Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jamm Pro by Ninja Tune / Coldcut

Comments

• @ahallam said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Is this a posh Launchpad or am I completely off base?

This looks like it’s eating Launchpad‘s lunch

hah looks like a messy version of LP

• if this isn’t posted yet here is a good over view.
    i’m in the fence, not cuz the app but cuz of my sampling skills haha

• I had some fun with one of the included sets late last night by slowing it right down and then using the fft playback instead of beats on pretty much everything. It seemed to really work well like that with nice long harmonic bits stretched out, and then doubling the rhythmic sections pace - it'd be good to have a bit more control over how slow/fast things go and I can't figure out it's it's possible to change the number of bars it thinks a loop is.

• @supadom said:
    Can this at all be used for the on the fly live operation?

As in...

You open this thing within a host with audio sources routed into it and have a jam without the need to stop the transport and adjust loops etc?

Looks like it...

• @reasOne said:
    if this isn’t posted yet here is a good over view.
    i’m in the fence, not cuz the app but cuz of my sampling skills haha

It made me wonder. Does it have other sync options apart from Link?

• @no1normal said:

@supadom said:

As in...

You open this thing within a host with audio sources routed into it and have a jam without the need to stop the transport and adjust loops etc?

Looks like it...

@no1normal said:

@supadom said:

As in...

Looks like it...

Cheers man, watched. As it is that brought another question: does it resample to pads?

• edited February 2020

I’ve not bought it yet but I’m getting close... midi mapping, sampling via IAA, loads of snapshots. Does look great for performance and quick loop grabbing.
    Haven’t seen anything yet on sync options other than link or resampling to pads.

• @zeropoint said:
    Don’t think you’ll be disappointed....

Can you midi map the monitor in button?
    Both videos I’ve seen when sampling in from AUM show both sources are still audible when a loop finishes recording (from AUM and JAMM) so you get phasing until you turn off monitor in.
    Just wondering if there’s a way to avoid that, (would be ideal if the recorded clip in JAMM chokes the monitor input).

I suppose even if I map the monitor in button I’d have to be pretty quick and time it perfectly to avoid the doubling...

• I’m not sure just how relaxed I’d be trying to use this in front of an audience. It’sa lot of fun but maybe my old iPad Pro isn’t up to it working as cleanly as I’d like - one of the team mentions that because of the PDpro base of the code, things like disk operations can cause stutters and pauses etc. I wonder how much more juice they can squeeze out of the system as they continue to develop it?

• edited February 2020

@AudioGus said:
    @MonzoPro your app awaits.

I do really like the look of this, it’d be an instabuy if I had a faster iPad...

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

Ps. Where are u?

He's in Wales counting the sheep (and there are many).

I’m back indoors, Storm Dennis is blowing up their skirts and making them edgy this morning. I keep losing my place.

Anyone: is this app usable on an Air 2? Even if I can just run it standalone, and import a few samples, that’d be enough.

• edited February 2020

Hard to say @MonzoPro , I'm having fun with it on my old Pro but I'm not sure what's causing it to feel a bit hazard; my sounds (and how far I stretch them), the iPad, the software - I think some of it is in the saving/disk access stuff they mention, some in the stretching I've been putting samples through...fft for the win by the way, even on drums I think.

It is really good fun but as I said earlier, I probably wouldn't personally (right now) feel safe gigging with it but might be happy doing some stem creation with it, and as an idea scratchpad it's pretty good fun. It's really easy to make stuff that sounds coldcutty as it definitely leans towards the sort of things they've always done, so a way to make that aspect more your own would be nice, but then again, I can't say I've properly figured out the 'coldcutter' section beyond the most elementary monkey fingering of the setups they've created...

And Dennis is hitting here now too (Calderdale), hope the town stays safe after last weekend 🤞

• edited February 2020

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

I do really like the look of this, it’d be an instabuy if I had a faster iPad...

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

Ps. Where are u?

I’m back indoors, Storm Dennis is blowing up their skirts and making them edgy this morning. I keep losing my place.

Anyone: is this app usable on an Air 2? Even if I can just run it standalone, and import a few samples, that’d be enough.

I think it will depend whether the app is cpu or ram intensive. If the former you’ll likely be ok if the latter it might be tricky. It will also depend how many loops and effects you get going. Piece of string.

Good luck with Den.

• @no1normal said:

@zeropoint said:
    Don’t think you’ll be disappointed....

Can you midi map the monitor in button?

Not at the moment, no.

Yeah, the option to choke the monitor would be the way to go....

Or the provision of a cue output with monitor to cue only option maybe ...

• edited February 2020

@Krupa said:
    Hard to say @MonzoPro , I'm having fun with it on my old Pro but I'm not sure what's causing it to feel a bit hazard; my sounds (and how far I stretch them), the iPad, the software - I think some of it is in the saving/disk access stuff they mention, some in the stretching I've been putting samples through...fft for the win by the way, even on drums I think.

It is really good fun but as I said earlier, I probably wouldn't personally (right now) feel safe gigging with it but might be happy doing some stem creation with it, and as an idea scratchpad it's pretty good fun. It's really easy to make stuff that sounds coldcutty as it definitely leans towards the sort of things they've always done, so a way to make that aspect more your own would be nice, but then again, I can't say I've properly figured out the 'coldcutter' section beyond the most elementary monkey fingering of the setups they've created...

And Dennis is hitting here now too (Calderdale), hope the town stays safe after last weekend 🤞

Thanks for the feedback, if your Pro is struggling, I guess my Air 2 will too. Unless anyone with an Air 2 comments it’s unusable, I might give it a go. Just looks like my cup of tea.

You’re right in the thick of it there, hope it’s not as bad as predicted. Very floody here in Mid Wales too. Fortunately we’re on a hill, but worried about the winds battering our old roof again.

@supadom said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AudioGus said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@AudioGus said:

Ps. Where are u?

I think it will depend whether the app is cpu or ram intensive. If the former you’ll likely be ok if the latter it might be tricky. It will also depend how many loops and effects you get going. Piece of string.

Good luck with Den.

Thanks, yeah they say it’s a bit CPU heavy, so might have to wait until I’ve upgraded the old pad.

Proper gusty here now...

• @zeropoint said:
    Do you mean output stems ? Or the max length of files you can load into clips ?

There’s no limit to the length of stems you can record out as far as I can see. As one would expect.

There’s nothing in the manual about max clip file size . I’ve managed to load stems in that play for 50 bars before the audio cuts out. Max live sample length is 8 bars and the loaded clip lengths in the preset packs I’ve explored are no longer than 16 bars.

So although it looks like it will play back longish files, it’ goes without saying it’s not designed to be a long stem player.

Each project has 64 scenes, each of which contains banks of 8 clips on 4 tracks. Apart from live triggering, you can program those clips to play in a multitude of ways by assigning a modulation pattern to the track and then setting step and evolution conditions for that mod pattern. And you have 6 of those mod patterns per clip track which can be set to mod all sorts of parameters. And of course step and evolution conditions can be set for each of those patterns. Plus static or evolving gate and slice states per track . Same goes for the Pitch Drill and Reverse & Calk and Response modules. And that before we’ve even got to the FX.....

There is a song mode if you want to work with it that way. You can toggle the 64 scenes to play back consecutively with the scene change happening after the longest clip in the bank has finished playing.

You could very well just use the app generatively and record the results as separate stems for each track. But where it shines for me is a mix of programmed, generative and live interactive. You really can take those 32 clips in endless different directions. Stem that stuff out then load it into Auria Pro or Cubasis for further edits and mix .....that will be my workflow with it at least .

Thanks zeropoint

• Cheers @MonzoPro, just wind and a smattering of rain so far but keeping that river level monitor refreshed, we're up the hill too but it hurts seeing neighbours and friends lose everything (again), keep a tight hold of them tiles!

• @Krupa said:
    Cheers @MonzoPro, just wind and a smattering of rain so far but keeping that river level monitor refreshed, we're up the hill too but it hurts seeing neighbours and friends lose everything (again), keep a tight hold of them tiles!

Good luck men. Time to drink soup and write anthems to self-sufficiency etc.

@MonzoPro Time to buy that new iPad Mister.

• how do you import audio into jamm pro. i see how to sample in, but how do i import from audio share ?

• Go into clip view.

Click on the clip name box. Should say “not set wav if it’s empty.

This will open the Files App where you can browse to your samples

• Tap on the _not_set.wav in the clip window 👍

• edited February 2020

ok i figure sit out in clip mode. but how can i trim the sample in there?

• also how do you remove a clip if you don’t want it in the clips grid?

• @Krupa said:
    Cheers @MonzoPro, just wind and a smattering of rain so far but keeping that river level monitor refreshed, we're up the hill too but it hurts seeing neighbours and friends lose everything (again), keep a tight hold of them tiles!

Cheers! Rough as hell here now, hope your friends avoid the floods.

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Krupa said:

I know. The Air 2 has been a cracking buy though, still going strong, just a few newer apps like this one that show its age.

I was planning to get an Air 3, but hesitating as I’m wondering if I should invest a bit more and go for a big one. I’ve had so much use out of the Air 2, I’m thinking a 12 incher, if it’s as good and lasts as long as the Air 2, would be a sensible option.

Though all this is academic if She Who Must Be Obeyed doesn’t agree.

• @eross said:
    ok i figure sit out in clip mode. but how can i trim the sample in there?

Think it’s on the roadmap - the manual on they sure has a pretty good faq where they answer this

@eross said:
    also how do you remove a clip if you don’t want it in the clips grid?

I think you just replace it...

• @eross said:

There’s no way to quickly clear a clip from the grid while in play view ( needs to be addressed in my view).

You press “clear” in clip view. The waveform graphic takes a while to clear out, which again is a bug which needs sorting.

Oh and you cannot trim the sample yet, you can only adjust the start point. This is going to arrive in an update apparently.

• @zeropoint said:

@eross said:

There’s no way to quickly clear a clip from the grid while in play view ( needs to be addressed in my view).

You press “clear” in clip view. The waveform graphic takes a while to clear out, which again is a bug which needs sorting.

Oh and you cannot trim the sample yet, you can only adjust the start point. This is going to arrive in an update apparently.

Ah, I never noticed that... 🙏

• @MonzoPro said:

@Krupa said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Krupa said:

I know. The Air 2 has been a cracking buy though, still going strong, just a few newer apps like this one that show its age.

I was planning to get an Air 3, but hesitating as I’m wondering if I should invest a bit more and go for a big one. I’ve had so much use out of the Air 2, I’m thinking a 12 incher, if it’s as good and lasts as long as the Air 2, would be a sensible option.

At this point in time a second hand Ipad Pro10.5 is the best deal.

...and you got to keep the headphone jack

• @supadom said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Krupa said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Krupa said:

Yeah, might be the best option. Still weighing up my chickens at the moment to see what my budget is, plus there’s probably new stuff coming out next month, so will wait to see what’s revealed.

• @MonzoPro said:

@supadom said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Krupa said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Krupa said:

Yeah, might be the best option. Still weighing up my chickens at the moment to see what my budget is, plus there’s probably new stuff coming out next month, so will wait to see what’s revealed.

..and that new stuff will likely drop the price of the old stuff too.