Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad freezing

What do you need to do if ipad screen keeps monentarily not responding?

Is it an app?

Does resetting lose AUM recordings?

Thanks.

Comments

• edited February 2020

@sigma79 said:
    What do you need to do if ipad screen keeps monentarily not responding?

Is it an app?

Does resetting lose AUM recordings?

Thanks.

A full reset will delete everything and if you have apps that are not on the AppStore anymore (it can happen that you won't find one or another in your purchased history anymore), they're gone forever.

Reboot doesn't help?
    Also try disabling background app refresh completely (Settings > General ...)

• Thanks.

Just deleted latest apps.

Will see if its fixed.

• Is reboot to hold down power button, then use slider?

• What model iPad do you have?

• @sigma79 said:
    Is reboot to hold down power button, then use slider?

Yes.

• @rs2000 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Is reboot to hold down power button, then use slider?

Yes.

Thanks.

Ipad air 3.

No IOS 13.

Deleted latest apps. If it keeps freezing will just have to lose AUM saves and factory reset.

• Said will never use it for internet surfing. After/if reset wont use for internet. Might just be an app.

Cant have a screen freezing.

• The Air3 still has a home button, right?
    Hold the home button and the power button down at the same time until the screen goes dark. Then the apple logo will come on. Let go of the buttons and you are rebooted.

• Is that a factory reset Ben?

• @sigma79. No that is a reboot.
    For factory reset you have to go to settings>general>reset.
    I’m not recommending you do that because you may lose data.
    I’m describing a reboot. I do it to my Air2 and Pro 11 before every session and I get smooth sailing.

• Normal shutdown= power button then slider

Reboot= home button and power. Even if Ipad isnt frozen. To maybe reboot more than a shutdown?

• Will reboot.

Cheers Ben.

• @sigma79 said:
    Normal shutdown= power button then slider

Reboot= home button and power. Even if Ipad isnt frozen. To maybe reboot more than a shutdown?

That is correct sir. The method I described a few posts earlier.

• Cheers Ben. Cant be sure if its fixed yet but will see.

• I’ve had the some momentary pausing in AUM on an intermittent basis. Closed out everything and rebooted. It creeps back in after an indeterminate amount of time.

Nothing debilitating but definitely concerning.

@j_liljedahl

iPad 2018 10.5” 13.3

• Ram flush:

Press power button until sider comes up then long press home button until it takes you back to the home screen.

This doesn’t seem to work on iOS 13 but should be ok for earlier versions.

• Using the onscreen slider is the normal shutdown method. It allows the OS to do all housekeeping and gracefully shutdown processes, close open files, etc., before going into standby. This is why it takes a few seconds and you see a spinning gear.

Holding the home and power buttons is a "force restart". It's equivalent to pulling the power on a desktop and is really meant for dealing with problems where a normal, graceful shutdown doesn't work.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/restart-ipad-ipad63d30b5a/ipados

In this day and age, especially with APFS, the likelihood of data corruption with a force restart is extremely low, approaching zero (back in the early, e.g. iOS 1, days force reboots could rarely cause data corruption), but normal shutdown is still the preferred method of restarting, with a force restart saved for when the normal method doesn't work.

There's another method people use to deal with "zombie" processes or memory that isn't being released by an app that has been shutdown. Commonly referred to as "reseting RAM" it's unclear exactly what is going on, but it's probably similar to "force quitting" apps on a computer (but it does it for all apps at once). This isn't a full reboot, so the OS processes are probably unaffected, so it's possible that it's "safer", but this is really just a guess (and as noted even force reboots really aren't dangerous). It is quicker than either of the reboots, however.

For devices with a Home button, you simply press to power button until you see the shutdown slider. However, instead of using the slider, you hold down the Home button for 5-6 seconds (just the home button) until the screen flashes.

• Still freezes. Have to wait for it to respond constantly.

Rebooted. Ram reset. Will have to factory reset probably and maybe save some audio recordings.

Hope this isnt apple forcing me to upgrade to ios 13.

£600 new ipad, hundreds software. Interface, controllers.

Not ideal.

Will use it more if and when fixed because it seems like all in all it dosent last long.

• @sigma79 said:
    Still freezes. Have to wait for it to respond constantly.

Rebooted. Ram reset. Will have to factory reset probably and maybe save some audio recordings.

Not ideal.

Will use it more if and when fixed because it seems like all in all it dosent last long.

It might also be a hardware issue. If it's still under warranty, don't wait and have it checked at the Apple store.

• @rs2000 said:

@sigma79 said:
    Still freezes. Have to wait for it to respond constantly.

Not ideal.

It might also be a hardware issue. If it's still under warranty, don't wait and have it checked at the Apple store.

Not sure. Didnt buy apple care. Have to press buttons a few times. Completely laggy.

• Still has warrenty. Obviously Id factory reset before as they would ask. Will it automatically upgrade to ios 13 or stay at 12?

Is ios 13 fixed?

The korg bt app theres an update ( which is pending to be updated on my updates ) Says to update firmware for korg controllers addionally.

Can try updating that if theres a conflict. Can update to ios 13. Can restore factory. Can go to an apple store.

Screen just freezes. Even Aum cant slide across. Sometimes even the shutdown switch freezes.

• I get paranoid also. The possibilty there might be bored people with access to your tech, just messing about as if its a game. If it happens again after fixed or a new ipad. Id switch to a hardware unit and be done with it.

• So.

Deleted apps again. Reset ram. Untangled audio interface cables ( just in case )

Will do a factory reset if needed, then off to the apple store!

Only recordings really are stuff like the bush Krell already on dropbox and loads of free drum samples, which might transfer to icloud if needed.

• @audiblevideo said:
    I’ve had the some momentary pausing in AUM on an intermittent basis. Closed out everything and rebooted. It creeps back in after an indeterminate amount of time.

@j_liljedahl

iPad 2018 10.5” 13.3

Not unusual if I export from another app to AS that AS will freeze and need a re-start.

• edited February 2020

There's a known issue (aham, known to users, Apple still won't admit to it) with iPad pros doing this and its a hardware issue (my iPad pro has been doing it for a long time, bastard started a week after the warranty expired). So I did tonnes of research on this issue many months ago.
    However I've not come accross this beig widespread reported for non Pros. If it is a hardware issue there's nothing you can do other than return it.
    If its a software issue and a restart hasn't fixed it, if your stuff is backed up to iCloud then a hard reset might fix it (this is there everything will be erased entirely from your iPhone and put it back into a virgin state) before restoring from iCloud.

• @audiblevideo said:
    I’ve had the some momentary pausing in AUM on an intermittent basis. Closed out everything and rebooted. It creeps back in after an indeterminate amount of time.

@j_liljedahl

iPad 2018 10.5” 13.3

Didnt notice your comment. Same.

Decided to Factory reset.

If theres no hardware issue, at least theres 256gb of empty space.

• I have a problem with iPad Pro, where touches are not always acknowledged by the device. When using a cheap stylus, it doesn’t seem to have the problem. With a midi keyboard connected, it works. It’s only my fingers.

I’ve read that a little lotion can help. I’m not sure if your problem is similar to mine. But it seems like a lot of the Pro devices have problems.

But if you still have the warranty active, then it would be well worth it to use that.

• Just setting up Ipad to see if its still glitchy. Anyone got any main apps to install first?

Not like it would help.

Obviously will add AUM first.

• @sigma79 said:

@audiblevideo said:

@j_liljedahl

iPad 2018 10.5” 13.3

Didnt notice your comment. Same.

Decided to Factory reset.

If theres no hardware issue, at least theres 256gb of empty space.

Can you both elaborate on what you're seeing?
    E.g.
    What, exactly is happening? Is everything (audio, graphics, touch response, home button, etc.) frozen? Just a few things?
    Is the screen blacking out or just frozen?
    What apps are running at the time? (What apps specifically, also are they running as AUv3 or IAA?)
    What is being hosted where? What's the "master" app?
    Are things crashing? I.e. does the app drop you back to the Home screen? Does the extension go red in the AUM node and ask to be reloaded?

Is it anything at all related to what I posted about here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33289/iaa-link-apps-freezing-issue-patterning-and-fugue-machine-but-probably-an-os-host-issue ?

• Touch response across all apps maybe. Use AUM. Couldnt tell if it were the same outside of host but was likely as it was also when you press home screen and flick away apps and also shutdown swiper. Shutdown would just go back to home screen/fail. Apps etc wouldnt respond, intermitently.

Seems ok now.

Have loaded AUM. Apparillo.

Might install midi generator/s.

Pick a tempo and learn the synth more.

Could save presets to icloud on some stuff.

Think theres a way to backup important midi.

Might add ios 13 and buy a storage device.

Dont want to return later complaining.

Thanks.