Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for simple audio editor

Looking for something I can take a single wav file and edit it. Main one is being able to select a section, or the entire thing, and raise and lower the gain, or silence it. Conversion between formats would be nice but not terribly essential. I can do this in Auria, but be nice to have something as easy to use as Audioshare.

Comments

• edited January 2020

2nd vote for Twisted Wave

• I find that both Twisted Wave and Auditor are key tools in my toolbox. Auditor does not have the depth of DSP effects but it has a much more powerful editor. You can split files into regions and move regions around (and cross fade them). I just used it to do some extensive edits of a very long guitar jam that I couldn't have done in any app other than Auria Pro.

It also lets you set up a tempo-based timeline or use samples or time as timelines--which are quite handy.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I find that both Twisted Wave and Auditor are key tools in my toolbox. Auditor does not have the depth of DSP effects but it has a much more powerful editor. You can split files into regions and move regions around (and cross fade them). I just used it to do some extensive edits of a very long guitar jam that I couldn't have done in any app other than Auria Pro.

It also lets you set up a tempo-based timeline or use samples or time as timelines--which are quite handy.

I read the manual. It’s a great looking tool, except that I didn’t see any way to change the gain on a selected section. You can silence, which is great, but not change the gain.

• Found Hokusai, which does the basic stuff I need for free. I can change gain and silence sections, and save out to files. If I need more I can upgrade. Looks perfect.

• @rickwaugh said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I find that both Twisted Wave and Auditor are key tools in my toolbox. Auditor does not have the depth of DSP effects but it has a much more powerful editor. You can split files into regions and move regions around (and cross fade them). I just used it to do some extensive edits of a very long guitar jam that I couldn't have done in any app other than Auria Pro.

I read the manual. It’s a great looking tool, except that I didn’t see any way to change the gain on a selected section. You can silence, which is great, but not change the gain.

Twisted Wave or the wave editor in Caustic.

• @rickwaugh said:

In Auditor you can add a new layer and copy your selection to it. Layers are like independent tracks with their own level and pan settings. When you’re happy with the results you can bounce the layers back together.

• @rickwaugh said:

@espiegel123 said:

What might not be obvious is that you can do that using bounce. Each layer has a volume and pan knob. When you use the bounce command, selected regions are bounced into a new layer with the volume and pan you set taken into account. So, to effect just one region, move it onto its own layer, adjust the volume and pan and bounce the selection.

• Cubasis 3 is full of flaws at the moment but you can split the audio, adjust gain on that section and mute that section which I find super useful. Weirdly you have to do this on the track and not the wave editor unless you wish to trim the section. Not perfect maybe an option.

• Yes, Auditor is pretty bomb. Except for the thin icons and type, dimmed and set on a dark background.
    I know there’s a lot of info to put a UI sometimes, but make it ‘effing legible.

• Hokusai editor - has an excellent noise removal feature (but then came along Brusfri)

• edited January 2022

Bumping this thread. I have a lot of longer samples where I need to edit out bit and clips for use in other apps. Would love to have some basic effects, but the main thing is prepping samples for performance in other apps or on my Octatrack. Ideally should be able to work with lots of formats.

Actually, I’d be ok with not so simple — time, pitch, printing Auv3fx, but the basics are what’s most important.

• @JES000000 said:
    Bumping this thread. I have a lot of longer samples where I need to edit out bit and clips for use in other apps. Would love to have some basic effects, but the main thing is prepping samples for performance in other apps or on my Octatrack. Ideally should be able to work with lots of formats.

Actually, I’d be ok with not so simple — time, pitch, printing Auv3fx, but the basics are what’s most important.

Twisted Wave is good if you like to work with long samples. It has a good time-stretching algo and can apply AUv3s.

• WaveBox and GoldWave are two more that have been reviewed in this forum.

• While this is an old thread the topic is still more than alive...

We do have Twisted Wave, Neon, Auditor, Wavebox, Cubasis, AudioCopy, Hokusai, BM3, Koala, NS2, Audiolayer etc. for editing unfortunately they all fall short one way or the other which makes me really sad :(

It's almost at the point for me when I'll just go back to desktop for sampling and sample-editing...

While app A might have a feature app B lacks app B lacks a feature present in app A and app C might have a feature both apps A and B lack forcing un-necessary file-juggling between apps.

These are basic things like being able to select which inputs (Stereo, Mono etc.) to use for sampling and select the sample-rate and bit-depth for starters.

Stereo to Mono conversions lacks the option to keep Left or Right channel which is needed if the app in question only allows to select Mono or Stereo input but no channel selection! (Ie. to avoid mixing channels 1 & 2 to 'Mono' when only one channel is needed).

Processing samples thru effects either in real-time or prior to sampling to 'burn in' the effects.
    (ex. add effects to an audio-file and bounce it to a new file while retaining its stereo/mono integrity, this could be a simple thing like pass the sample thru high-pass filter to remove low-end rumble, adjust/correct DC offset, normalize, compress/limit etc.).

Optional snap to zero-crossing when moving the selection handles.

Adding and editing meta-data when exporting files (Loop Points, BPM, Root-Note, Markers/Labels/Slice-Points etc.).

Unfortunately apps like Audacity will never make it to iOS due to Appstore Licensing issues.

Twisted Wave on iPad/iPhone will likely stay limited when it comes to features compared to its desktop counterpart...
    (ie. Record on iPad/iPhone edit on desktop).

The above is no rocket science when it comes to sample-editing but on iOS it's a hassle...

...and it takes just a few clicks in Logic...

I look forward to the day when we finally get Logic for iPad :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• edited August 2022

Caustic was ahead of it’s time for sample editing. It may have not done everything @Samu is looking for but it certainly did a lot more than most people know. Too bad development stopped.

For me, a lot of the apps mentioned above don’t have a comfortable workflow.

Hopefully a new version of AudioShare will address this. I’m pretty sure it’s in progress but who knows how far along it is. I will pay full price for it because I know it will be worth. Current AudioShare is something I use almost daily so I’ve certainly got my money out of it! 😎👍🏼

@j_liljedahl

• @anickt said:
    Caustic was ahead of it’s time for sample editing. It may have not done everything @Samu is looking for but it certainly did a lot more than most people know. Too bad development stopped.

Yepp, the editor in Caustic is very well thought out and easy to use with 'drag zones' etc.
    (I especially like the 'hidden' SFX generator that can be unlocked).

For me, a lot of the apps mentioned above don’t have a comfortable workflow.

Bingo, they don't feel like iOS/iPad apps. Twistedwave is for me the most usable of them but fails with too many AUv3 Plug-ins.
    (I do hope the developer keeps an eye on the crash-reports though...).

Hopefully a new version of AudioShare will address this. I’m pretty sure it’s in progress but who knows how far along it is. I will pay full price for it because I know it will be worth.

Yepp, I have collected a few 'ideas' that I will share when the time is right...

First of all I wish AudioShare could drop the 'File Provider Extension' as it really is not needed anymore.

This would increase the compatibility with apps the use the new way of dealing with files on iOS/iPadOS with Sitala and Koala being the pioneers in this area.

In practice AudioShare could disable the 'File Provider Extension' and make the 'iTunes Folder' visible to the Files.app with a new name simply called 'Audio Share' and pop up like any other folder that is present on 'On My iPad/iPhone' (Think BM3, Cubasis, NS2, Gadget etc.).

When it does this we could just 'link' to the whole AudioShare folder from any app without creating duplicates.

One can always dream :sunglasses:

Cheers!

• McDMcD
    edited August 2022

Well, case closed. Time for that M1 Mac to solve this gap in IOS apps. S-A-M-U is the expert and is sad so I won’t tag him any more. He needs a little me time to cope with this app depression or recession.

“Honey, editing audio requires a screen that you don’t touch. It’s like musical surgery and well… Germs get in. So, no touching.”

She’s a nurse and will get it. No germs in the procedure. Sterile, gloves and gown. She’ll will she me out of gown and I can say I’m not editing audio but she’ll make me wipe down the keyboard periodically anyway. Trade offs.

• @Samu said:

@anickt said:

Hopefully a new version of AudioShare will address this. I’m pretty sure it’s in progress but who knows how far along it is. I will pay full price for it because I know it will be worth.

So far the only progress is ideas and plans.

Yepp, I have collected a few 'ideas' that I will share when the time is right...

First of all I wish AudioShare could drop the 'File Provider Extension' as it really is not needed anymore.

This would increase the compatibility with apps the use the new way of dealing with files on iOS/iPadOS with Sitala and Koala being the pioneers in this area.

In practice AudioShare could disable the 'File Provider Extension' and make the 'iTunes Folder' visible to the Files.app with a new name simply called 'Audio Share' and pop up like any other folder that is present on 'On My iPad/iPhone' (Think BM3, Cubasis, NS2, Gadget etc.).

When it does this we could just 'link' to the whole AudioShare folder from any app without creating duplicates.

Yes, something like this is the plan. When I made the File Provider Extension solution, there was no other way for apps to share access to files on iOS. However, I can't just remove it because people need to be able to migrate from it. But perhaps it will be enough to keep access to it within AudioShare, and remove the File Provider Extension.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

Yes, something like this is the plan. When I made the File Provider Extension solution, there was no other way for apps to share access to files on iOS. However, I can't just remove it because people need to be able to migrate from it. But perhaps it will be enough to keep access to it within AudioShare, and remove the File Provider Extension.

I’d wonder if a separate AudioShare v2 app would be ref way to go, so the 2 generations could exist side by side and it might be possible to come up with a migration function?

• @MadGav said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

I’d wonder if a separate AudioShare v2 app would be ref way to go, so the 2 generations could exist side by side and it might be possible to come up with a migration function?

Yes, my thinking is to make it a separate new app, since it means more or less rewriting it from scratch. Actually it will be v3, since the current AudioShare is v2 :)

• @j_liljedahl said:

@MadGav said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

Yes, my thinking is to make it a separate new app, since it means more or less rewriting it from scratch. Actually it will be v3, since the current AudioShare is v2 :)

Umm. Yes please. However you wanna do it, I’m sure it will be amazing. I know it could be awhile but I’m already excited, lol.