Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MASCHINE Jam as a Mac Ableton 10 controller in 2020?

Hi folks, I recently took the plunge on a secondhand MacBook Pro to extend my iPad only adventures into the brave new world of Ableton 10, and now I’m looking at controllers for it. I’ll be using the setup to record and manipulate mainly sample based and iPad created material using step sequencing, not performing with it, so it’s all about the hardware interactivity with Ableton.

The Push 2 and high end Akais are too rich for my blood right now. I have a 2nd gen Launchpad mini which is fine for clip launching but not much else, and so I’ve been thinking maybe a secondhand Push 1, or a MASCHINE Jam? The Push 1 has pure Ableton focus in its favour of course. Reading the forums for MASCHINE it seems the MASCHINE Mk 3 Ableton template is broken and abandoned, and I am getting mixed reports about how well the Jam as an alternative functions specifically with Ableton 10, though these demos seems to suggest otherwise:

I am interested in the hefty software bundle Jam comes with, though, the fact that it can do its own stuff outside of Ableton, and it’s low price compared to Push. Anyone here having success with Jam and Ableton 10 on Mac/Catalina? How much of a nightmare is it to set up? (I’ve heard issues re scales not mapping correctly to the pads, for example.)

All thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• I would probably save for Push2 imo it's way better than the first version regarding realtime feedback of what's going on in Live. In the meantime if you have an old unused iPad, something like touchAble will bring you almost there, except the velocity sensitive pads.
    To be honest I went through all of these (touchable, p1, p2) and at the end I still feel like in certain situations it's definitely helping, but overall it's a distraction and I'm way faster and more productive with mouse.

• edited February 2020

Launchpad would probably be better. I have the Maschine Mk 3 and it works well with the Maschine software but I don’t use it as a controller for other software.

There is controller editor software and you can add templates other people made, though. It’s not hard, but I found it tedious in general. The Jam might be easier or better.

I’m still on Mojave though. I barely updated to Mojave last fall. I’m cautious.

• Get Maschine Jam for Maschine for which it is great, haven't used as an Ableton controller though it could be a bonus.

Launchpad Pro or really Touchable Pro are probably better options.

• Push1 and push2 especially ,are very useful to focus on Live without looking the computer screen. But if you rely on the screen and use mouse&keyboard a lot ,then you don’t really need push tight integration .
    If you simply want to check on Maschine software ,maybe IMO entry level keyboards from NI would be more useful .

• I agree with @auxmux and the sampling engine in Maschine is super powerful.

Also check out the ability to morph between lock states. That is probably one of my favorite Maschine features.

• How about Touchable Pro?

• Touchable is better than jam. Even a launchpad pro would be better. Jam is good for what it is, but I wouldn't get it as a main Ableton controller if I had other options. (Push 1, Push 2, touchable or launchpad pro) .... why? no screen, or velocity on the pads...

• @RubenDari said:
    Touchable is better than jam. Even a launchpad pro would be better. Jam is good for what it is, but I wouldn't get it as a main Ableton controller if I had other options. (Push 1, Push 2, touchable or launchpad pro) .... why? no screen, or velocity on the pads...

Can't get Touchable to fire up, server issues. But ImageLine Remote made me wonder if the software solution (Ipad) can be superior to hardware. IL Remote works so much better than FLS Fire controller...

Got to take time to get that Touchabke up and running..

• Hi all., and especially @RubenDari, @RajahP : Touchable Pro does sound interesting, given that I have a launchpad mini and some other controllers for tactile finger drumming/clip launching, but I have a history of blowing not insignificant funds on things that just never work, and I am concerned with RajahPs difficulties getting Touchable Pro up and running. Does anyone have direct, positive experience of using it on Catalina with Ableton successfully?

• I'm on Mojave ... not missing with Catalina unless I need to.

@RajahP what have you tried to fix it? have you contacted them?

• edited February 2020

@RubenDari said:
    I'm on Mojave ... not missing with Catalina unless I need to.

@RajahP what have you tried to fix it? have you contacted them?

Try, a little.. Busy for the past few.. read up their forum and it seems as it’s a common issue.

Do you have it?