Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which iPad amp sim for bass in particular?

Hey guys,

I am in the market for an amp sim for my iPad. It should have a very nice bass sound, as I will be mainly using it with my bass guitar! If it includes regular guitar tones, even better, but bass is the most important. I have Stark on my radar so far, any other cool suggestions? is there a "king" for amp sim apps on the iPad that I don't know of, haha?

Comments

• edited February 2020

The Ampeg bundles as IAP for Amplitube are both great. They are (quite) often on sale, but well worth it even at full price. By the way, Amplitube CS is free, you have only to buy the bundle(s).

• I thought Stark was very good for bass (but not at all good for guitar). I kinda wish I’d kept it just for bass but I also have ToneStack and Reamp so it felt a bit superfluous.

• I guess any old amp sim will do. Just spend some time on the eq. ToneStack will give you all of the options.

• @Faland said:
    The Ampeg bundles as IAP for Amplitube are both great. They are (quite) often on sale, but well worth it even at full price. By the way, Amplitube CS is free, you have only to buy the bundle(s).

How much are they on sale usually?

• edited February 2020

@christsinfamie said:

@Faland said:

How much are they on sale usually?

50% off, so around 6.99$

• Try the new free Amp Sim called Crunck V2 Guitar Sim. TIP: Turn the GAIN knob to zero and slowly inch it up with all the other knobs at midnight. The range of the GAIN is amazing. There add pre- post- FX from your AUv3 tool chest to season it. Just do GAIN first. The knobs are so powerful and they can dial in almost any tone. They throw in some free FX too to make the stand-alone more compelling and get that IAP business rolling.

Crunck V2 will probably only be free for a bit longer.

• I’m honestly pretty satisfied with the Tonestack bass stuff

• JamUp, Tonestack, AmpKit. All good and they have similar choices for heads, cabinets and effects.
    You’ll be able to add IAP’s for guitar too if you choose.

• JamUp bass expansion pack is pretty good, and the ampeg plug in for Amplitube is good as well (but to me not as good as the Ampeg on Amplitube 5 on the mac). Will you be using it just for practice or as the preamp of a live rig?

Garageband amp sim isn't bad either. They are all cheap enough to try a few & see which one suits your style.

• @thumbslapper said:
    the ampeg plug in for Amplitube is good as well (but to me not as good as the Ampeg on Amplitube 5 on the mac).

Oh, no amp sim even comes close to Amplitube 5 (also because it doesn't exist ... yet). 😋

• Amplitube with the ampeg collection on ipad is the best to my ears (I am also a bassist). I have every app with bass amps in it, but that’s the one that has stayed. I use it on mac as well.

• edited February 2020

Some folks here like to work inside AUM or DAWs and
    TB Equalizer + TB Barricade + Thafknar (That fkn NAme Reverb) for speaker cabinet emulation can get you very far (in terms of an endless amount of possible tones).

We could start a preset sharing thread for bass tones!

• @rs2000 said:
    TB Equalizer + TB Barricade + Thafknar (That fkn NAme Reverb) for speaker cabinet emulation can get you very far (in terms of an endless amount of possible tones).

That sounds fun. I’m in. Full disclosure though. I’ve never shared a preset so I’ll need the skinny on how that is done.

• @Ben said:

@rs2000 said:

That sounds fun. I’m in. Full disclosure though. I’ve never shared a preset so I’ll need the skinny on how that is done.

In AUM, tap-hold a preset and choose "Share".

• BTW (apologies for being slightly off topic) but what do you guys use for interface between the bass/guitar and the ipad?

I have a RME babyface which is cool but not bus powered so if any of you have suggestions for good sounding, stable, bus-powered solutions it would be great.

• @Instrumental_reason said:
    BTW (apologies for being slightly off topic) but what do you guys use for interface between the bass/guitar and the ipad?

I have a RME babyface which is cool but not bus powered so if any of you have suggestions for good sounding, stable, bus-powered solutions it would be great.

I have the Steinberg UR44.

• Sorry to bump an old thread but I’m looking for a bass amp ios too. Any bass players have some advice? I like th-u for guitar so don’t know if anything is on there that people are into - I’ve never really looked out for bass specific amps. I have rhino or whatever it is and it’s just a load of gain and noise to my ears 😂 so something where I can achieve lots of nice subtle tones as well would be cool

I probably have a few but I can’t remember. I feel like th-u and nembrini are the best amps on iOS and I have some fender vintage irs from ownhammer. I do see people mentioning amplitube now and then… I just got put off as it used to be dreadful. I’m not a fan of bias/tonestack either for my personal taste.

• There have been a few additions since my last post up the thread about 3.5 years ago.
    Bass Deluxe, Nembrini Bass Driver and Nembrini Black Ice Beta Gamma.
    Bass Deluxe is the least expensive and most transparent to my ears. I usually load that up when the bass isn’t going to be featured in the song.
    The Nembrini’s are good but may take a little more fiddling but will give you more color.

• wimwim
    edited October 2023

I like the Nembrini Blackice Beta Gamma a lot. It can achieve a wide range of tones without sucking all the dynamics out of your playing.

(Ironically, I have this $70 Danelectro bass practice amp that has the sweetest tone I've ever found out of its RCA jack output straight into the iPad. That's the standard I measure bass amp sims against. So take what I say with a HUGE grain of salt. 😂)

• @wim said:
    I like the Nembrini Blackice Beta Gamma a lot. It can achieve a wide range of tones without sucking all the dynamics out of your playing.

(Ironically, I have this $70 Danelectro bass practice amp that has the sweetest tone I've ever found out of its RCA jack output straight into the iPad. That's the standard I measure bass amp sims against. So take what I say with a HUGE grain of salt. 😂)

Relate to the practice amp thing so much. Had a20 quid 10 watt guitar one that just paired with a Gordon smith so well.

Has anyone tried playing the bass parts with guitar then shifting it 12 down? I saw a couple of videos of people trying it. One was not great not bad, but the second one was excellent. Possibly a better guitar setting to begin with

I wish iBassist would let you just use it as an instrument. I tried to get it playing a pre ting midi part in logic earlier but couldn’t. I really cant stand sequencing stuff from the beginning.

• wimwim
    edited October 2023

@wingwizard said:
    I wish iBassist would let you just use it as an instrument. I tried to get it playing a pre ting midi part in logic earlier but couldn’t. I really cant stand sequencing stuff from the beginning.

I don't care for the sounds enough to use it as an instrument. There are so many better sounding bass plugins available.

Or did you mean recording live midi to a pattern?

• edited October 2023

@wim said:

@wingwizard said:

I'm not fond enough of the sounds to use it as an instrument. There are sooo many better sounding bass plugins out there.

What are your favourites if you get time? At the moment I can’t find anythung i like. I’ve been trying to mess about WUTH thé picked bass in logic. And also convince someone on Pianobook to reformat somethung for decent sampler. I really want to find that solid but squidgy fat sound

• wimwim
    edited October 2023

@wingwizard said:

Relate to the practice amp thing so much. Had a20 quid 10 watt guitar one that just paired with a Gordon smith so well.

Every few years I convince myself I must be nuts and I get the thing out to compare, only to find that yes ... that is definitely my ideal sound both through the speaker and into a DAW. I'm so glad I'm not gigging anymore. I'd be laughed out of the house for showing up with that thing. 😂

• @wingwizard said:
    Has anyone tried playing the bass parts with guitar then shifting it 12 down? I saw a couple of videos of people trying it. One was not great not bad, but the second one was excellent. Possibly a better guitar setting to begin with

It never really sounds as good as a bass guitar, so not really something I have ever repeated. If you have access to a good set of bass guitar samples that would sound better than a pitched down guitar.

• Thanks for the bass deluxe tip. I have the tone one but I hadn’t tried it - just a long time amassing apps while not doing music. It’s a really really excellent tight clean amp.

• One thing I’m thinking of doing, sometime, is using sample robot or something to make a sample instrument out of one or more of the bass sounds in east west composer cloud, then bring to audio layer if I can work it out. Didn’t work with exs files or whatever they’re called when I tried yesterday though it’s supposed to. But I really really don’t know what I’m doing with this. It would be a great way to get some weird instruments on iPad. I think sampleronot doesn’t use round robins though

• wimwim
    edited October 2023

@wingwizard said:

I'll sometimes do that to get a quick bass part going without having to switch instruments, but I wouldn't be happy with the sound for anything beyond just jamming. There can be tracking problems, and you sort of have to play in a stilted kind of way. Palm muting other strings and playing near the bridge helps sometimes, depending on the guitar.

I would always come back and re-record anything I did that way if I wanted to keep it. Still, it can be good for inspiration in the moment, and satisfying enough for live looping, I guess.

• I did hear someone saying that they’d used the sampletank basses and they were really good. I used to have sampletank but I thought it was dreadful. I don’t know if I tried the basses. If they are actually good I could use that app that creates a sample instrument on iPad to make them (AU through audio layer. But.. I’m skeptical. The beathawk ones are pretty thin

• wimwim
    edited October 2023

@wingwizard said:

@wim said:

@wingwizard said:

I'm not fond enough of the sounds to use it as an instrument. There are sooo many better sounding bass plugins out there.

What are your favourites if you get time? At the moment I can’t find anythung i like. I’ve been trying to mess about WUTH thé picked bass in logic. And also convince someone on Pianobook to reformat somethung for decent sampler. I really want to find that solid but squidgy fat sound

For non electronic bass I always fall back to Bassalicious 2 or Pure Synth Platinum. They're "good enough" for my purposes. I don't pay a huge amount of attention to bass tone if it's going into a mix though, so I'm not a good one to ask.

• Nobody as mentioned Mammoth. It is very versatile and sounds good.