Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wired Ethernet + Ableton Link on iOS?

Is there anyway to use an iOS device (I'm using an iPhone) connected via wired Ethernet with Ableton Link (on a MacBook Pro)? I can get Ethernet working using an Ethernet adapter but none of the adapters I have seen/tried support data transfer (Lightning ports only carry power) and Ethernet simultaneously so I'm not able to get my iPhone to show up as an audio input in 'Audio MIDI Setup'. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Comments

• edited February 2020

Try a search, this has been discussed already.
    Ethernet has nothing to do with audio, LINK is a UDP protocol for relative timeline synchronization.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

In theory Link should work, over ethernet according to Ableton’s documentation. I have long been tempted to get something like this and try it out. https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Adapter-FOINNEX-Charging-Interface/dp/B07DPLLLNT/ref=pd_cp_147_2/141-4202659-2917712

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

Good thread here:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/16924/2-ways-to-connect-ethernet-to-iphone-and-ipad-tutorial-haq-attaq-198

Actually, just type “Ethernet” into the forum search and you’ll get several threads. None of them are particularly conclusive though. I’m love to hear if you have any success getting that to work.

• Sorry, I did try searching but the threads were from a feed years back so I thought there might be some new information.

I was hoping to use An Ethernet connection because I find that the timing of the app I use (Quantum Sequencer) changes depending on the quality of my WiFi connection. So I would like to use a wired connection if possible.

And sorry if my mention of audio was confusing. It was in reference to Live needing to see my iPhone as an “Enabled” ‘audio input’ in OS X’s utility app called “Audio MIDI Setup” to be recognized as a routing option in Live as well as allowing me to use Link with my iPhone. Perhaps there is another way to do this (if so I would love to know), but this is how I have been using Link and it requires that I connect via a Lighting cable. But when I use the Ethernet adapter the Lightning port only provides power (not sync data). Hope that makes sense.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

Hey, no problem. B)
    All those threads are old, and aren’t really conclusive about results anyway. The adaptor I linked to on amazon claims to supply charging power and Ethernet. I don’t know how accurate that is since I haven’t tried it.

• I have tried this Belkin one:
    https://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F8J227/

And this off-brand one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Compatible-HkittyXiong/dp/B07DPNFHSN

Both provide an Ethernet connection and power. But I haven’t been able to get my MacBook to recognize my iPhone as an ‘audio input’ in the Audio MIDI Setup app. The Belkin one states that it’s Lightning port only provides power so that isn’t surprising, but the other one has a USB port and states it can transfer data but I have not had any success doing so.

• That adapter you linked to looks promising! I have found that sometimes one brand works while another doesn’t so it might be worth a shot.

So in theory, it is possible to have Ethernet data and sync data running through one lighting connector?

• @morbank said:
    That adapter you linked to looks promising! I have found that sometimes one brand works while another doesn’t so it might be worth a shot.

So in theory, it is possible to have Ethernet data and sync data running through one lighting connector?

Yes, Ethernet data is used for LINK syncing, it's one and the same thing.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

Ableton Link should work over Ethernet, as @rs2000 says. If Link sync is all you need then you shouldn’t need to do anything. You shouldn’t need the Mac to recognize the iOS device as an audio or midi input. Link is just one of those protocols that exists without any need for endpoint connections like MIDI does. Just as it works over wifi automagically, so it should over a wired Ethernet connection.

If you need to pass MIDI data such as notes and controllers, or MIDI Clock, or audio, that’s a different story. You can use the Network Session for midi connections. Some apps can work over Network Session, some can’t and need an intermediary such as MidiFire to do that.

Sorry, it’s not clear to me exactly what you need to do. But it sounds as if you want more than just for Link to work. I think Network Session is the route you need for that. Link however should just work.

Sorry, not a Mac person, so I’m not much help here.

• Ah, one thing that's important to mention: Unless your Mac is set up to be a DHCP server, you might have to set up both ethernet ports manually to make them "see each other".
    Example:
    1: iPad Ethernet IPv4 address 10.1.1.1, netmask 255.255.255.0
    2: Mac Ethernet IPv4 address 10.1.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0

• edited February 2020

@morbank
    I use an Ethernet / 3 port USB hub connected via the CCK3 adapter. I have attached an Ethernet cable directly between an iPad and a laptop without being on a network and the Link protocol worked without any issues. I haven’t investigated it fully, but it doesn’t need to have a central DHCP server to work. This is probably because the self assigned addresses are enough for this operation.

You won’t be able to use the iPad as an audio device in the Mac with IDAM while using the lightning connection for Ethernet duties as the IDAM process requires the full commitment of the lightning adapter. I tried connecting via IDAM once while having the CCK3 adapter plugged in and it won’t play ball.

So if you want to use IDAM you’d have to use WiFi for your network source for Ableton link then you can use the lightning port for IDAM.

I have been experimenting with using MTC over that IDAM link, but although the MIDI sync has been tight the audio seems to suffer. I’ve tried it with Auria Pro, AUM and Korg Electribe Wave and the audio from all of these has suffered considerably. I haven’t found the answer to that, but sending MIDI info for notes etc is fine.

I hope this helps.

VJ

• Thanks all for the detailed information. Sorry again if my description wasn’t clear, IDAM is the what I was trying to describe, I just didn’t know that’s what it was called. So as stated, you can’t have Ethernet and IDAM at the same time, which ultimately answers my original question. I don’t need audio, just MIDI and sync so perhaps “ Network Session” might be a possibility? I will look into it. Thanks again.

• edited February 2020

@morbank said:
    I don’t need audio, just MIDI and sync so perhaps “ Network Session” might be a possibility?

Depends. MIDI clock sync can go over IDAM, Ableton Link requires a network connection.
    You can always set up a local WiFi network on your Mac by choosing "Create Network" and connecting your iPhone to it, even without a WiFi router.

• edited February 2020

IDAM is a direct audio and midi connection between iOS and Mac. Someone can tell me if I’m wrong, but as fas as I know it only works with a single direct lightning cable between the iPad and the Mac. The Mac is the host and the iOS device is the peripheral. Audio and MIDI can go both ways, but you can’t have other peripherals connected to the iPad. They have to be hosted by the Mac.

Ethernet on iOS is a completely separate option, it can be used for network MIDI (but not audio). Last I checked, it worked for Ableton Link also.
    The benefit of this option is that the iOS device can be the host, which means if you are using a USB hub you can connect an audio interface, MIDI controllers, etc, along with an ethernet to USB adapter.
    Only caution here is to make sure your USB hub is providing enough power to all the peripherals. Also this type of setup becomes a dongle-fest, which can be totally worth it... or not if you already have a Mac in your setup that is able to host all your MIDI devices

• @Hmtx said:
    Ethernet on iOS is a completely separate option, it can be used for network MIDI (but not audio). Last I checked, it worked for Ableton Link also.

I’m only using MIDI with the iOS app I am using so this sounds like network MIDI might work for me. However, this Ableton article on setting up a network MIDI connection ( https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071169-How-to-setup-a-virtual-MIDI-network ) mentions “Note: If you're syncing Live (or Link-enabled apps) across multiple computers, we recommend Link instead”. I’ll give it a try anyways, but that makes it sound like it’s one or the other.

• I followed the instructions from Ableton's Virtual MIDI Network article and downloaded Oscar Bouwmans MIDI Network app and my MacBook and iPhone seem to recognize each other, but the iPhone app I use (Quantum Sequencer) does not show any options for inputs sources or output destinations. Do I need to use iPhone apps that allow Virtual MIDI Networks, or should I be seeing a inputs source and output destination options in Quantum automatically? Also, in Audio MIDI Setup's "MIDI Network Setup" window do I need to set the routings to something specific (see below)?

• sounds like you want to use ableton link over wifi for tempo sync and transport and IDAM for midi between phone and mac. works very well.

• @wellingtonCres said:
    sounds like you want to use ableton link over wifi for tempo sync and transport and IDAM for midi between phone and mac. works very well.

That’s what I was using. And yes, it was working well as long as my WiFi signal speed is consistently high. But unfortunately my studio does not get a consistent signal which is why I was hoping to use Ethernet.

• another solution might be to set up a wifi hotspot on the mac, carefully choosing the freq and channel to be conflict free, and then join that with the iphone.

• Thanks wellingtonCres, I’ll look into that.

... In the meantime, Hmtx if you have any other info on using network MIDI between my MacBook and an iPhone app please let me know.

• For Network Session, you don’t set specific destinations. You set both one end to send to Network Session, and one end to listen to it.

HOWEVER, most iOS apps don’t work with Network Session, even though they list it. For those you need to use a bridge app. One that I know works is MidiFire. You set the iOS app to send to MidiFire, then set the output of MidiFire to Network Session.

I’m going from memory here, and my trials were iOS to iOS, not to a Mac. Hopefully I’m not just spreading confusion.

• Thanks wim! I’ve now got Network MIDI connection working between my iOS app and my MacBook via MIDIFire.

Ableton Link does indeed work (as Hmtx said it would) but I found the timing to be all over the place so I am now trying to get MIDI Clock Working...

• Never mind, Link is working. I didn’t realize that the app and Live had two different tempos.

It looks like this is working!

• One issue I’m having with Network MIDI that I wasn’t having with IDAM is when I send multiple, simultaneous MIDI events from Quantum (iOS app) I now get lots of stuttering and Unwanted note triggers. Specifically, with Quantum’s sequencer playing, when I link all 16 step faders (which are assigned to velocity) and move them (they are linked so they move simultaneously) I am hearing multiple note triggers, even tho the sequencers play head should only be getting one note trigger. Additionally, the timing gets loose while moving the faders. I wasn’t having either of these issues when I was using IDAM. Anyone have any idea why this is happening or what I might do to make it stop?

• Found the problem. The sample buffer in Live was set to high. Getting super tight timing now :)

Thanks all for the help!

• edited September 2021

I have this idea to connect my mpc one with my ipad via ethernet but it seems not that easy to find a hub for my ipad that has ethernet AND a headphone jack.Any recommendations that is compatible with ipad?

And did anyone ever tried a connection like this (without computer involved)?

• @Crabman said:
    I have this idea to connect my mpc one with my ipad via ethernet but it seems not that easy to find a hub for my ipad that has ethernet AND a headphone jack.Any recommendations that is compatible with ipad?

And did anyone ever tried a connection like this (without computer involved)?

If you're not using an audio interface, you can use a USB DAC in your hub for phones. There are many to choose from.

Why not use USB for the MPC? Ah, I see. Link is only over ethernet or WiFi.

• i see…so,it means i also could just connect an interface to the hub (i still have a class compliant one lying around).

• update: i got my hub and directly connected ipad to MPC via ethernet and it works great! No setup necessary.Just connected and activated link.It works good with gadget without any other app involved but even better with midi link sync involved cause of the latency compensation slider.Without midi link sync i have to shift the events in MPC a little.Rock solid timing!

Actually,i tried two different hubs and surprisingly the cheaper one works better.The one from anker lost contact to the power adapter once without even touching anything.I connected an audio interface and a korg nanokey as well,no problem.

• Hi @Crabman - with Quantum you might check make sure Network Sessions are enabled, which is in the Settings app (not the in-app settings). Another option is to use the Internet Sharing option on your MacBook Pro, which would give you a wired interface with the iPad without the need for an adapter, but rather just using the Lightning to USB to connect. Link & MIDI connections and IDAM all work fine with the internet sharing option.