Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The @Lady_App_titude AGANUS Principle

McDMcD
edited January 2020 in App Tips and Tricks

@Lady_App_titude confessed here that she decide NOT to buy a new app until she has created a track with the last one. This explains a lot. It controls your overall spend and attempts to teach you every app on your iPad. That learning curve takes time and therefore, slows you down on just adding app after app after app...

@Lady_App_titude explains the AGANUS acronym below.

So, I have decided to apply this restraint on my purchasing and on the apps I have already purchased. I have too many DAW's. I'm going to have an AGANUS DAW tour and make a track on every DAWI have purchased. FREE apps will not get a slot in the schedule until the very end. Saving money on more free apps is pointless.

So... I will check my purchase history and make a track on each DAW until I can catch up.
Then I will celebrate and get Cubasis 3 and compare it to every other DAW for ease of use.

I will NOT evaluate AUM but only as a component of the Hyper-DAW of AB3+AUM+Xequence 2.

I should take 2-3 years to complete. Some of the grooveboxes will qualify and some may not.
Korg Gadget is in and GR-16 maybe not.

i will use FX and when I cover all the FX types I can buy a new Reverb, Chorus, Delay, etc.

This is going to do 2 things... save me from impulse buying and get me focused on creating music
with the tools I own.

Comments

• Not gonna get Drambo when it comes out? Admittedly, that might be in 2-3 years.

• Oh, the mendacity!

• Wellll... a “track” ... in the legal sense... can mean many different things (Your Honor)...
    I believe the Beatles set a precedent with “Her Majesty” being about 16 seconds or something.
    Sooo... if one wanted to complete a track, it would not necessarily have to be a wall-of-sound, use-every-dang-instrument-in-the-blessed-studio creation like “Born to Run”. Or so it could be argued...

• @LinearLineman said:
    Oh, the mendacity!

The quote is:
    “Oh, the humanity!”

Common mistake. So you suggest I’m full of hot air, huh?
    I’ll have you know I am releasing it in short bursts.

NOTE TO SELF: record “bursts” and make a powerful new instrument in AudioLayer. Save for an NS2 project: “Let ‘ER rip”

• edited January 2020

Ha! I don't think that's actually what I said exactly. It was not a restriction on buying new apps. My idea was just to try to use every app you purchase at least once in a project. I try to do it soon, like within the first week after buying the app. It can be a really short clip, less than a minute even. Mainly my goal was to force myself to confront the learning curve of new apps. Not that I always achieve that goal! :* o:)

I've also pretty much given up on spending time learning DAWs and mostly just use the same DAW I've used for like 30 years. And If I tried to apply the rule retroactively, it would take me several lifetimes.

• edited January 2020

I think the acronym I came up with for this was GANUS. Gear Acquired but Never Used Syndrome. As long as you use the app at least once, you've satisfied the onus of GANUS.

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    I think the acronym I came up with for this was GANUS. Gear Acquired but Never Used Syndrome. As long as you use the app at least once, you've satisfied the onus of GANUS.

GANUS it is then. I was considering LAtM and naming each piece with the App name and
    an OPUS number.

So, I'll start with GANUS 1: (probably "Auria Pro" if I recall correctly)

I joined thew Forum in 2018 and re-named myself in Jan 2019. I'm going to skip the hardware aspect and maybe try to fold them into the DAW GANUS Series.

@LinerLineman is taunting me as a person with very poor follow through.
    That's really helpful. I'll do my best to prove him wrong. He'll keep goading me to
    finish something. I've been collaborating on one of his pieces for well over 1 year.
    I'll use it when Cubasis 2 gets it's turn.

FYI: Does anyone want to give me an Auria Pro project to use as a starting point.
    I'll make it unrecognizable but I like to start with a working project that has features implemented by someone that knows the app well. @richardyot is the first name that
    I think of for Auria Pro.

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

I’m making a pledge not to purchase any new music app until I’ve produced at least one meme about the last one.

• @wim said:
    I’m making a pledge not to purchase any new music app until I’ve produced at least one meme about the last one.

Got a Tardigrain meme handy? 😁

• @wim said:

“You give me reason to live,
    You give me reason to live,
    You give me reason to live,
    “You can leave your hat on.”

Randy Newman

Purpose makes a life worth meme’ing.

• @McD said:
    I joined thew Forum in 2018 and re-named myself in Jan 2019.

What was your old handle?

• @kgmessier said:

@McD said:
    I joined thew Forum in 2018 and re-named myself in Jan 2019.

What was your old handle?

mcdtracy

• @McD said:

GANUS it is then.

And It’s not really a “manifesto”, but more of a principle. If I had to give it a name, one might call it The Anti-GANUS Principle. For everybody knows, if you consume too much gear, you’ve got GAS. And if you consume it faster than you can make use of it, you’ve got GANUS.

Basically, when things reach a breaking point, as it were, GAS come out of the GANUS.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@McD said:

GANUS it is then.

And It’s not really a “manifesto”, but more of a principle. If I had to give it a name, one might call it The Anti-GANUS Principle. For everybody knows, if you consume too much gear, you’ve got GAS. And if you consume it faster than you can make use of it, you’ve got GANUS.

Basically, when things reach a breaking point, as it were, GAS come out of the GANUS.

Compliments for the wonderfully ambiguous but politically correct choice of acronyms 😁

• @haulin_notes said:
    Wellll... a “track” ... in the legal sense... can mean many different things (Your Honor)...
    I believe the Beatles set a precedent with “Her Majesty” being about 16 seconds or something.
    Sooo... if one wanted to complete a track, it would not necessarily have to be a wall-of-sound, use-every-dang-instrument-in-the-blessed-studio creation like “Born to Run”. Or so it could be argued...

Boolean is only good for transistors (when arrayed in an on/off switched device).

For the rest of us it's shades of color, luminosity and opacity.

I know what a track will be for me. Music I consider to be done and uploaded to SoundCloud.

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@McD said:

GANUS it is then.

That is friggin hysterical!

• But what about gear that you bought for research purposes?

• @McD said:

@haulin_notes said:
    Wellll... a “track” ... in the legal sense... can mean many different things (Your Honor)...

Boolean is only good for transistors (when arrayed in an on/off switched device).

For the rest of us it's shades of color, luminosity and opacity.

I know what a track will be for me. Music I consider to be done and uploaded to SoundCloud.

😊👍 Exactly. If one can’t achieve some Golden Mean between the inhospitable extremes of Yin and Yang, then perhaps a “copperplated middle” will do nicely. As for finished pieces of music, the birds outside my window are far more productive than I could hope to be. The original cloud of sound. Even the cricket string section is prodigious. The yearly cricket who finds its way inside our house seems to love the reverberating acoustics and the solo spotlight to sing us to “sleep”, lol. 🦗

• @kinkujin said:

@Lady_App_titude said:

@McD said:

GANUS it is then.

That is friggin hysterical!

BTW, even if you just use your acquired gear to literally make fart noises, that’s still using it in a project and qualifies for anti-GANUS tax credits. :D

• @brambos said:
    But what about gear that you bought for research purposes?

Now that's just looking for the loophole. If I understand my tax code, items purchased must "be put into service" by 12/31 so GANUS purchases would not qualify. :#

• McDMcD
    edited January 2020

@brambos said:
    But what about gear that you bought for research purposes?

Hey... you're either FERUS or AGANUS. I'm willing to make a @Brambos exception to
    insure you help make this effort be effective.

People will want to know what FERUS means and I need a moment.

Fully Engaged in Reseaching Utililties and Synths.

@Brambos is clearly a lifetime addict and totally FERUS. Of course, he also has a financial interest in this lifestyle and creative life.

I think it's disrespectful to NOT use a purchased app before buying another new shiny trinket.

• edited January 2020

Technically this is App Acquired but Never Used Syndrome. Just thought I would point that out. Not sure anyone wants to change the acronym :#

• @Hmtx said:
    Technically this is App Acquired but Never Used Syndrome. Just thought I would point that out. Not sure anyone wants to change the acronym :#

True. But it's probably very apt for @Lady_App_titude since she's not a strictly software based creative. She's got a huge cache of hardware I suspect and probably covets new Gear
    all the time. She seems to slum here with the no budget slackers just for the conversations.

@bedheadproducer, @flo26, @richardyot and many others are probably fans of gear and apps to get the sounds they want to put out.

• I'm starting with my Auria Pro Project and would like advice or pointers on using AU MIDI FX
    in AP. I can't find a mention in the manual or on the Auria Pro Forum. I hate to bother
    WaveLabs if anyone can help me use this functionality which is listed on the App Store
    as:

Improved support for Audio Unit MIDI processing plugins

• @McD said:

@Hmtx said:

True. But it's probably very apt for @Lady_App_titude since she's not a strictly software based creative. She's got a huge cache of hardware I suspect and probably covets new Gear
    all the time. She seems to slum here with the no budget slackers just for the conversations.

@bedheadproducer, @flo26, @richardyot and many others are probably fans of gear and apps to get the sounds they want to put out.

YES Im not exclusively an IOS guy, but I can honestly say that I spend way more time on IOS than my PC when it comes to creating electronic music. For guitar I use both equally. However I don't do hardware synths or fx units. I'm now strictly a software guy. The only main hardware I use is a kemper profiler for live guitar preamp (I use PA speaker to amp it)

When I record guitar I almost exclusively use software amp emulation and don't print anything, so I have the freedom to change tones after the fact any time. I've grown used to the minimal latency and don't even notice it most days.
    I'm pretty much anti hardware, for the simple fact that I don't enjoy programming hardware through a tiny window where I have to menu dive. Even my kemper is mostly programmed using software as my interface. If kemper made a software version that worked on an iphone, I would replace that too. Also, I dont enjoy hauling a lot of gear. I've never had roadies, so I like to be able to get in and out quickly with minimal setup time. I do enjoy tube amps, but not fx loops and fx units and cables and power adapters and extra added noise. That's why I've opted for solutions where the effects are built in for years. I was a line 6 devotee for a long time until kemper pretty much blew them out of the water. I could probably also use an AXE fx virtual amp unit but why should i since I love my kemper. It's my fav piece of hardware I've ever owned, and it's basically software in hardware form, since there are no tubes and it's all emulation.
    If I could condense all my needs and have them satisfied using just and iphone or IPad, I would. I'm just waiting for that day, probably 2 to 6 years from now, but I'm already super close. I could almost do without a desktop. Its mainly just a large monitor for youtube and netflix for me.

• McDMcD
    edited January 2020

I hate it when we start recommending hardware unless the hardware costs less than $10.

Now I'm going to be haunted by dreams of owning a new Kemper.

Then I hear @bedheadproducer play and I remember that I could never play like that so I don't really NEED the Kemper. I need to practice which costs me nothing!

Kemper is my reward when I have earned it. 10,000 days... That's 27 years. People will say 10,000 dais is too long an estimate but I'm sure @bedheadproducer spent more hours per day than I ever would because I'm reading, watching TV and talking long walks... and doing mandatory repairs to the castle or watching someone do them.

So, NO NEW hardware until I pay off my IOS debts with the AGANUS project.

Auria Pro is coming along. I'm watching all the training videos before I start making my
    "Fart Noise Symphony". I'm learning to Sample "Trombo-blasts" (trade mark pending).
    Pitch shifting sounds too fake. I need to sample people of many sizes.

"Hey lady, does your kid have a nice fart noise? I'm auditioning for a counter-tenor farter. No money but I'll give him creative commons credit."

For the larger body sizes I just use a field recorder in a busy public restroom.

NOTE TO SELF: look for hardware to create a line of "Smell-o-vision" apps. I found some fart essences but I need to trigger the dispenser with MIDI.

Wow. This puts a new face on AG-ANUS. Future Farters of America?

• @McD said:
    I hate it when we start recommending hardware unless the hardware costs less than $10.

Now I'm going to be haunted by dreams of owning a new Kemper.

Then I hear @bedheadproducer play and I remember that I could never play like that so I don't really NEED the Kemper. I need to practice which costs me nothing!

Kemper is my reward when I have earned it. 10,000 days... That's 27 years. People will say 10,000 dais is too long an estimate but I'm sure @bedheadproducer spent more hours per day than I ever would because I'm reading, watching TV and talking long walks... and doing mandatory repairs to the castle or watching someone do them.

So, NO NEW hardware until I pay off my IOS debts with the AGANUS project.

Auria Pro is coming along. I'm watching all the training videos before I start making my
    "Fart Noise Symphony". I'm learning to Sample "Trombo-blasts" (trade mark pending).
    Pitch shifting sounds too fake. I need to sample people of many sizes.

"Hey lady, does your kid have a nice fart noise? I'm auditioning for a counter-tenor farter. No money but I'll give him creative commons credit."

For the larger body sizes I just use a field recorder in a busy public restroom.

NOTE TO SELF: look for hardware to create a line of "Smell-o-vision" apps. I found some fart essences but I need to trigger the dispenser with MIDI.

Wow. This puts a new face on AG-ANUS. Future Farters of America?

In all fairness, I wanted one for 5 years before I finally sold a bunch of gear to get one and I had a specific need, being in a metal band, having been on tour in Europe and opening up for Accept and hearing them have excellent tone. I learned on that tour that taking an amp head on tour in Europe is almost as expensive as paying for a friend's way to come with you on tour. At the moment I'm not in a band(pretty recent development) and I don't actually need the Kemper, but it just sounds so good and works so well that it is what I practice through. But I also mentioned that I only use plugins for the most part to record with so that I can change my tone after the fact. If there was an amp that could use VSTs live without latency or the danger or crashing live, I would be fine with that....the kemper is really overkill for what I need and quite expensive, so it's like dragging around a big wad of cash everywhere. For instance it defeats the purpose to go busking with a 2800 amp and asking for change. People would be like "If you can afford a kemper, we don't need to give you any spare change!" Not to mention I might get mugged for it. So, I was not trying to promote the Kemper here.....I was just being honest about my one and only piece of hardware. Thanks for the kind words btw.
    As far as ever being able to play like me, you'd probably be surprised at how long it took for me to play anything technical. I've been playing 38 years now, so it just sort of happened like yesterday...lol. That's what it feels like and not like I had anything to do with it. I just loved playing and sucked badly at almost everything else that takes skill so it was easy for me to keep doing it for hours because it was the only really rewarding thing to put that kind of time into.
    it's really about consistency. If you practice daily AND spend at least some of the time working on things you can't play yet....meaning, not the fun part, the work, then you WILL continue to improve until the day you die. Most people though, at some point, stop working on things they can't play and opt to play what they can play, so that they can enjoy themselves without a lot of thought put into it, or extraneous effort. My personal way to get past my hedonistic side that just likes to play what I can play, was to work on tedious stuff without and amp, while watching TV, almost subconsciously....you know, wax on , wax off, over and over until it manifested itself into my playing somehow. So don't give up on yourself...it's not an age thing. I'm 52 and I'm better now than I was 3 or 2 or even one year ago, but only because I want to , only because it's important to me. Nobody else cares if I continue to improve or not....so it's up to me. By the way, if you ever want any tips or lessons on skype or anything, I'll gladly share for free. Lastly, there are lots of players that can out shred me. I may be on a certain level, but it most certainly not the top. Now, I do know how to get lots of millage out of stuff I do know, so I probably come across as a better player than I actually think I am. I'd love to be way better, so you see, the self torture , as a musician, never stops no matter how good you get. It's just par for the course. At this point I'm just happy I can play enough to express myself enough to write songs and perform live. I really suck at memorization though. Everyone has their weaknesses and strengths. Again, I appreciate the constant kind words you have to say about my playing. I really do appreciate that after all the work I've done over the years, that someone gets how difficult it is to make headway on the electric guitar. I'm not alone. :)

• @bedheadproducer said:

@McD said:

In all fairness, I wanted one for 5 years before I finally sold a bunch of gear to get one

You sell your tools? I have always regretted it. The Whirly, the Camco drums, the Petrof Grand, the Meagen Vibes... my newphew want to give me his Fender Rhodes with Amp/Speaker cabinet. but we don't have room for it. He won't sell it but he wants to see me have it. He's got some nice synths and also trades to raise funds for the next big thing.
    I'd probably pay him if I took it so he could make his DJ rig more portable.

Again, I collect and you and my nephew are a Pro that tours, busks, plays gigs so isolating the best rig with mobility is just being prepared for the next job.

I only confer Pro on the basis of financial details and sources of income. For great players I just call them Monsters. Producer is also more of a financial distinction. We are all artists and some are Monsters.

• @McD said:

@bedheadproducer said:

@McD said:

In all fairness, I wanted one for 5 years before I finally sold a bunch of gear to get one

You sell your tools? I have always regretted it. The Whirly, the Camco drums, the Petrof Grand, the Meagen Vibes... my newphew want to give me his Fender Rhodes with Amp/Speaker cabinet. but we don't have room for it. He won't sell it but he wants to see me have it. He's got some nice synths and also trades to raise funds for the next big thing.
    I'd probably pay him if I took it so he could make his DJ rig more portable.

Again, I collect and you and my nephew are a Pro that tours, busks, plays gigs so isolating the best rig with mobility is just being prepared for the next job.

I only confer Pro on the basis of financial details and sources of income. For great players I just call them Monsters. Producer is also more of a financial distinction. We are all artists and some are Monsters.

@Lady_App_titude is a Pro Producer and a Monster Artist. Right? We should all try to see the value in any genre and I try to follow respected artists. I made the effort with NIN, Slim Shady (I know, I'm a Boomer), D'Angelo and was rewarded for the effort.

• McDMcD
    edited February 2020

UPDATE: Slow going with Auria Pro but mostly due to my terrible work habits. I've decided NOT to just produce something with with Fart Noises but really give AP a chance to show it's potential. I cracked the code on the MIDI FX routing and would like to try importing an SFZ instrument made with SynthJacker since AP has the best SFZ importing sampler with the embedded Lyra sample playback engine. Now just for giggles I might make a Fart-o-phone using AudioLayer and then SynthJack it into an SFZ. Not sure.

I do know this plan has saved me well in excess of $100.