Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multi output and sidechaining

Anyone care to explain what these are?

Thank you.

Comments

• edited February 2020

@sigma79 said:

Thank you.

Say you have two tracks/channels - one with your four on the floor kick drum, and another channel with your bass part .. A compressor on the bass channel can receive sidechain input from the kick so that on every beat it lowers the volume of the bass for the duration of the beat, so your kick stands out more in the mix. You should definitely google for more info—there are a lot of common uses for sidechaining. (envelope followers, side chain compression/EQ, etc)

Multi output is just as the name implies - take for example a drum synth or sample plugin that has snare, kick, hi hat, and other drum parts — with multi-out, you can send each drum part to it’s own channel/bus to use different effects/processing on each part. Hardware Drum machines like the classic 808 have multiple physical outputs just for this purpose, so it’s incredibly helpful that iOS can now do this in the software realm.

• So Bram Bos's new app Scatterbrain sends upto 4 outputs and I think EG Pulse now does something similar. I am I right in saying Cubasis can't take advantage of this?
    I own AUM and understand that it can now handle this but I don't really understand why I bought it... I guess I just want a traditional DAW to handle these invidual outs. I've also got NS2 but haven't explored it yet.
    I'm a little lost and any help would appreciated.

• I really need the great and only @thesoundtestroom make a tutorial video about these two features. I am completely lost too. So sad bit I am a little bit slow at understand how this work in practice. I've undesrtand the theory but I need some help to put in practice with AUM.

• Glad I'm not the only one. It gets a bit complicated for an old fart like me :/

• Here instruction for setting up EG Pulse Multi-Output AU:

• For the first output, add an AUM audio channel and load EG Pulse Multi-Output AU into the input slot.

• For the second to n‘th output add another AUM channel and in its input popup, you‘ll find a submenu with ‚Multi.Bus Audio Unit Instances‘. In that sub-menu select ‚EG Pulse Multi-Output‘. This will add Bus 16. Now tap on the new Bus-Icon left of the AU instance icon to select the bus for this channel.
      Each bus can be only added once and one can only select a single bus to read from.

And instructions for setting up side-chaining with Pro-C2:

• Add Pro-C2 as fx for the channel you want to be compressed using side-chaing
    • In the side-chain source channel, tap on the effects slot and open the ‚Multi-Bus Audio Unit Instances‘ sub menu. There select the Pro-C2 instance from the first channel.
    • In Pro-C2 open up the side-chain settings (button in the lower part) and choose ‚EXT‘ for the side-chain input.
  • Let's just hope that Cubasis gains this feature too at some point...

• I just checked my AUs for multi-outputs and found the following plugins

Instrument slot:

• EG Pulse

FX slot:

• Pro-Q2, Pro-Q3, Pro-C2, Pro-MB, Pro-DS, Pro-G, Pro-L2
    • RoughRider 3
    • Scatterbrain

Are there more ?

I would like if other AUs get updated. Besides the obvious compressors, the vocoders DerVoco and VoiceSynth and also Sparkle (to allow for live-input target) are good candidates for side-chaining :)

• @sigma79 said:

Thank you.

Sidechaining ... using one audio signal to compress the volume\gain of another

e.g. when the DJ talks, the record goes quiet. The louder the DJ speaks, the quieter the record becomes.
    e.g. the kick drum reduces the volume of the bass to clarify the low end of the mix to allow the kick to punch through

• Sidechain:

Channel A ————-\
    \
    Channel B —————\————————> Channel B + Influence of Channel A

Multiple output:

Channel A ——APP—————————> Channel A
    \—————————- > Channel B generated from APP
    \—————————> Channel C generated from APP
    \—————————> Etc.

• edited February 2020

Grr.. In the preview it looked better. Now it’s a mess, lol Forget it what i posted.

• Thanks for the help @j_liljedahl and @_ki much appreciated 🙏

• @Identor Edit your post and add three ` backtick signs in front and also three of these behind to change to your ascii graph to a code block:

This a code block with fixed width font 
                ^ and fixed width spaces
    Here are three of these backticks `` ` with a space inbetween (to not end the code-block)

• @Samu said:
    Let's just hope that Cubasis gains this feature too at some point...

heh, lets start with the first maintenance update. ;)

• @AudioGus said:

@Samu said:
    Let's just hope that Cubasis gains this feature too at some point...

heh, lets start with the first maintenance update. ;)

HaQMan already made a plea to Steinberg to add it in his latest video :)

• is there a list of which apps have multi output plugins somewhere?

• Is it something new ? Since IOS 13.3 ? Because even few months ago everybody said there was no real sidechaining on IOS.... I must have missed some threads and updates ...

• @grego68 said:
    Is it something new ? Since IOS 13.3 ? Because even few months ago everybody said there was no real sidechaining on IOS.... I must have missed some threads and updates ...

It's been in the AUv3 specs for long, long time but there's been no hosts to support it...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @_ki said:
    I just checked my AUs for multi-outputs and found the following plugins

Instrument slot:

• EG Pulse

FX slot:

• RoughRider 3
    • Scatterbrain

Are there more ?

I would like if other AUs get updated. Besides the obvious compressors, the vocoders DerVoco and VoiceSynth and also Sparkle (to allow for live-input target) are good candidates for side-chaining :)

I would expect Toneboosters to be on this sooner rather than later

• @Samu said:

@grego68 said:
    Is it something new ? Since IOS 13.3 ? Because even few months ago everybody said there was no real sidechaining on IOS.... I must have missed some threads and updates ...

It's been in the AUv3 specs for long, long time but there's been no hosts to support it...

I hear the specs are not well documented. Like whatever is in the cauldron those three ladies are brewing in that dark forest.

• @Samu said:

@grego68 said:

To be honest N-Track Pro always had this function.but not being a stable DAW, it never had much love from the community

• @_ki said:

Instrument slot:

• EG Pulse

FX slot:

• RoughRider 3
    • Scatterbrain

Are there more ?

LayR got updated with multi out today as well

• @sigma79 said:

Thank you.

Maybe someone can post a simple AUM project with RoughRider3 demonstrating Side-Chaining....

AB forum do host Zip files...

Thanks..

• @JackDwyerburger said:

@_ki said:

Instrument slot:

• EG Pulse

FX slot:

• RoughRider 3
    • Scatterbrain

Are there more ?

LayR got updated with multi out today as well

Add:

-Toneboosters EQ
    -DDMF NYCompressor

• edited February 2020

Here’s an example of a kick drum making the drone duck https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcc9wflik9fm56i/Sidechain example.zip?dl=0

Edit: i forgot to attach the audio files for it as well

• @JackDwyerburger said:
    Here’s an example of a kick drum making the drone duck https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcc9wflik9fm56i/Sidechain example.zip?dl=0

Edit: i forgot to attach the audio files for it as well

Thanks... Was wondering if was that Dumb.. 😁

• @ahallam said:

@Samu said:

@grego68 said:

I hear the specs are not well documented. Like whatever is in the cauldron those three ladies are brewing in that dark forest.

Naw, it was always clear that it was possible but it was a chicken/egg standoff: without a host that supports it there is no incentive to make plugins that do it (nor a way to test it).

I’ve always felt it’s strange that Apple don’t provide a reference host that has all their own features built in.