Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Layr synth multi output update

So is anyone else loving the new update to Layr adding multi output especially with the recent AUM update? It just seems like some special things are happening now and are about to happen on the IOS/Ipad OS platform . I’m hoping we get more synths with multi out support and hopefully multi timbral synths with multi output, I’d really love to see bs 16i become a multi timbral app with multi outputs. Anyway I just wanted to comment on the new Layr update since I haven’t seen any mention of it.

Comments

• I will have to buy this next payday now :)

• edited February 2020

@Fruitbat1919 said:
    I will have to buy this next payday now :)

It was already crazy before this update as far synths go, and Layr is a perfect name for this synth, you can layer many synths layers and decide how each synth instance is mapped across keys, I’m probably not doing a great job of describing it but it’s crazy, and now you can assign them to up 8 outputs I think? Maybe 9 counting the master out? But yeah, I would definitely recommend it now!

• Multi outputs on my wallet now...

• @Strizbiz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

It was already crazy before this update as far synths go, and Layr is a perfect name for this synth, you can layer many synths layers and decide how each synth instance is mapped across keys, I’m probably not doing a great job of describing it but it’s crazy, and now you can assign them to up 8 outputs I think? Maybe 9 counting the master out? But yeah, I wouldn’t definitely recommend it now!

Somehow, it’s just one of the synths I kinda missed getting way back when :)

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Strizbiz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

It was already crazy before this update as far synths go, and Layr is a perfect name for this synth, you can layer many synths layers and decide how each synth instance is mapped across keys, I’m probably not doing a great job of describing it but it’s crazy, and now you can assign them to up 8 outputs I think? Maybe 9 counting the master out? But yeah, I wouldn’t definitely recommend it now!

Lol, the synth itself is really nice and you can add as many of them in a patch as your iPad can handle

• @Strizbiz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Strizbiz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Lol, the synth itself is really nice and you can add as many of them in a patch as your iPad can handle

I use an Air2 still, so to many instances then! Lol

• edited February 2020

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Strizbiz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Strizbiz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Yes it's great that at last AUv3 is coming of age on iOS. The functionality for multiple ins/outs has been in the API for years and devs such as myself have been waiting for hosts to catch up with baited breath! Hopefully now that AUM is again leading the way it will put pressure on the rest of the pack. 🤔

Fyi: An Air 2 can comfortably handle LayR set to 128 voices. LayR defaults to 128 when it first runs, but you can set it to 256 in its settings panel if you have newer faster iPad. I still use my trusty Air 2 for live work running LayR and a couple of other apps too

• So basically every layer is a single synth?

• @Tones4Christ said:
    So basically every layer is a single synth?

Yes. Every layer is a two-oscillator synth with two lfo's and lots of modulation possibilities.

• edited February 2020

@Tones4Christ said:
    So basically every layer is a single synth?

Well, each layer or synth is contained within an instrument , and an instrument can have many layers. So you can have multiple instruments that contain multiple layers or “synths” inside them.
    So looking at the image above, it has 3 instruments, and the second instrument has 6 layers you can see when you tap on the arrow at the top right of the instrument. So you can go really crazy with an iPad that can handle the load.

• @RedSkyLullaby this sent me back to Layr for a happy hour and much of that spent playing your presets there. So many of these I really like. If I didn't thank you then thank you now.

• It’s one of the synths I really respect its design and the incredible range possible.

The update with outs is super cool and easy to figure out. Thanks!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @LivingMemorySoftware said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Strizbiz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Strizbiz said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

Yes it's great that at last AUv3 is coming of age on iOS. The functionality for multiple ins/outs has been in the API for years and devs such as myself have been waiting for hosts to catch up with baited breath! Hopefully now that AUM is again leading the way it will put pressure on the rest of the pack. 🤔

I sure hope so but even something seemingly simple like reordering AU fx has been overlooked or ignored (sigh, required a complete rewrite in the case of Cubasis?) in high profile hosts / daws so who know in this whacky little microcosm.

• @StudioES said:
    Can each layer within an instrument receive MIDI independently?
    Interested in how it'll work with a multi-MIDI-out sequencer like Fugue Machine.

Each instrument can be targeted by a different midi channel.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2020

Need a Doug aka @thesoundtestroom demo to break this all down for me

• This synth is the real deal, tier one business! Love it.

• @iOSTRAKON said:

You will some excellent videos breaking it down and demonstrating it on YouTube. Don't miss Brice's cinematic presets demo.

It is phenomenally deep and straightforward at the same time...especially when one starts creating intricate modulation matrices.

• That was the video that sold me a months ago

@espiegel123 said:

@iOSTRAKON said:

You will some excellent videos breaking it down and demonstrating it on YouTube. Don't miss Brice's cinematic presets demo.

It is phenomenally deep and straightforward at the same time...especially when one starts creating intricate modulation matrices.

• Great to see this as multi out :)

I'm finding there's a bug where noise will come out of some ports unless more than one audio port is enabled in Layr. eg if you change patch with out ports enabled, to a patch which only has a a normal one audio out, you get a hum from some of the orphaned outs. As soon as you enable an extra out, it stops, so easy to workaround, but not intentional I think.

• edited February 2020

@Carnbot said:
    Great to see this as multi out :)

I'm finding there's a bug where noise will come out of some ports unless more than one audio port is enabled in Layr. eg if you change patch with out ports enabled, to a patch which only has a a normal one audio out, you get a hum from some of the orphaned outs. As soon as you enable an extra out, it stops, so easy to workaround, but not intentional I think.

Well spotted: Fixed in 1.41, in review atm.

Could I plead with folks to let me know about bugs via our support page:

https:livingmemorysoftware.com/support

I'd much rather know about them quicker that way. Often I don't browse forums for days or weeks.

cheers folks!

• @LivingMemorySoftware said:

@Carnbot said:
    Great to see this as multi out :)

Well spotted: Fixed in 1.41, in review atm.

Could I plead with folks to let me know about bugs via our support page:

https:livingmemorysoftware.com/support

I'd much rather know about them quicker that way. Often I don't browse forums for days or weeks.

cheers folks!

Thanks for the fix :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @RedSkyLullaby this sent me back to Layr for a happy hour and much of that spent playing your presets there. So many of these I really like. If I didn't thank you then thank you now.

Nice to hear mate, I have not visited Layr for a while, such an immensely good sound design synth, i have to dive back down that rabbit hole sometime

• This is great!

• @LivingMemorySoftware Thanks for this fantastic new chapter of LayR.. not even sure what to do with the new multi-out feature yet - BUT - that journey is going to be exciting..