Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad for Cubasis

Hello, and thanks for accepting me.
I've used Cubase on a PC for nearly 20 years. Would like to delve into Cubasis but all things Apple are foreign to me. Can someone please recommend several models of iPad that will accommodate Cubasis 3 and possibly be available used?
Thanks so much!

Comments

• edited February 2020

@vlofstead said:
    Hello, and thanks for accepting me.
    I've used Cubase on a PC for nearly 20 years. Would like to delve into Cubasis but all things Apple are foreign to me. Can someone please recommend several models of iPad that will accommodate Cubasis 3 and possibly be available used?
    Thanks so much!

I would recommend waiting for Cubasis 3 to get some updates and fix their bugs. I have an annoying bug that seems to be on 2017 iPads (from my limited testing at least) and renders it useless for me at the moment. There are lots of other bugs which may or may not be device specific but yah it is very underripe right now imho.

PS: Welcome!

• I am successfully running Cubasis 3 on an iPad Air 2 .. so anything from that and above will do the job....usual rules apply, get the most powerful you can afford, and if you want to use a USB audio interface or other USB devices remember to factor in the cost of the Lightning to USB adapter (also known as CCK 3) these are £40 from apple and is not only needed to be able to plug in USB devices, but also to power those devices that need more juice than the lightning port can provide :)

• I think the iPad Air 3 is the current best buy, buy the one with the most storage you can afford.

• @richardyot said:
    I think the iPad Air 3 is the current best buy, buy the one with the most storage you can afford.

Care to explain that in more detail? I'm curious what, if any, model to upgrade to.

• @Jocphone said:

@richardyot said:
    I think the iPad Air 3 is the current best buy, buy the one with the most storage you can afford.

Care to explain that in more detail? I'm curious what, if any, model to upgrade to.

+1

• Air3 is the best value, although a 10.5 pro second hand is worth a look if not used too much. When buying iPads second hand, remember that the battery may only have so much life in it before needing replacing at cost. My Air2 battery now lasts very little time and using while on mains makes it hot hot hot! I wouldn’t recommend an Air2, because it is one of the lowest current iPads that is updatable to the latest iOS - most likely won’t be updatable for much longer.

For music making, the Air3 with 256gb is better value than the current Pro models - always go for more storage! The Pro models do have some nice features, but if your budget is low, an Air3 with 256gb is better than paying even more for a 64gb Pro model - the four speakers, while nice are not important as you will need headphones or external speakers. Promotion screens are nice, but hardly that important for music apps. The processor, RAM are great, but the Air3 is no slouch. Updated USB is handy, but their is still plenty of devices that work on the standard USB to lightning adaptor. The Air3 still has a headphone socket, while the Pro models use an adaptor that then takes up the only USB socket! The Pro models really need more sockets.

• @Jocphone said:

@richardyot said:

IMO the Air 3 has the best price/performance ratio: the fastest CPU available, 3Gb of RAM, and a decent screen. It also has a headphone jack which is a big plus IMO.

The iPad Pro is way more expensive, has no headphone jack, and also requires expensive accessories to use the USB C port (the dongles and hubs for it are in the £40 + price range).

Just be aware that both the Pro and the Air 3 are stuck to a 48khz sample rate when using headphones, which can cause issues.

• @richardyot or, if you like a smaller screen, the new Mini is also the best, which is what I bought.

To the OP: Anyway, Cubasis 2 is half the price of Cubasis 3, but the most recent updates might not be stable. I am not sure what Cubasis 3 really offers over 2, but if you are going to take advantage of importing Cubasis into Cubase, then you may not care about all the features of 3 anyway.

• Thanks @Fruitbat1919 and @richardyot !

That information is pretty useful. Am currently on an iPad 2018 and mainly want to upgrade because I went for a cheap option on a 32GB model. The CPU seems to cope with most things I throw at it but I struggle with lack of space.

I'm just wondering though, whether buying an external SSD would tide me over until next year's models..?

• @AndyPlankton said:
    I am successfully running Cubasis 3 on an iPad Air 2 .. so anything from that and above will do the job.

Except... I'm completely unable to run Cubasis 3 on a maxed out iPad Pro 9.7" - almost nothing in Cubasis works as intended, if at all.

• @Jocphone said:
    Thanks @Fruitbat1919 and @richardyot !

That information is pretty useful. Am currently on an iPad 2018 and mainly want to upgrade because I went for a cheap option on a 32GB model. The CPU seems to cope with most things I throw at it but I struggle with lack of space.

I'm just wondering though, whether buying an external SSD would tide me over until next year's models..?

I think the hassle of dealing with an external SSD is likely to be real creativity killer. Personally I would just go for as much internal storage as you can afford. I'm running a 512Gb 10.5 Pro and not having to ever worry about storage is bliss, I can stuff it full of samples without having to worry about space.

• I can't thank you all enough for the help. It seems an Air 3 is the best choice and I'll probably start with Cubasis 2. Using Pro 8 Cubase I was waiting for the bug complaints to settle down on v9 before updating but then they added v10. The wait continues.
    Thanks again!

• I've arrived at a more affordable option and would value opinions as to whether this will work. Given that anything I record will end up in Cubase Pro 8.
    I found a very affordable refurbished iPad generation 6, 128 and plan on running Cubasis 2 at first.
    I have a UR44. It's basically just a sketch pad but I'd like to be able to record live acoustic guitars with several mics on the go. Is it your opinion this will get me up and running? Thanks so much!

• edited February 2020

@vlofstead said:
    I've arrived at a more affordable option and would value opinions as to whether this will work. Given that anything I record will end up in Cubase Pro 8.
    I found a very affordable refurbished iPad generation 6, 128 and plan on running Cubasis 2 at first.
    I have a UR44. It's basically just a sketch pad but I'd like to be able to record live acoustic guitars with several mics on the go. Is it your opinion this will get me up and running? Thanks so much!

IMHO your going to be under powered, under storage’d, and under ram’d. I look for a 2nd generation iPad Pro with 512gb storage .. those have 4gb ram. I bought one off eBay still new factory sealed about 4 months ago .. you can probably still find em. A used iPad is gonna be iffy because of battery usage.

• I run Cubasis 3 on my iPhone xs max no issues and on my ipad Pro 12.9 inch 1st gen some audio bugs on the ipad but for the most part love it. They just updated the Cubasis importer as well so you can export to Cubase