Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Thinking of getting a iPad Pro 1st gen for music.

I really like the idea of a massive screen.

Is it still a capable machine in 2020 for making music?

Comments

• @cyberheater said:
    I really like the idea of a massive screen.

Is it still a capable machine in 2020 for making music?

Yes! I use mine everyday for music production with Cubasis, Auria Pro, AUM, Nanostudio 2, and all the major synth and effect suites, just make sure to get the 512gb version that has 4gb of ram. I also have 2 newer 2nd generation iPad Pro’s .. but this 1st gen 12.9 I’m typing on right now is my work horse .. probably because I’m not so anal about keeping it free from scratches, bumps, or knocks since it’s older now. I’d say go for it 👍

• Yes, awesome bit of kit ;-)

• Very happy with mine!

• And it has a headphone jack!

• I have one of these, no problem at all, but look for the ones with the max storage

• Thanks folks it’s appreciated.

• I would go for the 2nd gen 2017 upgrade, might be $150 or $200 more, but with the CPU upgrade it will likely last a few more years and perform better with future iOS features and upgrades.

• edited February 2020

I bought my first gen iPad Pro when they first came out in late 2015 and it's great - they are definitely still good for music making!

Mine's had near constant use, for a wide variety of uses, and it's pretty much as good as when I first got it - maybe a little less battery life but not much, and it still takes all the latest iOS updates

I'm sure newer ones are slightly more powerful but I've never had issues at all. It's probably true that a newer one would last longer for updates etc, but if you're doing music it's good to have the headphone socket as the digital to analogue converters are very good in 1st gen Pros.

I got the dark grey silicone Apple case (front and back) for it when I bought it and, while it seemed expensive at the time, it has actually really been worth it as it's kept the iPad in pristine condition (it's been all over the world with me), so if I decide to upgrade I should get a good resale price for it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My primary iPad is 2016 iPad Pro 9.7 and it works fantastically.

• iPad Pro 9.7" 1st Gen 2016

It's solid.
    I like it.
    A lot.

• @Gravitas said:
    iPad Pro 9.7" 1st Gen 2016

It's solid.
    I like it.
    A lot.

Same here, got it a couple of years ago with 128gb, use it so much for both visual and audio arts, don't know how I did without it before...

• edited February 2020

I got a 2nd hand one which us mostly great, but the battery is dying. Recommend getting it new.

• I passed my old gen 1 12.9 inch onto someone else, but it was still going strong for music apps.

• Great information! May I ask which version of Cubasis is everyone running on the iPad gen 1?

• I’ve had to hold off for now. Was going to trade in my iPad but they didn’t offer enough. Time to start saving my pennies.

• I’ve bit the bullet. iPad Pro 12.9 inch gen 1. It looks stunning. Really enjoying the extra real estate. Looking forward to installing my apps later.

• Congrats, enjoy! What kind of deal did you find?

• @Hmtx said:
    Congrats, enjoy! What kind of deal did you find?

£200 to side grade from my current iPad to this.

• @cyberheater said:

@Hmtx said:
    Congrats, enjoy! What kind of deal did you find?

£200 to side grade from my current iPad to this.

Awesome.

Congratulations.

• Unfortunately the iPad Pro kept randomly rebooting so I took it back and got a great deal on an iPad Pro 2nd gen 64GB. The screen is awesome. I’m very pleased.