Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence/Midi learn experts help needed

1st post on a forum so sorry if poorly done!
I’m using Xequence and Audiobus and am trying to control app parameters using midi cc’s. If the app comes with midi learn or a CC map then it’s pretty straightforward and works well. But what about apps that don’t (e.g FAC, Eventide, Imaginando)?
I bought the Audiobus midi learn iap thinking it might solve this but might be mistaken. Maybe this is more for hardware controllers as I’m not 100% it’s recognising Xequence (only seems to have “virtual midi “ as an option), although it’s definitely recognising available parameters for effects units.
I know you can assign cc’s to parameters in AUM channel info so maybe there’s a way to do it incorporating that?
Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• In Audiobus, click on the MIDI DIN icon, select the AU, then choose the parameter and click on the MIDI listen thing to map a CC to that parameter.

• Hi mojozart. Thanks for responding. The bit you describe works. It’s the selecting the trigger that maybe is the problem. I’ve seen Audiobus recognise controllers on tutorials (nanokey for example) but it only gives me virtual midi as an option and doesn’t recognise Xequence. Maybe a Xequence issue? @SevenSystems might be able to advise?. Thanks again

• edited January 2020

@Zerozerozero said:
    Hi mojozart. Thanks for responding. The bit you describe works. It’s the selecting the trigger that maybe is the problem. I’ve seen Audiobus recognise controllers on tutorials (nanokey for example) but it only gives me virtual midi as an option and doesn’t recognise Xequence. Maybe a Xequence issue? @SevenSystems might be able to advise?. Thanks again

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Forget what I wrote earlier. It's actually a quite easy 35-step process 🤪

I'm using CC 7 (volume) in this example, but you can of course choose any other free controller. And yeah, it would definitely be easier if the target app directly supports MIDI learn...

• @Zerozerozero I've edited my original post (see above). This should work!

• @SevenSystems said:

I love these video manuals! 👍🏼

• @rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

😄 low frame rate, but anyway... 😉

• @SevenSystems said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Old farts are highly experienced with low frame rates.

• Thanks for the guide! That’s pretty much what I’m doing (I think!)? No success though. Maybe this is not possible with the apps I’m using..
    It is giving me parameter lists though...baffled

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Thanks for the guide! That’s pretty much what I’m doing (I think!)? No success though. Maybe this is not possible with the apps I’m using..
    It is giving me parameter lists though...baffled

It definitely works with the app I tried for the example (Poison-202), so yes, it might be a problem with your particular app... can you try a different app just to cross-check? You might also have done some tiny bit differently...

• Have tried with pretty much all my apps that don’t have midi learn function or cc map with no luck. In the poison blurb (I don’t have it) it mentions Midi learn so maybe is a factor?
    It’s possible I’m missing the point with all this...
    Although if midi sequencers (like Xequence) allow you to use controllers as standard then I’m not sure what Audiobus midi learn is used for?
    Thought it might be a way to access otherwise unreachable parameters? User error is also a possibility here 😬

• This is what happens when we're civil to a developer. I'd like to see more of this here.

User has problem. The app developer spends an hour creating training to answer the question.

(Just don't talk politics with one). Just teasing. I love poking @SevenSystems to get him going.

@Brambos and @j_liljedahl are also treated well around here by simply making
    perfect products. That's another approach. Just walk on water. @SevenSystems fills
    an underserved market with pure MIDI excellence like the days of Cakewalk. The good old days before audio.

• @McD said:
    User has problem. The app developer spends an hour creating training to answer the question.

(Just don't talk politics with one). Just teasing. I love poking @SevenSystems to get him going.

You can talk politics with me all day, but privately and in a sound-proofed room ;)
    And yeah, pretty much every one of your posts is 150% "irony level", I always start grinning even before reading them :D

@SevenSystems fills
    an underserved market with pure MIDI excellence like the days of Cakewalk. The good old days before audio.

Though I might be leaving that enlightened path of asceticism due to a democratic vote! :(

@Zerozerozero sorry, I'm out of ideas on this one, so I'll make a little video, even though I hate videos! Hang on.

• @Zerozerozero here we go:

(please note that this version of Xequence looks slightly different because it's the current development branch, but it does work the same for this purpose)

Oh and @Michael, I know I'm an UI/UX Nazi, but I've noticed that none of the UI elements in Audiobus give any kind of visual indication that they're being touched... maybe a tiny tiny nitpicky idea for an update? 🙂💀

• Hanging on excitedly...
    It’s an absolutely stellar app (and I might be not be engaging my brain) so more than happy to be civil 👍🏻

• That’s what I’m doing. ..?
    Guess it must be the apps I’m using.
    I can get some some to use midi learn but these are the ones that had accessible controllers using just Xequence anyway.
    Brings me back to being unsure of when you’d use Audiobus midi learn and why if gives you parameter lists for apps you can’t use in this way...?
    @SevenSystems - thanks so much for your efforts and please keep up the amazing work.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    That’s what I’m doing. ..?
    Guess it must be the apps I’m using.
    I can get some some to use midi learn but these are the ones that had accessible controllers using just Xequence anyway.
    Brings me back to being unsure of when you’d use Audiobus midi learn and why if gives you parameter lists for apps you can’t use in this way...?
    @SevenSystems - thanks so much for your efforts and please keep up the amazing work.

No problem, glad you're happy with the app. Regarding the learn problem, I'm really out of ideas there. Maybe someone else can chime in. Lots of competent people here!

• McDMcD
    edited January 2020

@Zerozerozero said:
    Hanging on excitedly...
    It’s an absolutely stellar app

Which version Xequence 1, 2, 3 or the super-secret:

Xequence Audio Live!

It's being passed around the dark web. Let's start a Xequence Audio Live! (tm) thread and wait 18 months. Who's with me... it could generate 200 pages of rumors. I'll start making fake demos. Then @SevenSystems will have to make the damn app. It won't take that long if he quits his day job and gets to work. Slacker. Start a Kickstarter project!

• edited January 2020

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

...with low FART rate.

Now that I think about it, that’s contradictory. Old + fart = high fart rate

Oh you said frame rate. Damn these old fart/frame eyes. 😜

• @McD said:

@Zerozerozero said:
    Hanging on excitedly...

Xequence Audio Live!

It's being passed around the dark web. Let's start a Xequence Audio Live! (tm) thread and wait 18 months. Who's with me... it could generate 200 pages of rumors. I'll start making fake demos. Then @SevenSystems will have to make the damn app. It won't take that long if he quits his day job and gets to work. Slacker. Start a Kickstarter project!

Now that you mention it, am I now allowed to announce that I find that "Beepstreet Drambo" thread incredibly odd :D I mean, an app that hasn't even been released yet already has a thread with more than 3,000 (three thousand) comments. It's slightly hilarious. What do I have to do to get such a thread for Xequence Audio whatever?

• @SevenSystems said:

@McD said:

@Zerozerozero said:
    Hanging on excitedly...

Xequence Audio Live!

Now that you mention it, am I now allowed to announce that I find that "Beepstreet Drambo" thread incredibly odd :D I mean, an app that hasn't even been released yet already has a thread with more than 3,000 (three thousand) comments. It's slightly hilarious. What do I have to do to get such a thread for Xequence Audio whatever?

Start one and post a pic. Or a video. That should be enough.

Let loose the dogs of the ABF.

• @audiblevideo said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

...with low FART rate.

Now that I think about it, that’s contradictory. Old + fart = high fart rate

Oh you said frame rate. Damn these old fart/frame eyes. 😜

Good to know we're not alone 😂

• I think everyone has overlooked that @Zerozerozero is trying to automate FX, not instruments. It's definitely possible.

1. Add Xequence as the input on the Audiobus MIDI page.
    2. Add MIDI Learn as the output on the lane where Xequence is.
    3. In Xequence, set up an instrument with Audiobus, not Audiobus 3, as the output destination.
    4. On the Audio page in Audiobus, add the FX you want to control.
    5. Tap midi-learn, then the FX, then "Adjust Parameter". Then select the parameter you want to automate.
    6. Switch over to Xequence and send the controller CC you want to use.
    7. Back in Audiobus you will now see "Listening for MIDI" replaced with the CC you sent.
    8. Tap Done to finish mapping.

Getting the right output selected in Step 3 is key.

I'm hoping this solves it without the need for screen-shots, but if not, then let me know and I'll flesh out the example. I tested this with FAC Chorus, the only app I own mentioned in the OP. But any app that exposes AU parameters should work. I believe the problems are with the setup, not any particular app.

• @papertiger said:

@SevenSystems said:

@McD said:

@Zerozerozero said:
    Hanging on excitedly...

Xequence Audio Live!

@SevenSystems thank me later

• @wim Yes! Thank you!
    I’d come close to your method in all my random connecting but no cigar! Can’t tell you how pleased I am! Thank you.
    Incredible knowledge and generosity on this forum as per usual. Thanks to all for your help. 👏👍🏻

• Thanks @wim -- "the dendy of Xequence" 😉

• @gregsmith said:

@papertiger said:

@SevenSystems said:

@McD said:

@Zerozerozero said:
    Hanging on excitedly...

Xequence Audio Live!

Haha... how's the implementation going? 😉

• @SevenSystems said:

@gregsmith said:

@papertiger said:

@SevenSystems said:

@McD said:

@Zerozerozero said:
    Hanging on excitedly...

Xequence Audio Live!

Haha... how's the implementation going? 😉

:D :D :D

• @SevenSystems said:
    Thanks @wim -- "the dendy of Xequence" 😉

No. He's the dendy of Mozaic.
    and the dandy of AUM.
    and the dandy of ....

Smart dude that's always ready to help.

• edited January 2020

Dendy is the @wim of NS2 😂

• ....and Audiobus (that’s where I fell down). Wonder if the manual would benefit the technically challenged if there were some generic connection examples? Maybe even a picture or two ..😬