! It’s gotten extremely popular in Japan so it’s kind of made the whole project worthwhile, and I use Koala a lot too myself so I’ve got several reasons to make it a lot better! I do want to start something in parallel though, which might share a bunch of concepts and functionality with koala, just a bit more fun and with some really interesting synth/sampling/granular combo maybe. Still thinking...

• @stormbeats said:

@elf_audio said:
    I think there’s scope for something being simple on the surface, with complexity that you can dive into, that’s hidden at first, but enablable. The only trouble with that is it can be self-sabotaging for the user, getting lost tweaking stuff.

@elf_audio koala has so much potential. Please don’t leave it just yet. A few tweaks here & there like multi stem export , pad mute solo , record count in & choke groups. Not much else . Hope alls well. :) on a sidenote - using Koala as an IAA in Bm3 - when I do a project export the audio from koala is very distorted. Iam using same sample rate for bm3 & koala 48000. Will try some other DAWS bit later.

Yeea.. I think it’s right, just a few tweaks.. but where’s the timestretch? Lol
    But whatever @elf_audio ,I’ll get happy if I can download or update for these options for now.. 🍾

• Can I ask how you all imagine timestretch would present itself in koala and what sort of use cases it’s needed for? I can really see a use for loops, but koala isn’t really made for loops. Maybe a lot of people are using it for loops but I haven’t seen a lot of that.

• Still super-happy with Koala as it is, but since everybody are doing feature requests, heres another: Song mode! A new screen with a grid of sequences; drag sequences into the song grid to add a loop to a song; drag them out to remove them; change the number of repeats of the loops with buttons; jump to a loop by tapping it... I made a picture:

@elf_audio said:
    Can I ask how you all imagine timestretch would present itself in koala and what sort of use cases it’s needed for?

For me: For playing samples using the keyboard over a larger octave range. I guess it would have to be a 'feature' of the sample like 'one-shot' and 'loop'.

@elf_audio said:

or "Lumpur"?

• @JudasZimmerman @elf_audio Excellent Song mode suggestion Judas as well as reasons for timestretch. Personally for me if can get more snap on all the dial knobs. Volume etc. As it stands it very fiddly to set levels and pan.
    @elf_audio if we can get these few tweaks sorted before some of my many suggestions. No rush for too many additions just the fundamentals. Excuse me if I have made a lot of suggestions recently but I been using Koala so much now cos its the best.

• @elf_audio I still think this thing needs at least one choke layer. Really hard to do hip hop sample chopping without it.

• @elf_audio said:
    Can I ask how you all imagine timestretch would present itself in koala and what sort of use cases it’s needed for? I can really see a use for loops, but koala isn’t really made for loops. Maybe a lot of people are using it for loops but I haven’t seen a lot of that.

I don’t know how to say, may they are just frustrated with music app like me and now they found the koala sampler with @elf_audio where have a good future lol.
    well for me off course for loops to make a beats on koala sampler??. And it will be nice workflow. I will don’t need open my bm2 to timestretch or chopping. I think just like mpc/ Sp workflow and functions.

Looks for my problem with my music app where I have on iPhone;

1. Bm2 ; it’s too old but functional and not supported for auv3 plugins.
    2. Gb ; i like this for stability with.. and don’t have the timestretch etc. May it’s good for real musicians and not for like me 😅
    3. Ns2 ; It’s just good for midi, all about midi. And don’t have the audio track?? It’s like GB combined with Bm2 where you can put your drum on the slate or pads. But not for timestretch like on Bm2. What?
    4. Cubasis3 For now it’s just trash for me. I can’t work with it just too buggy. And I can’t put my own drum. I don’t know what the developer’s want or think about., I think the features better then Ns2. They just win with audio track and complete with timestretch option. I really frustrated for this, look at the price bruh!

i know my problem is want to make a beat Just on my old iPhone. And don’t have the ipad or pc. But i like tweaking on iPhone, is it future right?

@bcrichards said:
    @elf_audio I still think this thing needs at least one choke layer. Really hard to do hip hop sample chopping without it.

UP ☝🏼

• If this had individual stem exporting I think this would be the only app I would ever need for creating. Timestretch would be pretty cool to open up options for chopping and choke groups would really tie it all together

• Has the developer ever signalled that automatic recording with a threshold would make it into the app?

And failing that, can I control recording via midi CC?

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    If this had individual stem exporting I think this would be the only app I would ever need for creating. Timestretch would be pretty cool to open up options for chopping and choke groups would really tie it all together

+1 for stems, but just in case anyone is on the fence for just that reason: It is possible to export stems manually; it's just a bit fiddly.

• edited February 2020

@JudasZimmerman said:

@JackDwyerburger said:
    If this had individual stem exporting I think this would be the only app I would ever need for creating. Timestretch would be pretty cool to open up options for chopping and choke groups would really tie it all together

+1 for stems, but just in case anyone is on the fence for just that reason: It is possible to export stems manually; it's just a bit fiddly.

@JudasZimmerman export stems manually? I think the only way to do that is record to another pad (resample) which then would create a stem. That would also be an easy option if we had pad solo&mutes then use Export Song. The only other way is to create duplicate sequences and then clear pads & leave the one for stem then use Export Song. That is a nightmare though.

• edited February 2020

@SimonSomeone said:
    Has the developer ever signalled that automatic recording with a threshold would make it into the app?

@SimonSomeone @elf_audio brilliant idea threshold recording as an option in settings

• @stormbeats said:
    @JudasZimmerman export stems manually? I think the only way to do that is record to another pad (resample) which then would create a stem. That would also be an easy option if we had pad solo&mutes then use Export Song. The only other way is to create duplicate sequences and then clear pads & leave the one for stem then use Export Song. That is a nightmare though.

I do the last bit, essentially. Make one big sequence, delete all the others, copy the «full song» sequence to as many stems you need, then edit each one clearing the pads that don’t belong. It’s actually not that bad, relatively speaking, but of course it doesn’t work on performances, so you lose the effects section and so forth.

• @JudasZimmerman i attempted the same for stems but gave up when i get to pad 3. & had another 15 sounds to do. You have good patience. :)

• @stormbeats said:
    @JudasZimmerman i attempted the same for stems but gave up when i get to pad 3. & had another 15 sounds to do. You have good patience. :)

Right, that sounds a bit nightmareish. No, I just cheat - I group similar sounds together so I end up with like 6-8 «stems» - like kicks, other drums, bass, leads, pads, other stuff. Things I want to process the same way end up in the same bucket. But yeah, its not perfect.

• @SimonSomeone said:
    Has the developer ever signalled that automatic recording with a threshold would make it into the app?

I think midi notes can be used to trigger recording of blank pads, and to play pads already filled with audio.

The midi notes are all chromatic in sequence with the pads. (Starting octave can be changed in settings.)

Obviously this isn’t CC and you maybe already knew this. Sharing just in case you didn’t. :)

• @elf_audio still would love to see a way to loop longer samples without messing around trying to record a one shot on beat 1

• @elf_audio said:

An auv3 of just the FX section would be amazing! The primary reason I wanted auv3 for Koala was for any easier way to record the Fx onto a loop. This way I can use Koala as my playground; then if something worth taking further comes up, I can export the loops to AUM and record them with Koala AUV3 effects shenanigans into my daw for further work!

I like the way you think Mr. Elf!

• @elf_audio my Projects when loading are not listed in alphabetical order. Can you possibly fix this - its like this on my iphone & ipad. Makes it bit tricky to locate a project to load.

• @alecsbuga said:

We are relentless! It is the nature of it.

I guess developers just need to know when to say ‘done!’.

• edited March 2020

@elf_audio could you add a Bypass on/off or Hold On/Off that retains Performance Fx settings. Easier for retaining settings when resampling without effects so the resample is not affected by performance fx set during playmode. Hold is good but toggling Hold you loose fx settings. :)
    Also really need pad mute & solos

• @elf_audio a minor bug with Filter slider in Performance screen. The slider going downwards or upwards does not allow to set to a much smaller setting unlike the other sliders.
    Also would it be possible to add a Convert Stereo sample to mono. Maybe a Monoizer button in the Fx sextion.
    Also one other small bug - when resampling long samples the new samples start point is far within the right of the sample Nothing major but letting you know. Hope your still active with what could be the best sampler on iOS .

• Yo, koala sampler is out for android now and it’s working nicely on my LG phone.

• Man, this app is sooooooooo much fun I can hardly put my phone down, haven messed with bm3 on my iPad since he dropped this on android, I’m loving the simplicity, plus resampling my loops is what’s up, using the pitch and the wobble effect on the master and resampling as a new loop is soooooo fun.