Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DAW suitable for electronic music production.

I recently started using iPAD to make electronic music focused on AU synths, MIDI effects, and automation.

And with many help from everyone here, I could set up the basic environment. So I started making music using BM3 I chose as my DAW. thank you.

But I realized that I might have made the wrong choice of DAW for my purpose.

At first, I thought BM3 was similar to Ableton Live and was nice to use.
Launch AU synth as plug-in on a track, AU sequencer as MIDI effect, and I could play and record various automations and edit them. It is so nice.

But then I found out that it couldn't change the order of tracks or make markers. And now I'm looking at how to duplicate tracks and preview the sound of notes that is editing on the pattern editing screen. I can't find it yet.

Since I feel it is difficult to make electronic music carefully with a DAW that doesn’t have enough basic functions of MIDI editing, I think it might be better to look for another DAW.

What about NS2 or CUBASIS 3? Do they have the above features? Anyone who works with them, please let me tell!

Comments

• edited February 2020

These apps are geared towards EDM -

FL Studio Mobile
    GarageBand

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

FL Studio Mobile is the last DAW I would ever recommend. It’s horrible.

IMO

• @MobileMusic said:
    These apps are geared towards EDM -

FL Studio Mobile
    GarageBand

Thank you. Maybe not EDM. I'm more interested in the fun of electronic sound itself, rather than whether it gets excited in the dance, and I think in the past, genres called Electronica or IDM are close:^)

• edited February 2020

i use lot of synths (lot of layering), lot of FXs in realtime in my music, i do not need audio tracks (i'm trying to keep everything realtime). Also possibility of reorder tracks, group tracks is vital for my workflow. And group groups, geoup grouped rows.. And to not be limited in number and level of grouping and number of sends.

You got the point.

Nanostudio2 perfectly fits my needs. Not just because of limitless grouping/routimg/reorderimg capabilities. It's build in synth is very powerfull (i would say, what is Serum on desktop, that is NS2 Obsidian on iOS :-)) - it has multiple types of synthesis and sampling, build in FXs are great quality (comparable with top AUfxs) but they are super CPU efficient.

You can check my tunes at https://www.soundcloud.com/ray_subject - most of things you can hear are made just uskng NS2 bundled stuff with just minimum AU plugins (they are always listed in song description) - so you can make realistic idea how NS2 sounds...

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

Neither Cubasis 3 nor NS2 have markers. But, you can create a dummy track and place empty patterns with the names you want to use for markers as a workaround.

Both will let you rearrange tracks, NS2 is the more flexible of the two as far as track routing and grouping goes.

NS2 lets you preview notes as you place them in the piano roll, but it doesn’t let you tap a keyboard on the screen while you’re editing notes. Cubasis does.

Cubasis 3 is waiting on updates to fix a number of bugs that came up on release.

NS2 is rock solid and a joy to use, but has no audio tracks for placing recorded audio. There are ways around that, but none that are as nice as integrated audio tracks. Audio tracks will come but no telling how long it will be. It could be many months.

Any iOS daw is going to be a letdown if you’re expecting desktop daw parity. It’s just the tradeoff you have to make for the mobility.

• NS2 doesn't support AUv3 effects automation though, so be aware of that (AU instrument automation does work though).

iOS DAWs all have missing features compared to desktop, so people who are looking for a replacement for Ableton or Logic are invariably frustrated. On iOS you can be happy with one of the existing DAWs but you have to accept the compromises. I do think that once NS2 gets audio tracks it will be the best option, however even then it will still be lagging behind the desktop in terms of features.

• Zenbeats is somewhat Ableton-like.

• edited February 2020

@wim said:
    FL Studio Mobile is the last DAW I would ever recommend. It’s horrible.

IMO

Thank you. I’m also interested in FL Studio Mobile. Why horrible :) ?

• It’s pretty OK with its own internal instruments, but disastrous with other apps. Every so often I’ll give it another try, and every time I give up in discouragement. Discouragement because I’m a huge FL Studio Desktop fan and it just makes me too sad that FLSM is such a train wreck.

I won’t go into it further as I don’t enjoy trashing apps. If it works out for you, that’s great. It’s absolutely not for me though.

• @wim said:
    Zenbeats is somewhat Ableton-like.

I installed and launched the free version of Zenbeats ago, but the GUI looked a bit like toy and was left unattended. I don't know how to operate it yet, but it can change the order of tracks.

• @wim said:
    It’s pretty OK with its own internal instruments, but disastrous with other apps. Every so often I’ll give it another try, and every time I give up in discouragement. Discouragement because I’m a huge FL Studio Desktop fan and it just makes me too sad that FLSM is such a train wreck.

I won’t go into it further as I don’t enjoy trashing apps. If it works out for you, that’s great. It’s absolutely not for me though.

Thanks for the important advice. I would like to use iOS synth apps. I’ll rarely use synths and effects built into DAW. So it seems better to remove FLSM from the list.

• @dendy said:
    i use lot of synths (lot of layering), lot of FXs in realtime in my music, i do not need audio tracks (i'm trying to keep everything realtime). Also possibility of reorder tracks, group tracks is vital for my workflow. And group groups, geoup grouped rows.. And to not be limited in number and level of grouping and number of sends.

You got the point.

Nanostudio2 perfectly fits my needs. Not just because of limitless grouping/routimg/reorderimg capabilities. It's build in synth is very powerfull (i would say, what is Serum on desktop, that is NS2 Obsidian on iOS :-)) - it has multiple types of synthesis and sampling, build in FXs are great quality (comparable with top AUfxs) but they are super CPU efficient.

You can check my tunes at https://www.soundcloud.com/ray_subject - most of things you can hear are made just uskng NS2 bundled stuff with just minimum AU plugins (they are always listed in song description) - so you can make realistic idea how NS2 sounds...

Thank you.

I heard some of your works. Did you make these on iOS alone? Great 👏

I don't need any other audio tracks if they can be exported as multi-tracks at the end. The reason is probably the same as you. (Only MIX is finished with protools or Ableton Live on Mac.)

I would like to insert various AU synths, effects and sequencers into a track on DAW and use them.

Can Nanostudio2 launch and sequence these on one track? And can I record the automation while recording the sequence as MIDI note, then read and edit it?

• @swiperrr Your OP sounds like you were quite satisfied with BM3 except for a few little things missing. You can preview note pitches in the BM3 piano roll using the right-hand vertical keyboard bar btw.
    iOS DAWs are still far away from DAWs on desktop OS, I wouldn't even try to compare them.

There is no Ableton counterpart on iOS but all DAWs I know satisfy your thread title.

• zenbeats may look a bit “toyish” to some, i don’t really see it.. but it is colorful so i get it..
    it is my go to ios DAW for a couple reasons

main reason: clips and clip launching
    i don’t really like to work in a linear sequencer, to me its a mess and i’m just not able to keep up, but i can work in a clip grid then arrange that into a linear song or record the clips out playing them live.
    that is how i’ve worked in ableton since ableton 4 and still do now .

the work flow of zenbeats is smooooth and intuitive. you can play the on screen keys from any screen / effects screen / sequencer screen / clip view .. any of em. that’sa big deal for me when designing the sound of a particular track. access to the effects and mixer is immediate and never a distraction to the work flow zone!

its owned by roland! which means it will be supported for years as they have a whole team and roland will be around , proven by their track record as opposed to a one man army with a busy personal life that can’t really invest as much time and effort into it... don’t get me wrong, i’ma a huge supporter of the indie developers , i can show you my app purchases lol, but with that comes longer periods of downtime for updates , new features, general support etc. when you’re relying on your daw to stay up to date and advance having that support can be crucial.
    indie devs of synths and effects are my favs tho! they make the thing and release it and i don’tmake demands for all kinda feature requests lol but with a daw im a lot more picky.

the onscreen keyboard is resizable and lets you pick a scale!

current down side
    no audio tracks yet haha just kidding there are audio tracks 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️ and the track automation is good imo!

the only real downside to me personally is that you cannot record midi au fx or record the tracks to audio... but a easy work around is to export the track to audio and load it up in an audio track!

next in line to me is ns2.
    its well thought out, super stable and the dev seems very committed to making sure what is featured in the daw works!
    i have a few work flow grips that really mess to my flow and no audio tracks or midi fx recording however there is a work around for that so that’s good

good luck

• edited February 2020

@rs2000 said:
    @swiperrr Your OP sounds like you were quite satisfied with BM3 except for a few little things missing. You can preview note pitches in the BM3 piano roll using the right-hand vertical keyboard bar btw.
    iOS DAWs are still far away from DAWs on desktop OS, I wouldn't even try to compare them.

There is no Ableton counterpart on iOS but all DAWs I know satisfy your thread title.

Thank you.

It can preview the scale by tapping BM3 piano roll, but what I need is a function to preview the scale when tapping a note.

However, as you say, it wouldn’t be correct to expect iOS DAW to be as functional as a desktop OS DAW.

Even so, I’m in trouble that duplicating a pattern doesn’t duplicate automation, and I can’t duplicate a track to cover it😨

• @richardyot said:
    NS2 doesn't support AUv3 effects automation though, so be aware of that (AU instrument automation does work though).

iOS DAWs all have missing features compared to desktop, so people who are looking for a replacement for Ableton or Logic are invariably frustrated. On iOS you can be happy with one of the existing DAWs but you have to accept the compromises. I do think that once NS2 gets audio tracks it will be the best option, however even then it will still be lagging behind the desktop in terms of features.

Thank you.

I still don't know enough about AU😨

The lack of support for AUv3 effects automation means that even if I insert Moebius Lab or Effectrix into an NS2 effects insert for example (perhaps it does exist…?), Can’t I automate these parameters? Or another meaning?

• @reasOne said:
    zenbeats may look a bit “toyish” to some, i don’t really see it.. but it is colorful so i get it..

Great overview of the overall features!

This is exactly the same for me.
    I've started using Cubasis as many do, but never really loved the workflow, so I have tried other DAW:

1) BM3: Great App with great features (e.g. the sampler...) but I cannot use it productively, just a personal way of interacting with it
    2) NS2: Great App, really good, it's the second in my DAW listing for sure, but as workflow and ease of use I still prefer Zenbeats
    3) Cubasis 2: not that it is bad at all, but workflow not for me and as the latest expensive upgrade without much improvements and a long lasting bugging behaviour I let him out.

So I'm using Zenbeats as my standard DAW, also for it's Roland owned with the former Stagelight team fully working improving it, as the constant flow of updates since the new ownership (BTW great from Roland have taken the former team and not leaved them on the road :smiley: good for them and for us too, providing a constant support).
    Seven upgrades from the transition, more then one per month with features improvements are IMHO very valuable, not a lot of Apps can show this kind of devotion.
    It's light on CPU and last but not least, stability is ATM great, I could use all my AUv3 without any problems too.

Anyway all 3 DAW could be productively used in making music, withot doubts, it's just a matter of preferred workflow and maybe support. With Zenbeats I have the workflow I nead (clip launch is for me another world, and then I just could convert in timeline with a one touch operation) and the support ,ATM very strong and it make the DAW grows constantly.

Cheers

• edited February 2020

@swiperrr said:

@richardyot said:
    NS2 doesn't support AUv3 effects automation though, so be aware of that (AU instrument automation does work though).

Thank you.

The lack of support for AUv3 effects automation means that even if I insert Moebius Lab or Effectrix into an NS2 effects insert for example (perhaps it does exist…?), Can’t I automate these parameters? Or another meaning?

Well, generally that’s what it means, but some effects like Effectrix and Turnado have a workaround built into them, so you can automate them with midi notes. This means that you put the effect on a send channel and use notes on that channel and their velocity to change the effect parametres. You can automate the built-in effects, of course. And you can automate AU instruments.

I wouldn’t completely rule out using built-in synths, though. Nanostudio’s Obsidian is a beast, that’s capable of VA, wavetable, FM and phase distortion synthesis. It has a powerful multisampler, dedicated supersaw osc mode and is incredibly CPU efficient. You can use dozens of them per project. And you can easily use two or three for the same sound.

• @reasOne said:
    zenbeats may look a bit “toyish” to some, i don’t really see it.. but it is colorful so i get it..

main reason: clips and clip launching
    i don’t really like to work in a linear sequencer, to me its a mess and i’m just not able to keep up, but i can work in a clip grid then arrange that into a linear song or record the clips out playing them live.
    that is how i’ve worked in ableton since ableton 4 and still do now .

the work flow of zenbeats is smooooth and intuitive. you can play the on screen keys from any screen / effects screen / sequencer screen / clip view .. any of em. that’sa big deal for me when designing the sound of a particular track. access to the effects and mixer is immediate and never a distraction to the work flow zone!

its owned by roland! which means it will be supported for years as they have a whole team and roland will be around , proven by their track record as opposed to a one man army with a busy personal life that can’t really invest as much time and effort into it... don’t get me wrong, i’ma a huge supporter of the indie developers , i can show you my app purchases lol, but with that comes longer periods of downtime for updates , new features, general support etc. when you’re relying on your daw to stay up to date and advance having that support can be crucial.
    indie devs of synths and effects are my favs tho! they make the thing and release it and i don’tmake demands for all kinda feature requests lol but with a daw im a lot more picky.

the onscreen keyboard is resizable and lets you pick a scale!

current down side
    no audio tracks yet haha just kidding there are audio tracks 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️ and the track automation is good imo!

the only real downside to me personally is that you cannot record midi au fx or record the tracks to audio... but a easy work around is to export the track to audio and load it up in an audio track!

next in line to me is ns2.
    its well thought out, super stable and the dev seems very committed to making sure what is featured in the daw works!
    i have a few work flow grips that really mess to my flow and no audio tracks or midi fx recording however there is a work around for that so that’s good

good luck

Thank you.

I also started working with Ableton Live first. Because I would like to use clips. But for some reason I don't use clips because the arrangement timeline is easy to use for me.

I use Live because it's fun to create songs using M4L device synths. It's similar to why I started using iOS.

The rest is that I can see at a glance the contents of each track and have quick access to them.

So maybe zenbeats might not be my best match. But I’m also aware that Roland will continue its long-term development.

I'm also like synth and effects made by indie developers. That is the main reason I use iOS. Without interesting device, I couldn't do anything.

But I need something like a DAW to complete my work. This is not at all interesting process for me. That's why I'm looking for a DAW with little stress.

Anyway many people praise NS2. I would like to try this:)

• @Stiksi said:

@swiperrr said:

@richardyot said:

Thank you.

Well, generally that’s what it means, but some effects like Effectrix and Turnado have a workaround built into them, so you can automate them with midi notes. This means that you put the effect on a send channel and use notes on that channel and their velocity to change the effect parametres. You can automate the built-in effects, of course. And you can automate AU instruments.

I wouldn’t completely rule out using built-in synths, though. Nanostudio’s Obsidian is a beast, that’s capable of VA, wavetable, FM and phase distortion synthesis. It has a powerful multisampler, dedicated supersaw osc mode and is incredibly CPU efficient. You can use dozens of them per project. And you can easily use two or three for the same sound.

Thank you.

I may think a bit about the lack of support for AUv3 effect automation.
    Because I basically don't use any of the DAW's built-in effects or synths.
    Many of them are good sounds, but I can't feel fun.
    BM3 supports it, so it might not have been wrong to choose this DAW.

Even so, Obsidian has a good reputation. I would like to use only this.

• @Sinthemau said:

@reasOne said:

Great overview of the overall features!

This is exactly the same for me.
    I've started using Cubasis as many do, but never really loved the workflow, so I have tried other DAW:

1) BM3: Great App with great features (e.g. the sampler...) but I cannot use it productively, just a personal way of interacting with it
    2) NS2: Great App, really good, it's the second in my DAW listing for sure, but as workflow and ease of use I still prefer Zenbeats
    3) Cubasis 2: not that it is bad at all, but workflow not for me and as the latest expensive upgrade without much improvements and a long lasting bugging behaviour I let him out.

So I'm using Zenbeats as my standard DAW, also for it's Roland owned with the former Stagelight team fully working improving it, as the constant flow of updates since the new ownership (BTW great from Roland have taken the former team and not leaved them on the road :smiley: good for them and for us too, providing a constant support).
    Seven upgrades from the transition, more then one per month with features improvements are IMHO very valuable, not a lot of Apps can show this kind of devotion.
    It's light on CPU and last but not least, stability is ATM great, I could use all my AUv3 without any problems too.

Anyway all 3 DAW could be productively used in making music, withot doubts, it's just a matter of preferred workflow and maybe support. With Zenbeats I have the workflow I nead (clip launch is for me another world, and then I just could convert in timeline with a one touch operation) and the support ,ATM very strong and it make the DAW grows constantly.

Cheers

Thanks for the overall comparison. Your advice is easy to understand and very helpful.

But I'm wondering, why can't you use BM3 productively? And if NS2 workflow and ease of use are inferior to Zenbeats, why do you feel NS2 is good?

• @swiperrr said:

Thanks for the overall comparison. Your advice is easy to understand and very helpful.

But I'm wondering, why can't you use BM3 productively? And if NS2 workflow and ease of use are inferior to Zenbeats, why do you feel NS2 is good?

BM3 is for me just overcomplicated to do the simple things I do with Zenbeats, which I use mainly with the Clip view; and yes sometimes I switch in the Timeline view too and this behavior is what attract me most by ZB.

Same for NS2: I have used it and I found great (editing, great Obsidian and so on), but once again I miss the Clip view I found in ZB.

As said before and from many people it's a matter of workflow and taste of use.

The only thing to do is try them and feel the best working one FOR YOU. Zenbeats is free to try even if limited in features but you can taste the workflow, the others you have to pay but maybe they are right for you. You could see some demo videos too.
    Cheers

• FWIW, GarageBand has a surprisingly good clips view (live loops) which you can easily record into the main arrange timeline.

It’s missing some features like bussing and it’s light on automation, but it is pretty powerful and makes a good halfway house to Logic on the Mac.

None of the DawS on iOS hit the spot for me but I do like to use a combination of apps to make loops that I then use in BlocsWave to play with arrangements and stuff. And from there I can export to launchpad for nice clip launching if I want to, too.

I love to have a selection of loops in BW on my iPhone which is instant gratification and I often come up with arrangements I’d never think of in a linear DAW.

I use AUM quite a bit and use it like a DIY make it yourself groovebox. I try and keep the track count low and just have fun.

Trying to replicate what I do in logic on my Mac is just a recipe for frustration. I love iOS for making music but I’ve developed a completely different mindset towards making music on iOS, thanks in part to this forum and discussing different thing with some of the great people here.

So TLDR; there are lots of options on iOS but to make the best of it I’d suggest trying to find an iOS native workflow. Forget about replicating your desktop methods and find new ways of creating.

I now Leave the fiddly automation and mixing type stuff for desktop but use lots of modulation and other methods I never used in logic.

I’m loving having the best of both world. :-)

• @swiperrr said:

@rs2000 said:
    @swiperrr Your OP sounds like you were quite satisfied with BM3 except for a few little things missing. You can preview note pitches in the BM3 piano roll using the right-hand vertical keyboard bar btw.

Thank you.

It can preview the scale by tapping BM3 piano roll, but what I need is a function to preview the scale when tapping a note.

However, as you say, it wouldn’t be correct to expect iOS DAW to be as functional as a desktop OS DAW.

Even so, I’m in trouble that duplicating a pattern doesn’t duplicate automation, and I can’t duplicate a track to cover it😨

In BM3 there is track automation and pattern automation. Duplicating a pattern does duplicate pattern automation but not track automation.

(Haven't read the whole thread, not sure if anyone commented on this)

• @AudioGus said:

@swiperrr said:

@rs2000 said:

Thank you.

In BM3 there is track automation and pattern automation. Duplicating a pattern does duplicate pattern automation but not track automation.

(Haven't read the whole thread, not sure if anyone commented on this)

I used to draw automation on trucks, but draw automation on a pattern as you said, I was able to duplicate it! Thanks a lot🙏

• @klownshed said:
    FWIW, GarageBand has a surprisingly good clips view (live loops) which you can easily record into the main arrange timeline.

It’s missing some features like bussing and it’s light on automation, but it is pretty powerful and makes a good halfway house to Logic on the Mac.

None of the DawS on iOS hit the spot for me but I do like to use a combination of apps to make loops that I then use in BlocsWave to play with arrangements and stuff. And from there I can export to launchpad for nice clip launching if I want to, too.

I love to have a selection of loops in BW on my iPhone which is instant gratification and I often come up with arrangements I’d never think of in a linear DAW.

I use AUM quite a bit and use it like a DIY make it yourself groovebox. I try and keep the track count low and just have fun.

Trying to replicate what I do in logic on my Mac is just a recipe for frustration. I love iOS for making music but I’ve developed a completely different mindset towards making music on iOS, thanks in part to this forum and discussing different thing with some of the great people here.

So TLDR; there are lots of options on iOS but to make the best of it I’d suggest trying to find an iOS native workflow. Forget about replicating your desktop methods and find new ways of creating.

I now Leave the fiddly automation and mixing type stuff for desktop but use lots of modulation and other methods I never used in logic.

I’m loving having the best of both world. :-)

Thanks for the advice.

I think you're right. I started using iOS for search of different way than I did on Mac.

IOS unique devices are all touch-sensitive, and the price is such that I can immediately buy and try.
    Each of them are different from Mac environment. And it fascinated me, exhausted by the Mac DAW.

I, of course, first installed AUM. And that made me think that I found a new world.
    But the moment I decided to set musical instrument play as structured music, I started duplicating the desktop method. Now while learning BM3, I feel like I'm going the wrong way.

Could you please tell me your iOS native workflow for reference?

• edited February 2020

@swiperrr
    But the moment I decided to set musical instrument play as structured music, I started duplicating the desktop method. Now while learning BM3, I feel like I'm going the wrong way.

Nothing wrong on duplicating desktop worklfow on ios.. you just need to accept thst sometimes you will need to use spme workarounds and sometimes features are a bit limited...

But in general, you can use same workflow. I'm using it. It's even better for me - on desktop i needed to use freeze all the time because of CPU overload - on iOS i have not this problem... i have tons of FXs (EQs, reverbs, delays, ovedrives, choruses, conpressors), tons of synths instances in my projects and CPU is most time bellow 60% :-)) So in some way my iOS workflow is significantly more smooth than it was on desktop :-) Finally i feel like it's limitless, just my creativity and imagination is limit..

• Why not use iOS apps as scratch pads to capture ideas on the go and continue work on desktop apps -

FL Studio Mobile => FL Studio
    GarageBand => GarageBand
    Cubasis => Cubase
    Gadget => Gadget
    Etc.

• @swiperrr said:
    I also started working with Ableton Live first. Because I would like to use clips. But for some reason I don't use clips because the arrangement timeline is easy to use for me.
    The rest is that I can see at a glance the contents of each track and have quick access to them.

So maybe zenbeats might not be my best match. But I’m also aware that Roland will continue its long-term development.

This makes me think maybe you’ve only noticed Zenbeat’s clip view. It has a timeline view as well. It’s somewhat similar to Live in that regard.

• edited February 2020

@MobileMusic said:
    Why not use iOS apps as scratch pads to capture ideas on the go and continue work on desktop apps -

I really like AUM to capture ideas, in fact I rarely record on desktop (3 different ones here), but AUM is the switchboard and standard to capture all the files.

If a lot of edits are on schedule (I love editing...), those snippets are sent back to Saw-Studio on WinXP, in case it's about fx and ambience design Pro Tools 5 TDM on MacOS-9 is the destination, mainly for Wave Mechanics Soundblenders (Eventide algorithms) and the much dissed Lexiverb plugin o:)

An iConnectAudio4+ does the physical connection, allowing send/receive from/to any of the systems (on a humble stereo bus) and provides midi.