Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sorting out looping stuff

I'm going to use an Octatrack and Digitone for my live setup and I want to use AUM to host various extra FX, as well as Enso for looping into transitions. Thing is, I have NO idea how to set this thing up to do it. Right now, I have the DN going into the OT with the CUE out of the OT going into my iPad. From there, I have a few bus sends to various fx and an enso channel. I haven't been able to figure out how to properly set up Enso for this, and I'm not even sure if AUM/Enso is the right way to go. Any ideas? I'm not interested in using the OT as the recorder/looper just yet (I think).

Comments

• edited February 2020

Which looper you need depends on what you want to do. Fortunately, there aren't too many options in iOS.

I haven't been able to control Enso, and I think it's strength lies in areas where control is not a concern...

I'm a fan of Quantiloop. It can probably do everything you need, and it can even host AUv3 plugin effects if needed.

Other options are Loopy (excellent), Group The Loop, and the new Audiokit L7 Looper

(Is there an iOS looper wiki page somewhere?)

• Out of interest, why do you not want to use the OT for your transition loops ?

• edited February 2020

@slicetwo said:
    I'm going to use an Octatrack and Digitone for my live setup and I want to use AUM to host various extra FX, as well as Enso for looping into transitions. Thing is, I have NO idea how to set this thing up to do it. Right now, I have the DN going into the OT with the CUE out of the OT going into my iPad. From there, I have a few bus sends to various fx and an enso channel. I haven't been able to figure out how to properly set up Enso for this, and I'm not even sure if AUM/Enso is the right way to go. Any ideas? I'm not interested in using the OT as the recorder/looper just yet (I think).

For looping into transitions on the fly, I'd rather either use a delay or Effectrix.
    Effectrix runs and loops in sync with your host and you can enable different effect patterns on the fly using MIDI keys.
    Edit: If you want the Octatrack or Digitone to be the clock sync masters, you'll have to switch to apeMatrix or Beatmaker 3 for hosting.

• @zeropoint said:
    Out of interest, why do you not want to use the OT for your transition loops ?

It's funny you should ask. Last night I started (again) to try and understand the OT looping and it clicked, so how that's the plan!

@rs2000 said:

For looping into transitions on the fly, I'd rather either use a delay or Effectrix.
    Effectrix runs and loops in sync with your host and you can enable different effect patterns on the fly using MIDI keys.
    Edit: If you want the Octatrack or Digitone to be the clock sync masters, you'll have to switch to apeMatrix or Beatmaker 3 for hosting.

Does Audio bus not sync to external gear? I thought that's why people liked it over AUM.

• @slicetwo said:

@zeropoint said:
    Out of interest, why do you not want to use the OT for your transition loops ?

It's funny you should ask. Last night I started (again) to try and understand the OT looping and it clicked, so how that's the plan!

@rs2000 said:

Does Audio bus not sync to external gear? I thought that's why people liked it over AUM.

Sure! I should have included it indeed.

• The MIDI Link Sync app can slave AUM to incoming clock (I use Digitone via USB MIDI) via Ableton Link. I prefer it over integrating Audiobus, and ApeMatrix's fatal flaw is only 3 stereo outputs/recording lanes.

• @dreamsaremaps said:
    The MIDI Link Sync app can slave AUM to incoming clock (I use Digitone via USB MIDI) via Ableton Link. I prefer it over integrating Audiobus, and ApeMatrix's fatal flaw is only 3 stereo outputs/recording lanes.

So I'd use that to receive the clock from my Octatrack to send to AUM?

• @slicetwo said:

@dreamsaremaps said:
    The MIDI Link Sync app can slave AUM to incoming clock (I use Digitone via USB MIDI) via Ableton Link. I prefer it over integrating Audiobus, and ApeMatrix's fatal flaw is only 3 stereo outputs/recording lanes.

If you have AB3, it can do the same.

• @espiegel123 said:

@slicetwo said:

@dreamsaremaps said:

If you have AB3, it can do the same.

I don't, and MIDI Sync is a lot cheaper it seems, plus I love AUM for my workflow.

• edited February 2020

yeah, you just launch MLS, select midi to Link, select your Octatrack, hit start, and it generates Link sync including the correct downbeat. Then in AUM you just turn on Link along with Link start, and off you go. AB3 does do it natively, but I’m sorry to say I never enjoyed working in AB, and I certainly don’t want to be running AB ONLY to sync AUM...

The reviews for MLS say it all. What’s the price? I can’t see it anymore. Couple dollars? Absolutely worth it.