Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Please try the beta version of our upcoming Chorus plugin: "Chorus D"

Hi, we have a chorus plugin inspired by a well-known chorus pedal / rack unit. It's not a circuit-clone of the original but rather we studied the original design and then came up with our own variation on it. I would appreciate if some members of this forum would install it and give us feedback before we release. We think the plugin is already 99% percent complete. But we just want to do a little pre-release testing with a larger group like this to ensure that it's really solid when it hits the App Store, probably next week.

Here is the test flight link:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/9NCruNvN

P.S. For those who are wondering about gainstage, our amp sim plugin, we are still working on it. We have more four developers working simultaneously on several different projects.

Comments

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    Hi, we have a chorus plugin inspired by a well-known chorus pedal / rack unit. It's not a circuit-clone of the original but rather we studied the original design and then came up with our own variation on it. I would appreciate if some members of this forum would install it and give us feedback before we release. We think the plugin is already 99% percent complete. But we just want to do a little pre-release testing with a larger group like this to ensure that it's really solid when it hits the App Store, probably next week.

P.S. For those who are wondering about gainstage, our amp sim plugin, we are still working on it. We have more four developers working simultaneously on several different projects.

No chance of iOS 12 support?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

+1 on the IOS 12

• edited February 2020

@cloudswimmer

@espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Yes. Thank you for reminding me. I'll ask the dev to put iOS 12 support in the next beta version.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    @cloudswimmer

@espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Yes. Thank you for reminding me. I'll ask the dev to put iOS 12 support in the next beta version.

Thanks!

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    @cloudswimmer

@espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Thanks! I just put it on my IOS 13 pad .. but use my IOS 12 pad much more these days. I have the real thing so this will be interesting. Will play with it later tonight. Thanks again 👍

• edited February 2020

@cloudswimmer said:
    Thanks! I just put it on my IOS 13 pad .. but use my IOS 12 pad much more these days. I have the real thing so this will be interesting. Will play with it later tonight. Thanks again 👍

You have the real thing? I would very much like to hear your input on it.

I will be ok with this plugin sounding slightly different from the original. But I am hoping that it will be different in a nice way. If you feel that the differences detract from the sound quality then I hope we can respond by making improvements.

• edited February 2020

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    @cloudswimmer

@espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Great, thanks! I'd love to check it out too.

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@cloudswimmer said:

You have the real thing? I would very much like to hear your input on it.

I will be ok with this plugin sounding slightly different from the original. But I am hoping that it will be different in a nice way. If you feel that the differences detract from the sound quality then I hope we can respond by making improvements.

Many years ago I did a carbon copy of my Dimension C pedal on the Nord Modular (I still have the latter :) ) and from what I remember, after understanding how the original circuit works, a number of critical factors were necessary to get the sound right:

• Finding the delay time that works best
    • High-pass filtering the input to the effect path so that the bass range does not become too wobbly (I have an adjustable steepness and crossover frequency)
    • Adding an adjustable amount of the inverted, opposite effect path channels to each side (FX Left plus e.g. 50% inverted FX right and the same for the other channel).
    • Finally mixing the original and the effect audio path.
  • Any comments from people who have had a chance to try it?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    Any comments from people who have had a chance to try it?

Hi Blue, yeah I tried it with a KQ Dixie DX7 tine piano today .. that is the combination I used back in the late 80’s when I worked clubs (DX7 and Dimension D) It’s not bad .. kinda subtle on those first few buttons .. just like my real one. My real one only has 4 buttons .. and I always used the third one from the left. Yours gets ‘wetter’ (more chorusy) on those last two buttons .. not something I personally would use, but others might. I like the first button best on yours .. very subtle .. but nice. I like the simplistic graphic and colors you’ve chosen. I will try it on some other instruments in the next day or so. I only spent a couple minutes with it today .. but so far I like it. Btw I see you are the distributor for Embertone, I dig the Shire Whistle .. but after the update a couple months ago it’s still WAY too low in volume .. unusably low for me. Perhaps if you get a chance could you let someone know over there at Embertone .. Thanks. Will report back again after I have more time with the Chorus. Thanks for letting us test it out 👍

• edited February 2020

I don't own a Dimension D, but the new chorus sounds good, I'll definitely use it.

I'm not sure, maybe it's a RAM issue because I've definitely encountered it once or twice before with other apps...but both times I've used Chorus D today, I've had it make a loud pop upon being loaded to a synth track, and then all of the audio also became distorted, only when it was activated in AUM. I exited it and reloaded it a few times, exited AUM and reloaded it also, and at some point, the soundcard crashed or whatever, and I had to reset the iPad. I'm guessing that certain apps can cause iOS' sound-related code to crash when a lot of apps are backgrounded and have been recently open, but I wouldn't know. This did happen when it was the only effect loaded onto one synth in AUM, both times, and I'm usually able to switch between Chrome, YouTube, and AUM without encountering any problems, so it's worth mentioning. This happened a few minutes ago on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 inch 256 GB, and earlier today, on my iPad Mini 4 128 GB.

Also, it would be nice to have an integrated gain knob, because it does add about 7 decibels.

• @Skyblazer said:
    I don't own a Dimension D, but the new chorus sounds good, I'll definitely use it.

I'm not sure, maybe it's a RAM issue because I've definitely encountered it once or twice before with other apps...but both times I've used Chorus D today, I've had it make a loud pop upon being loaded to a synth track, and then all of the audio also became distorted, only when it was activated in AUM. I exited it and reloaded it a few times, exited AUM and reloaded it also, and at some point, the soundcard crashed or whatever, and I had to reset the iPad. I'm guessing that certain apps can cause iOS' sound-related code to crash when a lot of apps are backgrounded and have been recently open, but I wouldn't know. This did happen when it was the only effect loaded onto one synth in AUM, both times, and I'm usually able to switch between Chrome, YouTube, and AUM without encountering any problems, so it's worth mentioning. This happened a few minutes ago on my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 inch 256 GB, and earlier today, on my iPad Mini 4 128 GB.

Also, it would be nice to have an integrated gain knob, because it does add about 7 decibels.

Thanks. I’ll look into this. I think I know why the gain is high. We will make it output at unity gain instead of adding the gain knob.

• @cloudswimmer said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Hi Blue, yeah I tried it with a KQ Dixie DX7 tine piano today .. that is the combination I used back in the late 80’s when I worked clubs (DX7 and Dimension D) It’s not bad .. kinda subtle on those first few buttons .. just like my real one. My real one only has 4 buttons .. and I always used the third one from the left. Yours gets ‘wetter’ (more chorusy) on those last two buttons .. not something I personally would use, but others might. I like the first button best on yours .. very subtle .. but nice. I like the simplistic graphic and colors you’ve chosen. I will try it on some other instruments in the next day or so. I only spent a couple minutes with it today .. but so far I like it. Btw I see you are the distributor for Embertone, I dig the Shire Whistle .. but after the update a couple months ago it’s still WAY too low in volume .. unusably low for me. Perhaps if you get a chance could you let someone know over there at Embertone .. Thanks. Will report back again after I have more time with the Chorus. Thanks for letting us test it out 👍

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think it would help if we shifted the settings to the right, so cut out one of the wettest presets and add another more subtle one on the left?

• edited February 2020

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think it would help if we shifted the settings to the right, so cut out one of the wettest presets and add another more subtle one on the left?

Hmmm .. an even more subtle preset might be a little too subtle. Let me play with it again and get back to you on that Blue. ✌️

• It’s definitely subtle 😁

• @Krupa said:
    It’s definitely subtle 😁

+1

• I used it a little bit on the Moog D synth app tonight, sounded good .. not as rich as running my real Minimoog through my real Dimension D .. but close enough for government work 😎

• @cloudswimmer said:
    I used it a little bit on the Moog D synth app tonight, sounded good .. not as rich as running my real Minimoog through my real Dimension D .. but close enough for government work 😎

That sounds good. I wonder if there's anything we can do to make it richer. I guess the way to test that would be to compare the real Minimoog through the Chorus D plugin to the real Minimoog through the real Dimension C.

• We released an update today. It should fix some of the problems with no sound coming out.

• @rs2000 @espiegel123 @cloudswimmer

I believe the latest version on TestFlight has iOS 12 support.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    We released an update today. It should fix some of the problems with no sound coming out.

So far so good, no audio glitches, and I see that the gain's been adjusted as well.

• Yes! Ios12 support

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    @rs2000 @espiegel123 @cloudswimmer

Works without a problem for me in iOS 12.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Works without a problem for me in iOS 12.

Perfect. Thank you for testing!

• edited February 2020

Works flawlessly on my pro 9.7, but honestly it doesn’t impress me as much as other apps from you. I find it very limited and a little too tiny. Just my 2 cents, obviously

• Working flawlessly here.

The increase in gain is much appreciated.

Sounding good on strings right now.

Thank you.

• @Faland said:
    Works flawlessly on my pro 9.7, but honestly it doesn’t impress me as much as other apps from you. I find it very limited and a little too tiny. Just my 2 cents, obviously

+1

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

Any chance to do the same with your Noise Gate?

• @tja said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Any chance to do the same with your Noise Gate?

Probably not, that one is too long out of the gate already.

I am really enjoying the way it works out to release public betas like we are doing now, before releasing a new app. In the future I plan to do this for every app and always support the latest 2 iOS versions with every new release. But to retroactively go back and add support for old apps would be problematic. It was a mistake not to do it like from the start but I don't want to go back and add backward-compatibility because it will throw us off schedule for other projects.

• @tja said:

@Faland said:

+1

The original only had four buttons. I thought about expanding on that by adding a wet/dry control and some other stuff but I feel like that is an effort to make the app look more substantial without significantly improving its actual value as a music-making tool. It also breaks from the ultra-simple style of the original, which was quite revolutionary.

In the past year I have been trying to steer our company toward simpler apps with the highest quality audio processing. I don't want to fall into the trap of feeling like every app has to have a complicated user interface in order to be worth the price of the sale.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@tja said:

@Faland said:

+1

The original only had four buttons. I thought about expanding on that by adding a wet/dry control and some other stuff but I feel like that is an effort to make the app look more substantial without significantly improving its actual value as a music-making tool. It also breaks from the ultra-simple style of the original, which was quite revolutionary.

In the past year I have been trying to steer our company toward simpler apps with the highest quality audio processing. I don't want to fall into the trap of feeling like every app has to have a complicated user interface in order to be worth the price of the sale.

Hi @Blue_Mangoo I own most of your apps and love them, I don't say this is too simple and I know that Dimension Chorus has only 4 buttons. What I said is that this is not on the same level in terms of sound quality, compared to your other apps, and forgive me, compared to other chorus effects on the appstore, without offense, but it is what I think and say it with great respect that I have for you as dev. You can make an app with even a single button, but it must sound very good. Cheers.