Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mononoke for dummies

I know that not everyone is going to read the manual, so I thought I might post some tips in this thread, because this synth is very different to a traditional synth - starting with the very basics which is note input.

So first of all Mononoke is not one synth, but two completely independent synths, each of which can play 4 notes. The 4 keys on the left control the left-hand synth, the 4 keys on the right control the right-hand synth:

The left-hand synth plays an octave lower than the right-hand one.

So at the most basic musical level you need to think carefully about which notes you want to assign to those keys. My first instinct was to use the 8 pads to assign notes in a scale, but that is really not going to produce the most musical results because the first four notes in the scale will be played in one voice, and the last four scale degrees in a completely different voice, and an octave higher. So you need to rethink the whole idea of a keyboard here and use a fresh approach.

One approach that could work is to consider the left-hand instrument as a musical bed, and assign notes as if you were making a chord progression, for example: A, C, E, A (with the second A an octave higher).

Then you assign 4 notes to the right-hand synth that play the role of a melody or lead, you could use the same notes, or a variation - but be careful choosing the intervals because how consonant or dissonant they are is going to affect the resulting sounds profoundly. Choosing octaves or fifths is going to be nicely harmonic, choosing 2nds, 4ths or 7ths is going be more dissonant.

So for example if you are using A minor you could assign the notes A, C, E, A to the left-hand synth and then assign some of the notes of the minor pentatonic scale to the right-hand synth, for example A, C, D, E or A, C, E, G.

If you wanted a Mixolydian flavour you could assign the notes C, E, G, A# to both sides (the results will be nicely musical).

But the main point to bear in mind is that you are limited to a very narrow range of notes, so choose those notes very carefully. The synth is designed for drones, so this makes perfect sense in that context.

And remember that these limitations still exist even if you are using an external controller, each of the two synths can only pay the notes that are assigned to the keys, notes outside of the mappings will simply be remapped.

Comments

• Thanks! 😎

• Appreciate the info @richardyot

• Nice info 👍. Would you mind correcting the thread title please for future search results? Thanks 🙏

• @gusgranite said:
    Nice info 👍. Would you mind correcting the thread title please for future search results? Thanks 🙏

Oops - done 😱

• Thanks for the info 😊👍

• Thanks Richard, this helps hugely.

• Awesome post, thanks. I was going to avoid Mononoke because I figured I’d get frustrated trying to understand it, but your post may change my mind.

• @richardyot sincerely thank you for your post.

• Does anyone know if the pads use 3d touch on old iPhones? Also if the midi out can control other synths?

Ta,

Chris

• @Krupa said:
    Does anyone know if the pads use 3d touch on old iPhones? Also if the midi out can control other synths?

MIDI out should work, no idea about 3D touch though, but likely not.

• I’m a dummy
    File under
    After a trip to the doctor to see if I have a wonky heart , this machine is beginning to sound like the inside of my head!!

• Ta Richard👍

• @richardyot this is really helpful. I was just firing away with no clue 😂👍

• @barabajagal wow. Period! „Ma heartbeat“ is the best i have heart yet ;)
    Thanks for sharing. I was trying to get something like Celer or Hotel Neon or maybe mount shrine. You nailed this one!

• @richardyot Thank you for sharing your insights of Mononoke.. makes much more sense..

• @royor said:
    @richardyot Thank you for sharing your insights of Mononoke.. makes much more sense..

Yeah sorry I wanted to second this of course. Thanks for making the effort to give a quick start, man!!!

• Thanks for this. I haven’t picked up the app yet, but it’s nice to know what I’d be getting into if I do.. :)

• Here's a quick jam in C Mixolydian, with a few additional FX apps:

• Very nice sir, think I'm going to be like one of those rats with an electrode in its pleasure centres with this instrument in my headphones 🤣

• great stuff here!

• @richardyot said:
    Here's a quick jam in C Mixolydian, with a few additional FX apps:

Awesome! Best video I've seen yet for this app (as in NOW I want to get it after watching). Great stuff!

• @Halftone said:

@richardyot said:

Awesome! Best video I've seen yet for this app (as in NOW I want to get it after watching). Great stuff!

Thanks! Glad you like it 😎

• @richardyot said:

Airport lounge in heaven.

• When playing mononoke with my Seaboard block or Roli block in AUM or Cubasis, do I need it set to Midi?

I get nothing in either host when setting Mononoke to MPE, which seems counterintuitive.

• @robertreynolds said:
    When playing mononoke with my Seaboard block or Roli block in AUM or Cubasis, do I need it set to Midi?

I get nothing in either host when setting Mononoke to MPE, which seems counterintuitive.

No, you need to have it on MPE when using MPE controllers as you’d expect. Are you routing the controller into Mononoke?

• @richardyot said:
    I know that not everyone is going to read the manual, so I thought I might post some tips in this thread, because this synth is very different to a traditional synth - starting with the very basics which is note input.

So first of all Monoke is not one synth, but two completely independent synths, each of which can play 4 notes. The 4 keys on the left control the left-hand synth, the 4 keys on the right control the right-hand synth:

The left-hand synth plays an octave lower than the right-hand one.

So at the most basic musical level you need to think carefully about which notes you want to assign to those keys. My first instinct was to use the 8 pads to assign notes in a scale, but that is really not going to produce the most musical results because the first four notes in the scale will be played in one voice, and the last four scale degrees in a completely different voice, and an octave higher. So you need to rethink the whole idea of a keyboard here and use a fresh approach.

One approach that could work is to consider the left-hand instrument as a musical bed, and assign notes as if you were making a chord progression, for example: A, C, E, A (with the second A an octave higher).

Then you assign 4 notes to the right-hand synth that play the role of a melody or lead, you could use the same notes, or a variation - but be careful choosing the intervals because how consonant or dissonant they are is going to affect the resulting sounds profoundly. Choosing octaves or fifths is going to be nicely harmonic, choosing 2nds, 4ths or 7ths is going be more dissonant.

So for example if you are using A minor you could assign the notes A, C, E, A to the left-hand synth and then assign some of the notes of the minor pentatonic scale to the right-hand synth, for example A, C, D, E or A, C, E, G.

If you wanted a Mixolydian flavour you could assign the notes C, E, G, A# to both sides (the results will be nicely musical).

But the main point to bear in mind is that you are limited to a very narrow range of notes, so choose those notes very carefully. The synth is designed for drones, so this makes perfect sense in that context.

And remember that these limitations still exist even if you are using an external controller, each of the two synths can only pay the notes that are assigned to the keys, notes outside of the mappings will simply be remapped.

Nice. This one unblocked me 👍

• edited January 2020

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:
    When playing mononoke with my Seaboard block or Roli block in AUM or Cubasis, do I need it set to Midi?

No, you need to have it on MPE when using MPE controllers as you’d expect. Are you routing the controller into Mononoke?

I am. For example.

1. I connect my block in AUM through settings (it appears connected)
    2. I add mononoke to a channel.
    3. I add Noise melody to a channel.
    4. I route the block to both Mononoke and Noise Melody using midi routing.

Result: I can play Noise melody AU fine. I get absolutely nothing in Mononoke.

I’ve restarted iPad. I’ve also duplicated in Cubasis 3. Neither block or seaboard block work with Mononoke In MPE mode but work with other MPE synths.

I’m likely doing something really stupid here, but I can’t figure it out.

• @robertreynolds said:

you gotta really press hard on the keys... kinda weird i dunno if that’s a problem with mpe, aum , noke , me 🤷🏻‍♂️ but for example the mpe in spacecraft requires very little pressure

• @robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

I am. For example.

I’ve restarted iPad. I’ve also duplicated in Cubasis 3. Neither block or seaboard block work with Mononoke In MPE mode but work with other MPE synths.

Does AUM's built-in keyboard work when you switch to MIDI mode?

• @brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

I am. For example.

Does AUM's built-in keyboard work when you switch to MIDI mode?

Yessir. AUM keyboard works fine. And both the block and seaboard also work when in midi mode.

I’m using the latest version of Mononoke on an IPad Pro with iOS 13.3.