Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NEW Akai MPC ONE Stand Alone

Comments

• @Proppa said:
    A question for One and Live owners: how’s the button-build on these newer units? My last MPC was a 2500 and both the buttons and the data wheel didn’t last long at all.

(In contrast my OG 2000 is to this day rock solid aside from the screen washing out a bit.)

Buttons feel the same as all other modern Akai products. Go give the buttons on an mpk or mpd a push at your local music shop, and they’re essentially the same. I had an mpc1k ages ago and they feel more robust than that even though they have a similar look and profile. I really love the big data knob, which surprises me bc I thought I preferred a lower profile wheel. This thing is real chunky and much more of a joy to use than I had thought.

• LaunchPad Pro MK3 packaged up and ready to return at Guitar Center. Taking the plunge 😬

• @echoopera said:
    Let me know if you ever record a video of the MPC One controlling a bunch of synths in AUM...would love to see that.

I do this currently with the OT as I said...and also ModStep and BeatMaker3...but want a solid Hardware Controller to do this and the ONE looks like a perfect candidate.

I’m not a video guy, but let me suggest that if you’re only looking to control external gear that you look at the squarp pyramid, which is in the same price range. It’s much better at sequencing and manipulating external midi, is smaller, better suited to handle external instruments, and still has modern connectivity. You might also be interested to know that the new mpcs accept midi in Omni mode only. (I.e., any midi input that goes into the mpc is directed to the currently selected track, regardless of channelization)

• @syrupcore said:
    Thanks, @kobamoto. That MIDI mapping definitely looks cool but I'm looking for MIDI out mapping. Did a little more searching and it looks like the answer is "not currently". http://97.107.134.128/feedback/create/feature/Main Mode/Mac OS 10.11.0.0/Standalone/none it is.

sorry man, I had a vague feeling I was off

• edited February 2020

@legsmechanical said:

@echoopera said:
    Let me know if you ever record a video of the MPC One controlling a bunch of synths in AUM...would love to see that.

I do this currently with the OT as I said...and also ModStep and BeatMaker3...but want a solid Hardware Controller to do this and the ONE looks like a perfect candidate.

I’m not a video guy, but let me suggest that if you’re only looking to control external gear that you look at the squarp pyramid, which is in the same price range. It’s much better at sequencing and manipulating external midi, is smaller, better suited to handle external instruments, and still has modern connectivity. You might also be interested to know that the new mpcs accept midi in Omni mode only. (I.e., any midi input that goes into the mpc is directed to the currently selected track, regardless of channelization)

Yeah the Pyramid looks stellar but i kind of want something that can Sample and Sequence. Been really looking at MPCs for a few years and the ONE just seems to tick the right boxes for what i want.

I want a DAW in a hardware box in a form factor like the MPC1000 that allows me to play internal and external instruments and capture it to resample if i so desire.

• @legsmechanical said:
    >

Buttons feel the same as all other modern Akai products. Go give the buttons

Thanks. After the 2500 I semi-swore off hardware because of entropy concerns but that didn’t last too long. Assuming the UI can endure a healthy workout the One is super tempting.

• @Proppa said:

@legsmechanical said:
    >

Buttons feel the same as all other modern Akai products. Go give the buttons

Thanks. After the 2500 I semi-swore off hardware because of entropy concerns but that didn’t last too long. Assuming the UI can endure a healthy workout the One is super tempting.

I’d assume it can, but only time will tell. Worst case scenario, you have to break out some solder and order a few switches years and years from now. I’ve got a lot of older digital hardware that I pretty much wrote off due to problems with switches, etc. but was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to replace those things DIY with a little bit of patience and some YouTube videos for guidance. I brought some of my favorite gear back to life for a few bucks and an evening of my time, which was well worth it.

• @echoopera said:

@legsmechanical said:

@echoopera said:

Yeah the Pyramid looks stellar but i kind of want something that can Sample and Sequence. Been really looking at MPCs for a few years and the ONE just seems to tick the right boxes for what i want.

I want a DAW in a hardware box in a form factor like the MPC1000 that allows me to play internal and external instruments and capture it to resample if i so desire.

Do it then! (Resampling is A++ on this thing... so so easy and flexible)

• @legsmechanical said:

@Proppa said:

@legsmechanical said:
    >

was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to replace those things DIY with a little bit of patience and some YouTube videos for guidance. I brought some of my favorite gear back to life for a few bucks and an evening of my time, which was well worth it.

Raising a glass to that.

• @echoopera said:
    LaunchPad Pro MK3 packaged up and ready to return at Guitar Center. Taking the plunge 😬

Let me know how it goes. I may do the same. I have the mk3 as well, and using it to sequence in AUM. I am adjusting to having no knobs, but the idea of the One at the price might make me shift away from my current direction.... so, please keep me in the loop on it if you do it and how it goes after up and running.

• Is the memory soldered in or can you add more? 4gb....wish it had 16gb like old iPad days. I want this but I should just look the Live or MC707 given the price. This looks like it has too many compromises.

• Midi sync isn’t like the olds (jjOS) so research deeply before trigger the (check out) button...

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=196075

Maybe Akai will fix it someday, IDK...

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Midi sync isn’t like the olds (jjOS) so research deeply before trigger the (check out) button...

Mine is arriving in March... hopefully sooner. So you lucky guys who got it from Sweetwater, is anyone willing to pop their back cover open (it won’t void the warranty because it doesn’t have a seal ;) at least my MPC Live didn’t have) ?

I’m planning to buy a MPC Live battery and antenna from mpcstuff.com and if the logic board is presumably the same, it should have the same connectors. So that means... battery powered MPC One ;)

• @alecsbuga said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    Midi sync isn’t like the olds (jjOS) so research deeply before trigger the (check out) button...

Mine is arriving in March... hopefully sooner. So you lucky guys who got it from Sweetwater, is anyone willing to pop their back cover open (it won’t void the warranty because it doesn’t have a seal ;) at least my MPC Live didn’t have) ?

I’m planning to buy a MPC Live battery and antenna from mpcstuff.com and if the logic board is presumably the same, it should have the same connectors. So that means... battery powered MPC One ;)

I'm not of these lucky ones... but anyways it should have some easter eggs inside. Maybe not straight forward but I expect not so hard to make some mods. They will probably arise soon after release.
    OTOH you can buy a ripcord cable + battery pack and make it portable.

• It uses too much power for a Ripcord. 3amp and 19v from when I checked.

• edited February 2020

Please let us know, if a battery modification is posible!
    The main reason I am hesitating is the lack of a battery. I want to jam in the garden or living room.

• @auxmux said:
    It uses too much power for a Ripcord. 3amp and 19v from when I checked.

Maybe there is a reason behind Akai drop the battery then. Maybe the CV outputs?

Then the laptop/tablet battery mod should be the path since these are computers in essence.

• Yeah. There are some options for battery packs that supply that kind of power, but if I want to have shit dangling on my beat machine, I can stick to the iPad, or get a 1010music blackbox.

That was the beauty of my MPC Live. I’m 90 percent sure I can hook up a battery. The problem is: will there be enough space? Because the Live battery it’s pretty big.

Anyway. I’m really excited about the One because it’s way smaller, I love the smaller pads. It’s way easier to rip a pentatonic scale on those. And it has all those workflow buttons which make it way more easier for you to move around.

Meanwhile I’ve sold the Live, I sold the Deluge, and I’m messing around using the OPZ as a dedicated controller for Grooverider. It’s a really awesome combo. Also, I forgot how much I loved Beatmaker 3.

Does anyone remember the Alesis IO Dock? I’m really tempted to make a 3d printed box, about the size of the MPC One, which would host an arduino or something. And put 16 pads, 8 knobs and a couple of momentary toggles. So it would have a big ass battery to power the ipad mini, and act like a MPC One.

• edited February 2020

@alecsbuga said:
    Does anyone remember the Alesis IO Dock? I’m really tempted to make a 3d printed box, about the size of the MPC One, which would host an arduino or something. And put 16 pads, 8 knobs and a couple of momentary toggles. So it would have a big ass battery to power the ipad mini, and act like a MPC One.

I can help on that...

but maybe just get a new Launchpad X any controller you want?
    About dedicated buttons for modes, ok... maybe a custom arduino solution could help but (IMHO) less dabbling more musicking...

• I’m thinking of a box that encloses the iPadmini, has a usb HUB that provides power to the ipad, and some IO (Stereo IN, Stereo OUT, 2-3 USBs) and 16 pads, 8 knobs...

I’m actually eyeing a Sensel Morph for a while, but It’s rather expensive for what it does. At least for me.

• @alecsbuga said:
    I’m thinking of a box that encloses the iPadmini, has a usb HUB that provides power to the ipad, and some IO (Stereo IN, Stereo OUT, 2-3 USBs) and 16 pads, 8 knobs...

I’m actually eyeing a Sensel Morph for a while, but It’s rather expensive for what it does. At least for me.

I just bought a novation audiohub yesterday. It ticks all the needs for the first part (power to iPad is performed by CCK3 itself with battery pack involved so you get 3 free usb ports). It works on 12v 1.5A so Ripcord should get that working properly.
    For the 16 pads choose the controller you prefer and if it hasn't the 8 knobs then lets put that arduino for that and dedicated mode buttons.

If you want to make it happen then let's continue at my post about diy looping controller... (I will probably open it to tabletop surfaces since I'm considering buying a Nektar Pacer as foot controller)

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33753/ot-building-a-foot-midi-controller-for-live-looping/p1

Offtopic end.

• @auxmux said:
    Is the memory soldered in or can you add more? 4gb....wish it had 16gb like old iPad days. I want this but I should just look the Live or MC707 given the price. This looks like it has too many compromises.

It has both a SD Card or USB storage. You don’t really need a bigger internal drive.

I’ve been holding off on these new MPC’s until they FINALLY upgrade the MIDI to multitimbral like they been promising to do. Even something BM3 has proper MIDI support.

• @Apex said:

@auxmux said:
    Is the memory soldered in or can you add more? 4gb....wish it had 16gb like old iPad days. I want this but I should just look the Live or MC707 given the price. This looks like it has too many compromises.

It has both a SD Card or USB storage. You don’t really need a bigger internal drive.

I’ve been holding off on these new MPC’s until they FINALLY upgrade the MIDI to multitimbral like they been promising to do. Even something BM3 has proper MIDI support.

What’s wrong with the midi support?

• @echoopera said:

@Apex said:

@auxmux said:

What’s wrong with the midi support?

There’s no proper multitimbral MIDI IN. Or any multitimbral MIDI IN for that matter. Only OMNI. Which may or may not be a problem depending on how you work. Its a huge issue for me personally because I have a studio full of hardware and I need everything to be able to talk to each other in different ways. But if you’re using the Live/X/One by itself or strictly as a master.... you’ll be fine. Supposedly they’re going remedy this, but I’ve been hearing that since the Live was first released. Well see I guess, but I never buy gear in the hopes that it “might” add features I need.
    All that said, these new MPC’s look INCREDIBLE. As a very long time MPC user I really want one.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Oh. Gotcha. Yeah I’m ok with the Omni functionality of Midi In. I want the MPC one as thr

• Welp. Took the plunge. Going to test out this little gem at lunch today 😬

• OK...guess I should have asked this and not presumed it, but does the MPC One offer Midi over USB? It doesn't seem to show up on the Mac or iOS when plugged in via USB.

Haven't had time to dig in to the manual.

I do have a Midi to USB converter if this is the case...but man...was hoping it was USB Compliant.

• usb midi not out

• @mrcanister said:
    usb midi not out

Yeah...same as my OctoTrack....ho hum....need another cable :)