Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM internal keyboard CPU spikes?

edited February 2020 in Support and Feedback

I think I’ve stumbled across the problem with my recent cpu overload. It only seems to happen when I’m using the internal keyboard on 1 app while another app is in hold.

Setup
• Alpha (holding 1 key)
• Continua (wasn’t using it at the moment)
• Quanta (internal keyboard playing keys)
All sending to bus A
• RoughRider3 connected to Continua and Quanta

Bus A had TB barricade / Bark Filter /
TB Reverb

iPad Air 2 / buffer is 1024 and I tried the lower setting / iOS 13.3.1

Comments

• Do you actually have sound disruption, or is the CPU meter just showing high usage?

• Both

@wim said:
    Do you actually have sound disruption, or is the CPU meter just showing high usage?

• Not here to make devs look bad as people can probably see Im moronic but apps Iv added since ipad freezes are mononoke, continua, kb1 midi keyboard. Roughrider 3. Deleted then and reinstalled. Couldnt tell if any were a problem but then again I dont know much about computing. Surely other people would have freezing ipads if any were the issue?

• How’d it go after you reinstalled?

@sigma79 said:
    Not here to make devs look bad as people can probably see Im moronic but apps Iv added since ipad freezes are mononoke, continua, kb1 midi keyboard. Roughrider 3. Deleted then and reinstalled. Couldnt tell if any were a problem but then again I dont know much about computing. Surely other people would have freezing ipads if any were the issue?

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    How’d it go after you reinstalled?

@sigma79 said:
    Not here to make devs look bad as people can probably see Im moronic but apps Iv added since ipad freezes are mononoke, continua, kb1 midi keyboard. Roughrider 3. Deleted then and reinstalled. Couldnt tell if any were a problem but then again I dont know much about computing. Surely other people would have freezing ipads if any were the issue?

Not sure if its apps. Deleted for a while but still freezes. Will factory install then go to Apple store if it persists.

• Guess its better to work in combination with a macbook.

• I appreciate your feedback @sigma79

If you check my latest video, you’ll notice I don’t have much running. However, it’s jumping from 40% to 60% constantly [almost bouncing back and forth]. I don’t recall this doing this a few weeks ago. Really frustrating since I can’t execute the sessions the way I want.

I’m not blaming any dev. I’m new to AUM so I’m just making sure this isn’t user error or there’s some work around. I’m guessing I could use riffer more.

• edited February 2020

looks like user error/misunderstanding... but with an easy workaround:
    you constantly overshooting the mixer, indicated by the red level rectangle (in particular between min 2.00-2.30)
    Avoid that red signal under all circumstances, it never sounds cool ;)

Hint (example):
    with 2 sources playing and both reaching full level at some point in time simultanously, they will overshoot.
    To be safe in all cases, set each output to be 6dB lower (another expression for setting it to half it's original level), and then both peaks together never ever can exceed the 0dB/fs mark.
    This fs (full scale) mark is the absolute digital maximum, beyond it there's havoc... and the red indicator flares up.

You don't have to obeye to that bullet-proof instruction, but then you have to estimate in advance if there's any chance 2 peaks hit exactly the same spot in time.
    With more than 2 sources, the same applies, just figures change.

That's why track level is often somewhere around -12 to -24db in 24bit multitrack setups.
    (it very unlikely 8 tracks will hit the same spot, so you have some margin anyway)

• Thanks @Telefunky / this was a quick session so i am definitely guilty of pushing / exceeding the boundaries. I’m using TB barricade thinking it would help that issue. Need to re-evaluate and sound check. I’ll test borderland tonight and see what happens. I’m sure that app will be a little heavy on the cpu

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    I appreciate your feedback @sigma79

If you check my latest video, you’ll notice I don’t have much running. However, it’s jumping from 40% to 60% constantly [almost bouncing back and forth]. I don’t recall this doing this a few weeks ago. Really frustrating since I can’t execute the sessions the way I want.

I’m not blaming any dev. I’m new to AUM so I’m just making sure this isn’t user error or there’s some work around. I’m guessing I could use riffer more.

Keep in mind that the CPU load meters are not always terribly meaningful until the CPU load is over 90% since the load number doesn't take throttling into account. More about that here:

https://wiki.audiob.us/cpu_load_comparisons_and_testing