Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep Jamming

edited February 2020 in Creations

I just love this app. Had it setup as such today with the new Launchpad Pro mk3 to sequence SunVox, Quanta and Continua in AUM. And well...it was a lot of fun to use.

Ended up with this piece after 45minutes or so and effected the heck out of it in AUM:

Thanks as always for watching and commenting 👊🏼™️

Comments

• Great as usual mate👍

• Nicely done! Haven’t picked up Modstep (yet) and never figured out Sunvox

• @Small_paul1976 @iOSTRAKON Many thanks for the comments. Glad you enjoyed it.

• I was listening to this somewhere else you posted.
    Loved it so much, that i'm listening again :lol:
    Even motivated me to reinstall Modstep sometime soon and will experiment with it for jamming and sending midi to Xequence :lol:

• @senhorlampada said:
    I was listening to this somewhere else you posted.
    Loved it so much, that i'm listening again :lol:
    Even motivated me to reinstall Modstep sometime soon and will experiment with it for jamming and sending midi to Xequence :lol:

Super cool and glad you enjoyed it. FWIW, try this setup:
    Load all your synths and fx in AUM
    Then route Midi Out from Modstep to those synths in AUM.

I don’t think you need Xequence in this setup. Not sure you need this unless you just want to capture a linear recording of the clips you create.

• @echoopera said:

Thanks! Better to use Modstep only as a sequencer, instead of a host

I don’t think you need Xequence in this setup. Not sure you need this unless you just want to capture a linear recording of the clips you create.

Oh yeah. I would just use Xequence to capture it all linearly. :wink:

• edited February 2020

@senhorlampada said:

@echoopera said:

Thanks! Better to use Modstep only as a sequencer, instead of a host

Oh yeah. I would just use Xequence to capture it all linearly. :wink:

Yeah. I like using Modstep as a strict sequencer. I host everything AUM because of its stability and flexible routing. Note that you can always export the midi from Modstep as well.

My advice is to start simple and build up. I think adding Xequence will be overkill since Modstep is the sequencer.

• edited February 2020

@echoopera Why don't you load your instruments and effects into Modstep?
    Because of the AUM buses?

• I think modstep is not too stable or as stable as AUM for hosting AUs but for me it was ok if you kept the number of AUs low but doesn’t compare to AUM in flexibility.

@rs2000 said:

• @Tones4Christ said:
    I think modstep is not too stable or as stable as AUM for hosting AUs but for me it was ok if you kept the number of AUs low but doesn’t compare to AUM in flexibility.

@rs2000 said:

Yep. Exactly the reason. It works but i just love the Bus routing in AUM that i keep my synths and fx hosted there and sequence with Modstep.

• @echoopera said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    I think modstep is not too stable or as stable as AUM for hosting AUs but for me it was ok if you kept the number of AUs low but doesn’t compare to AUM in flexibility.

@rs2000 said:

Yep. Exactly the reason. It works but i just love the Bus routing in AUM that i keep my synths and fx hosted there and sequence with Modstep.

Indeed, most of the time when I'm using AUM, bus routings are a natural part of the sets.
    I've started trying to be friends with BM3 because it combines the clip-based concept of Modstep with an Ableton-like mixer with 8 buses and an excellent sampler, but I'll need some more time I guess 😊

• @rs2000 said:

@echoopera said:

@Tones4Christ said:

@rs2000 said:

Indeed, most of the time when I'm using AUM, bus routings are a natural part of the sets.
    I've started trying to be friends with BM3 because it combines the clip-based concept of Modstep with an Ableton-like mixer with 8 buses and an excellent sampler, but I'll need some more time I guess 😊

Yeah BM3 is great for this type of workflow. Honestly it's an aesthetic thing...I just love the look and feel and workflow of modstep...feels like an instrument to me and I feel super jazzed whenever I use it...like it just connects with my brain so nicely. BM3 almost has that flow...but there's just something off putting about the Piano Roll...the grid lines are way too opaque and lack nuance and subtlety...

Yeah I know...like I said, it's an aesthetic thing :)

• @echoopera said:

@rs2000 said:

@echoopera said:

@Tones4Christ said:

@rs2000 said:

Yeah BM3 is great for this type of workflow. Honestly it's an aesthetic thing...I just love the look and feel and workflow of modstep...feels like an instrument to me and I feel super jazzed whenever I use it...like it just connects with my brain so nicely. BM3 almost has that flow...but there's just something off putting about the Piano Roll...the grid lines are way too opaque and lack nuance and subtlety...

Unfortunate but true! Sometimes it's difficult to get over such tiny "flaws".

• @echoopera said:

@rs2000 said:

@echoopera said:

@Tones4Christ said:

@rs2000 said:

This is an underrated sentiment. I feel the same. The stuff I make in Modstep is surprising to me. BM3 always sounds like something somebody else made: admirable, but not inspiring. To me, anyway.

@echoopera I'm interested in the routing. Do you send midi to AUM channel by channel? Or to the synths? And do you do CC modulation from Modstep? And if so, how do you set that up?

• edited February 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:

@echoopera said:

@rs2000 said:

@echoopera said:

@Tones4Christ said:

@rs2000 said:

This is an underrated sentiment. I feel the same. The stuff I make in Modstep is surprising to me. BM3 always sounds like something somebody else made: admirable, but not inspiring. To me, anyway.

@echoopera I'm interested in the routing. Do you send midi to AUM channel by channel? Or to the synths? And do you do CC modulation from Modstep? And if so, how do you set that up?

I send Midi from modstep to the AUM Destination in the OUT field with the appropriate channel number and then assign the synth in AUM to receive from AUM on their specific channels.

AUM setup

Modstep setup

• Yeah i also liked Modstep a lot and the UI also attracts me for some reason. But i just couldn’t come to grips with midi editing. So spoiled by Xequence 2. Maybe i will try again.