Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NEW Akai MPC ONE Stand Alone

Comments

• @Korakios said:

@BiancaNeve said:

@Korakios said:
    iMPC or even BM3 with a generic controller is way different than a standalone unit or software with dedicated controller .

Impc plus mpc fly isn’t that different...

mpc fly vs Studio vs push vs maschine , or even TriggerFinger Pro ,Atom , come on , fly was a joke compared to those .

Fly plus iPad was fully mobile solution in size of a small laptop - sure it had limitations but it’s unfair to call it a joke.

• @kobamoto I agree, the MPC stuff is really powerful, and there are so many things that can be done with it...

Just the integration of MPC Live and an iPad with Ableton Link via wi-fi is killer. Add auto-sampling, track exploding, effects, track types, multiple ins and outs, bluetooth, and on and on.

The Live was only missing disk streaming. As soon as that returns I am back on the MPC Live train :)

The MPC One just doesn’t do it for me.

• It seems a no go for me as I can't see live timestretching anywhere...

• Or disk streaming?

• @crony said:
    It seems a no go for me as I can't see live timestretching anywhere...

Where've ya looked?

• @Xsyst said:

@stormbeats said:
    Akai have lost the plot. Cheap looking - i will stick with my 23 year old mpc & s950 . My ipad for on the move too.

Listen to this Man!

@Xsyst meaning?

• @stormbeats said:

@Xsyst said:

@stormbeats said:
    Akai have lost the plot. Cheap looking - i will stick with my 23 year old mpc & s950 . My ipad for on the move too.

Listen to this Man!

@Xsyst meaning?

Meaning is that I agree with them words you wrote.

Someone else mistook my words when i said “wait untill the shine wears off” as if i meant mpc in general when I was expressing
    the view point that in a year or two people wont be so in love with this model and have moved up and on, just like Akai intends.

But what do i know? Im just words on a screen.

• AccurateBeats seems to dig it more than the live...

I’m scared all the tact switches will fail easily like on the old 1000s/2500s haha.

• No phono preamp, either.

• @mrcanister said:

@crony said:

Where've ya looked?

Everywhere I could.

• edited January 2020

@crony said:

@mrcanister said:

@crony said:

Where've ya looked?

Everywhere I could.

In less than 10 seconds ,by googling "mpc live timestretch" it seems live has a cpu optimized (cheap) algorithm and for better results there is an offline mode :)
    Edit: One,live&X have the same OS-engine

• edited January 2020

@Korakios ok didn't realize for the same engine, but all videos and even on the official website, no specs or demonstration of timestretching...
    Glad to be wrong then.

PS : I know how to google, I just answered to a "Where've ya looked?" while I said "It seems a no go for me as I can't see live timestretching anywhere...And until now, there's no video or anything on Akai official page mentionning "timestretching"
    Thanks Zorro.

• @crony said:
    @Korakios ok didn't realize for the same engine, but all videos and even on the official website, no specs or demonstration of timestretching...
    Glad to be wrong then.

No stress... :)

• @papertiger said:
    i hope Drambo gets released soon so I don’t buy this! Lol.

Sampling is the Achilles’ Heel of iOS.

No love for BM3?

@kobamoto said:
    I dunno, seems like nobody cares about features anymore +in conjunction with a particular workflow.... none of the comparisons in this thread with the exception of the mentioning of a macbook even remotely compete with the firmware running on the mpc one. You can't just stop at the letters MPC you gotta go into the manuals and look at the list of features and you will see.... too many to list, for example what other drumsampler do you have that allows you to put 4 layers of samples on a pad, sculpt them, add all manner of FX, and then freeze/flatten all of that on the pad into one sample?

the answer is nothing

May take a few more taps, but BM3 is capable of all of that. I haven’t used an MPC since the 2500 (about 15 years ago), so maybe I’m missing something else?

Not trolling btw. And yes, I’ve become fiercely loyal to BM3 since its stability improvements.

• @FlowRxPowRx

I love BM3, but it’s got a DAW attached to it that I can’t hang with. :smile:

I’ve tried several times to give it a go and I just can’t deal with it. The sampler is fantastic, though. I dream of it as an AU that I could use in AUM, Cubasis, NanoStudio 2... whichever damn DAW is making me the least grumpy at the time.

• edited January 2020

@FlowRxPowRx said:

@papertiger said:
    i hope Drambo gets released soon so I don’t buy this! Lol.

Sampling is the Achilles’ Heel of iOS.

No love for BM3?

@kobamoto said:
    I dunno, seems like nobody cares about features anymore +in conjunction with a particular workflow.... none of the comparisons in this thread with the exception of the mentioning of a macbook even remotely compete with the firmware running on the mpc one. You can't just stop at the letters MPC you gotta go into the manuals and look at the list of features and you will see.... too many to list, for example what other drumsampler do you have that allows you to put 4 layers of samples on a pad, sculpt them, add all manner of FX, and then freeze/flatten all of that on the pad into one sample?

the answer is nothing

May take a few more taps, but BM3 is capable of all of that. I haven’t used an MPC since the 2500 (about 15 years ago), so maybe I’m missing something else?

Not trolling btw. And yes, I’ve become fiercely loyal to BM3 since its stability improvements.

I love the 2500, sometimes most of all but it doesn't have a freeze per pad function either...
    I think it would take allot of sample editing and resampling in addition to extra steps to emulate the new mpcs freeze feature in bm3 or elsewhere but at that point it wouldn't be the same.

• Just saw Nektar Aura Beats Controller, it looks nice. The Namm videos where super boring , same demostration, but first thought :
    what if it supported BM3 ?

• @Korakios said:
    Just saw Nektar Aura Beats Controller, it looks nice. The Namm videos where super boring , same demostration, but first thought :

In which way? AFAIR that controller is fully programable so it should be possible use it with BM3 as is.

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@Korakios said:
    Just saw Nektar Aura Beats Controller, it looks nice. The Namm videos where super boring , same demostration, but first thought :

In which way? AFAIR that controller is fully programable so it should be possible use it with BM3 as is.

Bi-directional way :)

• @Korakios said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@Korakios said:

So by Intua?

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@Korakios said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@Korakios said:

So by Intua?

Hope so...seeing more controllers gradually focusing on integration ,means soon or later (well much later I suppose) ,someone will jump to iOS platform .

• @Korakios said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@Korakios said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@Korakios said:

So by Intua?

Hope so...seeing more controllers gradually focusing on integration ,means soon or later (well much later I suppose) ,someone will jump to iOS platform .

Mmmm... I never put the enough energy to understand how BM3 mapping worked but as far as I understand it should be possible to work a bit (and better in the Intua forum probably) to get something useful.
    I love TR sequencers and I will love to see more of them integrated in control surfaces but my experience with the Trigger Finger Pro make me be a bit unconfident until someone else tries it and makes clear it will worth the effort.

Said that... what do you will love to see as integration? Maybe someone is talking about it in their forum (intua). Did you check it?

• edited January 2020

gearslutz crosspost- "oscar1

You already have that exact thing in MPC and Force. It is called Keygroup. It uses 4 elements per group engine which is very similar to what actually Fantom G used. (also the new Fantom has still 4 elements, but they added more stuff - however the old fantom g is extremely similar engine to what you find in MPC and Force).

Where this engine came from is actually the old AKAI sampler (S5000 etc...). It is the exact engine in a software form - to the point that you can actually translate old AKAI sampler disk to MPC/Force keygroups and I've done it on numerous times.

So yes, you can do the exact same sound library that is for example in Fantom G - but you would need the original Fantom G looped samples with the loop points, and that is the main issue here - you can't. To create short yet well looped samples is a ton of work (months). Instead you can quickly autosample a sound that will be inefficient, uses long samples and eat lot of RAM. But it will sound close to the original.

As I mentioned, because you can translate AKAI sampler discs (MPC and force actually still do read the old AKP format), they come with their own already looped samples so 95% of the work is done for you to create keygroup.

I've done pretty impressive keygroups myself on the Force. Really its engine is pretty standard keyboard engine and the re-pitch of samples is pretty transparently sounding.

We often throw $hit at AKAI on these forums (myself including) but to be honest the engines in MPC are not some amateurish gobbledygook stuff but carry decades of previous work and certain well respected pedigree. And AKAI added tons of new stuff licensing from AIR and that tripled the whole sonic power - like the synths plugins are often understated, but likes of Roland or Korg would have no real issue to release each of them as yet another $400 keyboard with mini keys - so we have a tons of overlooked and underappreciated goodies in MPC that are not just some quickly collected freebies."

and Bmanic's Response...

100% false information

Yes, the AKAI MPC Live/X/One/Force has 4 elements (layers) but that's pretty much where all the similarities end.

The AKAI sample synthesis system is extremely simplistic. Just a simple example: Envelopes and LFOs modulate certain key parameters in only one single direction. There is literally no way of modulating some things bidirectionally or in the opposite direction.

Same goes for keytracking or velocity tracking of key parameters. You can only track in a single direction.

Also you have literally zero control over how the LFO behaves in terms of it's phase and trigger cycle.

Then there is the fact that a huge amount of parameters have no modulation capabilities at all, unlike the JV/XP/Fantom (and korg/yamaha similar offerings).

Thus, conclusion: NO you can NOT at all replace old synths sound library with the AKAI MPC ecosystem, no matter how hard you try. You can't even duplicate some of the most simple programs due to the lack of bidirectional modulation capabilities of something as simple as keytracking and velocity on important modulation sources.

It's very unfortunate when people spread misinformation like you just did above. The AKAI MPC is nowhere near the synthesis capabilities with it's sampling engine compared to something like a Roland JV/Fantom/XP/whatever series of synths (or any similar Korg or Yamaha synth). AKAI's synthesis capabilities are SUPER simplistic and completely idiotic in comparison.

• Another great vid from Accurate Beats:

• @kobamoto said:
    gearslutz crosspost- "oscar1

You already have that exact thing in MPC and Force. It is called Keygroup. It uses 4 elements per group engine which is very similar to what actually Fantom G used. (also the new Fantom has still 4 elements, but they added more stuff - however the old fantom g is extremely similar engine to what you find in MPC and Force).

Where this engine came from is actually the old AKAI sampler (S5000 etc...). It is the exact engine in a software form - to the point that you can actually translate old AKAI sampler disk to MPC/Force keygroups and I've done it on numerous times.

So yes, you can do the exact same sound library that is for example in Fantom G - but you would need the original Fantom G looped samples with the loop points, and that is the main issue here - you can't. To create short yet well looped samples is a ton of work (months). Instead you can quickly autosample a sound that will be inefficient, uses long samples and eat lot of RAM. But it will sound close to the original.

As I mentioned, because you can translate AKAI sampler discs (MPC and force actually still do read the old AKP format), they come with their own already looped samples so 95% of the work is done for you to create keygroup.

I've done pretty impressive keygroups myself on the Force. Really its engine is pretty standard keyboard engine and the re-pitch of samples is pretty transparently sounding.

We often throw $hit at AKAI on these forums (myself including) but to be honest the engines in MPC are not some amateurish gobbledygook stuff but carry decades of previous work and certain well respected pedigree. And AKAI added tons of new stuff licensing from AIR and that tripled the whole sonic power - like the synths plugins are often understated, but likes of Roland or Korg would have no real issue to release each of them as yet another $400 keyboard with mini keys - so we have a tons of overlooked and underappreciated goodies in MPC that are not just some quickly collected freebies."

and Bmanic's Response...

100% false information

Yes, the AKAI MPC Live/X/One/Force has 4 elements (layers) but that's pretty much where all the similarities end.

The AKAI sample synthesis system is extremely simplistic. Just a simple example: Envelopes and LFOs modulate certain key parameters in only one single direction. There is literally no way of modulating some things bidirectionally or in the opposite direction.

Same goes for keytracking or velocity tracking of key parameters. You can only track in a single direction.

Also you have literally zero control over how the LFO behaves in terms of it's phase and trigger cycle.

Then there is the fact that a huge amount of parameters have no modulation capabilities at all, unlike the JV/XP/Fantom (and korg/yamaha similar offerings).

Thus, conclusion: NO you can NOT at all replace old synths sound library with the AKAI MPC ecosystem, no matter how hard you try. You can't even duplicate some of the most simple programs due to the lack of bidirectional modulation capabilities of something as simple as keytracking and velocity on important modulation sources.

It's very unfortunate when people spread misinformation like you just did above. The AKAI MPC is nowhere near the synthesis capabilities with it's sampling engine compared to something like a Roland JV/Fantom/XP/whatever series of synths (or any similar Korg or Yamaha synth). AKAI's synthesis capabilities are SUPER simplistic and completely idiotic in comparison.

That's due these aren't like the olds and even less like the jjOS but that doesn't means crap. Just not similar or legacy. To be fair we have nowadays lots of tools which made olds be... old.
    Anyways the olds are still used and widespread due these are still useful machines. I look at second hand market old Rolands too, sometimes I just want a box of buttons to play and forgot about CCK3 and hubs. I'm getting @kobamoto older. :trollface:

• these instruments are definitely full of value... even though all of the parameters aren't translated by the instrument translator software it's still extremely useful...

• Just use your iOS device as a sound module with the mpc/force line.

The key group engine isn’t a very deep engine, but it does have a few tricks that other workstations don’t such as round robin/cycle kit or an essential random layer trigger mode....those couple of things are nice

But no bidirectional controller modulation yet

If you want to really make patches for the mpc/force...it could be a worthy investment to buy sample robot...it’s essentially THE last word in auto sampling. There is also chickensys translator as well, for translating patches from workstations and synths to each other etc.

If akai could load .ogg or .flac And not convert it to wave...that could change a hell of a lot for file size issues.