Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommendations for AUv3 Reverbs?

Can anyone recommend some good AUv3 reverbs specifically for ambient music and sound design?

I currently have EOS and Kosmonaut (not technically a reverb but it can create some nice reverbs).

I have some IAA ones as well but I'm looking to stick to AUv3 now. Blackhole is an obvious but it's pricey. I was looking at 4pockets Shimmer which looks like a good contender but curious if there are others I should consider

Comments

• edited January 2020

Toneboosters Reverb

• Eos and Blackhole are basically my only reverbs. I have one other one I occasionally use and the 4pockets shimmer. Blackhole is worth the price.

• @AudioGus said:
    Toneboosters Reverb

Thanks, I just watched demo on youtube and that does sound great

• Somewhat unique, excellent, .... and free.
    https://apps.apple.com/app/zero-reverb/id1051938245

• AudioReverb by Virsyn is pretty damn good stuff too.

• Tone Booster has the best set of presets I have found... there are close to a dozen shimmers to die for. And so inexpensive. Amazing app... rivals the Eventide and the Fabfilter for a joyful
    reverb.

@Virsyn AudioReverb sound lovely for me. Often goes on sale. Don't miss a sale opportunity.

Bleass Reverb... lots of Morph types of action like Kosmonaut. A Reverb PLUS.

Never forget you can run 2 (or more) reverbs in series and get something that hangs in the air like a fog for ever. People forget about an AUv3 app into the same app. Double your pleasure. EOS into Kosmonaut? or vice versa. Why not? Just keep adding more copies until the DAW runs out of Resources. Then tweak knobs for something magical. Delays are really
    a type of reverb involving parallel walls that make echoes... like a canyon. So, drop a delay into the mix. Bleass and Kosmonaut are one stop shops for these ideas. Modley too... a mix of several FX types.

• @NoiseHorse said:
    AudioReverb by Virsyn is pretty damn good stuff too.

+1

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

A chorus before or after a reverb on a send (so that it's only affecting the reverb) is also a great thing to try.

• Mangledverb can get you the Tim hecker sound if that’s what you want.

• I really like Envelope by ddmf and the old school Zero Reverb by blamsoft. I like their character for synth stuff. Blackhole is great for huge spacey type stuff. Lots of options, good luck.

• @McD said:
    Tone Booster has the best set of presets I have found... there are close to a dozen shimmers to die for. And so inexpensive. Amazing app... rivals the Eventide and the Fabfilter for a joyful
    reverb.

@Virsyn AudioReverb sound lovely for me. Often goes on sale. Don't miss a sale opportunity.

Bleass Reverb... lots of Morph types of action like Kosmonaut. A Reverb PLUS.

Never forget you can run 2 (or more) reverbs in series and get something that hangs in the air like a fog for ever. People forget about an AUv3 app into the same app. Double your pleasure. EOS into Kosmonaut? or vice versa. Why not? Just keep adding more copies until the DAW runs out of Resources. Then tweak knobs for something magical. Delays are really
    a type of reverb involving parallel walls that make echoes... like a canyon. So, drop a delay into the mix. Bleass and Kosmonaut are one stop shops for these ideas. Modley too... a mix of several FX types.

Good point. I put two reverbs on different busses and send tracks to each but I never thing about sending one reverb to another

• It's not exactly a reverb, but I really like "RE-1 Tape Machine" by Kai Aras. For running pad sounds through to make really cool Vangelis types of sounds. I use it with the Delay Time set to 5ms to get that effect.

I read online that Vangelis used Roland RE-201Space Echo Tape Delay units in his set up.

• edited January 2020

very cool reverb is available as IAP in FAC Bandit. Various types (short rooms, middle verbs, long halls). Great advantage is you can use different reverbs (or combine reverbs with other FXs) on 3 different frequency bands... for me most powerful best sounding reverb...

• +1 on the many excellent suggestions above.

Something free and fantastic that hasn’t been mentioned: Spectrum Granular, AKA the free AUv3 port of Mutable Instrument Clouds (open source), covers a staggering amount of deconstructed reverb territory. (There’s the pure reverb stage after every mode. But also, all of the modes have settings on which the sound goes through diffusion effect and gets heavily smeared.). Extending a solid reverb like EOS with Clouds in series will give you a lifetime’s worth of reverb exploration..

With regards to more traditional reverb: is there a specific area in which you find EOS lacking? That might help narrow down which of the excellent options to try. Reverbs come in so many flavors that it helps to be clear on what you’re missing from your current tools.

• I love this forum. We have so many threads that recommend verb plugins and comparison and and and... but instead to butter the thread starter with a „use the search feature“ reply we start to recommend and give ideas, advantages and so on! Great community!

That Said: ToneBoosters Verb and blackhole is the one I use the most also! Beside that I love to run a combination of delay and reverb to let them hang on the ceiling

• In addition to an algorithmic reverb, I find a convolution reverb such as Rooms AU (or FantasyVerb in iFX Rack) to be nice in the arsenal. Impulsation might be good to, but I don't have it.

• @david_2017 said:
    I love this forum. We have so many threads that recommend verb plugins and comparison and and and... but instead to butter the thread starter with a „use the search feature“ reply we start to recommend and give ideas, advantages and so on! Great community!

That Said: ToneBoosters Verb and blackhole is the one I use the most also! Beside that I love to run a combination of delay and reverb to let them hang on the ceiling

To be fair, I did search first and the most recent thread that was specifically "which reverb" I found was from 2018 and a lot changes in iOS apps so I wanted to see if there was anything new I was missing. But yes, this forum is always happy to engage in discussions even if they've been discussed.

On a side note, I've been on dozens and dozens of forums for past 15 years for music and various other topics and this is the only one that I am active in these days because 99% of the people here are polite, civil and genuinely interested and excited about discussing and helping.

• There have been so many reverbs released recently, that I think a new thread is fine. I found it useful, even if I seem to own most of them...

• @wim said:
    Somewhat unique, excellent, .... and free.
    https://apps.apple.com/app/zero-reverb/id1051938245

I love Blamsoft! Reverb, because it is free. Also, because it sounds good.

EOS is versatile, but the controls are small.

Ratshack Reverb is unique and cheap. Not very versatile.

• I use eos2 but I don't quite like it that much... very metallic sound to my ears. I still use it in some cases but still..

Then I bought TB reverb and love it since the beginning. Natural, classy and can be eternal if you like.

• I never got on with DDMF Envelope. For some reason I don't like the sound that I get from it. Probably user error. I feel there's a usecase for it that I either don't get, or don't understand.

Bleass Verb - again, never really use it because I'm not sure what makes it different. Why would I use that rather than Blackhole, or something?

Ratshack reverb - yeah... I'm sure it's useful to someone :)

• The new kid on the block - Eventide Spring Reverb
    https://apps.apple.com/app/spring-reverb/id1480037666

• Another than nobody has mentioned, which I kind of like (it's a single trick, but it works for me) is freezeverb. You can do something similar with Blackhole, but for some reason I really like this one. I will take the wet reverb out of this and then use it as the basis for a synth in synthscaper (say), or mangle it in the Apesoft stuff/, or even just use it as a long loop. As sample fodder it's surprisingly versatile.

Both Apesoft reverbs are good if you want to do experimental stuff. They create very artificial, but interesting, spaces.

Toneboosters Reverb, and the Eventide stuff, are all excellent. EOS is also good, though I use it less now. Blamsoft! Reverb is light on CPU, easy to use and sounds good. My go to when I just want a little bit of reverb.

• I’m looking for a “standard” reverb. I love the reverb on Digitakt and on OP-Z. I’m looking for something to fill the same role in AUv3. I don’t need any ultra-long, crystallized reverb. Just something that sounds like you’re in a physical space, but without convolution.

EOS?

• @mistercharlie said:
    I’m looking for a “standard” reverb. I love the reverb on Digitakt and on OP-Z. I’m looking for something to fill the same role in AUv3. I don’t need any ultra-long, crystallized reverb. Just something that sounds like you’re in a physical space, but without convolution.

EOS?

I'm using toneboosters reverb for standard reverb, ambient reverb, and shimmer effects. It can do it all and does it extremely well... And its cheap!

• @DavidM said:

@mistercharlie said:
    I’m looking for a “standard” reverb. I love the reverb on Digitakt and on OP-Z. I’m looking for something to fill the same role in AUv3. I don’t need any ultra-long, crystallized reverb. Just something that sounds like you’re in a physical space, but without convolution.

EOS?

I'm using toneboosters reverb for standard reverb, ambient reverb, and shimmer effects. It can do it all and does it extremely well... And its cheap!

I think TB's reverb is the most versatile one. There are many very good reverbs, but if I had only one that is the one I'd choose.

• @DavidM @espiegel123 Done! ToneBoosters it is.

• edited July 2020

No mention of 4pockets Visual Reverb? Surprising IMO. I use it and TB. Both excellent. If you are on Cubasis, RoomWorks is a free upgrade.

• https://apps.apple.com/app/stratosphere-cloud-reverb/id1516751210

Anybody tested this?

Mani Consulting Limited Company - Blue Mangoo

• I find myself using it all the time, just very nice classy and easy reverb