Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Observations

Comments

• Thanks - I agree with a lot of this personally. I've been making my living pretty much exclusively from sales (as you know) so I learned about the disconnect between time and earnings early on - it's a two-edged sword, but sales and marketing are definitely just as important as the product. A single email that takes 5 minutes to write can generate more revenue than a month's worth of effort.

Funny to see that quote from Art and Fear there, and the line about the best marketing strategy being to help people is something (coincidentally) I tweeted about a year ago, so clearly I'm learning many of the same lessons as the author of that post..

• I spent the years 2000 to 2004 running my own business. No customers happened. Nothing worked. It was one of the worst times of my life (until the next time I left my job and went out alone, in 2014, which also resulted in no customers, but this time the ramifications were far worse).

I’m about to do the same thing this year when I leave my job. I’m a bit worried that there might be no customers again this time. Still, you don’t know if you don’t try.

• @u0421793 said:
    I spent the years 2000 to 2004 running my own business. No customers happened. Nothing worked. It was one of the worst times of my life (until the next time I left my job and went out alone, in 2014, which also resulted in no customers, but this time the ramifications were far worse).

I’m about to do the same thing this year when I leave my job. I’m a bit worried that there might be no customers again this time. Still, you don’t know if you don’t try.

Good luck!

• After Making Love We Hear Footsteps
    (Galway Kinnell)

For I can snore like a bullhorn
    or play loud music
    or sit up talking with any reasonably sober Irishman
    and Fergus will only sink deeper
    into his dreamless sleep, which goes by all in one flash,
    but let there be that heavy breathing
    or a stifled come-cry anywhere in the house
    and he will wrench himself awake
    and make for it on the run—as now, we lie together,
    after making love, quiet, touching along the length of our bodies,
    familiar touch of the long-married,
    and he appears—in his baseball pajamas, it happens,
    the neck opening so small he has to screw them on—
    and flops down between us and hugs us and snuggles himself to sleep,
    his face gleaming with satisfaction at being this very child.

In the half darkness we look at each other
    and smile
    and touch arms across this little, startlingly muscled body—
    this one whom habit of memory propels to the ground of his making,
    sleeper only the mortal sounds can sing awake,
    this blessing love gives again into our arms.

• That poem is gorgeous.

• edited February 2020

Good luck @u0421793

@JohnnyGoodyear thanks very much for sharing these gifts

• How to do misery: Aeolian.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

How to do misery: Aeolian.

I've just started exploring modes, my last two songs are in Mixolydian, and I'm currently writing one in Lydian. I'll check out the video (and any more Rick Beato has done on modes as well), it's a fascinating little rabbit hole to jump down.

This is one of the Mixolydian ones, Mixolydian uses the same notes as the major scale except that the 7th is flattened, so just one note is different, but it gives a different flavour because the V chord goes from major to minor and also the melodic cadences from 7 to 1 are a full tone apart.

The app Tonaly (formally Ultimate Circle Of Fifths) is really cool for exploring modes and creating chord progressions.

• @richardyot said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

How to do misery: Aeolian.

I've just started exploring modes, my last two songs are in Mixolydian, and I'm currently writing one in Lydian. I'll check out the video (and any more Rick Beato has done on modes as well), it's a fascinating little rabbit hole to jump down.

This is one of the Mixolydian ones, Mixolydian uses the same notes as the major scale except that the 7th is flattened, so just one note is different, but it gives a different flavour because the V chord goes from major to minor and also the melodic cadences from 7 to 1 are a full tone apart.

The app Tonaly (formally Ultimate Circle Of Fifths) is really cool for exploring modes and creating chord progressions.

This def. has the melancholy quiet-days-in-Clichy feel :) So, with this new learning, do you now start out on a project and think, hmmm, I think Mixolydian this time, in other words, is there enough of a meaning in your mind between the the different modes that it informs or helps direct what you're doing from the getgo?

Because (probably) my lack of understanding of these matters I often find it's a certain sound or instrument that catches the mood of what I'm feeling or have already written lyrics for (and thus my interest in your recent patches of course).....finally, I HAVE been fiddling with Tonaly and have found it a big step forward (for me). Must keep learning. A wonderful thing unto itself of course...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    So, with this new learning, do you now start out on a project and think, hmmm, I think Mixolydian this time, in other words, is there enough of a meaning in your mind between the the different modes that it informs or helps direct what you're doing from the getgo?

No absolutely not, not at this stage anyway. It's more of a process of exploration: I'll write something in the Mixolydian mode and see what flavour that gives the music. Once I've done this a dozen times (at least) then I'll be more familiar with the mood it imbues, and might indeed think ahead of time that a specific mode might suit a specific piece or mood, but for now I'm just poking around, and finding things out by doing (as ever).

• edited February 2020

@richardyot said:
    🤣

On a completely different tangent, there's some interesting stuff here if you scroll down and around (especially in parts as regards small labels etc.):

https://soundisnotasleep.tumblr.com

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@richardyot said:
    🤣

On a completely different tangent, there's some interesting stuff here if you scroll down and around (especially in parts as regards small labels etc.):

https://soundisnotasleep.tumblr.com

Yes cool stuff, not been updated for a while though (I'm not one to talk though...)

• Simple stuff about gratitude, which has become diluted by so many folks talking about it (perhaps rather than doing it :) ). This is good and brief and well-written. And may just make you love your partner or your socks more for a moment or two....

https://www.raptitude.com/2020/02/how-to-create-gratitude/

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Simple stuff about gratitude, which has become diluted by so many folks talking about it (perhaps rather than doing it :) ). This is good and brief and well-written. And may just make you love your partner or your socks more for a moment or two....

Beautiful.. I ❤️ this thread..

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Simple stuff about gratitude, which has become diluted by so many folks talking about it (perhaps rather than doing it :) ). This is good and brief and well-written. And may just make you love your partner or your socks more for a moment or two....

He's right. I did what he suggested I should do with a loved one and I found my eyes filling with tears. And it made my day so much better!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

He's right. I did what he suggested I should do with a loved one and I found my eyes filling with tears. And it made my day so much better!

Me too. It's the deathbed during the ordinary day...

• Paul Simon here talking to Dick Cavett somewhere back before the war and he's pretty much the stiffest interview ever seen on television but then at about the 7 minute mark he picks up a guitar and begins to explain to Dick how he wrote Bridge Over Troubled Water.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Paul Simon here talking to Dick Cavett somewhere back before the war and he's pretty much the stiffest interview ever seen on television but then at about the 7 minute mark he picks up a guitar and begins to explain to Dick how he wrote Bridge Over Troubled Water.

How weird, I watched that same video just last week!

It’s worth watching the live performance of Bridge Over Troubled Water in Central Park, how the hell does Art Garfunkel sing like that? His speaking voice is actually quite deep, but his singing voice, my god.

• edited February 2020

@u0421793 said:

I know I've mentioned this elsewhere but Viv Albertine talks about Ms. Cherry (the elder) in her truly excellent/readable book...

• The production of Georges Bizet's final opera, Carmen, was delayed because of fears that its themes of betrayal and murder would offend audiences. After its premiere on 3 March 1875, Bizet was convinced that the work was a failure; he died of a heart attack three months later, unaware that it would prove a spectacular and enduring success. He was 36 years old.

• edited March 2020

This is one of you lot isn't it....

• 210 years ago:

Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art.

Frédéric Chopin, born 1st March 1810

• Wow. Thank you. I found that strangely/sadly powerful.