Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

One synth to master

Yet another post about synths - sorry! but then who doesn’t love a synth discussion ;)

After an extended hiatus from iOS music making I am back with a vengeance and planning to make an EP. In the name of productivity and focus I am looking to ‘go light’. There will be drums and guitars etc but in the synth dept. this means deleting (for this EP) all my synths except one, with the intention of getting to know that one inside out.

I am not very advanced in synth programming but I can tweak effectively enough. So far I’m inclined toward Sunrizer as it’s versatile, stable, full screen AUv3, sounds great, is cpu efficient and not too confusing to program. I do tend to lean towards analogue, subtractive. But I would love to hear others’ opinions about the best synth to double down on and why.

Comments

• Try Lagrange. This is by far the most versatile of the IceGear synths.

For:
    Range of osc algorithms.
    Routing options.
    Not too resource hungry.
    Seems as stable as the other IceGear synths.
    Pretty easy to program.
    Not too much built in fx.
    It has that Ice Gear tone.
    Just that bit different if you want to delve deeper.

Against:
    Modulation options may seem limiting.
    Some may like more built in fx.
    It has that IceGear tone.
    Not the most rounded choice of presets.
    Maybe too different in layout to standard synths for some.

This is a programmers synth though, as the preset list is poor. It is pretty easy to program and seems to throw up new sounds very easily. The modulation options are limited compared to many modern synths, but it’s limits seem to help creativity, rather than hinder IMO.

I like the fact that fx are not too much of this synth. This synth can sound better with good quality fx added after the fact, which is the way I prefer it - like the Dw8000 and Juno 106 of old - just some basic fx to spice things up a little, but not overwhelm the basic sound.

This is by far the best IceGear synth IMO. It can do some of what each of the other apps can do, but in a much more rounded package.

• edited February 2020

The free Primer synth (AUv3) isn't bad, and if you like it you can register for the Syntorial course.

https://www.syntorial.com/primer/

• Sunrizer is a good one.
    Also, SunVox has just had a minor update today.

• @zeroG said:
    Yet another post about synths - sorry! but then who doesn’t love a synth discussion ;)

After an extended hiatus from iOS music making I am back with a vengeance and planning to make an EP. In the name of productivity and focus I am looking to ‘go light’. There will be drums and guitars etc but in the synth dept. this means deleting (for this EP) all my synths except one, with the intention of getting to know that one inside out.

I am not very advanced in synth programming but I can tweak effectively enough. So far I’m inclined toward Sunrizer as it’s versatile, stable, full screen AUv3, sounds great, is cpu efficient and not too confusing to program. I do tend to lean towards analogue, subtractive. But I would love to hear others’ opinions about the best synth to double down on and why.

Sunrizer is great...though Zeeon is a little more versatile and still one of the best virtual analog synths on iOS imo. If I was going to limit myself to one synth though, Sugar Bytes Factory would be my meal ticket. It’s easy to make bread and butter sounds in it without getting too deep into it — but under the hood is one of the most versatile and powerful synths on the platform.

• @zeroG said:

SynthMaster One

• @Fruitbat1919 said:
    Try Lagrange. This is by far the most versatile of the IceGear synths.

+20 for Lagrange as an interesting gadget.

The handy thing about Lagrange is that not only do you get a unique, powerful synth - but you get a working knowledge of all the other Icegear synths ... all different but sort of "modular"- they build on each other ... and you get the rather excellent little arpeggiator which is common to the lot. A truly unique set of synths. Well worth investing some hours in mastering.

• sunrizer is my favorite ios synth and i have most of them. i vote for it !

• +1 for Sunrizer!

• edited February 2020

Cheers guys, much appreciated. Couple of comments...

LaGrange sounds really interesting. I have Lorenz and really like it (including the ARP) so there may be mileage there...

Sunvox... there’s no doubting its power but a bit full on for me I think!

Factory - new one on me, watched some videos, got me very curious. How is it on cpu usage and stability?

Synthmaster One - I have this, very flexible and sounds pretty amazing but it hasn’t been the most stable in my experience (although a recent update may help) - also can be fairly cpu heavy. I find the UI quite full on too - but that’s the trade off for such huge power and flexibility I guess

Zeeon - I have this too but haven’t yet got to grips with it. Great sounds though. Interesting comment that it’s more flexible than Sunrizer. Heavier on CPU though - one to spend more time with I’d say

I have Syntorial but not used it much. AUv3 strongly preferred though

I’m thinking of maybe iSEM as another possibility btw - I have it and a recent update sped up loading time which was always a bit of a pain

• edited February 2020

SynthMaster One is low on CPU compared to Zeeon. I can run more than 5 AU tracks of SM1 inside Cubasis. If anything, just reduce polyphony. Zeeon and Model’s would glitch out and crash internally before giving 5 AU tracks.

• There’s a bunch I like but Zeeon is what I always end up taking most seriously when I open it up. It really is a joy to program on and incredibly versatile. I’ve used it on a ton of stuff and also have an unfinished ep I made solely with zeeon that I still need to mix

• Why has no one mentioned BeBot?

• @MobileMusic said:
    SynthMaster One is low on CPU compared to Zeeon. I can run more than 5 AU tracks of SM1 inside Cubasis. If anything, just reduce polyphony. Zeeon and Model’s would glitch out and crash internally before giving 5 AU tracks.

Same exact experience here.

• The answer is in the question :D (sorry I had to make this joke :p )

• @zeroG Great idea to stick with one synth only. You cannot be a master of 10 different synths :D
    If Sunrizer is the one in which you can make your sound ideas real then by all means go with it. If you ask others, you will get many opinions and suggestions but nobody knows your own preferences.

What kind of music is your thing?

• @wim said:
    Why has no one mentioned BeBot?

+1

Also Poison-202

• Personally (so it wouldn’t apply to anyone else) I’d focus on one of the Korg ones such as iMonoPoly or the Odysseyiiiiyiyiii or the iMS-20. Any one of those could easily be my ’one’ synth, but that’s me.

• edited February 2020

Good to know SM1 is more cpu efficient than I thought - perhaps been hugely optimised since I last used it (it’s looong time since I used any of these).

@rs2000 said:
    @zeroG Great idea to stick with one synth only. You cannot be a master of 10 different synths :D
    If Sunrizer is the one in which you can make your sound ideas real then by all means go with it. If you ask others, you will get many opinions and suggestions but nobody knows your own preferences.

Very sensible question! Think modern space rock with synthwave influences such as Gunship, Maxthor - so a rock based sound but with lots of dreamy layered synth. some of the passages I have in mind are more synth rich than anything else, but usually in a rock band context.

Probably Bebot is the no brainer answer to this whole dilemma :D

• edited February 2020

@zeroG said:
    Good to know SM1 is more cpu efficient than I thought - perhaps been hugely optimised since I last used it (it’s looong time since I used any of these).

@rs2000 said:
    @zeroG Great idea to stick with one synth only. You cannot be a master of 10 different synths :D

Very sensible question! Think modern space rock with synthwave influences such as Gunship, Maxthor - so a rock based sound but with lots of dreamy layered synth. some of the passages I have in mind are more synth rich than anything else, but ultimately in a rock band context.

OK, in your case I would actually go with two synths: Sunrizer and Zeeon.
    Why?
    Because one cannot replace the other sound-wise.
    If you want a cutting-sharp sync lead, a beefy bass of a silky-smooth but cutting solo lead sound then Zeeon will deliver.
    If you want angelic pads and dreamy sounds, Sunrizer definitely has to offer more for you.
    I say that because I've used both in sound design and found that you can't do everything with one synth.
    If I had to choose though, my pick would be Zeeon because I find that its core synth engine covers more ground than Sunrizer sound-wise.

• +1 for Lagrange.

• Surely Sunrizer with 2013 optimised engine and AU label. I used it as my one and only synth in my live rig for a while. Easy to operate, stable and dependable. Has an arp, midi recorder, effects...etc.

• I think a lot of synths can cover similar sounds so i think it all comes down to which sounds the best to your ears and inspires you when using it

• Hi!

Great suggestions on the posts above!

I had the same question and I went with Zeeon.

If you have some extra bucks to invest, you can get the full experience of programming it. (See picture)

I only use one instance at a time though.

• @DaveMagoo said:
    I think a lot of synths can cover similar sounds so i think it all comes down to which sounds the best to your ears and inspires you when using it

Ultimately this is it, but good to be aware of other, newer apps with UIs that may click better. Certainly intrigued about LaGrange and Factory (there are other apps by both those devs that I love) - but part of me says I should use one I already own!

This may come down to Zeeon and Sunrizer - don’t think I’d attempt both, though I hear what you’re saying @rs2000

Why @supadom says about Sunrizer resonates a lot

Again this is only for the current EP project, every chance I’d move to something else with the next project

• Click this

https://learningsynths.ableton.com

Now you can use many synths

• Poison 202 is still one of my favorites, easy to tweak and easy on the CPU.

• Yes Poison was mentioned, I’m aware it’s got a good reputation but how suitable is it for genres outside of EDM? Think space rock

• @zeroG said:
    Yes Poison was mentioned, I’m aware it’s got a good reputation but how suitable is it for genres outside of EDM? Think space rock

Bank D includes some sounds that might be of interest :)
    Doug did a demo of the D bank some time ago...

• Interesting @Samu that’s not what I was expecting! Hmm

• edited February 2020

@zeroG said:

@rs2000 said:

Very sensible question! Think modern space rock with synthwave influences such as Gunship, Maxthor - so a rock based sound but with lots of dreamy layered synth. some of the passages I have in mind are more synth rich than anything else, but usually in a rock band context.

Probably Bebot is the no brainer answer to this whole dilemma :D

The last update 1.3.6 optimized its memory management even further so it would work on older devices with just 1 GB RAM. I just tested and it supports 11 AU track instances inside Cubasis in a new empty project without crashing. 12th and 13th tracks are also supported but when I close and relaunch Cubasis, SM1 crashes internally producing no sound on all its tracks and its AU panel is blank. 11 AU tracks work even after relaunching Cubasis (a successful test is - it should work/generate sound even after relaunching).

SM1 - flexible, optimal and modern. If you can design sounds, it is capable of producing any sound. The only feature difference between desktop and iOS version is polyphony: Desktop has 32 polyphony, iPad has 16, iPhone as 8.