Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to launchpad in AUM?

So basically my idea was to extract the stems from all my unfinished Gadget projects and put them in BeatHawk as loops. I imagine having 3 or 4 instances of BeatHawk in AUM that launch the loops, which I then mangle through Turnado. Pretty much like a modular Launchpad.

The problem so far is that BeatHawk doesn’t recognize the exported wav files as loops. From what I gathered it’s the missing loop point data. I read that BM3 and IMPC 2 can write loop points into a wav file (or do they create apple loops?). I don’t have neither of these apps and no intention of getting them. BUT, could EG Pulse maybe write the necessary meta data or even replace BeatHawk completely as a clip launcher? EG Pulse seems more worthy of my money 😏

Could someone with EG Pulse check that out for me? 😬

Comments

• Did you look up in the Beathawk manuals?
    The sample editing is limited there.
    How about PC or Mac Audio Editors?

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz said:
    Did you look up in the Beathawk manuals?

Yes, but it’s not very helpful in that regard. You can read more about my „problem“ here

The sample editing is limited there.
    How about PC or Mac Audio Editors?

Shure, that would be the easiest way, but my hate for Windows (and my lack of money for a Mac) make me only get the notebook from the attic in emergency cases. And that’s not yet an emergency. 😋
    I try to stay 100% iOS. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• @Artvarg

You don't really need apple loops or any metadata to do that.
    If the audio exported as a loop (synced rec start/rec stop) and the tempo is the same, all you need to do is enable "one-shot" option on envelope page and trigger that pad from the sequencer. You can use "mute" page to start/stop clips in sync or define chokes (4 groups) for loops you want to cut each other out.
    If the tempo isn't the same use can stretch the audio by percentage on the editor page.

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    @Artvarg

You don't really need apple loops or any metadata to do that.
    If the audio exported as a loop (synced rec start/rec stop) and the tempo is the same, all you need to do is enable "one-shot" option on envelope page and trigger that pad from the sequencer.

I don’t quite understand. Do you mean the BH sequencer? Right now if I put it on „one-shot“ it plays once and then I have to retrigger it.

• edited January 2020

@Artvarg
    Yes, your internal seq retriggers your loops as it loops as well. By muting/unmuting those triggers your loops stop/start in sync - quantised to loop length, so it's all about how your loops are prepped/arranged across the AU instances to accommodate your music and various loop lengths.

• @0tolerance4silence
    That sounds like it should work. Thanks. I‘ll give it a spin tonight.

• If you simply need launching loops try ZenBeats ,I think Garageband can do it ,too

• edited January 2020

Maybe this helps doing it in Zenbeats (it could be done with the Free version, no need to IAP) and then export or doing whatsoever.

Roland Zenbeats - Tutorial: Part 3 - Loop Builder

• Thanks for the tips. The Zenbeats workflow looks pretty cool. Sadly Zenbeats has been so unstable for me, that I stopped using it. I really wanna do this in AUM, since every DAW felt limiting in some areas.
    So I‘ll try the BeatHawk setup when I find some time and if that doesn’t work, I might give Zenbeats or GarageBand another chance.

• @Artvarg said:
    Thanks for the tips. The Zenbeats workflow looks pretty cool. Sadly Zenbeats has been so unstable for me, that I stopped using it. I really wanna do this in AUM, since every DAW felt limiting in some areas.
    So I‘ll try the BeatHawk setup when I find some time and if that doesn’t work, I might give Zenbeats or GarageBand another chance.

FYI, I’ve been trying to do exactly what you are... make my own “version” of launch pad in AUM... until we get something that can hold, play/trigger, control multiple samples as an AU in AUM, it’s just not possible now... people will tell you there is, but as I understand you, the best I’ve come up with is to have a track per sample in AUM and either use mutes or insert a native AUM gain fx and map it to a midi button that can latch. So it’s like a switch. It’s cumbersom and you can end up with a ton of tracks, but it does give you the ultimate in flexibility.

• @Artvarg said:
    Thanks for the tips. The Zenbeats workflow looks pretty cool. Sadly Zenbeats has been so unstable for me, that I stopped using it. I really wanna do this in AUM, since every DAW felt limiting in some areas.

FYI I’m using Zenbeats a lot lately and I have to say that since latest updates I find it pretty stable. I don’t know if it’s only a matter of AUv3 I’m using or it is fixed in a good way.

• I'd just load the Gadget clips in Modstep or BM3 or NS2 (on the linear timeline) and arrange and process them there. I don't even understand what advantage AUM would give you here.

• @rs2000 said:
    I'd just load the Gadget clips in Modstep or BM3 or NS2 (on the linear timeline) and arrange and process them there. I don't even understand what advantage AUM would give you here.

I am looking for something performance oriented where I can jam around with loops from all my unfinished stuff. Kinda like Launchpad app, but with all the AUv3 possibilities.
    But since I don’t have my mind free for the tedious setup needed to get something like that to work in AUM I will look elsewhere.

I just rediscovered Blocs Wave which at least makes my Loops instantly usable (bpm match, etc). Maybe I’ll even dig out the money for the Launchpad pro unlock. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• edited January 2020

@Artvarg said:

@rs2000 said:
    I'd just load the Gadget clips in Modstep or BM3 or NS2 (on the linear timeline) and arrange and process them there. I don't even understand what advantage AUM would give you here.

I am looking for something performance oriented where I can jam around with loops from all my unfinished stuff. Kinda like Launchpad app, but with all the AUv3 possibilities.
    But since I don’t have my mind free for the tedious setup needed to get something like that to work in AUM I will look elsewhere.

I just rediscovered Blocs Wave which at least makes my Loops instantly usable (bpm match, etc). Maybe I’ll even dig out the money for the Launchpad pro unlock. 🤷🏼‍♂️

OK, launching loops plus AUv3 support limits the candidates to BM3 and Modstep.
    I actually wouldn't purchase the LP pro pack again. The effects are too limited to be musically and creatively useful and it can only be a MIDI clock master, which doesn't play well in my setup.
    Using AUv3 FX in BM3 or Modstep combined with recording live FX tweaks is on a different level, really.

Edit: Modstep requires you to load each loop as a sample in its in-board sampler. Not the most intuitive way of using loops.
    So in fact there's only BM3 left for my recommendation.
    It also doesn't have the same limitation as Launchpad regarding the number of loops.

• @rs2000 I don’t want to invest in abandoned apps, so BM3 and Modstep are no option for me. Still deciding if I invest in EG Pulse or the Launchpad unlock. Your comment made me lean towards EG Pulse again 🤔

• @Artvarg said:
    @rs2000 I don’t want to invest in abandoned apps, so BM3 and Modstep are no option for me. Still deciding if I invest in EG Pulse or the Launchpad unlock. Your comment made me lean towards EG Pulse again 🤔

Any app can become abandoned within a day. My take on it is to use what's available today, more like in vintage hardware groove boxes that had their issues and rarely got software updates but there was a number of things they could do pretty well and lots of people used them successfully anyway.

You can never be sure but life isn't infinite either 😅
    Suppose you had relied on Cubasis 2, now purchased big-bucks C 3 in the hope that you get a better and more stable app, just to find that it isn't really the case - so what's the better option?
    To each his own decision. Good luck with yours.