Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arm midi input with midi cc iOS.

I wish AUM or ApeMatrix had a midi learn option for midi matrix nodes, or any alternative midi arm feature to gain flexibility off screen with only one midi keyboards controlling many synths.
Until the future brings such a feature to these, or bring Ableton for iOS, is there any option to achieve this on iOS at the present time?

Controlling volume with CC is a kind of workaround but it is hungry on CPU for nothing and limits arpeggiators tricks.

Comments

• i would go with mozaic

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@Philippe said:
    I wish AUM or ApeMatrix had a midi learn option for midi matrix nodes, or any alternative midi arm feature to gain flexibility off screen with only one midi keyboards controlling many synths.
    Until the future brings such a feature to these, or bring Ableton for iOS, is there any option to achieve this on iOS at the present time?

Controlling volume with CC is a kind of workaround but it is hungry on CPU for nothing and limits arpeggiators tricks.

Do you mean muting of MIDI? Or do you mean muting audio via MIDI?

For midi muting, and routing you might want to look at @_ki ’s Midi Matrix Switch Mozaic script.

Midi Route from the Midi Tools suite is super useful as well. https://apps.apple.com/app/midi-tools/id1446209019

• What I mean is: push physical button a, synth a receives midi, push button b, synth b receives midi, and so on. Midi arm on/off through cc.

• Might be overkill but look at Keystage.

There’s a lite version to try out.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@Philippe said:
    What I mean is: push physical button a, synth a receives midi, push button b, synth b receives midi, and so on. Midi arm on/off through cc.

If you have Mozaic I can make that for you in no time flat. The only even slightly tricky bit is making sure there are no stuck notes if you mute a channel when notes are playing. I would need to know if you would expect them to be cut off immediately, or not until the note-off comes through. Sustain pedal is kind of a similar consideration.

• edited February 2020

https://patchstorage.com/channelswitcher/

somehow the forum editor swallows some characters from the link. add _ before and after channelswitcher.

• @wim said:

@Philippe said:
    What I mean is: push physical button a, synth a receives midi, push button b, synth b receives midi, and so on. Midi arm on/off through cc.

If you have Mozaic I can make that for you in no time flat. The only even slightly tricky bit is making sure there are no stuck notes if you mute a channel when notes are playing. I would need to know if you would expect them to be cut off immediately, or not until the note-off comes through. Sustain pedal is kind of a similar consideration.

That would be really nice! I don't own Mozaic yet but being able to do what I want would definitely make me consider it.
    Just to be clear, I'm looking for toggle function from selectable CC#.
    CC value 0 = no midi to that channel, CC value 127 = midi to that channel.
    One midi source channel(midi controller) to multiple channel outs (synths) with each having their own on/off toggle switch controllable from that or another controller.

• What about the note-off behavior? Should any notes playing at the time of a channel mute be immediately cut off, or would they need to keep playing until the note-off while any new midi is blocked?

• @wim said:
    What about the note-off behavior? Should any notes playing at the time of a channel mute be immediately cut off, or would they need to keep playing until the note-off while any new midi is blocked?

I guess it would be better to immediately cut them off. Thanks!!

• Cool, that's easier. I'll look at it later today. Should be easy.

• One more question. Does the plugin need to accept cc's itself to turn the channels off and on? Or is it enough to be able to map cc's to the AU parameters in the host? If it needs to support cc's internally, which ones, and do they need to be configurable per mute?

• @wim said:
    One more question. Does the plugin need to accept cc's itself to turn the channels off and on? Or is it enough to be able to map cc's to the AU parameters in the host? If it needs to support cc's internally, which ones, and do they need to be configurable per mute?

Would be better if plugin would accepted cc itself, and better if those cc# could be set into the plugin itself, that way there would be no need to configure the host, and would make the plugin independent from host.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@Philippe said:

@wim said:
    One more question. Does the plugin need to accept cc's itself to turn the channels off and on? Or is it enough to be able to map cc's to the AU parameters in the host? If it needs to support cc's internally, which ones, and do they need to be configurable per mute?

Would be better if plugin would accepted cc itself, and better if those cc# could be set into the plugin itself, that way there would be no need to configure the host, and would make the plugin independent from host.

Which cc's? Does it matter? Do they need to be configurable?
    I agree on the host independence, that is the one major drawback of AU parameters vs. cc's.

[edit] nvm. I might as well make it configurable.

• Configurable is better obviously since some hardware midi controller can’t be.
    I guess this make it more complicated to code but I think it make it way more versatile!

• OK, I think it’s working as it should. Please don’t feel any compulsion to get Mozaic or even try it out. It was worth writing either way as someone may find it useful whether you use it or not. If you do try it out, please let me know if anything should change or doesn’t work right.

https://patchstorage.com/midi-channel-mute/

• Thanks man! You totally rock!
    I looks perfect! Good job!