Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for a “virtual drummer” or alternative for Cubasis 3

edited January 2020 in General App Discussion

I find the included drum loops (both midi and audio) pretty limiting in Cubasis 3. So, I imported a few midi drum loops from Groove Monkee.

Problems were:

1. I could only import one loop at a time via AudioShare, as apparently it is not possible to import folders. So, it takes ages.
  2. Can’t preview external drum loops without moving them into a project.
  3. Double tapping an external loop doesn’t land on the selected track in Cubasis 3, but creates a new blank track for the loop. This is a bug that I have reported to Steinberg. (This doesn’t happen with midi loops included in Cubasis.)

Is there an drum app or “virtual drummer “ with a reasonable range of loops that works well in Cubasis? Any other suggestions for a drums solution that doesn’t involve tapping out my own rhythms? Guess I’m looking for an iOS equivalent of something like EZ Drummer, Addictive Drums 2 or similar from the VST world.

Just read about Positive Grid’s X Drummer - could I use that as an inter-app or AU?

Comments

• Drum Session and X Drummer are two pretty good apps. I actually just imported a bunch of my midi drum loops from my desktop to my ipad using the iMazing app on mac. If you can do a desktop to ipad import, cubasis allows you to create new folders which are pretty easy to navigate. I now have all my wav and midi loops in cubasis 3 now. its convenient.

• Check out the Lumbeat apps.
    There are a variety of styles (although a lot of crossover between them - the reggae one, for instance, can getting pretty rocking and pretty funky) but they are by far the best for authentic sounding and easy to program drum sounds.

• I give a thumbs up to Drum Session and thumbs-down to X Drummer. To me X Drummer has both inferior kits and grooves.

Drum Session also has velocity sensitive pads.

• X drummer is absolutely the worst app I ever bought. No feeling in the grooves and the kits sound awful (but the pictures are lovely). Unfortunately I couldn’t get a refund on it, luckily it was only $10.

• Great apps in desperate need for fixes and updates.

If @LuisMartinez ever gets back on track with his apps :-(

@TimRussell said:
    Check out the Lumbeat apps.
    There are a variety of styles (although a lot of crossover between them - the reggae one, for instance, can getting pretty rocking and pretty funky) but they are by far the best for authentic sounding and easy to program drum sounds.

• Not sure if they can be used in Cubasis, but GarageBand’s “Drummers” are the best virtual drummers I’ve ever seen/heard/used. It’s essentially like having a real drummer. Plenty of options to get the beat you’re after, with controllable, varied, natural sounding fills, crashes, etc where appropriate.

• @topaz said:
    Great apps in desperate need for fixes and updates.

@TimRussell said:

What needs fixed/updated?
    Solid workhorses as far as I’m concerned!

• Thread here.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/741528#Comment_741528

@TimRussell said:

@topaz said:

@TimRussell said:

• Probably the best of them would be the drummer in garageband. Easy and flexible enough.

Problem? You can not divide into individual drums (there's a method but you will lose the fills) and you cannot change the individual drums, only the whole set is allowed and normally the feel changes completely.

Why not a toontrack ezdrummer for ipad? Who knows... maybe we are a tiny small niche that nobody cares about....

• @topaz said:
    Thread here.

@TimRussell said:

@topaz said:

@TimRussell said:

I find the LUMbeats drum apps reliable. I am not having the problems you mention.

• Really, no reduce transparency bug in ibassist song mode ?

No doubling bars in funk drummer song mode ?

@espiegel123 said:

@topaz said:
    Thread here.

@TimRussell said:

@topaz said:

@TimRussell said:

I find the LUMbeats drum apps reliable. I am not having the problems you mention.

• @topaz said:
    Really, no reduce transparency bug in ibassist song mode ?

@espiegel123 said:

@topaz said:
    Thread here.

@TimRussell said:

@topaz said:

@TimRussell said:

I don't have Funk Drummer . So can't comment but have not seen major complaints about it. I haven't run into the transparency bug. I have several other LUMBeats apps and have no issues with them.

• Transparency bug has been confirmed by others.

@espiegel123 said:

@topaz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@topaz said:
    Thread here.

@TimRussell said:

@topaz said:

@TimRussell said:

I don't have Funk Drummer . So can't comment but have not seen major complaints about it. I haven't run into the transparency bug. I have several other LUMBeats apps and have no issues with them.

• @topaz said:
    Transparency bug has been confirmed by others.

@espiegel123 said:

@topaz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@topaz said:
    Thread here.

@TimRussell said:

@topaz said:

@TimRussell said:

@topaz said:
    Transparency bug has been confirmed by others.

@espiegel123 said:

@topaz said:

@espiegel123 said:

@topaz said:
    Thread here.

@TimRussell said:

@topaz said:

@TimRussell said:

Ok. But it doesn't render it or other LUMbeats apps unusable. Your comments give the impression that LUMBeats apps are particularly buggy or unusable. I don't think that is the case.

• @BillS said:
    I find the included drum loops (both midi and audio) pretty limiting in Cubasis 3. So, I imported a few midi drum loops from Groove Monkee.

Problems were:

1. I could only import one loop at a time via AudioShare, as apparently it is not possible to import folders. So, it takes ages.

Hi @BillS,

Did you try copy/pasting via the Files app?
    Should work with multiple files.

Best,
    Lars

• Thanks for all your responses. I’ll do some digging and try a few things. I have to say that some of the issues I’ve raised on this forum in the last few days re getting Cubasis 3 working the way I need it to (decent drums, amp sims, GeoShred working correctly) all have a potential solution sitting right in front of my nose - GarageBand. Played with it in the past and found it slightly odd coming from a Windows background but I should have another look!

• edited January 2020

Drum session is on sale right now. I just bought it a couple days ago. Not Auv3 😢

It seems to me to be the closest option to Toontrack ez-drummer.

• @topaz said:
    Thread here.

@TimRussell said:

@topaz said:

@TimRussell said:

Solid bcoz it does its bread and butter well.. thats being an awesome virtual drummer and as for other secondary features like song mode for ex .. think there is a bug or two

• @LFS said:

@BillS said:

Problems were:

Hi @BillS,

Best,
    Lars

Will there be a fix for the auto-play in midi? That would help a lot to extend usability. Currently, auto-play only seems to work on audio (for me at least..)

• @chocobitz825 said:

@LFS said:

@BillS said:

Problems were:

Hi @BillS,

Best,
    Lars

Will there be a fix for the auto-play in midi? That would help a lot to extend usability. Currently, auto-play only seems to work on audio (for me at least..)

I don't think so - it only works for internal midi files where the midi file plays back audio in preview mode.

• @LFS said:

@BillS said:

Problems were:

Hi @BillS,

Best,
    Lars

I didn't Lars. Whilst the external midi files don't preview, and then when selected appear on the wrong track it's not worth doing I am afraid.

• @chocobitz825 said:

Hi @chocobitz825,

Thanks for your message.
    For now, the previewer is intended to work with compatible audio files and our factory MIDI files (which include dedicated audio previews).

Best,
    Lars

• @BillS said:

Problems were:

3. Double tapping an external loop doesn’t land on the selected track in Cubasis 3, but creates a new blank track for the loop. This is a bug that I have reported to Steinberg. (This doesn’t happen with midi loops included in Cubasis.)

Is there an drum app or “virtual drummer “ with a reasonable range of loops that works well in Cubasis? Any other suggestions for a drums solution that doesn’t involve tapping out my own rhythms? Guess I’m looking for an iOS equivalent of something like EZ Drummer, Addictive Drums 2 or similar from the VST world.

Just read about Positive Grid’s X Drummer - could I use that as an inter-app or AU?

DrumPerfect Pro easily import/export and extract midi files.
    It has a Auv3 player for multiple instances.
    It comes with a wide range and great number of loops in any style. Free General Midi pack ( kit and patterns ). Plus more than a thousand patterns, songs and kits with IAP packs ( for purchase)

For use in Cubasis:

Compared to AD2 you can check this:

https://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/addictive-drums-2.95598/

How does it sound?

https://soundcloud.com/user-45973677

How does it look?

• Beautiful drum app and one of the best organic sounding too!❤️🙏😂

@Gilbert said:

@BillS said:

Problems were:

DrumPerfect Pro easily import/export and extract midi files.
    It has a Auv3 player for multiple instances.
    It comes with a wide range and great number of loops in any style. Free General Midi pack ( kit and patterns ). Plus more than a thousand patterns, songs and kits with IAP packs ( for purchase)

For use in Cubasis:

Compared to AD2 you can check this:

https://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/addictive-drums-2.95598/

How does it sound?

https://soundcloud.com/user-45973677

How does it look?

• @LFS said:

@chocobitz825 said:

Hi @chocobitz825,

Thanks for your message.
    For now, the previewer is intended to work with compatible audio files and our factory MIDI files (which include dedicated audio previews).

Best,
    Lars

Ah I see. At one single instance Cubasis seemingly auto-played an imported midi file through the midi instrument I had armed, and though it seems that's not the intended function, it would be great for people using midi loops.

• @Gilbert that's an excellent link. Thanks. didn't know it was possible in Cubasis that way.

Is there a good/current set of YouTube videos for DPP that you'd recommend?

• @BitterGums said:
    @Gilbert that's an excellent link. Thanks. didn't know it was possible in Cubasis that way.

Is there a good/current set of YouTube videos for DPP that you'd recommend?

Thanks.

Here’s the official channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0EbgPR6sVuneM76T5tJ34g/videos?disable_polymer=1

And more to be found there:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=drumperfect+pro

For any other questions please ask me.

• @ecou said:
    Drum session is on sale right now. I just bought it a couple days ago. Not Auv3 😢

It seems to me to be the closest option to Toontrack ez-drummer.

Ok I just bought it myself and feel like I just threw away ten bucks 😡 Is there no way to kill all that reverb? Even the jazz kits have the most un-natural reverb I’ve ever heard, and the rock kits are just sopping wet, is there a page I’m missing here or is all that reverb part of the samples?

• Use the Stem out kit. Or even better yet use Beatformer au in AUM to take away any reverb or space. It works like a charm!