Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best way to tempo / shuffle-swing sync multiple apps in AB AUM APE

I'm closing in on the setup I'm going to use for live techno mayhem, but am having some issues syncing across multiple apps. For example, using Apematrix, Seekbeats, PSA... Seekbeats is noticeably behind PSA, about a32nd or 64th note behind.

Is there a way to delay clock or somehow nudge or align sync for different apps?

Also, would love advice on the best way to align swing amounts across apps as well. I realize this is a tall order, just curious what peoples methods for this are. It would be awesome to eventually see some sort of 'universal swing' protocol that apps could use, maybe tied in with LiveLink or ???

Anyhow, LMK your thoughts.

Comments

• This reeks of the other thread discussing latency and out of sync apps. I think they were discussing Loopy HD having a similar issue, running slightly behind.
    I fear it is going to take a genius in the ways of latency to guide us all out of this mess.

I checked Seekbeats and only found buffer size adjustment. Mine was set at 1024! I couldn’t find a latency adjustment setting.

What tempo are you working at? If you slow your tempo down, like half, does the perceived note duration delay remain constant 32nd -64th notes? Or does it sound more like really short 64th - 128th note delay. If it’s the first choice, it most likely is a sync issue, running behind the beat slightly. If it is the second choice, it is most likely related to buffers/latency, since the discrete time period stayed the same at half tempo. It sounded relatively shorter in the context of the slower tempo.

I am just trying to reason here, and take a logical approach to figuring this madness out. I am not the latency genius you are looking for. B)

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot I switched to Link and it sorted the issue, so its some sort of clock sync lag specifically with Seekbeats, I didn't notice it elsewhere yet. I'll keep plugging away at it and hopefully get something predictable at least...

I really hope LiveLink continues to get more robust with features - slip, swing, nudge, transport... It could really help us over here in App land :) Plus - they could sell us more shit, like 'groove templates' etc... Come on guys, take my money!!!

• Avoid midi clock for software apps . By nature , on cpu load it drifts .
    Link ( especially v3 ) or IAA sync is recommended

• I’m dying for a way to apply some type of universal swing or even just the same amount of swing on the same value system to each instrument in my AUM sessions. Almost every app has a different way of defining or applying swing so it’s extremely hard to match it between several instruments in an AUM session. I use swing, if even just a little, on almost every session. So a way to do this would be awesome, and very much needed/appreciated.

So Just to make sure, does anyone know if there is any way to apply the same swing to all running instruments in AUM? Or AB3? I know you can do this in a DAW but I mostly work in AUM.

• Humm... you don’t mention what’s doing the sequencing. Adjusting swing would require the midi to pass through a filter. So, you could apply swing to notes coming from, say, Rozeta and Atom, on their way to the apps they’re playing. But, you couldn’t apply swing to an app’s internal arpeggiator for instance, because it never leaves the app.

• HeyMetronome!
    999 bpm
    Play
    Triplets
    Shuffle
    Decrease tempo by 879
    Stop

https://audiokitpro.com/hey-metronome/

AB3 feeding AUM would be my recommendation for hosting, link support (including play/stop) is granted to anything with a play button from AB.

The recordings will be neatly organised inside AudioShare thanks to AUM.

If you stick to apps that support state saving then everything can be recalled by saving an Audiobus project. I think AB3 does this automatically but giving these useful names is recommended.

• If I’m in AUM and I’m using say a Digistix (with internal sequencer and swing) Octatrack triggering a Ruismaker, and a Rozeta cells triggering Zeeon, Mozaic triggering something else.

I want to apply the same amount of swing to each instrument in AUM.

Atom has a swing?

• @Poppadocrock said:
    If I’m in AUM and I’m using say a Digistix (with internal sequencer and swing) Octatrack triggering a Ruismaker, and a Rozeta cells triggering Zeeon, Mozaic triggering something else.

Atom has a swing?

Nope.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    If I’m in AUM and I’m using say a Digistix (with internal sequencer and swing) Octatrack triggering a Ruismaker, and a Rozeta cells triggering Zeeon, Mozaic triggering something else.

The best way to do it would be to adjust the swing level for each AUv3 separately, either in the sequencer track or in the receiver, in case it's synced to a master clock.
    Doing swing by "swinging" the synchronization clock is not the way to go IMHO because it's not made for such fast changes in timing.

• @Poppadocrock said:

Nothing is going to tame that. There’s just no way.

But, swing is supposed to be loose and “by feel”. Trying to get it perfectly coordinated is way over thinking it. IMO.

• @wim said:

But, swing is supposed to be loose and “by feel”. Trying to get it perfectly coordinated is way over thinking it. IMO.

I don't think its overthinking it, swing is hugely important in music, and 'not feeling live' is one of the big things people prop up as reasons to snub electronic music.

I used to create a lot of music in Maschine, and felt it had a really good feel with its swing. I like having the same swing across all instrument channels - which is why I mostly stick to BM3 to create dance tracks now.

If in AUM I tend to do everything with Rozeta for the main reason that you can set the same swing for multiple midi sources.

The original point of this post was to just voice a future dream of some sort of 'Universal' swing that can effect the overall clock timing of the host and all plugs. I know this is a tall order, but I also think it is something quite valuable if DEVs could sort it out.

Cheers

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

Good luck with your dream. I won’t be interested in employing it but will be fascinated to have been there to see you succeed if you do.

Call me old fashioned, but I see people doin’ swing in their own imperfect ways, not a bunch of robots linked to the master brain executing their code.

To each his own! That’s the beauty of art. Best of luck! B)

@scottsunn said:

I don't think its overthinking it, swing is hugely important in music, and 'not feeling live' is one of the big things people prop up as reasons to snub electronic music.

Strange. To me you’re making my point. Ah well, no esta importante. -cheers

• I would have thought the only way to successfully do what you’re after is to record all the midi into an app like Xequence and trigger all the instruments from the one sequencer.

I’d doubt you would get two different sequencers to ever agree on what a particular swing setting Actually is let alone sync them.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@klownshed said:
    I would have thought the only way to successfully do what you’re after is to record all the midi into an app like Xequence and trigger all the instruments from the one sequencer.

I’d doubt you would get two different sequencers to ever agree on what a particular swing setting Actually is let alone sync them.

Even in Xequence 2, swing is per track. I don’t think there’s a global swing, unless I’ve overlooked it.

• @scottsunn @wim @klownshed
    I think that MIDI sequencers do swing per track or per clip for a reason.
    The human "feel" not only consists of overall timing shifts but also shifts between different tracks, or it will sound artificially bouncy.

• @wim said:

@klownshed said:
    I would have thought the only way to successfully do what you’re after is to record all the midi into an app like Xequence and trigger all the instruments from the one sequencer.

Even in Xequence 2, swing is per track. I don’t think there’s a global swing, unless I’ve overlooked it.

Yes, but you can set the same swing on all the tracks you want swing on, and they will all be in sync. Setting swing in different sequencers might not match up or sync.

• You could probably get Mozaik to do this. Might be worth asking on one of the Mozaik threads.

Swing is quite tricky to define though, so maybe not.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@cian said:
    You could probably get Mozaik to do this. Might be worth asking on one of the Mozaik threads.

No, that actually can't be done. The OP was about apps with their own internal swing and trying to coordinate all those. In order for Mozaic or any other app to do anything, MIDI has to pass through it. But that midi never leaves these apps before affecting their timing. The only way to accomplish the synchronization that @scottsunn is after is to sequence everything externally, and not to use any app's internal sequencing. Or for all app developers to coordinate somehow on an agreed approach to swing.

Short of that, the only way I can think of for something like what @scottsunn wants is for Ableton to come up with some sort of Link Swing, or for MIDI v.3 to define a MIDI Clock Swing standard or something.

• No you could do it, but you just wouldn't set swing on any of your apps. Basically you'd filter midi with Mozaik, and then you'd delay each event based upon where it was in the beat. Not saying it would be easy, but I've done something like this in the past on the desktop.

• @wim said:

@cian said:
    You could probably get Mozaik to do this. Might be worth asking on one of the Mozaik threads.

No, that actually can't be done. The OP was about apps with their own internal swing and trying to coordinate all those. In order for Mozaic or any other app to do anything, MIDI has to pass through it. But that midi never leaves these apps before affecting their timing. The only way to accomplish the synchronization that @scottsunn is after is to sequence everything externally, and not to use any app's internal sequencing. Or for all app developers to coordinate somehow on an agreed approach to swing.

Short of that, the only way I can think of for something like what @scottsunn wants is for Ableton to come up with some sort of Link Swing, or for MIDI v.3 to define a MIDI Clock Swing standard or something.

Ableton link swing is the future

• So is robotics. So, I guess you're right.

• I haven’t found anything that can get it done as well as just turning off quantize and swinging it myself