Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    hello peeps.
    Any idea why there’s no toggle option for pads in Mozaic parameters in Aum?

I’m trying to map nanoKontrol studio buttons to Mozaics pads and would like the toggle lights on off.

Any workaround?

You use the latch property of pads to toggle them.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    hello peeps.

I’m trying to map nanoKontrol studio buttons to Mozaics pads and would like the toggle lights on off.

Any workaround?

Huh? They’re there.

I’m not clear, are you trying to toggle the lights of the NKS or of the Mozaic pads.

NKS can’t receive midi to toggle its lights on and off.

You toggle the Mozaic pad lights on and off using the LatchPad function, not by engaging the pad or not. But if you do want to toggle the pad on, I believe you send a value of 127 for on, 0 for off. Or possible, >= 64 for on, < 64 for off.

• @wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    hello peeps.

Any workaround?

Huh? They’re there.

I’m not clear, are you trying to toggle the lights of the NKS or of the Mozaic pads.

NKS can’t receive midi to toggle its lights on and off.

You toggle the Mozaic pad lights on and off using the LatchPad function, not by engaging the pad or not. But if you do want to toggle the pad on, I believe you send a value of 127 for on, 0 for off. Or possible, >= 64 for on, < 64 for off.

Thanks @wim ,

I set on NKS editor the buttons on toggle.
    I know NKS wont receive midi to switch the lights on or off but it would stil be useful as indicator.

The Mozaic knobs are with toggle but in the Aum pad parameters of Mozaic there is no toggle option.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    The Mozaic knobs are with toggle but in the Aum pad parameters of Mozaic there is no toggle option.

Sure they are. Unless I’m completely misunderstanding you. Are you sure you’re on the latest Mozaic version?

• There’s a toggle option in Aum but it’s missing from Mozaics pads.
    on

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    There’s a toggle option in Aum but it’s missing from Mozaics pads.

I’m sorry, I just don’t get what you mean. I see nothing missing. Hopefully someone else can help you.

• Ok. Thanks.

On BeatHawk toggle button exists. On Mozaic it does not ;)

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    On BeatHawk toggle button exists. On Mozaic it does not ;)

OK, now I see.

Beathawk is an audio app. The mute is for audio. Mozaic is only Midi, and AUM doesn’t have a MIDI mute.

• On other midi apps there is toggle option. Check on Octachron for instance

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    On other midi apps there is toggle option. Check on Octachron for instance

It only takes a few lines of code for you to make the pad toggle. I don't know that it would even make sense for toggle to be an option since it really depends on whether the Mozaic app you write handles toggles.

@brambos: snuck in exposing the pads without my noticing! Dang. Thanks, Bram!

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Octachron is actually outputting midi from those pads so it makes sense. Mozaic’s pads can be used for any number of things, and don’t output a thing unless you specifically program them to. To mute a pad would require assumptions about what that pad does, and that’s not possible when it can do just about anything.

• edited February 2020

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Octachron is actually outputting midi from those pads so it makes sense. Mozaic’s pads can be used for any number of things, and don’t output a thing unless you specifically program them to. To mute a pad would require assumptions about what that pad does, and that’s not possible when it can do just about anything.

unfortunately there wont be "Toggle" option available it seems:

"MIDI doesn't know toggles and I prefer to keep the parameter system nice and consistent. I don't see how it makes any difference - you need to handle it programmatically anyway."

It would have been nice to have toggle because it allows an indicator with lights on/off for controllers.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

"MIDI doesn't know toggles and I prefer to keep the parameter system nice and consistent. I don't see how it makes any difference - you need to handle it programmatically anyway."

It would have been nice to have toggle because it allows an indicator with lights on/off for controllers.

You can easily program toggling for pads. Many scripts you will find do this. You can toggle s pad's lightning and state in Mozaic. Mozaic's pads have commands that toggle their state and let you toggle whether they are lit.

• Yes, I still don’t really understand what the problem is we’re trying to solve?

You can easily program a toggle based on a threshold value?

• @brambos
    Here’s a video explanation:

I know it's not really connected via midi but it's effective enough.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovjshcnaj1jw0aw/Video 02-02-2020, 19 43 27.mov?dl=0

• @espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

You can easily program toggling for pads. Many scripts you will find do this. You can toggle s pad's lightning and state in Mozaic. Mozaic's pads have commands that toggle their state and let you toggle whether they are lit.

would be nice to have editable templates for controllers.

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Can you be more specific about what you mean? It isn't clear to me what it is that you want.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Can you be more specific about what you mean? It isn't clear to me what it is that you want.

I wish there were editable templates similarly to:

https://wiki.audiob.us/mozaic_cc_switch

but for controllers (Launchpad, nanoKontrol etc.)

with led colour lights on/off

and the rest of parameters

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    @brambos
    Here’s a video explanation:

I know it's not really connected via midi but it's effective enough.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovjshcnaj1jw0aw/Video 02-02-2020, 19 43 27.mov?dl=0

That looks simply like a programming logic error in whatever statement is calling LatchPad. I don’t know what your controller is sending when you press buttons, but here’s an example, assuming your controller is sending 127 for on and 0 for off. I’m also assuming from earlier comments that you’re linking to the AU parameter for the pad, not receiving MIDI CC’s in Mozaic.

@Description
    Lights pad 0 when AU Parameter is 127, unlights it if AU Parameter = 0
    @End

@OnPadDown
      pad = LastPad
      if pad = 0 
        if LastPadVelocity  = 127
          LatchPad pad, TRUE
        elseif LastPadVelocity = 0 
          LatchPad pad, FALSE
        endif
      endif     
    @End 

When the AU parameter hits 127, the detected velocity on the pad is 127.

Your setup or controller values may be different. I’ve assumed a lot. So, if this doesn’t do what you expect, please see if you can provide specifics.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

Note: The above example is terrible from the Mozaic UI perspective. Normally you don’t want to rely on pad velocities for things like this. You’d have to hit the exact center of the pad to get a 127 velocity, and I doubt you could even get a zero velocity.

The example above is simply as a starting point to address the controller specific issue where you want to map through an AU parameter.

From the UI, better code would be:

@OnPadDown
      if LastPad = 0
        LatchPad LastPad, (NOT PadState LastPad)
      endif
    @End

If you’d like to post the portion of your code that lights the pad, someone here might be able to suggest how to make it work right.

• edited February 2020

Hi @wim .
    That’s what my controller is sending with the toggled button 1st and 2nd press

I am not writing scripts yet :/ just using them

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Hi @wim .

First press is 127 and second press is 0 then? The code example should work for the controller. It won’t work well for the UI though. If you need both, then that could get tricky. In that case I would suggest you use one of the user AU parameters to toggle the pad from the controller. I can make an example if you like.

• @wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Hi @wim .

First press is 127 and second press is 0 then? The code example should work for the controller. It won’t work well for the UI though. If you need both, then that could get tricky.

I see. Thanks! That’s why a “toggle option of Mozaic exposed parameters would probably solve that ;)

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Hi @wim .

First press is 127 and second press is 0 then? The code example should work for the controller. It won’t work well for the UI though. If you need both, then that could get tricky.

I see. Thanks! That’s why a “toggle option of Mozaic exposed parameters would probably solve that ;)

Nope. That wouldn’t solve it. Because the parameters for pads aren’t toggles. They’re continuous values representing the velocity of the pad. They can take values from 0 through 127. Making them toggles would break existing scripts and limit the functionality of the pads.

Here’s some code that would work. But, as you’re not writing code yet, probably of no use. ;)

@Description
    Set AU parameter USER 0 to 127 to toggle pad 0 on/off. Toggling on from the Mozaic UI should update the USER 0 parameter as well ... though it doesn't seem to display that way in AUM (possibly a bug?)
    @End

@OnPadDown
      pad = LastPad

if pad = 0
        LatchPad pad, (NOT PadState pad)
        if (PadState pad) = TRUE
          SetAUParameter 0, 127
        else
          SetAUParameter 0, 0
        endif
      endif
    @End

@OnAUParameter
      param = LastAUParameter
      paramv = GetAUParameter param

if param = 0
        if paramv = 127
          LatchPad 0, TRUE
        else
          LatchPad 0, FALSE
        endif
      endif
    @End 

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

@brambos, when I set the USER 0 parameter above, the change isn’t reflected in the AUM control for that parameter like it is for knobs. Is there a problem in my script, or is this possibly a Mozaic bug?

• @wim said:
    @brambos, when I set the USER 0 parameter above, the change isn’t reflected in the AUM control for that parameter like it is for knobs. Is there a problem in my script, or is this possibly a Mozaic bug?

Possibly a bug, I’ll have a look. Thanks!

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Have you tried programming what you want?

It sounds like what you want (which is still not entirely clear to me) is pretty straightforward to program in Mozaic. Are you unsure how to do it?

I'd suggest you write the code (it is only a few lines) that toggles the latch state of a pad.

Once you have done that add the code to listen for the CC of your choice and use that CC to toggle the state.

And you can add code to send the desired CC toggle when you tap the pad, too.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

@wim said:

@Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:

Have you tried programming what you want?

It sounds like what you want (which is still not entirely clear to me) is pretty straightforward to program in Mozaic. Are you unsure how to do it?

I'd suggest you write the code (it is only a few lines) that toggles the latch state of a pad.

Once you have done that add the code to listen for the CC of your choice and use that CC to toggle the state.

And you can add code to send the desired CC toggle when you tap the pad, too.

Actually, I found it gets a little bit complicated since he wants to have the controller set the latch state via AU parameter, not MIDI CC. To do that, the pad has to only latch on when the AU Parameter is at 127 and off at 0. Well and good, except then if you want to latch the pad on from the Mozaic GUI you need to be able to hit the pad at 127 and 0 velocity. You could compromise and set it on at 64 or higher and off at below 64, but that’s still non-intuitive as you have to remember where to hit the pad, and hit it accurately.

The best solution is just to use MIDI CC’s directly and not use AU Parameters to latch the pad. Otherwise you have to do some workarounds as shown in the code above.

• @wim said:
    Actually, I found it gets a little bit complicated since he wants to have the controller set the latch state via AU parameter, not MIDI CC. To do that, the pad has to only latch on when the AU Parameter is at 127 and off at 0. Well and good, except then if you want to latch the pad on from the Mozaic GUI you need to be able to hit the pad at 127 and 0 velocity. You could compromise and set it on at 64 or higher and off at below 64, but that’s still non-intuitive as you have to remember where to hit the pad, and hit it accurately.

The best solution is just to use MIDI CC’s directly and not use AU Parameters to latch the pad. Otherwise you have to do some workarounds as shown in the code above.

Maybe someone will fund the development of these tricky requests. Like a Patreon/Lick Starter that send out iTunes gift cards for script coders that take on these low volume tricky requests. With incentives to complete a script dev's will knock them off to get "free" apps.

The Patreon manager could also price out script "bounties" and commit to payment even if someone else publishes first. We're not mercenaries there but these great scripters have
    finite resources and tend to have To Do lists that grow faster then they are able to be closed out.

A great programmer can do almost anything but no one can do everything. That takes an army of effort. Still, something will not be addressed.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

This doesn’t rise to that level of complexity. It’s more of an intellectual curiosity ... some thinking out-loud in case it helps anyone or in case someone has a better approach.

The code to do what he wanted took about 10 minutes to develop, and was mainly a thought experiment only.

I would not be interested in Mozaic coding for hire.