Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can an Auv3 host another Auv3 ?

.. or does a host have to be IAA or Audiobus?

(Is my question clear enough?)

Comments

• Nope, not possible. I've tried :)

• Babuschka effect not allowed on Apple. Too Russian ;)

• It’s because it causes an infinite spiral and the whole universe disappears up its own backside :p

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    It’s because it causes an infinite spiral and the whole universe disappears up its own backside :p

Yep... it makes sense.

• edited February 2020

IRC, this is on the roadmap for Drambo v2

It is possible for an app to run standalone as an AUv3 host and to also provide AUV3 plugins that it can host. Almost an infinite regress. apeMatrix does this.

• @mojozart said:

It is possible for an app to run standalone as an AUv3 host and to also provide AUV3 plugins that it can host. Almost an infinite regress. apeMatrix does this.

I think you may be misunderstanding that concept a little bit.

Something hosted as a plugin can not host anything else, neither itself nor some other plugin.

You can have an app that runs in standalone mode and have it host a derivative plugin of itself, but that's where it stops.
    Almost all my apps do that. They are standalone containerhosts that host their own included plugin.

You could also make a container host that hosts multiple instances of its own plugin simultaneously, but not recursively.

• @brambos said:

@mojozart said:

I think you may be misunderstanding that concept a little bit.

Something hosted as a plugin can not host anything else, neither itself nor some other plugin.

You can have an app that runs in standalone mode and have it host a derivative plugin of itself, but that's where it stops.
    Almost all my apps do that. They are standalone containerhosts that host their own included plugin.

You could also make a container host that hosts multiple instances of its own plugin simultaneously, but not recursively.

Understood. Sorry for the Drambo humor.

• What you really need is a DAW that can load another DAW that can load... Try not to imagine this because your brain might crash due to a lack of Random Access Mind... we have finite amounts except for the true Fat Head.

We really do need a FAQ on the Wiki but that sounds like work.

• Thanks for the answer @brambos - Somewhere on my ideas list was an "effect rack" that would load other effects and let you save the rack.

• edited February 2020

• @supadom said:
    Babuschka effect not allowed on Apple. Too Russian ;)

@dendy nothing at all wrong with the Russians just thought of Apple being an American company. ;)

• @burns_audio said:
    Thanks for the answer @brambos - Somewhere on my ideas list was an "effect rack" that would load other effects and let you save the rack.

Yeah.. I was exploring some kind of Mainstage idea, but alas.

• @ttk not sure I understand the use case for nested AUv3 instances... did you have a specific scenario in mind?

• @zeroG said:
    @ttk not sure I understand the use case for nested AUv3 instances... did you have a specific scenario in mind?

For instance, an AUv3 that is a modular synth that can use other AUv3s as modules. Or an AUv3 virtual effect rack that loads other AUv3s. This would let you put together easily portable effect chains that you could easily recall in other hosts. A multi-track recording AU that can host effects inside itself.

Basically, with Apple intending to stop supporting Host-to-Host protocols (unless they replace IAA with something else), there is some need for AUv3s that are host programs.

• Ok, that tallies. Thanks @espiegel123

• @zeroG said:
    @ttk not sure I understand the use case for nested AUv3 instances... did you have a specific scenario in mind?

https://www.pluginguru.com/products/unify-standard/

• Damn I forgot I had mainstage!

@brambos said:

@burns_audio said:
    Thanks for the answer @brambos - Somewhere on my ideas list was an "effect rack" that would load other effects and let you save the rack.

Yeah.. I was exploring some kind of Mainstage idea, but alas.