Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - February 2020

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

• My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

We can't make it better
    Even if we try
    Things don’t last for ever
    We have to let them die

You know I long to hear your voice
    It helps dispel the doubt
    Your songs cut through the background noise
    And let the sadness out

This beautiful song
    That you to sing to me
    It lifts me up
    It picks me up
    When you sing to me

We can take forever
    If you want to try
    Life is for the living
    So wave the ghosts goodbye

It’s been so long since you were here
    I’m missing your sweet song
    You sing to me so soft and clear
    I know that I belong

This beautiful song
    That you to sing to me
    It lifts me up
    It picks me up
    When you sing to me

• This is my latest track of "lemniscata" project.
    I synchronize gif loops with my music

Everything done in Korg Gadget.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

We can't make it better
    Even if we try
    Things don’t last for ever
    We have to let them die

You know I long to hear your voice
    It helps dispel the doubt
    Your songs cut through the background noise
    And let the sadness out

This beautiful song
    That you to sing to me
    It lifts me up
    It picks me up
    When you sing to me

We can take forever
    If you want to try
    Life is for the living
    So wave the ghosts goodbye

It’s been so long since you were here
    I’m missing your sweet song
    You sing to me so soft and clear
    I know that I belong

This beautiful song
    That you to sing to me
    It lifts me up
    It picks me up
    When you sing to me

I feel like I should be watching a dude with a Flock of Seagulls haircut making out with the hot girl on the hood of his car as the camera pans out to show us a view of Shermer, Illinois in ‘83. Dig it.

Could use a little more variety in the drums, but I can’t really talk since that’s what people say about me ;)

@mrrain said:
    This is my latest track of "lemniscata" project.

I like the textures and sounds here. I think you could do more with it though. It’s building and then drops off into the different melody which is fun and sounds cool. I would just like to see it really build to something more. I would also say some kind of riser or impact to make that transition hit a little harder too.

Both of these 80’s-esque tunes are inspiring me to finish a song I put on hold in Logic. I actually have two 80’s sounding tunes, gotta decide which to finish first.

• @richardyot Nice one again Richard! But this time not soo desperate like the last 2 months.. I can hear a bit more hope and positivity in this one ;-) I like the overall mood and I think the vocals are sounding very good! Maybe a tiny bit too prominent in the mix... Also the bassline is a bit lost, I can barely hear it...

@mrrain Very nice sounds here!!! I like the different sections and textures! Maybe this (is it called triad?).. which starts at 0:07 I would remove earlier, it gets a bit too repetitive. And in the 'tension' part at 1:29 it comes back, it is the same instrument, or? Maybe replacing it by some new instrument would be more surprising... And I second @YourJunk : the transition would profit by some impact to make it sound bigger..

• Hey guys, here is my latest project...

I've been messing around with music for about 2 1/2 years now and so I started 2020 in enrolling in a 30days online class of Music Production by Andrew Huang...I really learned a lot in this time, actually tomorrow is the last days and I still have to finish some project tonight ;-P
    But the song I post here was for the 2nd Part of the course: Sampling, Sound Design and Synthesis... So the complete drum section is made out of samples I recorded in my kitchen (pots, sink, gas stove, coffee beans, cutlery, dog, etc...)

I threw all the samples into Beatmaker 3, where I tweaked, pitched and layered some part of them to have nice sounding kicks, snares, shaker etc.. Then I imported all to Logic Pro X (I finally upgraded from Garageband!) where I arranged them...

• Hey, everyone. Here is a track that I've been working on for a while. For those curious: The drums were constructed from some of GarageBand's samples, Aly James' VPROM VST Oberheim DX, and the Roland TR-08 (The credit for the inspiration of one of the drum pattern goes to Daft Punk). The bass part was done with a Korg MS-20 mini via MIDI as well as with Korg's iMono/Poly with short pitch envelopes to create the "808" style bass later on. The lead was created with the Phoenix synth in Korg Gadget. Everything was then brought into Ableton Live for arranging, automation, and mixing. The track is longer than usual in order to perform during live sets.

• @FunkMachine I liked your last track 'Waves' much more... This one is a bit repetitive and those transitions where the music drops out and starts just quieter again somehow take away the power of the song... The sounds and the mix are really good and I like that bass!

• @richardyot I really like the evolving pads and vocals in this track. The pads create a melancholic atmosphere and dissonance at times that works as a very interesting foil to the the keys and bass. I really liked the vocals in this, melodically as well as lyrically. I would also say that perhaps the piece would benefit from bringing the levels of the instruments up more; especially, during the chorus to compliment to vocal's conveyance of emotion.

• @mrrain said:
    This is my latest track of "lemniscata" project.

That's a very nice and very melodic instrumental, with nice layers of varied sound and lots of interesting melodic content. I love the fact that despite it being quite short you have interesting changes in there so that it has a varied arrangement.

All the sounds are well chosen, the music is really good and the overall atmosphere of the track is evocative and appealing.

• @uglyskratch said:
    Hey guys, here is my latest project...

I've been messing around with music for about 2 1/2 years now and so I started 2020 in enrolling in a 30days online class of Music Production by Andrew Huang...I really learned a lot in this time, actually tomorrow is the last days and I still have to finish some project tonight ;-P
    But the song I post here was for the 2nd Part of the course: Sampling, Sound Design and Synthesis... So the complete drum section is made out of samples I recorded in my kitchen (pots, sink, gas stove, coffee beans, cutlery, dog, etc...)

I threw all the samples into Beatmaker 3, where I tweaked, pitched and layered some part of them to have nice sounding kicks, snares, shaker etc.. Then I imported all to Logic Pro X (I finally upgraded from Garageband!) where I arranged them...

Awesome, I love the edgy rhythms, and the sampling you did is really good (I especially love the dog). It actually doesn't sound like pots and pans, but the sounds do have a gritty edge to them that just makes them all the better. The bassline is killer.

The middle-eastern sounds that come in just before the minute mark were a surprise, and they add a certain spice and variety to the track and keep things interesting.

It's a fun and exciting tune, I enjoyed listening to it. The found sounds and textures really help to make this sound unique.

• @FunkMachine said:

Hey, everyone. Here is a track that I've been working on for a while. For those curious: The drums were constructed from some of GarageBand's samples, Aly James' VPROM VST Oberheim DX, and the Roland TR-08 (The credit for the inspiration of one of the drum pattern goes to Daft Punk). The bass part was done with a Korg MS-20 mini via MIDI as well as with Korg's iMono/Poly with short pitch envelopes to create the "808" style bass later on. The lead was created with the Phoenix synth in Korg Gadget. Everything was then brought into Ableton Live for arranging, automation, and mixing. The track is longer than usual in order to perform during live sets.

Ar really strong 80s vibe in this one, mostly due to the choice of sounds and patches. It's very tuneful and upbeat, well composed and well arranged. The bass line meshes very well with the lead synths and background chords, musically it's very well put together both melodically and harmonically.

• Thanks for the feedback on my track - I will look into the vocal/instrumental balance in the mix since it's been mentioned a couple of times.

• Hello, this is my new record done with Auria pro, Lumbeat drummer sequencing Addicitve Drum samples in my Yamaha Montage with its cool multiple usb-outs. All instruments are from the Yamaha too. I heard the Song Gucci by Jeff Lorber and tried to achieve something similar in style and sound. Effekt- Mastering- plugins are all Fabfilter. Mixing is still difficult for me.
    Cant use Speakers at hoome. Tried several expensive Headphones. Dont laugh: the best Translation for my Ears does a cheap 20 Euro Superlux Headphone.....

• @Franketti said:
    Hello, this is my new record done with Auria pro, Lumbeat drummer sequencing Addicitve Drum samples in my Yamaha Montage with its cool multiple usb-outs. All instruments are from the Yamaha too. I heard the Song Gucci by Jeff Lorber and tried to achieve something similar in style and sound. Effekt- Mastering- plugins are all Fabfilter. Mixing is still difficult for me.
    Cant use Speakers at hoome. Tried several expensive Headphones. Dont laugh: the best Translation for my Ears does a cheap 20 Euro Superlux Headphone.....

Nice jazzy keys - is that played live? If so it's pretty awesome playing. The improv section is a bit long for me, I would quite like some more varied patterns (like slower more lyrical passages amongst the fast playing) and some recurring motifs and themes to tie all together, but it's very musical and melodic nonetheless.

The section at the end in the different voicing is really nice, and it's a sunny upbeat jazzy toe-tapping tune.

• Thanks for your comment. Its the first time that used miditracks. Before i only did audio. I did correction of several single notes, no quantizing of all notes. Yes the rhodes solo is too long and gets a bit boring. Thanks .

• @Franketti said:
    Thanks for your comment. Its the first time that used miditracks. Before i only did audio. I did correction of several single notes, no quantizing of all notes. Yes the rhodes solo is too long and gets a bit boring. Thanks .

Well that's some seriously awesome chops you have right there, well done!

• @Franketti Very nice positive funky stuff!! Late 70ies/80ies Vibes... I like it! Awesome playing and very coherent sounding! The mix sounds very good to my ears... Maybe only the bass could be a bit more prominent... But maybe it is my headphones... (Audio Technical's ATH E-40 - The only thing I am able to use ;)) Also or me the solo isn't too long...

• Thanks, yes i think I‘ ll give it a little more bass.

• @mrrain I like the sound design choices you went with for your track. The patches you used like the electric bass, woodwind/clarinet sounding lead, and plucks (M1 Pick Bass?) blended in a very cool way with the atmospheric and modern sounds. I’d simply suggest to maybe flesh out the piece a bit more and elaborate on the ideas for greater cohesion between sections since to me, the ending of your track didn’t seem to branch off of the elements before them and sounded a bit out of place.

• @uglyskratch The mixing in this track is quite good and the elements are balanced enough that they don't step on each other. The samples and warped audio adds a lot to the track that keeps it really interesting. I also like the bass groove that you have in this track and think it compliments everything else well while also serving as an anchor. I'd only suggest to maybe transition to a different chord in your scale (like the v or f#m if you're in B minor) at some point in the track if you wanted to create a little more movement with some different elements.

• Not enough harmonic gospel on here so lets put that right. In 6/8 timing for a change. This one finds the wife in a reflective mood.

• @orchardman, nice Song. I wish I had a voice, that people like. Wich app is the piano and the drums?

• @orchardman said:
    Not enough harmonic gospel on here so lets put that right. In 6/8 timing for a change. This one finds the wife in a reflective mood.

Beautiful song, beautiful melody and beautiful arrangement.

• @Franketti said:
    @orchardman, nice Song. I wish I had a voice, that people like. Wich app is the piano and the drums?

Thanks for the feedback. This one was done using Logic Pro on the Mac. No iOS on it I’m afraid. The piano sound is actually 2 pianos layered, one of logics built in pianos, the Boesnerferner Grand and one from Arturia analogue lab. The drums are done using the drummer app in logic.

• @richardyot said:

@orchardman said:
    Not enough harmonic gospel on here so lets put that right. In 6/8 timing for a change. This one finds the wife in a reflective mood.

Beautiful song, beautiful melody and beautiful arrangement.

Thank you Richard that means a lot.

• Time to catch up with my comments for this months submissions;

@richardyot loved this one. Really good song, great production and probably your best vocal to date. It’s great that you now have the confidence in your vocal to add harmonies. Great job

@mrrain nice piece with lots of interesting things going on and some great synth sounds. If anything it was a bit short and it would have nice to hear you develop some of the ideas further. The woodpecker video made me smile.

@uglyscratch lots to get your head around in this one. Loved the rhythm sounds (did I hear a dog bark in there somewhere or did imagine it). Also loving the North African/Middle Eastern vibe. Only criticism was that the bass sound at the start was a little too much for my old ears but hey that was probably what you were going for.

@FunkMachine great overall production with some nice synth sounds. Maybe a little bit too long.

@Franketti really professional sounding production with a nice funky/jazzy vibe and some great keyboard playing. Great effort.

• @richardyot: I listen to your song twice. Its very relax to listen to.

Just a few comments:
    1. The beginning is a bit straight away. Meaby loose the drums in the beginning?
    2. At 1.54 the vocals are a bit of for my taste.
    3. Meaby you could vary the tone with the last sentence "when you sing to me"

Hope you can appreciate my comment ✌🏻

@mrrain: First of all I really like the gif 🤣 I hoped that he would suddenly go twice as fast.

The transition around 1.16 is a bit unexpected and is not very pleasant to listen to in my opinion. Meaby you could vary or loose the drums part? The start was very strong but the end nerd some more attention. Keep up rhe good work ✌🏻

@uglyskratch: wow, what an energy! I really like the Eastern influences. only comment I have is that it is sometimes incoherent. may in my opinion be a little more a whole. Do you have your music on Spotify?

@FunkMachine: really enjoyed this one 👍🏻especially the melody. Like @uglyskratch said, sometimes too much repetition. The break at 1.55 could use some attention but overall a very nice track.

@Franketti: I really like the funky vibe of your track! Production wise its very solid. The only thing I often have with this kind of music is that the energy level is the same all the time. As far as I am concerned there would be some more variation in that.

• It has been a while since I have been active on this forum. I have not stopped in the meantime and have started a new project; Tapir Music.

I made this song with Nanostudio 2, by far my favorite DAW. In addition to some sample work, I used the Poison-202 and ELECTRIBE Wave AUv3 plug-ins.

I'm curious what you think.

https://song.link/nl/i/1497651768

• @richardyot : I like your Song and your voice. For me the drums have a little too much reverb and I think the distorted synths don‘t fit. But thats my taste. Good song and lyrics.
    @DrRinkel : Thats very relaxing. Not as my run through the bars.... Nice sounds!

• @orchardman Very nice song! Peaceful! Beautiful! The arrangement is very good, the mix too (okay the vocals... ah you know... ;-)... It is actually the first song I listen today (breakfast time) Such a good choice to start the day! You guys are writing the songs together? I think it is a really beautiful thing to make music with your partner... I should push my girlfriend a bit :-) Are you guys also playing live shows? And thanks for the listen to my track!!

@DrRinkel Nice dreamy atmosphere! Chill out music! I can hear some soft female voice singing to this... Cool artwork also!
    And thanks for the listen and comment! No I don't have anything on Spotify... I'm just dabbling around so far...

Thanks for everyone listening and commenting to my track: Much appreciated! :smile: