Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

(Newbie) Korg Module Pro in Audiobus with Midiflow Splitter (and additional launching problems)

edited January 2020 in General App Discussion

Hi,

I'm new user of Audiobus and I'm trying to get a good understanding of how things work. As a matter of fact, I've not used my iPad before for musical purposes. So please be a bit forebearing if I ask stupid questions.

I use an electric piano connected with the Apple Lightning to USB3 adapter to an iPad Air 2. This part works fine.

Problem 1: Korg Module Pro

In the MIDI section, I can select the piano as a MIDI input device and Midiflow Splitter as an effect.
As an output, I see various synths, but not Korg Module.

In the Audio section, I am able to select Module as an input and can listen through the headphones, but still not see it as an output option in the MIDI section.
In contrast to other apps (Audio Synth One, Animoog, etc.) that appear here.

I read that Module has some problems with full Audiobus support and that there may be a workaround with Gadget, but I don't know how this works (I currently only have the free Gadget LE).

In my research, I also stumbled across some way to make some kind of Virtual MIDI Connection but could not find a proper documentation how this works in detail.

Problem 2: Apps not launching – cannot split in Midiflow

With apps such as FM player and D1, I have a different problem: When I define them as output devices in MIDI and/or as input devices in the Audio section, my iPad tells me that I need to tap them to launch.

Which I do. Next, the app is launched in the foreground. From what I have read, it should automatically switch back to Audiobus, but this does not happen.

When I manually switch back to Audiobus, it tells me at the app icon "Launching". But this launching never ends – although I can hear through the headphones that the app is active and receives MIDI signals!

However, when I go to Midiflow splitter, the apps in their "launching" state do not appear (only generic Audiobus icons).

Could this have to do with the limited resources of my iPad Air 2? I hope not.

I appreciate any help – my thanks to you
Christian

Comments

• edited January 2020

For #1, in the Midi output select menu, there are tabs along the bottom to select AU or IAA apps. One section is called System. In there you can select Virtual Midi as the output. Try using that, and also select that Midi source as the Input in your IAA app Midi settings.

For #2, IAA apps usually hook up better with hosts if you launch them separately, then add them to the host. If you are trying to open Saved sessions it can be a hassle to do this, but there is a way to use the iOS Shortcuts app to launch the IAA apps first, using a Shortcuts script.

I don’t have Module or use the Shortcuts app much, but this should point you in the right direction. Other forum members will be able to fill in any blanks for you if you need more info.

• @CracklePot's approach will work with both issues you're coming across, @coeoe. For Problem 2, launch FM Player 2 first, then go back to Audiobus and select "FM Player 2" under the VIRTUAL MIDI section (which, as @CracklePot mentions, is in the System section).

• edited January 2020

Thanks @CracklePot and @kgmessier
    I will try this in the next days.