Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How would you achieve these sounds — Against All Logic (Jaar)

I love the distorted/resonator types of tones Nicholas Jaar gets in this tune:

I generally go to Mersenne and Kronecker to get something similar. Any other tips for how you would get these sounds?

Comments

• edited February 2020

I’ve gotten sounds similar to this out of the modal and resonator instruments, from the spectrum synth bundle. Ive gotten some very nice distorted resonator type sounds, although I haven’t tried for something quite so present and harsh sounding, but similar in principle.

• To me it seems that most of the character comes from the distortion/folding rather then the dry signal.

• Is it a comb filter?

• edited February 2020

I've just put a regular 2 oscillator (saw/pulse) bass through resonator and saturator modules in Drambo and came up with pretty close sounds. The distortion does some heavy lifting there so I don't think it matters massively what waves one uses.

I tried to take out the resonator out of the equation but I couldn't quite reproduce the sound. Of course comb filter and very short delays with longish feedback can also be used as resonators.

• edited February 2020

@supadom said:
    I've just put a regular 2 oscillator (saw/pulse) bass through resonator and saturator modules in Drambo and came up with pretty close sounds. The distortion does some heavy lifting there so I don't think it matters massively what waves one uses.

I tried to take out the resonator out of the equation but I couldn't quite reproduce the sound. Of course comb filter and very short delays with longish feedback can also be used as resonators.

I was afraid someone was going to say that Drambo is the answer. I can get some of what I want from Impaktor. This is the agony that @giku_beepstreet has inflicted on the world. ;)

Will try some comb filters in the meantime.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2020

elektron analog heat or oto pedal could take you there

• edited February 2020

Wavefolder and AD Grind would be my first choices.
    Sounds like junkyard percussion through distortion.

• +1 for grind

• Thanks everyone for the suggestions!