Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi keyboard controller app with infinite release feature - does something like this exist?

Hi Guys, Hoping for some help from people more knowledgable than me about this stuff. I have tried searching, but it's not a very easy thing to google, and seems like a bit of a weird feature.

I would like to find a midi controller keyboard app (just basically a normal on-screen keyboard) that will send note-on messages when you press a key, then not send a note off until you press another key. So basically you press a note and release it and the note continues playing, infinitely, until you press another note, then the first note turns off and the second plays (whether you hold it or not) infinitely.

So, it would sort of be like a monophonic synth, but also with an infinite sustain (release) setting.

Anything that can do this? Alternately, any synth that can do this?

Thanks!

PS For anyone wondering, what I'd like to be able to do is have the output running into a kill switch foot pedal. I will rhythmically "play" whatever note is coming out of the iPad with by tapping my foot, while keeping my hands free to do other stuff - occasionally I will reach over and tap a different note to play with my foot, while I keep my hands free for other tweaking and whatnot.

Comments

• @Captainjc said:
    Hi Guys, Hoping for some help from people more knowledgable than me about this stuff. I have tried searching, but it's not a very easy thing to google, and seems like a bit of a weird feature.

I would like to find a midi controller keyboard app (just basically a normal on-screen keyboard) that will send note-on messages when you press a key, then not send a note off until you press another key. So basically you press a note and release it and the note continues playing, infinitely, until you press another note, then the first note turns off and the second plays (whether you hold it or not) infinitely.

So, it would sort of be like a monophonic synth, but also with an infinite sustain (release) setting.

Anything that can do this? Alternately, any synth that can do this?

Thanks!

PS For anyone wondering, what I'd like to be able to do is have the output running into a kill switch foot pedal. I will rhythmically "play" whatever note is coming out of the iPad with by tapping my foot, while keeping my hands free to do other stuff - occasionally I will reach over and tap a different note to play with my foot, while I keep my hands free for other tweaking and whatnot.

I think you'd need to write a script. KB-1 has latch but that works as a toggle. You might request a Mozaic script in the request thread. Someone might volunteer to write one if one doesn't already exist.

• edited February 2020

• edited February 2020

Code for streambyter @Captainjc

this app is free

# auto chord hold by audeonic
        IF LOAD
          ASS L80 = 0 # held note count
        END

9X XX 00 = 8X
        IF MT == 90
          # new note on
          IF L80 == 0
            # issue/reset pending note offs
            ASS I0 = 0
            MAT I1 = 80 + MC
            IF I0 <= 7F +L
              # send pending note off
              IF LI0 == 1
                SND I1 I0 00
                ASS LI0 = 0
              END
              MAT I0 = I0 + 1
            END
          END
          # increment held count
          MAT L80 = L80 + 1
        END

# handle note off
        IF MT == 80
          MAT L80 = L80 - 1 # decrement
          ASS LM1 = 1 # mark as pending
          XX = XX +B # block note off
        END

• edited February 2020

Wow, amazing Shiro thanks! First time using Streambyter so maybe I am doing something wrong, but this doesn't seem to work as I had hoped. I've tried a few different apps, most recently, bs-16i > streambyter > DXi. It does hold the note after I release the key, but it doesn't seem to send note off to the previous note. IE I end up with a whole mess of droning notes. In my ideal scenario, it would only be able to play one note at a time. Maybe even send an all note off just before each note-on.

• edited February 2020

I had to code something like that for a MIDI bagpipe controller, where every change in fingering is simultaneously a note off of previous note followed by note on of new note. Both events can be sent in the same message if note off is sent as note on with velocity 0.

In this case, I think your adapter script should completely ignore any note offs (or note on w/0 velocity) it receives from the keyboard.

The only state that matters is the previous note on event.

• @Captainjc said:
    Wow, amazing Shiro thanks! First time using Streambyter so maybe I am doing something wrong, but this doesn't seem to work as I had hoped. I've tried a few different apps, most recently, bs-16i > streambyter > DXi. It does hold the note after I release the key, but it doesn't seem to send note off to the previous note. IE I end up with a whole mess of droning notes. In my ideal scenario, it would only be able to play one note at a time. Maybe even send an all note off just before each note-on.

• @Captainjc said:

It works fine for me. As your first test -- if you have AUM -- load the script into streambyter. Route the internal keyboard to streambyter. route streambyter's output to your synth. Play a note on the internal keyboard and it should start a note playing on the synth. Play another note on your synth. A new note will start playing. Make sure that the keyboard is only routed to streambyter and not to your synth also.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

There is an app called MIDIFlow Keyboard that has a mode called Unisono that does this. It's not an AU, but rather designed to be used in AudioBus.

[edit] actually though, I'm not sure that would work with the foot-switch.

• @mojozart said:
    I had to code something like that for a MIDI bagpipe controller, where every change in fingering is simultaneously a note off of previous note followed by note on of new note. Both events can be sent in the same message if note off is sent as note on with velocity 0.

In this case, I think your adapter script should completely ignore any note offs (or note on w/0 velocity) it receives from the keyboard.

The only state that matters is the previous note on event.

...oh Danny boy, the synths, the synths are droning

• Will try all suggestions later tonight. Appreciate all the help. Do you think it has to be in audiobus to work? I was just trying it with core midi (setting midi ins/outs within the apps), which seemed like it should work. I can switch to ab if you guys think that is less likely to have issues.

• @Captainjc said:
    Will try all suggestions later tonight. Appreciate all the help. Do you think it has to be in audiobus to work? I was just trying it with core midi (setting midi ins/outs within the apps), which seemed like it should work. I can switch to ab if you guys think that is less likely to have issues.

I was using it in AUM. Audiobus or ApeMatrix would work just as well. Or maybe streambyer as standalone (though I never use it that way).

You need to make sure that you aren't using apps that always read the midi from connected hardware--or if you do make sure that they aren't listening to the midi channel your controller sends.

• Yeah I guess I was doing it stand-alone. I had one app that was receiving midi from Streambyter (and not sending) and one that was only sending to Streambyter. Will have to try some different configurations.

• What apps? Some standalone apps always listen to hardware no matter what you do. In that case this solution won’t work.

• edited February 2020

Hey Guys, Thanks everyone for all your help. Not sure why I couldn't get the Streambyter to work, but I tried this MidiFlow Keyboard app and the Unisono Hold is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the suggestion @wim! (The audio is just passing through the footswitch so no problem there.)

• Glad you got a solution. I am super curious why the script didn't work for you.

• Yean, I dunno. You could try it with Streambyter stand alone I guess and see if you have any issues. Could certainly be user error, but I thought I had all the routing right and tried a handful of different apps. In any case, good to know about Streambyter as it may come in handy in the future.