Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiKeys AUv3 Sequencer Plugin by 4Pockets.com

Comments

• /me balances poorly on the fence, not more than a sparrow's fart from tumbling...

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    @echoopera
    Thank you for your quick take, man.

But...I have to say. I your music is excellent, and your enthusiastic embrace of every new app and your absolute positivity on these forums — all inspiring.

But...your bass tracks are...purple?

YOU THINK YOU KNOW PEOPLE.....

Hahahah! You are right...sorry. Bass-Cyan :)

• edited February 2020

@cian said:
    Sure - how does this compare to Ochtachron? How does this compare to Atom?

For melodic compositions with n# synths and with drums, DigiKeys is much better.

As far as comparisons to ATOM, it's a different beast. The Song Mode, the Probability per Step, the 16 Channels make DK rise to the top.

And StepPolyArp as well I guess, though for some reason I never got into that as a sequencer (love as an Arp though).

StepPolytArp is it's own unique workflow that DigiKeys cannot touch. They are different apps and workflows and outcomes altogether IMHO.

On a side note: Just going to leave this here. I will no longer call it DigiKeys, or DK. I will use this symbol whenever referencing this fun little app:

• @echoopera said:

@cian said:

For melodic compositions with n# synths and with drums, DigiKeys is much better.

As far as comparisons to ATOM, it's a different beast. The Song Mode, the Probability per Step, the 16 Channels make DK rise to the top.

This exactly. I've had one major crash with it, though, which is a bug that will need to be ironed out. I'm not a fan of the dev's interfaces but this works really well, overall. There are a few quirks (as with all his apps, mind) but it's a neat approach to using midi with AUM and I really like it. One thing I would like is midi mapping to different drum machines. If anyone has successfully mapped it (fully) to Ruismaker, for example, I'm all ears.

• edited February 2020

@audio_DT said:

@echoopera said:

@cian said:

This exactly. I've had one major crash with it, though, which is a bug that will need to be ironed out. I'm not a fan of the dev's interfaces but this works really well, overall. There are a few quirks (as with all his apps, mind) but it's a neat approach to using midi with AUM and I really like it. One thing I would like is midi mapping to different drum machines. If anyone has successfully mapped it (fully) to Ruismaker, for example, I'm all ears.

Yeah...I'm in agreement in regards to the UI. It's not my cup of tea...I feel like I'm using a spreadsheet out of the 90's while entering my Steps...but until something 'better' comes along, it will do.

If anything, at least the Dev has established his 'motif' for UI design which is consistent with how he thinks and wants to make the user use his apps...the system is there. Not every app developer can create the Ferrari of music apps like Bram, Bleass, Modstep, NS2, AUM and countless others. Not everyone has the eye ya know.

I just think of it as using some ancient Yamaha sequencing gear from the 80's...but then again, I'm a Glass is half full kind of person, and will use

to accomplish my musical goals in AUM.

• Is this limited to step/quantized sequencing and recording?

• Does it do poly rhythms/meters?

• edited February 2020

Can anyone point me to the no doubt obvious way to tweak levels of individual drum sounds (say) in a specific kit. So, just turn the 'clap' down. As it were. Thanks...

• What does this look like as an AU? Does a single DK™ instance drive several other AUs? Or is it like Atom: on instance per track?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    What does this look like as an AU? Does a single DK™ instance drive several other AUs? Or is it like Atom: on instance per track?

@ExAsperis99 said:
    What does this look like as an AU? Does a single DK™ instance drive several other AUs? Or is it like Atom: on instance per track?

One instance runs 16 channels.

• edited February 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Can anyone point me to the no doubt obvious way to tweak levels of individual drum sounds (say) in a specific kit. So, just turn the 'clap' down. As it were. Thanks...

I think 500mg of amoxicillin works for this. :)

• @audio_DT said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

One instance runs 16 channels.

Sold

• Can someone who owns both digistix and digikeys confirm that the midi timing has improved please?
    Is it really only me who has timing issues with digistix?
    Just insert 16 notes/hits, turn on host sync and let it play for 4-8 bars. Can you hear midi jitter?

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Can someone who owns both digistix and digikeys confirm that the midi timing has improved please?
    Is it really only me who has timing issues with digistix?
    Just insert 16 notes/hits, turn on host sync and let it play for 4-8 bars. Can you hear midi jitter?

Standalone or AU?

• edited February 2020

@wim
    AU, and in AUM please. In previous thread someone reported that timing is better in NS2 f.e.

Thank you!

• edited February 2020

I just tried this and thought I was imagining it but so I recorded it in multitrak and it appears that some beats are later than others... though I feel as though I should subject other stuff to the same test before making any judgements...

• @Krupa said:
    I just tried this and thought I was imagining it but so I recorded it in multitask and it appears that some beats are later than others... though I feel as though I should subject other stuff to the same test before making any judgements...

Thanks, it can be down to multitrack as well. Yeah jitter is easy to pass but once you notice it it hard to ignore.

• Don’t know if these two help, you can see the difference in them though, think I’ve set up ‘stix right so that this shouldn’t happen?

• @Krupa said:
    I just tried this and thought I was imagining it but so I recorded it in multitrak and it appears that some beats are later than others... though I feel as though I should subject other stuff to the same test before making any judgements...

Btw, wat it stix, keys or for both?

• Just stix, not thinking about getting keys until I’m happier with stix...

• Can this thing, running as an AU, handle all 16 tracks at once using just the 16 internal sampler tracks, no Midi out?

• @Krupa said:
    Don’t know if these two help, you can see the difference in them though, think I’ve set up ‘stix right so that this shouldn’t happen?

Thanks, yeah, it shouldn't. Thought it could be down to sync issue with stix or multitrack or (most likely) both.

• @echoopera said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

YES I KNOW BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DRUMKIT MIXING? :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@echoopera said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

YES I KNOW BUT WHAT ABOUT THE DRUMKIT MIXING? :)

:) I haven't a bloody clue mate. The spreadsheet is making my mind numb to certain possibilities, so I've settled on the potential of probabilities to hold me over until something better comes along.

• edited February 2020

@Krupa
    When stix runs free (host sync off) it's ok, but in that scenario it's not as useful inside a host.
    For comparison you can f.e record stix or anything else into multitrack triggered by rozeta xox or rhythm those run pretty reliably in sync.

• Actually, I just tried rozeta/ruisfm and it looks worse, actually scratch that, the 808 timing thing was on... a further test shows that while there’s a small offset in the timing, the beats at least look solid... bit gutted with that to be honest, I knew I wasn’t keen on what I was getting out of it but didn’t know why - just put it down to not liking the knob twiddling action on the stix...

• Maybe it is a bug.

I sequence a synth with 32 steps pattern. If a place two notes one behind the other with no space between them sometimes only the first note produce sound and the second is skipped.

• Can you change patterns with midi cc or program change like StepBud?

• @Krupa said:
    Actually, I just tried rozeta/ruisfm and it looks worse, actually scratch that, the 808 timing thing was on... a further test shows that while there’s a small offset in the timing, the beats at least look solid... bit gutted with that to be honest, I knew I wasn’t keen on what I was getting out of it but didn’t know why - just put it down to not liking the knob twiddling action on the stix...

Thanks for doing this.
    Yeah, if the offset is consistent than it's probably plugin not reporting its latency correctly (or at all). With that one can still work(around).

Yeah, the knobs are a bit strange to me too.
    I'm used to use knobs on iOS like:
    Tap - move my finger left or right to see the knob/value - move up/down to adjust value.
    Some devs try to implement a mix of vertical and horizontal adjustment. The knob tries to "guess" how do you want to adjust it, so if your first move is horizontal then it will expect you to carry on like that. Keeping that in mind I'm getting better results. An option would be nice though.