Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ravenscroft glitchiness in NS2

I'm hoping that there are some users here with experience with Ravenscroft in NanoStudio 2.

I just purchased Ravenscroft and was trying to record a track with it in NS (it is my only Auv3 in the project). After some trouble on my old iPhone SE (which usually has no problem at all with a multitude of Auv3 plugins in NS2 all going at once), I switched over to my first gen iPad Pro.

Things generally went a bit better, but I'm still get some glitchy sounds (mostly when using the sustain pedal) and some cut-outs of notes. Does anyone know if there are optimal setting for Ravenscroft when used as a plugin? I can't imagine that my iPad Pro isn't up to the task given that Ravesncroft says it will work as far back as an iPhone 6.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited February 2020

NS2 does not properly support sustain pedal, instead, it blocks CC64 and emulates it extending the duration of MIDI note events and overlapping new notes in case you hit the key several times while the sustain pedal is pressed. This causes serious issues with several piano plugins as they are not capable of properly handling several “note ON” events without the previous “note OFF” event. Some plugins like Neo Soul Keys don’t even work on NS2 when you press the sustain pedal, and some others sound really weird or with glitches as you are experiencing with R275.

Unfortunately, there’s no known workaround at the moment, unless NS2 is fixed to work as any other host/DAW (just passing through CC64 to the plugin and letting it manage it as needed)

• Thank you for the feedback @Rodolfo ! Very interesting and informative, and it also very accurately explains what I was hearing.

• There’s a thread on the sustain pedal subject on the NS2 forum. One of the last posts is my detailed explanation on why it doesn’t work. Hopefully the dev will fix it some day.

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/130/using-sustain-pedal-with-nanostudio/p2

• edited February 2020

Ha. What about the Ravenscroft glitchiness in Cubasis 3? *** earth explodes into a cloud of black and white keys ***

• You can reduce the polyphony in Ravenscroft settings, that will also force-cut notes.
    Reduce down to 20 voices and try again.

• @LeonKowalski said:
    Ha. What about the Ravenscroft glitchiness in Cubasis 3? *** earth explodes into a cloud of black and white keys ***

That’s a different issue. R275 is very CPU intensive and for the long threads on this forum I understand that Cubasis 3 is still in beta, so I guess it will be eventually fixed.

• This may be a track I need to do in GarageBand (and load Ravenscroft in there). As I much as going from the NS2 to GB MIDI editor makes my head want to explode, I may need to treat this as an old fashioned recording project where each take needs to be as perfect as possible.

• @Rodolfo said:

@LeonKowalski said:

That’s a different issue. R275 is very CPU intensive and for the long threads on this forum I understand that Cubasis 3 is still in beta, so I guess it will be eventually fixed.

I understand all of that. Just want to take every possible cheap opportunity to express my frustration... (I really want C3 to be great, and I want it to be great NOW!) 🤬😉

• @Rodolfo said:
    NS2 does not properly support sustain pedal, instead, it blocks CC64 and emulates it extending the duration of MIDI note events and overlapping new notes in case you hit the key several times while the sustain pedal is pressed. This causes serious issues with several piano plugins as they are not capable of properly handling several notes ON events without the previous note OFF event. Some plugins like Neo Soul Keys don’t even work on NS2 when you press the sustain pedal, and some others sound really weird or with glitches as you are experiencing with R275.

Unfortunately, there’s no known workaround at the moment, unless NS2 is fixed to work as any other host/DAW (just passing through CC64 to the plugin and letting it manage it as needed)

Uhh.

Assuming that @deny already knows and is working behind the scenes?
    :)

• edited February 2020

@tja said:

@Rodolfo said:
    NS2 does not properly support sustain pedal, instead, it blocks CC64 and emulates it extending the duration of MIDI note events and overlapping new notes in case you hit the key several times while the sustain pedal is pressed. This causes serious issues with several piano plugins as they are not capable of properly handling several notes ON events without the previous note OFF event. Some plugins like Neo Soul Keys don’t even work on NS2 when you press the sustain pedal, and some others sound really weird or with glitches as you are experiencing with R275.

Uhh.

Assuming that @deny already knows and is working behind the scenes?
    :)

They all know about this for sure, including the dev, but I understand that audio tracks and some other features are a priority, which is reasonable.
    I’m not even sure wether this issue is in their official list of things to be fixed or not, but I don’t lose hope. I bought NS2 with all IAPs when it was launched and it turned to be useless for me (I play piano with a real keyboard in most of my tracks).

• I’m not even sure wether this issue is in their official list of things to be fixed or not, but I don’t lose hope. I bought NS2 with all IAPs when it was launched and it turned to be useless for me (I play piano with a real keyboard in most of my tracks).

I remember reading that it was - it's just lower on the priority list than audio tracks, and some of the AU3 issues. Which is probably fair.

• @cian said:

I’m not even sure wether this issue is in their official list of things to be fixed or not, but I don’t lose hope. I bought NS2 with all IAPs when it was launched and it turned to be useless for me (I play piano with a real keyboard in most of my tracks).

I remember reading that it was - it's just lower on the priority list than audio tracks, and some of the AU3 issues. Which is probably fair.

Agree, they need to add audio tracks first, and probably some AU fixes as you mention. Hopefully they will fix the sustain pedal issue some day.

• I did not know any of this about NS2. Quite a significant, and surprising, problem for anyone who plays keyboards other than just synths.

• @TimRussell said:
    I did not know any of this about NS2. Quite a significant, and surprising, problem for anyone who plays keyboards other than just synths.

Not as surprising as when it first came out with no sustain support at all and all the beta-testers were completely taken off guard - not one of them having thought it was important. :D