Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

One Major iOS Production work flow killer 😤😤

edited February 2020 in General App Discussion

Hi everyone.
Got a quick question.
How hard is it to add a preview function when importing samples while using apps as AUv3 ?
With iPadOS 13 you can connect hard drives to your iPad, Create GarageBand projects directly on your external drive, but if you have samples on your external drive and want to import them into AUv3s that don’t have drag and drop function , it becomes a nightmare, because you can’t preview samples with the pop Files App.
Why haven’t Apple implemented this yet? All you can do is tap on import and hope the sample is the right one.😤😤😤
Took me minutes to find a single 808 sample, because I couldn’t preview while trying to import in AudioLayer.

If you interested to see the beat, here the video
😊

Comments

• @Paa89 said:
    Hi everyone.
    Got a quick question.
    How hard is it to add a preview function when importing samples while using apps as AUv3 ?
    With iPadOS 13 you can connect hard drives to your iPad, Create GarageBand projects directly on your external drive, but if you have samples on your external drive and want to import them into AUv3s that don’t have drag and drop function , it becomes a nightmare.
    Why haven’t Apple implemented this yet? All you can do is tap on import and hope the sample is the right one.😤😤😤
    Took me minutes to find a single 808 sample, because I couldn’t preview while trying to import in AudioLayer.

iOS is kind of deficient in this respect. The Auditor app has a customized Files browser that lets you preview audio

• Yep. Auditor.

• No. It’s another reason sampling is in a terrible state on iOS currently, IMO.

• @papertiger said:
    No. It’s another reason sampling is in a terrible state on iOS currently, IMO.

Yes, and the minute we decide to step into music making on the iPad, we know that it's not going to be anything like a classic desktop DAW environment.
    You'll be disappointed all the time if you expect all the bells and whistles you know from desktop apps.
    It's more about finding ways that work like sampling directly inside AudioLayer, using AudioShare or Readdle Documents to preview and zip files or using apps in the first place that can sample and edit samples properly like Nanostudio 2 or Beatmaker 3.

BTW, why AudioLayer, isn't Cubasis 3 supposed to include a great sampler already?

• edited February 2020

@Paa89 said:
    Hi everyone.
    Got a quick question.

That's not the way you import samples into AudioLayer. You rather build complete kits for it and use them, or you sample directly inside AL.
    Or just select and import all samples you wanna preview from Files app into AL and preview them there, then delete the unwanted.
    Or use Cubasis 3's built-in sampler in case you don't want to switch DAWs either.

• @rs2000 said:

@Paa89 said:
    Hi everyone.
    Got a quick question.

That's not the way you import samples into AudioLayer. You rather build complete kits for it and use them, or you sample directly inside AL.
    Or just select and import all samples you wanna preview from Files app into AL and preview them there, then delete the unwanted.
    Or use Cubasis 3's built-in sampler in case you don't want to switch DAWs either.

You can also import samples into AudioLayer this way.i use to have my samples in Cubasis, I would preview and use Audio copy to paste board, when I had AudioLayer set to iCloud storage, but I had to turn that off because I have some huge AudioLayer instruments and can’t relay on iCloud all the time, that’s also a Work flow killer and plus there is no way to reduce Cubasis media bay volume so sometimes my project volume will be different from the iPads volume and previewing samples while you have headphones on will f**k your ears up.
    Cubasis 3 built in sampler is yet to come, don’t know if there’s been any Changes to Cubasis 2 sampler.
    I like Cubasis and have to stick with it and hope some fast work around comes.

• @papertiger said:
    No. It’s another reason sampling is in a terrible state on iOS currently, IMO.

Just so sad

• edited February 2020

@Paa89 No offence to you but its really not that bad As others have said there are preview option in Audioshare then just import to wherever. If your doing sample heavy music then bm3 has preview in its Browser. Sorted. Peace
    Did you ever own a zip drive attached to an akai mpc? iOS is treat compared to the way we had to find samples in the past.

• edited February 2020

@gusgranite said:
    Yep. Auditor.

that may even be "game changing" for me. Thanks @espiegel123 and @gusgranite for pointing this out!
    Just purchased Auditor and you can use it as your file browser in slide over view, preview your samples with the speaker icon enabled, and then drag and drop for example directly on to a pad in an AU instance of EG Pulse in Cubasis!

• edited February 2020

iOS gets worse with every iteration over the last few years. It’s as much of a mess as windows now, feeling like about four different ideas for the same os overlapping, all te simplicity and elegance lost. They just have no idea how to add new functions without cocking everythung up. Rant over. No wait, the worst thing, and most staggering to me, is just how appalling simole things like moving icons around is now. It’s so finicky, used to be perfect and now everything deselects or selects after weird time pauses, menus jump up, which is completely counter to the whole touch simplicity ethos, and trying to move an icon to the edge of a folder or screen continually makes the whole thing shift to te next page, it’s almost impossible. Awful, awful ui and astonished me that they release it like this, and someone must actually have tested it. There’s other stuff almost everywhere you look, like breaking safari, try to move a tab now - used to be easy and a joy to do, now everything jumps about and you cannot move a tab where you want as they don’t scroll properly and anywhere near the edge of the screen starts triggering side display thing, so you have to move it three tabs in, which is as far as you can go... That’s not to mention breaking the mail aPp.

And breathe.

There are some very simply things ios should have been able to do years ago as every other proper os on earth does (ok maybe some mobile ones not so much but ios is evolving beyond that or claimin to be). The issue is they move toward a full fledged os with some weird mental block as though they’re reaching for it while still standing in a mobile os approach for some reason. The things that should have changed are incredibly simple.

-Jesus Christ, typing, being able to type select places in words with any kind of functionality, select words Etc... it’s absolutely the worst typing experience on any existing platform. Every single function is broken and takes ages to do something simole, or triggers other things time after time as it’s so poorly designed. Selecting places in words, selecting text it’s all hell on earth particularly if you are a writer. The magnifier thing has always been a dreadful idea and far too time consuming but has only got worse since.
    - functional files folders. Files app is broken, doesn’t move copy Etc or do anything consistently or reliably.
    - Keep everything simple, touch and move, not these insane increments of time holding which is frustrating and tedious while also triggering stuff at intervals of a second so very hard to judge. Same applies to triggering stuff at edges of screen. The whole of ios is now at odds with itself, as some moron decided to incorporate things that conflict with existing design. All people want to do is be able to put their finger on apps and move them around as they like. Which brings me onto...
    - This one is unbelievable... but the lack of control you have, is something that’s conditioned into users as acceptable. Maybe in a small mobile app but it’s laughable on iPad. Stuff like icon size... and the invisible grid, this is ridiculous and makes Apple dictate to you how you have to arrange your workflows.
    - On this subject, the way folders work is utterly idiotic. Why even bother allowing you to put apps in a folder if you can’t control it in an organised way, te folders are just semi useless bags you have to toss apps in all jumbled up. If I have 40 synths, I want to be able to put in a folder with sub folders, which would be extremely easy to do in a visual way, touch folder, it brings up si folders.. but no no, instead I have to throw them all in with 9 on a screen, and take forever browsing, or make separate folders for diff makers or types of synths and clutter up the home screen making it impossible to remember where everything is.
    - - just... everythung, AppStore wishlist is not arrangeable in any useable way.. this applies across the board to all aspects of iOS. They stumble the minute they try to make things customizable in very simple ways Windows has been doing for decades.

I do love ios but it was at a point about 8 years ago where it was ready to evolve and instead it’s kept all te basic and extremely limiting aspects, and made everything worse and counter intuitive by losing its simplicity. The way they tried to incorporate multitasking with that unusable side menu of thousands of apps you had to scroll through was a perfect example. They need much much better ui designers as it feels like they have no idea how to use an os at the moment. Even current multitasking is clumsy and annoying. Multitasking is obviously an improvement but I’m not going to be as ecstatic as Apple seemed about the poorly implemented inclusion of an incredibly basic os function that should have been in place anyway.

At the moment, they also buggered up swiping apps away with multitasking, with it being a huge chore trying to get apps to stop displaying as te side app - close down both apps go to home screen reopen apps, otherwise every time you try to open an app that was previously displayed minimised it brings up both it and the app against which it was minimised Etc Etc. I can’t even remember all te variations on this but I’m tired of trying to remember which possible route leads to what should have been the easiest and most intuitively accesses result all the time, whenever trying to do anything.

I used to love using ios now I find gestures and things trigger the wrong functions half the time are very capricious... even swiping up to See all open apps is very jumpy and usually closes everything. I think they’ve introduced functions with trigger points very close to each other so nothing is particularly useable now and it feels random unless you are extremely deliberate and careful all te time. I never used to ave to be so incredible careful constantly - it was intuitive , which is the cachet of good design.

A simple example is trying to get to the volume controls Etc whatever they call that screen overlay. It’s just annoying having to swipe a certain part of the screen... when this applies to every other function to so you have to memorize all these invisible areas. It feels ugly and complex and inelegant now to navigate or use, like some gross formless overgrown barnacle ridden thing with no centre. If there are limitations they need to at least exist to define te character of te os as an explanation, which is arrogant and irritating enough, but ios has none, just conflicting aspects. It’s that transition they so badly fail at.

Ok rant actually over.

• I thougt what if AudioShare would have ableton Link option so you can preview samples in sync with current project? Can it be lifesaver or gamecharger?

• @wingwizard said:
    iOS gets worse with every iteration over the last few years. It’s as much of a mess as windows now, feeling like about four different ideas for the same os overlapping, all te simplicity and elegance lost. They just have no idea how to add new functions without cocking everythung up. Rant over. No wait, the worst thing, and most staggering to me, is just how appalling simole things like moving icons around is now. It’s so finicky, used to be perfect and now everything deselects or selects after weird time pauses, menus jump up, which is completely counter to the whole touch simplicity ethos, and trying to move an icon to the edge of a folder or screen continually makes the whole thing shift to te next page, it’s almost impossible. Awful, awful ui and astonished me that they release it like this, and someone must actually have tested it. There’s other stuff almost everywhere you look, like breaking safari, try to move a tab now - used to be easy and a joy to do, now everything jumps about and you cannot move a tab where you want as they don’t scroll properly and anywhere near the edge of the screen starts triggering side display thing, so you have to move it three tabs in, which is as far as you can go... That’s not to mention breaking the mail aPp.

And breathe.

There are some very simply things ios should have been able to do years ago as every other proper os on earth does (ok maybe some mobile ones not so much but ios is evolving beyond that or claimin to be). The issue is they move toward a full fledged os with some weird mental block as though they’re reaching for it while still standing in a mobile os approach for some reason. The things that should have changed are incredibly simple.

-Jesus Christ, typing, being able to type select places in words with any kind of functionality, select words Etc... it’s absolutely the worst typing experience on any existing platform. Every single function is broken and takes ages to do something simole, or triggers other things time after time as it’s so poorly designed. Selecting places in words, selecting text it’s all hell on earth particularly if you are a writer. The magnifier thing has always been a dreadful idea and far too time consuming but has only got worse since.
    - functional files folders. Files app is broken, doesn’t move copy Etc or do anything consistently or reliably.
    - Keep everything simple, touch and move, not these insane increments of time holding which is frustrating and tedious while also triggering stuff at intervals of a second so very hard to judge. Same applies to triggering stuff at edges of screen. The whole of ios is now at odds with itself, as some moron decided to incorporate things that conflict with existing design. All people want to do is be able to put their finger on apps and move them around as they like. Which brings me onto...
    - This one is unbelievable... but the lack of control you have, is something that’s conditioned into users as acceptable. Maybe in a small mobile app but it’s laughable on iPad. Stuff like icon size... and the invisible grid, this is ridiculous and makes Apple dictate to you how you have to arrange your workflows.
    - On this subject, the way folders work is utterly idiotic. Why even bother allowing you to put apps in a folder if you can’t control it in an organised way, te folders are just semi useless bags you have to toss apps in all jumbled up. If I have 40 synths, I want to be able to put in a folder with sub folders, which would be extremely easy to do in a visual way, touch folder, it brings up si folders.. but no no, instead I have to throw them all in with 9 on a screen, and take forever browsing, or make separate folders for diff makers or types of synths and clutter up the home screen making it impossible to remember where everything is.
    - - just... everythung, AppStore wishlist is not arrangeable in any useable way.. this applies across the board to all aspects of iOS. They stumble the minute they try to make things customizable in very simple ways Windows has been doing for decades.

I do love ios but it was at a point about 8 years ago where it was ready to evolve and instead it’s kept all te basic and extremely limiting aspects, and made everything worse and counter intuitive by losing its simplicity. The way they tried to incorporate multitasking with that unusable side menu of thousands of apps you had to scroll through was a perfect example. They need much much better ui designers as it feels like they have no idea how to use an os at the moment. Even current multitasking is clumsy and annoying. Multitasking is obviously an improvement but I’m not going to be as ecstatic as Apple seemed about the poorly implemented inclusion of an incredibly basic os function that should have been in place anyway.

At the moment, they also buggered up swiping apps away with multitasking, with it being a huge chore trying to get apps to stop displaying as te side app - close down both apps go to home screen reopen apps, otherwise every time you try to open an app that was previously displayed minimised it brings up both it and the app against which it was minimised Etc Etc. I can’t even remember all te variations on this but I’m tired of trying to remember which possible route leads to what should have been the easiest and most intuitively accesses result all the time, whenever trying to do anything.

I used to love using ios now I find gestures and things trigger the wrong functions half the time are very capricious... even swiping up to See all open apps is very jumpy and usually closes everything. I think they’ve introduced functions with trigger points very close to each other so nothing is particularly useable now and it feels random unless you are extremely deliberate and careful all te time. I never used to ave to be so incredible careful constantly - it was intuitive , which is the cachet of good design.

A simple example is trying to get to the volume controls Etc whatever they call that screen overlay. It’s just annoying having to swipe a certain part of the screen... when this applies to every other function to so you have to memorize all these invisible areas. It feels ugly and complex and inelegant now to navigate or use, like some gross formless overgrown barnacle ridden thing with no centre. If there are limitations they need to at least exist to define te character of te os as an explanation, which is arrogant and irritating enough, but ios has none, just conflicting aspects. It’s that transition they so badly fail at.

Ok rant actually over.

@wingwizard did you write all that on an ipad/iOS if yes then cannot be that bad

• @stormbeats said:

@wingwizard said:

And breathe.

Ok rant actually over.

@wingwizard did you write all that on an ipad/iOS if yes then cannot be that bad

Look at the state of all the typos. Lol. Anyway... needed to vent once. Hopefully they’ll change the ui team sometime and fix it.

• @lazyass said:
    I thougt what if AudioShare would have ableton Link option so you can preview samples in sync with current project? Can it be lifesaver or gamecharger?

This would mean adding time stretching and pitch shifting to AudioShare which I find extremely unlikely, as it hasn't received any of the requested features for a long time.

There's a great alternative however: Import all your sounds into BlocsWave, tag them and use Blocs as your new audio file hub supporting LINK, time stretching and pitch shifting.
    It also works with AAC m4a audio files if you have limited space.
    BlocsWave can export individual loops to other apps.

• @wingwizard said:

And breathe.

Ok rant actually over.

This. 😉

• @purpan2 said:

@wingwizard said:

And breathe.

Ok rant actually over.

This. 😉

I can’t honestly say this is my experience because many of these things work just fine for me. However, the whole side-by-side, multiple apps on the screen, drag and drop samples from app A to app B just does not work. I hear others say it’s great and I’m trying with the same apps they mention but no go. I’ve watched videos and read instructions and no joy. Oh well. At least my rant is not so wordy. 😉

• @stormbeats said:
    @Paa89 No offence to you but its really not that bad As others have said there are preview option in Audioshare then just import to wherever. If your doing sample heavy music then bm3 has preview in its Browser. Sorted. Peace
    Did you ever own a zip drive attached to an akai mpc? iOS is treat compared to the way we had to find samples in the past.

If AudioLayer @VirSyn supported drag and drop, thaat would be 10 times easier.
    unfortunately you can’t drag and drop from AudioShare also.😊

• @gusgranite said:
    Yep. Auditor.

Thanks for the suggestion.. will give auditor a try

• @gosnote said:

@gusgranite said:
    Yep. Auditor.

that may even be "game changing" for me. Thanks @espiegel123 and @gusgranite for pointing this out!
    Just purchased Auditor and you can use it as your file browser in slide over view, preview your samples with the speaker icon enabled, and then drag and drop for example directly on to a pad in an AU instance of EG Pulse in Cubasis!

Seems pretty interesting.will give auditor a try for my drum and drag them into Digistix.
    I just hope Virsyn would add drag and drop so I can do that for other samples too

• @rs2000 Cool, i didn't look this way. By the way, can I add all samples to Blocs Wave at once? I have all drum loops made by humanity, so importing process should be fast

• @wingwizard said:

And breathe.

Ok rant actually over.

Dam that was a long one 🤣🤣 glad I helped you get your rant out with my post.
    Files App is really in beta fase.
    Drag and drop only works when it wants to, Apps like Documents from Readdle work flawlessly.the only issue I have with this app is that when you preview a sample, it automatically plays other samplin the folder.i told them about it and they say they will look into that.
    I have an ssd that used to work with the first iPadOS beta Apple released, but strangely after the second beta, I can’t get it to work on iPad but the ssd works flawlessly with all my iPhones.been to the stores, have had hours of phone time with engineers at Apple but no one seems to know why.
    And I still don’t understand why Audio units can’t access their files app folder.
    Simple thing but they won’t allow it.

• @lazyass said:
    @rs2000 Cool, i didn't look this way. By the way, can I add all samples to Blocs Wave at once? I have all drum loops made by humanity, so importing process should be fast

Here's a good read about importing and file name conventions:
    https://support.ampifymusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360010441579-Audio-Import-guide-for-Launchpad-and-Blocs-Wave

Yes, you can select multiple files in the Files app and import them at once.
    Type (category) and key can also be changed after import by using "Multi-edit" and selecting all respective files.

• @gosnote said:

@gusgranite said:
    Yep. Auditor.

Since Auditor is not available for iPhone, I am thinking are there any alternatives for iPhone similar to Auditor that let you preview audio files without opening a player view? Auditor is super effective with its speaker icon preview enabled as it will let you preview files with one tap while staying in the files list view.