Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiKeys AUv3 MIDI Sequencer Plugin Preview for iPad.

Comments

• Just watched it, very impressive

• edited February 2020

Fix the bugs in Multi-Track!

FFS. Still pumping out new apps and not fixing existing ones.

• edited February 2020

This looks like some good fun. This with a song mode and being AUv3 will certainly get a lot of mileage in AUM.

• @MonzoPro said:

Maybe the income from a new app pays towards the development time to work on a previous release?

• This looks great!

• edited February 2020

Very cool! Always great stuff from Paul. 4Pockets plugins are among the best on iOS. 👏

• edited February 2020

@gusgranite said:

@MonzoPro said:

Maybe the income from a new app pays towards the development time to work on a previous release?

Not an excuse. Bugs in existing apps should be fixed before pushing out new ones, there's been several since MT, along with promotional videos. It's not on.

@Faland said:
    Very cool! Always great stuff from Paul. 4Pockets plugins are among the best on iOS. 👏

Disagree strongly. Developers that leave apps full of bugs, yet keep pushing out new ones in my opinion are not up there with the best.

I noticed a couple of 4Pockets apps on sale recently which I would have grabbed, but i can't support a developer that doesn't support existing apps I've already purchased.

• @MonzoPro said:

What are the significant bugs still in multitrack?

• edited February 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

There's a list of them in another thread, and I've contacted the dev. There was an update, but none of them were fixed. I contacted the dev again a few months back but heard nothing since.

Basically they make the app unsable for me. I'd take it on the chin and put it down to experience, but I feel really strongly when bugs aren't fixed but a developer then carries on pumping out new apps.

It's not on, and shouldn't be encouraged.

• @echoopera said:
    This looks like some good fun. This with a song mode and being AUv3 will certainly get a lot of mileage in AUM.

My thoughts exactly.

• I think getting these kind of sequencers with Song modes as AUv3 apps is going to really help make the iPad an even more flexible host solution for musicians who want to get away from the laptop.

I’ve been able to put a good flow together using my own preferred recipes, but being able to stay in AUM 100% of the time is really going to be a boon to this kind of AUM based workflow.

Bring it on DigiSticks! 🏄🌊

• @MonzoPro said:

@espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

There's a list of them in another thread, and I've contacted the dev. There was an update, but none of them were fixed. I contacted the dev again a few months back but heard nothing since.

Basically they make the app unsable for me. I'd take it on the chin and put it down to experience, but I feel really strongly when bugs aren't fixed but a developer then carries on pumping out new apps.

I don’t have it and was under the impression things were up and running at close to 95%.

• @MonzoPro said:

@espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

I looked at the thread and saw many references from you of bugs that haven't been fixed but whatever specifics you supplied are buried deep in the thread. Can you list the bugs that you feel significantly hamper its functionality?

• I use Shimmer and Chameleon a lot and both do what I want so I’m in for this one too! You have to hand it to the dev - he sees a gap in the market and goes for it. Good on him!

• edited February 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:

I don’t have it and was under the impression things were up and running at close to 95%.

Not for me.

@espiegel123 said:

I looked at the thread and saw many references from you of bugs that haven't been fixed but whatever specifics you supplied are buried deep in the thread. Can you list the bugs that you feel significantly hamper its functionality?

I haven't got them to hand, but from memory things such as:

clips continuing to play with the transport controls frozen - so I have to sit and wait for the song to finish playing before I can carry on editing,

clips jumping about when you go to select them, so they look like they're not in the correct position in the timeline,

and audio clips randomly not playing were a few bugs in that list.

The app would do all of those things every single time I used it. Those and the other workflow issues (why is there so much unused space in portrait mode, why can I only see four tracks at a time in landscape etc.) make it an unusable proposition for me.

As I've said previously it would be in my top 5 apps if the bugs were fixed, but in its present state I can't bear to use it.

• @MonzoPro said:

@gusgranite said:

@MonzoPro said:

Not an excuse. Bugs in existing apps should be fixed before pushing out new ones, there's been several since MT, along with promotional videos. It's not on.

@Faland said:

Disagree strongly. Developers that leave apps full of bugs, yet keep pushing out new ones in my opinion are not up there with the best.

I noticed a couple of 4Pockets apps on sale recently which I would have grabbed, but i can't support a developer that doesn't support existing apps I've already purchased.

I own tons of 4P plugins and none of then is even barely unusable for me. I don’t know what to say, is it not possible an issue with your own system? Just asking.

• edited February 2020

I thought this was a companion for my digitone Keys before I noticed it was a 4pockets app. Speaking of which, the Harmonix Digitone app is worth the price of admission to any owners.

EDIT: I’ll wait for reviews but if it’s stable and without bugs (big if...) I will purchase. Please (for the dev’s sake...) properly beta test and squash bugs before release. There are many capable people here willing and interested in helping apps like this have a smooth launch.

• edited February 2020

@Faland said:

I own tons of 4P plugins and none of then is even barely unusable for me. I don’t know what to say, is it not possible an issue with your own system? Just asking.

So you have no problems with this app?

I've got Digistix, which is great. This one, not so, which is the app I'm commenting on.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Faland said:

I've got Digistix, which is great. This one, not so, which is the app I'm commenting on.

No app has no problems. 0 bugs at all seems like an awfully high bar. There is a difference between an app having bugs that bother someone that others find satisfactory and an app whose bugs make it unsatisfactory to a significant number of people.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Faland said:

No app has no problems. 0 bugs at all seems like an awfully high bar. There is a difference between an app having bugs that bother someone that others find satisfactory and an app whose bugs make it unsatisfactory to a significant number of people.

So you have no problems with the app?

You think that having to wait for the song to play all the way through at random points when editing, audio clips randomly dropping out and not playing so you can't hear them when you're recording and editing, transport controls freezing up and becoming unresposive, audio clip positions shifting on the timeline visually when they haven't actually moved - every single time the app is used - is an acceptable state of affairs for an app who's sole purpose is recording and editing audio tracks?

Really?

So you'd buy a phaser app, for example, that didn't phase when you used it and consider that ok because 'No app has no problems'?

Come on.

• @MonzoPro said:

@espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Faland said:

You think that having to wait for the song to play all the way through at random points when editing, audio clips randomly dropping out and not playing so you can't hear them when you're recording and editing, transport controls freezing up and becoming unresposive, audio clip positions shifting on the timeline visually when they haven't actually moved - every single time the app is used - is an acceptable state of affairs for an app who's sole purpose is recording and editing audio tracks?

Really?

So you'd buy a phaser app, for example, that didn't phase when you used it and consider that ok because 'No app has no problems'?

Come on.

That is not what I said. You keep asking "you have no problems?"

I am pointing out that "no problems" is not a reasonable standard. It just isn't.

"So, you find it usable?" Or "you find it worthwhile?" are reasonable standards.

Clearly, some people find the apps usable and worthwhile. You don't--which is totally fine. I don't understand why you are getting argumentative with people that seem happy with the apps they bought.

Aren't they also entitled to their view?

• We're all free to wait until somebody does an in-depth review.
    Anyway, good to see someone is working on making new babies on the AUv3 sequencer lonesome Beathawk island.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Faland said:

Really?

Come on.

That is not what I said. You keep asking "you have no problems?"

I am pointing out that "no problems" is not a reasonable standard. It just isn't.

"So, you find it usable?" Or "you find it worthwhile?" are reasonable standards.

Clearly, some people find the apps usable and worthwhile. You don't--which is totally fine. I don't understand why you are getting argumentative with people that seem happy with the apps they bought.

Aren't they also entitled to their view?

You're missing the point of what I'm asking. You and Faland are questioning whether the level of issues I have with the app is a valid complaint. I think it is, you both disagree.

So my question is - do you actually own this app and use it, and if so, are you happy to use it considering the issues I've listed?

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

I'm with MonzoPro on this one. He's legitimately feeling burned and is raising a flag for others that might feel that way if this one goes the same way.

I'd say that if the app isn't usable for you, you've gone to the trouble to specifically point out the bugs directly to the developer, and have received no results, that is a valid time to share your experience publicly.

He hasn't said all their apps are crap. He hasn't said anyone else but himself finds it unusable. He hasn't said that no-one should buy this app. All he's done is report what he's found, stated that he's not interested in buying another app that he has no reason to believe won't end up unusable for him, and objected to the idea that new apps should continue to stream out when old ones are buggy.

This is not some generalized hate-fest for a developer. It's just an even-handed dissemination of information so that others can make their own informed decisions. Deal with it people. ;)

(BTW, of course I will buy it the minute it comes out. :D )

• edited February 2020

@MonzoPro said:

So my question is - do you actually own this app and use it, and if so, are you happy to use it considering the issues I've listed?

Thanks a lot for your advice!
    Ill keep watching until the app is released and deeply tested. Im tired of devs with half cooking apps that never receive the mandatory updates to make them usable and keep putting new apps out.

• Don't worry everyone. I'll definitely take the dive and report back to everyone. Been looking for something like this as an auv3 recently. Guess the Universe does listen :)

• Nice....didn’t see anything about midi export...

• @wim said:
    I'm with MonzoPro on this one. He's legitimately feeling burned and is raising a flag for others that might feel that way if this one goes the same way.

I'd say that if the app isn't usable for you, you've gone to the trouble to specifically point out the bugs directly to the developer, and have received no results, that is a valid time to share your experience publicly.

He hasn't said all their apps are crap. He hasn't said anyone else but himself finds it unusable. He hasn't said that no-one should buy this app. All he's done is report what he's found, stated that he's not interested in buying another app that he has no reason to believe won't end up unusable for him, and objected to the idea that new apps should continue to stream out when old ones are buggy.

This is not some generalized hate-fest for a developer. It's just an even-handed dissemination of information so that others can make their own informed decisions. Deal with it people. ;)

(BTW, of course I will buy it the minute it comes out. :D )

It sure brings us to an interesting point - that of app upkeep. I’ve just used one of their apps in my 6 random apps in another thread - I’ve encountered multiple problems with it. Now, I’m not saying any other apps have problems, but some app developers do have so many apps to upkeep, that I wonder how easy a task this is going to be.

I have no idea if 4pockets is a small outfit, one person or a sizeable company. when companies like Arturia don’t keep apps in a working state though, I’m dubious to how many will? Maybe I’m just being a bit picky, but only a few days back into music making again and I’ve probably come across issues with 50% of the apps I’ve used.

Very difficult to make many conclusions to patterns within the industry, but I’m not sure price range is much of a factor. I’m not even sure it’s that variable between devs - just maybe seems the devs that make more apps have more issues, if only by the fact they make more apps.

Some may say that at these prices, we should expect some issues, but even the high price items seem to have issues. It’s not even just apps - I’ve had software and hardware issues with nearly every piece of music gear I’ve bought - I don’t think Waldorf have ever got their hardware synths operating systems to want most would consider a finished state! ;)

I know that I have apps from more developers with niggling issues than those that seemingly have none. I suppose only each of us can make our own mind up. So, I’m with MP and being transparent when we have experienced issues. It is better to know that you may encounter some issues. Most here will buy them whatever a keep our fingers crossed that we don’t encounter said issues lol.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

This actually looks really good. Also, it's more like DigiStix than MultiTrack Recorder. DigiStix is rock-solid and is a lot simpler interface-wise than the clip arrangement paradigm of MultiTrack.

I have every reason to expect that this will be free of the issues seen in MultiTrack. I'm really looking forward to this one!

P.S. Now that's how to do an intro video. B)